R/GA Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2015

2.8

Junior Visual Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at R/GA (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I got to meet a recruiter at a school career fair and I got a follow up email from the recruiter 2 days later. I wrote her back with my resume and link to my portfolio again then I had an interview within 2 days. The process was very short and the interview was about 30min.

Interview Questions

• What did you learn in school and what do you want to learn from R/GA?   Answer Question

Engineering Job In Media Department Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at R/GA (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Completed a project to get an on site interview. Spent most of the interview explaining my solution and the code that comes with it during a presentation. Was asked if I could handle writing computer programs from an interviewer whom didn't even look at my solution (or code)...and whom was barely qualified for the position. Oh...and I learned that this project they have you complete is basically a very close generalization of what they do in that department. Soooo...whomever has a solution they like gets an onsite interview...only for it to be explained to them in full detail. At that point i'm struggling to sort out why they would hire anyone when the staff should be smart enough to just steal from the best ideas they see. (I've had invites from other company's to complete projects like this so these guys aren't the only ones. BUT this is the first project I completed to see if I would get an on site interview). This may be the way job seeking goes these days but to be honest if doing work for them just to get an interview doesn't bother you as a job seeker then you are likely not human. This is the first period of time when I've encountered so much effort just to meet with an employer about work...but again the process makes it way too easy for them to steal ideas quite frankly. Interviewers were largely unprepared...which I didn't necessarily like. They are in their late 20's to early 30's (i'd prefer people with more life experience to be honest)...with less then 3 years each working at that place. A lot of people whom i designed the presentation for were not there. No offer was extended (in case you already didn't figure that out). The onsite portion (including the presentation) was easy but the fact that you do a project first makes this interview a joke.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at R/GA (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview was very informal. The first interviewer didn't know anything technical. He kept uttering the f word and using "sexy" as a reference word to describe the code. I took that as a normal practice in the ad industry. I was told that the next recruiter would be a technical one. He just stopped me when I started explaining oops answers. A few general questions and I was told I would be invited for the next round. After personally following up with the HR in 2 weeks, I was told that I was not selected. Nothing against the company but the overall experience was unprofessional.

Art Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at R/GA.

Interview

I went in twice and met with 5 people. I wanted to leave my previous job so I told them I had another offer, which I did to expedite the hiring process because I was aware they take quite a while to hire.

Interview Questions

• Honestly they didn't ask anything major but one person who interviewed me had his feet up on the desk which seemed an effort to intimidate me, not sure what that was about.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It happened very quickly because I had another offer and needed to respond to the best offer quickly as not to make anyone seem like they were a second choice. They weren't honest about the type of work I would be doing which I was not happy about once I accepted the offer. It seems that happens to a lot of new hires.

Creative Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at R/GA.

Interview

4 rounds of 2-3 hr interviews over 2 months.
    The first one was a 1hr phone call with an internal recruiter, then a series of in person and skype interviews with different people. It was tedious and time consuming as I had to take time off work each time. They didn't tell me it was going to be such an effort but I had already invested so much time into this that I just kept on accepting the meetings they'd scheduled.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Yes, salary was good

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at R/GA (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied to the position and received an email to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was cancelled a few hours before the scheduled time and I was told to wait for a follow up with a different recruiter. I followed up with them twice, but no response whatsoever.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at R/GA (New York, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

I got the first call 4 days after I sent my application. The first round I talked with HR for half an hour. And 3 days later, I received an on-site interview. It was with the manager and then the director of the team. It lasted about an hour. People were nice. But I didn't get in.

Interview Questions

• If you send direct mail to existing customers, how can you get the conversion rate without any promo code or other things?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at R/GA in July 2014.

Interview

Contacted through a 3rd party recruiter, had an initial screening, an hour technical interview. Also a skill test. The final phase was an in person discussion with two of their technical managers. One of them came very late to the interview room. He was also very busy with his phone and in between he will throw some random questions like "Have you done aspect oriented programming" :). and then he may go back to his phone while I replying to the question. The process was fairly positive experience except in the final phase.

I think R/GA grew rapidly after 2007 and some of their UI engineers also grew w.r.to responsibilities but they lack the depth to keep the interview interesting or some approach application engineers with a pre-judgement that they are less creative and not up to the firm's philosophy.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult, but didn't expect interviewer will be busy with the phone. During the final phase ,I felt that I'm UN-welcomed because the way one of the interviewer behaved. The other tried to "apologize" for him, but it made the interview less interesting for me and for the other interviewer.   Answer Question

Associate Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at R/GA (New York, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

Received an email for first phone interview with HR within week of applying. Easy going and overall, not hard at all if you've worked in a assistant project management/producer role in digital marketing/ad agency. Second interview was at HQ. I met with a few executive producers which was 30 minutes each. Mostly conversational (no pressure). Third interview was 3 weeks in and I met with Account Directors and Producers (30 mins each). Very laid back but passionate people. Got a call 3 days later with offer. Negotiable.

Interview Questions

• Have you worked with:

SOW's(Statement of work)
      advertising budgets
      banner ads
      digital coordinating

Dou you have a firm (moderate) understanding of:

creative design
      web technology
      project management

Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiable. Always negotiate.

Associate Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

interviewed at R/GA (San Francisco, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

Great experience. Team was very open and transparent with what they were looking for.
    Recruiter was fantastic with keeping applicant informed and in the loop as to status.
    Introduced me to other office that had a better position fit per my skill set