Qwest

Very Difficult Interview

Customer Service Interview

Customer Service
Phoenix, AZ

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Qwest in January 2009.

Interview Details – Had to do a phone simulation and no direction was given so when they asked questions that weren't on the information sheet, I was not sure if you should make up an answer or tell the pretend 'customer' that you don't know the answer because if it were a real call you'd place the customer on hold and ask someone but there was no one to ask during the interview, of course. It was very confusing and no explanation at the beginning to prepare you for what to do. On a a real call you wouldn't make up an answer if a customer asked you something so I didn't want to do that either. Overall, I felt it was setting you up for failure either way and this led me to become nervous and not do well. I've never bombed an interview in my life. I actually grew up doing interviews in pageants and won 'best interview' awards frequently. This interview process was horrible and the worst part is that I really wanted the job because it paid well and had decent benefits!

Interview Question – the only thing you had to do was a phone simulation   Answer Question

Web Designer Interview

Web Designer
Denver, CO

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Qwest in February 2010.

Interview Details – Very nice group interview with heads of various departments and peers. Also a 1:1 interview with my potential boss. After interviews were done, took about 2 weeks until i heard back from their HR department. Offer was made, contigent on background and drug screening.

Interview Question – Looking at our current website, what would you do to improve the look/performance of it.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I declined after accepting a different offer from another company, which offered better benefits and more pay.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Des Moines, IA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Qwest in September 2010.

Interview Details – First applied online, then about 10 days later had a short interview followed by a 3-hour test of skill. This included multiple choice questions followed by a somewhat exhausting exercise (but not difficult) using a mock up database. The training period is 10 weeks (rather long).

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – I was offered a better job and was a bit put off by the screening process. The interview itself was fine but I thought the screening process was excessive.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Software Engineer Intern
Denver, CO

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Qwest in July 2009.

Interview Details – I applied through my university's career services office. I got a phone-call from an HR/Recruiter to setup a possible phone interview to establish an idea about my career plans, academic merits, and some screening (technical / skills) questions. Once cleared, I was called on-site for a group-panel interview. The interviewing panel consisted of the hiring manager, tech lead, a software architect and two software engineers (developers). The hiring manager and software architect asked me questions about my research projects, software methodologies, and some behavioral questions like 'how would you handle situation like..'. Software Engineers tested my skills in Java + OO-Paradigm via case-questioning. The tech lead tried to gain an understanding about what kind of performance tuning or testing / instrumentation knowledge I had.

The interview lasted for 90 minutes (appx.).

Interview Question – Explain some of the data observer patterns you might have used in your past network programming experience.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative
Chicago, IL

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Qwest in June 2010.

Interview Details – Initially the company was excited about my previous experience and everything that I had offered. They brought me in for a 1:1 interview. However, after finding out that I had been unemployed for several months it seemed like they weren't interested. they were looking for someone who was currently employed.

Interview Question – biggest Weakness?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Qwest in October 2009.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter via phone call & follow-up email. We had a brief discussion, he reached out to the hiring manager & I had a interview set up the following day.

Interview was very brief, 1 hr. The interview read my CV very closely and he wanted to speak to a few of the positions I'd held. Conversation was casual and very comfortable.

Recruiter called back in 2 days, stated there was no need for a follow-up, as the manager wanted to extend an offer.

Advise:
1. Dress professional regardless of position. (I was in a suit, hiring manager was business casual)
2. Know your CV (resume) through & through. Be able to speak to each job and how you personally added value. Be able to fill in the blanks.

Interview Question – In your last position, did you have to fight for what you believed to be the right decision? How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I dealt directly with the recruiter concerning negotiations. The offer came in low, but as I felt the client wanted to fill the position quickly I ended up asking directly what the pay range was.

Then stated that would accept at the highest dollar amount of that range.
Could not negotiate further vacation time, etc.

Very Easy Interview

Global Account Manager Interview

Global Account Manager
Tallahassee, FL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Qwest in June 2007.

Interview Details – Meet with Sales Manager of Region. Discussed experience within industry. Received offer letter within 20 days

Interview Question – Describe your ability to sell technology products and services   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Believe in yourself

Kiosk Manager Interview

Kiosk Manager

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Qwest in September 2009.

Interview Details – I responded to online posting of job, submitted resume and was contacted by the district manager 5 days later. He was traveling to the location and holding interviews the following day. Didn't seem to have flexibility due to the travel and late call. Used a Targeted Selection interview guide- which is a behavior based interview program that I used in my most recent job. The interview took about 40 minutes. I know he skipped a number of questions- which to me meant he already had an decision in mind.

Interview Question – What do you consider to be the biggest contribution you have made to your current organization.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I found that during the interview someone from the current team as an internal candidate applied and was being interviewed for the position. As Kiosk manager- you are responsible for sales performance- and I knew the internal candidate would likely be miffed over not getting the promotion.

Customer Sales and Service Associate Interview

Customer Sales and Service Associate
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Qwest in August 2007.

Interview Details – Consisted of phone interview then 1:1 interview with upper level manager. Interview questions consisted of basic S.T.A.R. questionaire. S.T.A.R. is situation, task, action, result. They asked questions like describe a time when you had a difficult client, describe the scenario and outcome.

Interview Question – Describe a time you had a difficult client, what happened, and how did you resolve it.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – N/A

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Denver, CO

I applied through other source and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Qwest in July 2008.

Interview Details – Interview process was fairly lengthy. Had a total of 4 interviews. Met with VP, and then with three directors, each a 1 on 1 meeting. I believe the meetings with the Directors were to identify where I would best fit within the company. Then finally interviewed with my current boss.

Interview Question – Why should I hire you? What do you bring to the table?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Able to negotiate a few thousand more than originally offered