RAND

Updated Oct 11, 2014

2.8

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at RAND in July 2014.

I was contacted about 2 months after I applied online. When I went to RAND, I spoke with a series of research scientists and was asked to discuss my thesis, the writing sample I had submitted, and talk through my research experience. Everyone was very friendly, it wasn't a normal behavioral interview at all. I had a lot of friendly conversations about my interests and experience. I also had lunch with current employees in the position I was applying for. It was a very nice experience all-around; I was disappointed not to receive the offer a month later.

Interview Questions
  • I was asked to explain why I chose specific statistical analyses in the data analysis section of my thesis. I wrote it and spent a lot of time on it, so I didn't struggle responding. The research scientist asked detailed follow up questions about specific analyses I mentioned.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for RAND

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at RAND in April 2014.

The hiring process was very straightforward. I applied online, was contacted within three weeks about coming to DC for an interview, and interviewed the next month for the position. The interview was conducted over the course of one day, with 8 30-minute one-on-one interviews with research directors, as well as a lunch with individuals who had the position for which I applied. I was very impressed by everyone who interviewed me and found the process smooth and enjoyable.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked by several interviews to name specific projects/reports published by RAND and analyze their content, as well as provide my own opinion on the research.   Answer Question
    There wasn't really room for negotiation, but the offer was very fair.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at RAND in May 2008.

All-day interview meeting with all levels of people, from HR to Research Assistants and Researchers. Everyone is very polite and encouraging and wants to see what you bring to the table and if you are a good fit with the culture. While everyone is very busy with their own work the atmosphere is very cooperative and you get the feeling that they love what they do.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about your research experience, educational background, etc. Pretty standard but thorough.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at RAND in January 2010.

Seemed pro forma and that they were required to post the position but already had someone they wanted to hire. Totally uninterested , box checking, no response to topics/questions/attempt at any convo. Came away with the impression that job was posted strictly for CYA purposes. Clubby.