RAND

Average Difficulty
28 candidate interviews

Associate Economist Interview

Associate Economist

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at RAND.

Interview Details – 30-40 min interviews/ challenging questions about research

Interview Question – a variety of questions beyond my research   Answer Question

Project Associate Interview

Project Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at RAND.

Interview Details – Day long process with 8 30-minute interviews with current researchers

Interview Question – Awkward silences with introverted interviewers   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – RAND does not really feel the need to negotiate with proseptive employees

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at RAND.

Interview Details – Informal initial enquiry led to interview with team leaders and 'meet the team'; also involved a 'values panel' which was a wonderful way to get to know the organisation's values and culture

Interview Question – What are the skills you would need from members of your team to complement your own? (v important as team working is a huge part of organisation)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation is possible - highly encouraged; even if they have little options on how much they can increase salary

Contracts Administrator Interview

Contracts Administrator

Interviewed at RAND

Interview Details – First contacted by a phone interviewer. Basic questions; describe your past experience, why are you the best candidate for this position? etc. I then received an e mail about a day later and invited me back for an in-person interview. I first met with a human resources representative, Again, same basic questions and she also went over the benefits and the rest of the interview process. Then meet with the Associate Director of Contracts. More detailed questions, not really about my experience or skills but more scenario based. Next people I met with were to co-workers, who I would be working directly with. One person was leaving to another position in the company and the other was taking her position. So, I imagined that I would be filling the open position. More of a friendly interview, some of my favorite hobbies and my negotiation skills and computer skills. Last person I met with was the Director of Contracts. The shortest interview of them all and very similar to the interview with the Associate Director. They informed me that they had another week of interviews left but I would definitely be contacted if I was offered the job or that they were no longer pursuing my candidacy. I didn't receive any correspondence for 3 weeks and even sent a follow up with the Associate Director. I then received a phone call from a human resource rep and she said that they were no longer pursuing my candidacy. They even mentioned that they didn't hire any candidates from the interviews and were going to do another round of interviews which I wouldn't be invited back to.

Interview Question – Most of the unexpected questions came from the other contract administrators, which they had mentioned the found off the internet. One example is, What is your idealistic job and what is your realistic job?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at RAND in August 2010.

Interview Details – One primary interview, followed by three with researchers

Negotiation Details – Unable to negotiate

Very Easy Interview

Telephone Interviewer Interview

Telephone Interviewer
Santa Monica, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at RAND in September 2013.

Interview Details – Apply on line, then received telephone interview, then in person group interview with computer test. Don't spend a lot of time reviewing the area of research you are being hired for. This was a position for Medicare Research and they really did not care to much if you knew anything. I was friendly and outgoing as that is my personality after being in the counseling field for 30 plus years. I think it worked against me. The phone interview was like talking to a robot. The group interview had a panel of 3 people. The supervisor for the Telephone interview area was unfriendly, made no eye contact, uninterested in people, he made no comments and only asked his share of questions. It was apparent the three had split up what to ask. He was slouching in his chair and uninterested in the process at all. I may be wrong but he wanted people who ask survey question, type in data fast and nothing else. Interview lasted 1 1/2 hours. They did not tell you at the end how you would be notified of results but the training started the next week. I emailed the HR contact and she was nice enough to tell me that those who were hired had been call already. MORE than a week after the training started they sent an email stating I was not qualified!!! What I don't get is why tell me I am qualified for the group interview but then use lack of qualifications for the excuse of no hire. Awful people with NO people skills. Make you go through through all this for a low paying job.

Interview Question – None were difficult.   Answer Question

Applications/Systems Analyst Interview

Applications/Systems Analyst
Santa Monica, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at RAND in August 2011.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a technology recruiting firm for contract position. I was interviewed first by the recruiting company and twice over the phone with 2 of RAND's employees. I was hired within the week and started the following Monday.

Interview Question – There were no unexpected questions. All questions were aimed at my skill set and experience with IS applications and resolving issues and understanding of delivering specific projects.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The negotiation I had was with the recruiting 3rd party and my usual rate as a contractor was accepted.

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Santa Monica, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at RAND in May 2008.

Interview Details – All-day interview meeting with all levels of people, from HR to Research Assistants and Researchers. Everyone is very polite and encouraging and wants to see what you bring to the table and if you are a good fit with the culture. While everyone is very busy with their own work the atmosphere is very cooperative and you get the feeling that they love what they do.

Interview Question – Talk about your research experience, educational background, etc. Pretty standard but thorough.   Answer Question

Sociologist Interview

Sociologist
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at RAND.

Interview Details – The interview was held in the ASA conference. I was interviewed by a senior researcher. Interview questions are not difficult and within my expectation. He asked about my Ph.D. research, what kind of dataset I use. He also talked about what it is like working in RAND as well as the potential career path.

Project Associate Interview

Project Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at RAND.

Interview Details – The process was long and scattered. But I was able to do the phone and site visit after 2.5 months of application. The position description does not match the actual role. So make sure you ask in details. When I learned about the actual role on site, I was not as interested because it wasn't a good match. The project director asked why my cover letter was so short, and seemed to doubt the decisions I made in my career paths. Her questions also seemed to test and challenge me in an unfriendly way. The peer interview was very casual and cordial. I enjoyed it.

Interview Question – what would you do on your starting day in this role?
what do you think about surveys?
why you want to leave your current job?
  Answer Question

Worked for RAND? Contribute to the Community!