RAND

Relevance Date Difficulty

Researcher Interview

Researcher
Santa Monica, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at RAND in June 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview, then back-to-back meetings with 6 staff members. The staff were good listeners, asked smart questions and let me know that it was a great place to work. I set some boundaries early on by saying that I needed work-life balance and that was very much supported.

Interview Question – Describe the process you would undertake for this specific project and they system your would put in place to carry it out.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I named a price and they countered with something very close. Plus, the benefits are amazing. 4 weeks vacation with bonus pay for actually taking the days, plus they contribute 10%-14% of your salary to retirement!

Research Interview

Research

The process took a day - interviewed at RAND in January 2009.

Interview Details – I was contacted by the department head and interviewed by two within the department

Interview Question – Why I wanted to move to that specific city   View Answer

Researcher Interview

Researcher

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at RAND in December 2009.

Interview Details – Professional acquaintance called and pitched the position to me, invited me to send a resume and writing sample. I did so. I was invited to fly out for day-long interview (standard in my field) with seminar and several interviews including a lunch interview. Just a minor complaint: for a coast-to-coast flyout they should have offered to take me to dinner too but did not.

Unique to this organization is participation in teleconferences with offices in other locations. Teleconference equipment was state of the art and very effective, almost like being there.

All the travel arrangements and logistics were smooth and professional.

Interviewees should mainly do their homework on the organization and the position, like with any job.

Worked for RAND? Contribute to the Community!