QuinStreet

Relevance Date Difficulty

Lead Java Engineer Interview

Lead Java Engineer
Foster City, CA

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at QuinStreet in January 2010.

Interview Details – First phone interview with a gentleman (an Architect) went very well related to advanced Java.

The second phone interview was a nasty one with a lady with an accent (Russian like may be). She literally started a fight with me on some technologies like Hibernate. I said I did not use it in our project due to X reason. She started shouting at me that "You must use Hibernate no matter what!!" Am not kidding. Same with other frameworks which she started imposing on me saying I must have used them instead of what I used in our previous projects.

There are just so many below par and sloppy Java programmers out there in the field who doesn't even know the basic fundamentals of Java. They just use some fancy Java based frameworks and think that they know every thing about Java.

I in turn asked this lady about basic Concurrency question- what is the purpose of Synchronized keyword in Java. Guess what.. she didn't have any clue on Java concurrency basics like Memory visibility and Critical section.

Interview Questions

• Write an SQL query to find the 3rd max salary in the employee table   Answer Question
  • I asked this lady who was shouting at me on the Hibernate stuff, what is the purpose of Synchronized in Java. She did not know the answer.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Because of this unpleasant lady, seriously. I really liked the first guy who interviewed who seem to be very knowledgeable about Java basics (think about Happens Before, Cmp&Swap) which is rare in my opinion.

Web Developer Interview

Web Developer
Foster City, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at QuinStreet in March 2010.

Interview Details – Applied thru craigslist. Phone Interview. Technical Phone Interview. Written test thru email. Onsite 3 hours interview. Technical question answer on board.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate. It was offered as temporary with 25/hr with 40 hr/week. No benefit.

Website Editor Interview

Website Editor
Foster City, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at QuinStreet in December 2009.

Interview Details – A recruiter from the company found me on LinkedIn and asked me if I might be interested in applying. There were 1:1 interviews with five employees, including two by phone. I liked the people who interviewed me for the most part very much. One of the interviewers asked a few questions that were really not appropriate (like, do you know a cheaper database to use than the one we are currently looking at? etc.). I felt too much of the discussion with each interviewer focused on what I would call "free consulting" questions rather than an exploration of my skills and experience and how they match the job qualifications. While I ilked the interviewers and thought they were all very smart, it was also obvious that they needed help. The actual job was somewhat difficult to find out about. It seems like it's a new position and the company is very good at keeping its secrets secret.

Interview Question – Do you have any questions for me?   View Answer

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Foster City, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at QuinStreet in November 2009.

Interview Details – The process was alright but slow. I heard back from the company about every two weeks or so which is why the process took so long.

I applied online and got a very short phone screen. I was then emailed an analyst exercise (here's data from a hypothetical campaign, analyze and give recommendations on next steps) to complete. Heard back about my performance a couple of weeks later and was set up for a phone interview which went well. I was then invited in for an on-site interview but scheduling issues kept pushing the date back, so I was given a second phone interview. That also went well and we were finally able to coordinate a date for the on-site. The on-site involved a 4-hour session (including lunch) with 5 different members of the team/vertical I was interviewing for. The offices were very sleek and nice-- pretty typical cubicle farm. My interviewers were all friendly, and they seemed pretty overworked/desperate to bring in more people since the company is growing very quickly. I got some pretty typical questions about what my qualifications are, strengths/weaknesses, work ethic, examples of my experiences working with a team, how I dealt with challenges, etc. I thought the interviews went alright, but I heard back from them about a week later that they decided that my background wasn't an exact match for what they're looking for.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to convince someone/ team member to follow your plan or idea.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Foster City, CA

The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at QuinStreet in May 2008.

Interview Details – The interview process was a bit tedious. It would have been nice if the process was a little bit quicker.

Java Engineer Interview

Java Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at QuinStreet.

Interview Details – All are telephonic rounds...first 2-3 rounds technical & then manager, hr rounds

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Sāngli, Maharashtra (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at QuinStreet in March 2013.

Interview Details – There were two rounds of the interview process: Technical Round and HR Round

1. Technical Round:
Started with the usual Hi/Hello. There were two people in the panel. One of them took my resume and started asking me about my Third Year Engineering Project. They grilled me about it for approx. 15 min. Then they asked whether I was more comfortable with Core Java, or PHP, or ASP.
When I replied with Java, they started asking basics about Java - Exceptions, Collections. One peculiar question was about Garbage Collection (Described later on). then they switched to Web technology, and asked about session management, and some more general questions.
The whole process went on for about 45 min. Overall, the interview was easy to crack.

2. HR Round
Again with Hi/Hello out of the way, there was only one person asking the questions. He asked about my background, my interests, hobbies etc. Then asked why I wanted to join QS, whether I was hired by any company already, what were the major points that influenced me to consider working for QS etc.
Then he asked me about my strengths and weaknesses. In the end, he gave a very nice feedback of my overall impression on him.
The interview was easy enough, but I was quite nervous at the time, so I messed up some of the answers. But overall, the experience was nice.

Interview Question – How would you design Garbage collection algorithm for Java? And why?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation

Producer Interview

Producer
Pune (India)

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at QuinStreet in June 2012.

Interview Details – The process was very smooth, systematic and challenging. I applied through LinkedIn and got a call in 15 days. The first round of screening was done using multiple choice questions by HR. The Group/Panel Interview took place on phone, thereby making thongs very easy for the candidate. Once shortlisted by the panel, HR contacted in 30 mins scheduling the final 1:1 interview on next day. 1:1 Interviews were Technical, Technical + Job Understanding, General Discussion with GM & HR. Overall it was a pleasant experience being interviewed in QuinStreet.

Negotiation Details – Very Smooth. I got what i expected, and the jump given was good too.

Producer Interview

Producer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at QuinStreet in September 2009.

Interview Details – overall pretty good process. was asked some number crunching questions, was given a case, was asked about my understanding of the business, got a detailed case as homework assignment, had some fit questions (e.g. describe challenging team situation, what are your top 3 strengths and weaknesses)

Interview Question – was given one of its websites to analyze and write suggestions about how to grow traffic and revenue.   View Answer

Call Center Sales Manager Interview

Call Center Sales Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at QuinStreet in September 2012.

Interview Details – A recruiter found my resume on monster sent me an email and ask me if I was interested in interviewing with the company, and I agreed. their Creator initially told me that they were looking for somebody with 10 years of experience however he had faith that I could make it through the interview process although I only had 4. I interviewed with the vice president she was a Russian lady and I thought that the interview went well however it seems like she was focusing on getting some free consulting from me. she asked questions like What type of compliment would you suggest, etc? after that interview she asked me to going to the call center to train the sales representative so that they could "see me in action", I went in and provided them with some valuable information including quality monitoring suggestions which they asked me for during the interview. to my surprise when I went in to do the training I found that they had changed the comp plan 2 what I had suggested so I thought wow I probably got this job. this there's a dent begin selling more policies while I was there training them which was exciting to see. I also interviewed with 2 other vice president in the director of call center operations. After going the training and exhausting all of my ideas to run their call center, the Russian lady gave me a call to let me know that they decided to go with another candidate. I also forgot to add that they made me sign a confidentiality agreement stating that any ideas that I gave them could were owned by them and are proprietary to their company. companies usually outsource this type of thing and hire a company to come in and help them revamp a comp plan, they don't usually milk their candidates for ideas for free. based on that I would avoid nterviewing with this company as much as possible! they will take your ideas make you sign confidentiality agreement saying your ideas are now theirs and then they won't offer you a job.

Interview Question – What type of comp plan should we implement in our call center? will you coming to work call center in training our sales reps so that we can see you in action? in what type of quality monitoring would be great in the call center?   Answer Question