RAPP Interview Questions

Updated Apr 26, 2015

2.7

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at RAPP.

Interview

initial Phone interview with director , individual in person interviews with directors and team, case study presentation to entire group. initial phone interview and in person interviews about a week apart. all in person interviews on same day

Media Budget Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at RAPP (El Segundo, CA).

Interview

The process took about a month from the time I applied, but once the ball's rolling, it only took about two week to hear back from them after I emailed and asked for an update, and I did not get an offer. First, there was a phone screen. Two days later they called me in for an in-person interview. The schedule included three mini sessions with two individual and a group, followed by an Excel test. Overall it was a positive experience.

Intern Interview

Interview

Sent in resume and portfolio through online, received a call and set up a date to interview. Interviewed with the Art Director. Received additional email a couple days later informing me I did not get the offer.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at RAPP.

Interview

Submitted resume at university career fair and submitted an additional resume and cover letter through my undergraduate career services office. I was then contacted via email to set up a Skype interview. Following the interview I received a call offering me the internship.

Interview Questions

• Pretty straightforward, casual, asked about my qualifications, why I was interested in this position and this company, then it became more conversational, we discussed marketing trends.   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation

Decision Science Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at RAPP (New York, NY).

Interview

The HR contacted me and setup for an in-person interview directly. I had to ask him to setup a phone interview before. I met in person for about 2 hours and got the offer next day.

The interview was easy and shared my work experience.

Negotiation

I asked for more but it didn't work. I should have been a little more adamant.

Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at RAPP (Irving, TX).

Interview

Preliminary phone interview with recruiter and scheduled an in-person interview. After getting a quick tour of the workplace, I spoke with 2 people individually with whom I'd be working under and was asked to come back for a second round interview the next day. I spoke with 3 more people individually in 30-minute intervals who I'd also work with (one didn't read my resume beforehand) and got an offer the next day over a phone call from the recruiter. Very fast process, which is understandable since it was for immediate hire.

Interview Questions

• Who inspires you / Who makes you cringe?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I tried to negotiate a higher salary, but the proposed wage was already higher than market value for the position. I agree, so I didn't continue to negotiate and accepted the original salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at RAPP (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

The interview was relatively simple and quick. I met with the HR manager, and then the department managers. It was only about 20 minutes, in total. The hiring process took a while, since they took forever to get back to me and respond as to whether I got the job or not

Interview Questions

• Nothing, really. They ask what you expect to get out of the internship, which is kind of difficult when you're not really sure what they have to offer and what you actually can get out of it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't really need to negotiate anything. They offered, I accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at RAPP (El Segundo, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

Very detailed and pretty much understood the concept of the company's goals and expectations. They seemed pretty much and very laid back creatives. I also had the opportunity to meet other creatives while taking a tour around the office. I was happy when I found out they were pleased with our thought process for the Fuji Film Instax.

Strategy - 'Ecosystem Design' (LOL!!) Interview

Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at RAPP (El Segundo, CA).

Interview

The interview process here is broken, be prepared to waste your time. I was contacted by RAPP as a passive candidate (i.e., I had work already that was acceptable). I was scheduled three times for a phone interview with the hiring manager. All three times the hiring manager was a no show with no notice from anyone from at the company. The first two times he skipped the call I did the "professional" thing and contacted HR about the no contact, and gave them the out that if they moved on, then no problem. I was assured that 'so sorry, we really want to speak to you'. After the third no show, I just let it go figuring if they can't make a simple phone screen, they probably have deeper problems like making payroll, executing projects, or treating clients and employees properly. HR contacted me unsolicited and scheduled a 4th phone screen with a different person which resulted in an on site set of interviews consisting of beauty contest questions "What's going to replace facebook?", "What's the greatest thing you hope to achieve?","So tell me about the "real" you?" and of course the mandatory late interviewers and email reading interviewers as alluded to by the other reviewer. Made me want to check the front door and see if there were sorority letters on the front.

In spite of follow up, I heard nothing positive or negative, wait, or go away. But, unbelievably, HR called me about another role two months later - they wanted me to come in to interview for another opportunity I'd "be perfect for". Amazing.

Interview Questions

• Just the low quality of the interviewers and questions - it's like a quiz on the headlines from the Ad Age, no depth whatsoever.   Answer Question

Strategy Interview

Interview

I had a personal recruiting connection, which is what started the process for me. I thought it was a little odd that no one wanted to phone-screen me first. Anyway, my contact told me the hiring manager(s) thought my resume looked interesting and could make a fit, and I was invited for an in-person.

I showed up and was informed that the recruiter I had been talking with was out that day due to an emergency. I was asked who I was interviewing with - those people were contacted by reception, and I was told one of them would be with me shortly.

A half-hour late, the hiring manager shows up, visibly in a bit of a frantic, distracted state. This person brings me into a conference room, asks a couple of high-level questions, but I saw that the interview was not fruitful at all. The manager apologized for their distraction. I suggested that we meet another time, and that was agreed upon as a good idea.

I showed up for the rescheduled interview. Most of the called-upon panel was not there. A person on the peer level of the role in question interviewed me first. Pleasant, very polite, but obviously unprepared, probably through no fault of their own. They were probably thrown into the room last-minute. They also asked asked an inappropriate question (something not exactly fair-play for job interviews) and said a couple of things that I found to be a little odd.

The senior-level hiring manager then showed up. What followed was the oddest interviewing experience I've ever had. This person (in no particular order): spent a good deal of the time with their face in their iPad, essentially acted like this was the first time they had seen my resume, commented on one of my questions and insinuated that it wasn't relevant (remember that for later...), and, it seemed to me, deliberately twisted questions towards convoluted and inaccurate outcomes. The "Most Difficult or Unexpected Question" is a true gem.

There are two types of interviews. Those led by skilled interviewers there to assess a candidate for the role and company and those led by people either don't know or don't care to assess candidates in a relevant way. There are two types of outcomes - positive (advancing rounds, getting an offer) and negative (the process ends for you).

This didn't go any further - and really, I'm OK with that. No sour grapes here because after this experience, I wouldn't touch the opportunity even if I had been deemed a successful candidate. The lack of preparedness, the somewhat bizarre line of questioning, my disagreement with the outlook on the work, and the rudeness of the lateness, scheduling debacles, and inconsiderate behavior were reasons enough to find a silver lining in the opportunity to keep a distance. My rejection letter even said I was thought to be inexperienced in the very topic that I had asked a question about (which was deemed irrelevant to the position).

Large agencies can be great places to work but it all depends on the people you're interacting with. If you get a bad feeling about the team, probably better to move on.

Interview Questions

• "I'm having a tough time figuring out why you're in this business..." Not a question, but it was certainly posed in an open-ended, response-seeking way.   1 Answer