QuinStreet

36 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Vertical Manager Interview

San Francisco, CA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at QuinStreet in February 2012.

Interview Details – Started with a recruiter interview. From there, I interviewed with a VP about a week later, then another VP a week after that. In each I had to start by explaining the experience on my resume, then answer a few questions. I also had an over-the-phone case study where I was given a basic scenario and had to ask questions to gather the information to make a go or no-go decision.

Interview Questions

• Take me through your resume   View Answer
  • Over the phone case study. You are given a scenario and have to ask questions to make a go or no-go decision. You are not given any prep time, nor are you allowed to use a calculator or excel.   Answer Question

Business Intern Interview

Foster City, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at QuinStreet in October 2010.

Interview Details – Employee referral, submitted resume to their corporate recruiting email. Heard back after a month or so and was called in for on-site interviews. 4 interviews, 30 minutes each, with current employees at manager level. 1 case, 3 behavioral. Case was primarily focused on online marketing. Interviews were more like conversations as fit is a priority at QuinStreet. Loved how professional and considerate the interviewers were and decided to accept.

Interview Question – Describe a time you had a conflict with a co-worker. How did you resolve that conflict and what were the results?   Answer Question

Marketing Analyst Interview

Marketing Analyst
Foster City, CA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at QuinStreet in September 2011.

Interview Details – Quinstreet's HR was very professional all the way through. My first two phone interviews were scheduled quickly and close together. The first one I think was by a HR person (quick simple screening). The second one is by one of the managers that I would directly work with. She was really nice. After talking to her I was scheduled to come in one week later for a 3-hour in person interviewing process.

I was interviewed 1:1 by three different people ( there were supposed to be 4 but one couldn't make it): one director, one senior manager, and one manager. Everyone was on time. The director gave me a good intro of the company and what they do etc. She was nice and straight forward but she gave me a "prioritize" exercise that I felt I was tricked in. After that, it was pretty clear that she wasn't going to hire me because I didn't do exactly what she expected me to do. The other two interviewers were just casual and answered the questions that I had. I honestly didn't have that many because by reading their website, there is no way you can figure out what they do. Any they try to keep it secret that way too.

I was given two really simple maths problems by the last two interviewers. The interviews lasted two hours. I didn't hear from them for one week so I emailed HR and got a standard reject email. Their office is really bright and sleek. Scarily quiet though. It's in a nice office building area close to freeways.

Interview Question – How do you prioritize this list of activities that you have to take care of right now?:
1. A weekly call to a client
2. A presentation you manager needs from you for a meeting
3. A meeting with the IT department
4. An unsatisfied client complaint
5. Something else I can't remember
  View Answer

Senior Java Developer Interview

Foster City, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at QuinStreet in May 2011.

Interview Details – Their HR called first, discussion went well, she told me a lot of things about company and position,

First tech interview also was good, an inidian guy called, he was a very good interviewer, his english very good, I could understand all what he said, his tech skills very good, always explained the problem the way I can understand what exactly we are trying to solve.

Second tech interview was bad, called a lady with a terrible English, some strange accent, maybe Russian, she was e very poor interviewer, questions basically focused on Spring+Hibernate, I had tough problems to understand what exactly she saying or what the question exactly sounds like.

3rd interview was rescheduled 3 times, the guy supposed to interview was always busy and he was not calling. No more calls from their HR about the 3rd Tech interview. 2-3 weeks passed - still no calls about the 3rd interview. I gave up.

Interview Question – Tell me about hibernate 2nd level caching.   Answer Question

Vertical Marketing Manager Interview

Foster City, CA

The process took 3 days - interviewed at QuinStreet in September 2010.

Interview Details – Relatively laid back interviewers, with an emphasis on testing my desire/ability to get my hands "dirty" and role up my sleeves as an operator.

Interview Question – If you were to get an offer and take this job, what would you do in the first 100 days?   Answer Question

Customer Serviced Representative Interview

Portland, OR

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 5 days - interviewed at QuinStreet in May 2010.

Interview Details – I was hired through a staffing agency. I had one interview with the staffing agency. I had 3 phone interviews and 1 1:1 interview. The interview was planned very quickly. I received a call from the staffing agency about an interview later that afternoon and was asked if I could be there-this process felt a little rushed. I had three phone interviews where they described the different work that I would be doing.

The 1:1 interview when I visited this office I could tell immediately it was very laid back office-my interviewer was in jeans and a college football team tshirt and that it was still growing.

Negotiation Details – Ask a lot of questions about the work that you will be doing. I asked questions but not enough. Through a misrepresentation Or misinterpretation this job turned out to be in a field outside of what it appeared to be during the application and interview process.

Java Lead Interview

Foster City, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at QuinStreet in July 2010.

Interview Details – First skills test interview was good. In second interview, person asked me questions on HTML and CSS instead of Java. Java questions were pretty simple

Interview Question – how to pass function in another javascript function   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Foster City, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at QuinStreet in June 2010.

Interview Details – HR was very professional, as they described me about the company and what business model. then i was talking to the technical persons. mostly talked about my work experience and 1 database design question and one java design and implement question, the implementation should have all the syntax correct and it should be production quality code, which i think no one can write in 5 min.

Interview Question – design the database schema and run the query.   Answer Question

Web Producer Interview

Foster City, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at QuinStreet in April 2010.

Interview Details – I interviewed with QuinStreet for a Web Producer position. While uiltimately I did not end up with an offer the process itself was professional and seamless. Their recruiters are knowledgeable about the company and really were able to explain their business. Everyone that I met onsite was very bright and seemed happy with their jobs. While I was dissapointed to not get an offer in the end it was the best thing for all. QuinStreet seems like a great company and I was treated well.

Interview Question – We were given a business case to work through on the board.   Answer Question

Lead Java Engineer Interview

Foster City, CA

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at QuinStreet in January 2010.

Interview Details – First phone interview with a gentleman (an Architect) went very well related to advanced Java.

The second phone interview was a nasty one with a lady with an accent (Russian like may be). She literally started a fight with me on some technologies like Hibernate. I said I did not use it in our project due to X reason. She started shouting at me that "You must use Hibernate no matter what!!" Am not kidding. Same with other frameworks which she started imposing on me saying I must have used them instead of what I used in our previous projects.

There are just so many below par and sloppy Java programmers out there in the field who doesn't even know the basic fundamentals of Java. They just use some fancy Java based frameworks and think that they know every thing about Java.

I in turn asked this lady about basic Concurrency question- what is the purpose of Synchronized keyword in Java. Guess what.. she didn't have any clue on Java concurrency basics like Memory visibility and Critical section.

Interview Questions

• Write an SQL query to find the 3rd max salary in the employee table   Answer Question
  • I asked this lady who was shouting at me on the Hibernate stuff, what is the purpose of Synchronized in Java. She did not know the answer.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Because of this unpleasant lady, seriously. I really liked the first guy who interviewed who seem to be very knowledgeable about Java basics (think about Happens Before, Cmp&Swap) which is rare in my opinion.

Interviews for Top Jobs at QuinStreet