QuinStreet Interview Questions

Updated Sep 30, 2014

2.9

Senior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at QuinStreet in May 2013.

Very unprofessional. The job I applied for was that of a Sr. Java Developer. But when I received the offer, the title stated Java developer. When asked, the HR told said that Java developer was just a title and internally my role would be a manager (which was again weird). My overall experience was very unprofessional. Since I was located outside California, I had 4 rounds of phone interviews (mainly Java servlets, threading, css, ajax, observer pattern problem). The HR would notify me about my phone interview on the day of the interview. He would call me in the morning and ask me if I could interview that day. After the 4th round of phone interview, I thought they would sponsor my flight and ask me to come and meet the team. Instead, the HR called me and said when do I plan to come to California for an onsite. Since I already had plans to fly for another interview, I scheduled this one as well.
    I had another 4 rounds of onsite interview:-
    1st interview - Was a problem around factory pattern.How would you solve it and what is an alternative (use spring injection)

2nd interview - Take any project of your choice and if asked to develop within 2 weeks how would you go about it. Start from gathering reqs and use the entire white board.

A programmer wrote a class MySet extends List. Another programmer used it thinking it's a set. How would you modify MySet.
    Now a third programmer used it as a list. How would you support both list and set features and which one would you set as default.

-My answer was use list as default. Set the type in the constructor.

3rd interview - Design a database to support customers bidding for pay per clicks ad position.

4th - there are 2 big files containing names. Give me a list of all names from file 1 not in file 2 in the most optimized way.
    How does google analytics work. Problems of cross site scripting and what's an alternative.

After the 4 rounds, I got a call from the HR saying another guy needs to talk to me and it's not an interview. I told him it's fine and to let me know via email as to when to expect the call. He said he would let me know, but I instead just ended up getting a call without notification at 9:30 pm at night. I spoke to this guy who basically just wanted to introduce himself. Next day after I got the offer and the HR told me that I just have 1 day to accept it. I sent an email the next day rejecting the offer since the title was not what I had applied and interviewed for.
    I never heard back from anyone and neither was there any kind of apology.

Interview Questions
    • Take any project of your choice and if asked to develop within 2 weeks how would you go about it. Use the entire white board.   Answer Question

Title applied was of Sr Java developer and offer given was that of a Java developer.
    Also, the overall experience was very unprofessional.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at QuinStreet.

A telephonic round (20-30 mins) followed by onsite (2-3 hours). Both the rounds covered some of the basic fundamentals of web technologies. Its easy to crack.

Interview Questions
    They dont negotiate easily.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at QuinStreet in June 2012.

Pre-screen, excel excercises, etc

Interview Questions
    • It was mostly digging into your work habits, ticks and all that   View Answer
    Easy!

Vertical Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at QuinStreet in February 2012.

Started with a recruiter interview. From there, I interviewed with a VP about a week later, then another VP a week after that. In each I had to start by explaining the experience on my resume, then answer a few questions. I also had an over-the-phone case study where I was given a basic scenario and had to ask questions to gather the information to make a go or no-go decision.

Interview Questions
    • Take me through your resume   View Answer
    • Over the phone case study. You are given a scenario and have to ask questions to make a go or no-go decision. You are not given any prep time, nor are you allowed to use a calculator or excel.   Answer Question

Online Marketing Interview

interviewed at QuinStreet in January 2012.

Interview process was tough. I interviewed for an entry level online marketing position. I was asked questions which only experience marketing professionals would know. Overall it seemed like a tough interview for an entry level role.I would recommend being VERY prepared before the interview. I w=probably wasn't ready for it

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at QuinStreet in September 2011.

Quinstreet's HR was very professional all the way through. My first two phone interviews were scheduled quickly and close together. The first one I think was by a HR person (quick simple screening). The second one is by one of the managers that I would directly work with. She was really nice. After talking to her I was scheduled to come in one week later for a 3-hour in person interviewing process.

I was interviewed 1:1 by three different people ( there were supposed to be 4 but one couldn't make it): one director, one senior manager, and one manager. Everyone was on time. The director gave me a good intro of the company and what they do etc. She was nice and straight forward but she gave me a "prioritize" exercise that I felt I was tricked in. After that, it was pretty clear that she wasn't going to hire me because I didn't do exactly what she expected me to do. The other two interviewers were just casual and answered the questions that I had. I honestly didn't have that many because by reading their website, there is no way you can figure out what they do. Any they try to keep it secret that way too.

I was given two really simple maths problems by the last two interviewers. The interviews lasted two hours. I didn't hear from them for one week so I emailed HR and got a standard reject email. Their office is really bright and sleek. Scarily quiet though. It's in a nice office building area close to freeways.

Interview Questions
    • How do you prioritize this list of activities that you have to take care of right now?:
      1. A weekly call to a client
      2. A presentation you manager needs from you for a meeting
      3. A meeting with the IT department
      4. An unsatisfied client complaint
      5. Something else I can't remember
        View Answer

Senior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at QuinStreet in May 2011.

Their HR called first, discussion went well, she told me a lot of things about company and position,

First tech interview also was good, an inidian guy called, he was a very good interviewer, his english very good, I could understand all what he said, his tech skills very good, always explained the problem the way I can understand what exactly we are trying to solve.

Second tech interview was bad, called a lady with a terrible English, some strange accent, maybe Russian, she was e very poor interviewer, questions basically focused on Spring+Hibernate, I had tough problems to understand what exactly she saying or what the question exactly sounds like.

3rd interview was rescheduled 3 times, the guy supposed to interview was always busy and he was not calling. No more calls from their HR about the 3rd Tech interview. 2-3 weeks passed - still no calls about the 3rd interview. I gave up.

Business Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at QuinStreet in October 2010.

Employee referral, submitted resume to their corporate recruiting email. Heard back after a month or so and was called in for on-site interviews. 4 interviews, 30 minutes each, with current employees at manager level. 1 case, 3 behavioral. Case was primarily focused on online marketing. Interviews were more like conversations as fit is a priority at QuinStreet. Loved how professional and considerate the interviewers were and decided to accept.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had a conflict with a co-worker. How did you resolve that conflict and what were the results?   Answer Question

Vertical Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at QuinStreet in September 2010.

Relatively laid back interviewers, with an emphasis on testing my desire/ability to get my hands "dirty" and role up my sleeves as an operator.

Interview Questions
    • If you were to get an offer and take this job, what would you do in the first 100 days?   Answer Question

Java Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at QuinStreet in July 2010.

First skills test interview was good. In second interview, person asked me questions on HTML and CSS instead of Java. Java questions were pretty simple

Interview Questions
    • how to pass function in another javascript function   View Answer