RAND

Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Political Scientist Interview

Associate Political Scientist
Santa Monica, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at RAND in September 2008.

Interview Details – Had interviews with HR, several peers, some senior associates and the hiring manager who is a part-time manager-part time researcher. Also gave a 1 hr presentation on my research to anyone at any RAND office who wished to attend. Fielded questions from the audience--mostly about methods.

Everyone who interviews you or attends your presentation can write a review of you and make a hiring recommendation. The hiring manager pools all of these reviews and tries to see whether people who have funded projects might need someone with your expertise in the coming year. These people have to commit to using you for the first year.

Interview Question – Most of the difficult questions were methods questions about my presentation--so those are easy to prepare answers. Some of the harder questions were challenges from the presentation audience on my findings because they found something different to be true.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was offered the position and didn't really negotiate because I thought it was my dream job and I was assured my salary would quickly become commensurate with others'. It did. I got several salary increases just because an assessment had been done and mine was too low about 6 months into my time there.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at RAND

Worked for RAND? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at RAND Associate Political Scientist interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by RAND employees and interview candidates.