R/GA Interview Questions

Updated May 28, 2015

2.8

Algorithm Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at R/GA (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

The Freelance-Recruitment Consultant Angela Tai who represented the company asked me to do an interview assessment which takes average of ten hours to complete even though other candidates had been pre-selected for the role .Once i spend ten hours solving the interview challenge and sent it to a 'gmail' account that i had been asked to the recruiter told me that their selection committee will prefer other candidates whose background is a better fit for the role.
    The role for which i was made to do a challenge which took ten hours to complete is not listed on their website and they position have been open for three months which suggests they are possibly recruiting for a non existent role
    i would not deal with the shady recruiters of this company anymore
    If you are being made to do any interview assessments for the role please make sue that the role exists and you are not being scammed.Stay away from freelance recruitment consultants claiming to be working for them

Interview Questions

• Quokkas are the world’s happiest animals. These furry and social creatures can be found in

parts of Western Australia, often posing for selfies with tourists. See Fig. 1 for examples.

Source:​http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2015/03/150306­quokkas­selfies­animals­science­p

hotography­australia/​[National Geographic]

Quokkas are about the size of domestic cats. They are the only members of the genus

Setonix. Unfortunately, their existence is threatened by predators such as foxes and dingoes.

To preserve the quokka population, a local non­profit organization, called Happy Quokka, has

set up a protective habitat. This habitat is designed to keep the predators away and provide

additional food for quokkas during the months when natural food sources become scarce.

As the operations consultant for the non­profit organization, Happy Quokka, you are to

determine how much food to provide for each quokka daily in the habitat More specifically,

you need to design and implement an algorithm to allocate daily prepared food across

N quokkas in the habitat.

To help you with the task, volunteers of Happy Quokka have collected a data set for N

quokkas living on the habitat for the past 7 days​. In this data set, you will find the following:

Data field name Description Data frequency

Quokka ID Identification code for each

Food Provided (g) Amount of food provided for

Food Consumed (g) Amount of food actually

Happiness Score (hs) Measure of happiness for

Selfies (count) Number of selfies each

*The food is prepared by the organization at a cost, and consists of a nutritious mix of seeds, grass and tree

barks (the natural diet for quokkas).

**This score is determined by another consulting company, Quoogle. Quoogle uses cloud­connected

cameras in the habitat to record quokka activities and facial expressions, then analyzes them with big data

algorithms to determine the Happiness Score.

Relationships between Measurements

1) It costs your organization $1.00 to prepare 1 kg of quokka food. Assume this cost is

2) Quokkas may or may not consume all of the food provided to them. Unfinished food is

recycled for other purposes.

3) When quokkas eat, they are happy. Their happiness scores may go up. The change in

happiness scores may vary for each quokka.

4) As quokkas become happier, they may become more social toward humans, so they

may want to take more selfies with tourists. The number of selfies taken may vary for

5) When tourists take more selfies with quokkas, happiness spreads. Happy tourists will

donate more money to your organization and spread the word for your cause. The

exact amount of donations and publicity attributed to selfies are difficult to quantify at

this time, but assume there exists a positive correlation.

The Goal and Constraint

Your algorithm must meet the following constraints:

1) Your organization can only prepare X kg of food per day;

2) You need to keep all N quokkas fed daily, i.e. no quokkas should be left behind without

and ideally achieves the following objectives:

1) maximize total selfies taken ÷ total kg of food consumed;

2) minimize the amount of unfinished food, i.e. minimize food recycling effort.

Inputs and Outputs of Your Algorithm

Inputs Provided for Your Algorithm​:

1) The historical data set in CSV format. Please see quokkas_data.csv​.

2) The total amount of quokka food that can be prepared by the organization per day: X

Parameters of Your Choice​:

K: number of days in the outputs. You are free to choose K to suit the outputs of your

algorithm, but K must be at least 1.

Required Outputs of Your Algorithm​:

The amounts (grams) of food to be provided for each quokka in the next K days​. For

example, suppose N = 2, X = 100 and if you choose K=3 in your parameters, your outputs

may look like this for Quokka #1 and Quokka #2 in the next 3 days:

Quokka ID Day 1 (g) Day 2 (g) Day 3 (g)

1 60 50 70

2 40 50 30

Your output format does not have to be exactly like the above, though it should be in a

Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at R/GA.

Interview

I applied to the position a month ago through their official website. They got back to me very soon. The whole process started with a Skype interview with two designers from their team. Then they gave a design practice and gave me 1 week to prepare. I presented to the whole team and that was the final round. The whole User Experience team is very friendly and easy-going. I don't feel much pressure during the interview and presentation.

Engineering Job In Media Department Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at R/GA (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Completed a project to get an on site interview. Spent most of the interview explaining my solution and the code that comes with it during a presentation. Was asked if I could handle writing computer programs from an interviewer whom didn't even look at my solution (or code)...and whom was barely qualified for the position. Oh...and I learned that this project they have you complete is basically a very close generalization of what they do in that department. Soooo...whomever has a solution they like gets an onsite interview...only for it to be explained to them in full detail. At that point i'm struggling to sort out why they would hire anyone when the staff should be smart enough to just steal from the best ideas they see. (I've had invites from other company's to complete projects like this so these guys aren't the only ones. BUT this is the first project I completed to see if I would get an on site interview). This may be the way job seeking goes these days but to be honest if doing work for them just to get an interview doesn't bother you as a job seeker then you are likely not human. This is the first period of time when I've encountered so much effort just to meet with an employer about work...but again the process makes it way too easy for them to steal ideas quite frankly. Interviewers were largely unprepared...which I didn't necessarily like. They are in their late 20's to early 30's (i'd prefer people with more life experience to be honest)...with less then 3 years each working at that place. A lot of people whom i designed the presentation for were not there. No offer was extended (in case you already didn't figure that out). The onsite portion (including the presentation) was easy but the fact that you do a project first makes this interview a joke.

Associate User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at R/GA (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Got a call from recruiter through employee referral. Then had a meeting at R/GA. It was very easy going interview and they are trying to make me relax. I just started to explain my projects deeply and they gave me few questions about projects and me.

Junior Visual Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at R/GA (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I got to meet a recruiter at a school career fair and I got a follow up email from the recruiter 2 days later. I wrote her back with my resume and link to my portfolio again then I had an interview within 2 days. The process was very short and the interview was about 30min.

Interview Questions

• What did you learn in school and what do you want to learn from R/GA?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at R/GA (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview was very informal. The first interviewer didn't know anything technical. He kept uttering the f word and using "sexy" as a reference word to describe the code. I took that as a normal practice in the ad industry. I was told that the next recruiter would be a technical one. He just stopped me when I started explaining oops answers. A few general questions and I was told I would be invited for the next round. After personally following up with the HR in 2 weeks, I was told that I was not selected. Nothing against the company but the overall experience was unprofessional.

Art Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at R/GA.

Interview

I went in twice and met with 5 people. I wanted to leave my previous job so I told them I had another offer, which I did to expedite the hiring process because I was aware they take quite a while to hire.

Interview Questions

• Honestly they didn't ask anything major but one person who interviewed me had his feet up on the desk which seemed an effort to intimidate me, not sure what that was about.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It happened very quickly because I had another offer and needed to respond to the best offer quickly as not to make anyone seem like they were a second choice. They weren't honest about the type of work I would be doing which I was not happy about once I accepted the offer. It seems that happens to a lot of new hires.

Creative Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at R/GA.

Interview

4 rounds of 2-3 hr interviews over 2 months.
    The first one was a 1hr phone call with an internal recruiter, then a series of in person and skype interviews with different people. It was tedious and time consuming as I had to take time off work each time. They didn't tell me it was going to be such an effort but I had already invested so much time into this that I just kept on accepting the meetings they'd scheduled.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Yes, salary was good

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at R/GA (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied to the position and received an email to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was cancelled a few hours before the scheduled time and I was told to wait for a follow up with a different recruiter. I followed up with them twice, but no response whatsoever.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at R/GA (New York, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

I got the first call 4 days after I sent my application. The first round I talked with HR for half an hour. And 3 days later, I received an on-site interview. It was with the manager and then the director of the team. It lasted about an hour. People were nice. But I didn't get in.

Interview Questions

• If you send direct mail to existing customers, how can you get the conversion rate without any promo code or other things?   Answer Question