RAPP

Relevance Date Difficulty

Decision Science Interview

Decision Science
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at RAPP.

Interview Details – The HR contacted me and setup for an in-person interview directly. I had to ask him to setup a phone interview before. I met in person for about 2 hours and got the offer next day.

The interview was easy and shared my work experience.

Negotiation Details – I asked for more but it didn't work. I should have been a little more adamant.

Receptionist Interview

Receptionist
Irving, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at RAPP.

Interview Details – Preliminary phone interview with recruiter and scheduled an in-person interview. After getting a quick tour of the workplace, I spoke with 2 people individually with whom I'd be working under and was asked to come back for a second round interview the next day. I spoke with 3 more people individually in 30-minute intervals who I'd also work with (one didn't read my resume beforehand) and got an offer the next day over a phone call from the recruiter. Very fast process, which is understandable since it was for immediate hire.

Interview Question – Who inspires you / Who makes you cringe?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I tried to negotiate a higher salary, but the proposed wage was already higher than market value for the position. I agree, so I didn't continue to negotiate and accepted the original salary.

Recruiting Manager Interview

Recruiting Manager
New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at RAPP in January 2011.

Interview Details – Received an inquiry on LinkedIn, was brought in for two rounds of interviews

Interview Question – Was asked questions about my entire resume   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Straight forward

Intern Interview

Intern
El Segundo, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at RAPP in January 2014.

Interview Details – Very detailed and pretty much understood the concept of the company's goals and expectations. They seemed pretty much and very laid back creatives. I also had the opportunity to meet other creatives while taking a tour around the office. I was happy when I found out they were pleased with our thought process for the Fuji Film Instax.

Interview Question – Doing the prompt for the presentation.   Answer Question

Senior Interactive Engineer Interview

Senior Interactive Engineer
Irving, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at RAPP in February 2009.

Interview Details – I came through a recruiter (after I was there I found the quality of candidates from this recruiter to be subpar - not sure what that says about me). I was interviewed by a group of people around a conference table, with several of them coming and going throughout the interview. This was pretty much standard after I was on the other side, as well. After getting through this step there may be a more detailed conversation with the actual hiring manager, but not always. The offer will come from HR.

Interview Question – The questions were general in nature and related to specific experience and motivations around the subject matter at hand. There really wasn't a difficult question. When asked about subjects I was unfamiliar with I was honest and it didn't hurt my chances.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Strategy - 'Ecosystem Design' (LOL!!) Interview

Strategy - 'Ecosystem Design' (LOL!!)
El Segundo, CA

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at RAPP.

Interview Details – The interview process here is broken, be prepared to waste your time. I was contacted by RAPP as a passive candidate (i.e., I had work already that was acceptable). I was scheduled three times for a phone interview with the hiring manager. All three times the hiring manager was a no show with no notice from anyone from at the company. The first two times he skipped the call I did the "professional" thing and contacted HR about the no contact, and gave them the out that if they moved on, then no problem. I was assured that 'so sorry, we really want to speak to you'. After the third no show, I just let it go figuring if they can't make a simple phone screen, they probably have deeper problems like making payroll, executing projects, or treating clients and employees properly. HR contacted me unsolicited and scheduled a 4th phone screen with a different person which resulted in an on site set of interviews consisting of beauty contest questions "What's going to replace facebook?", "What's the greatest thing you hope to achieve?","So tell me about the "real" you?" and of course the mandatory late interviewers and email reading interviewers as alluded to by the other reviewer. Made me want to check the front door and see if there were sorority letters on the front.

In spite of follow up, I heard nothing positive or negative, wait, or go away. But, unbelievably, HR called me about another role two months later - they wanted me to come in to interview for another opportunity I'd "be perfect for". Amazing.

Interview Question – Just the low quality of the interviewers and questions - it's like a quiz on the headlines from the Ad Age, no depth whatsoever.   Answer Question

Strategy & Enablement Coordinator Interview

Strategy & Enablement Coordinator
El Segundo, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at RAPP in January 2011.

Interview Details – After an initial screening phone call with a recruiter I was brought in for an interview. The interview appeared to be thrown together at the last minute and instead of meeting/interviewing with what would be my direct report I was interviewed by a Communications Planner in the Strategy Department, which made little sense to me. This was the only person I interviewed with.

Interview Question – "Describe a time when you were under intense pressure to deliver on a tight deadline and failed."   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate my salary up to a level that was more competitive with the industry standard.

Strategy Interview

Strategy

Interviewed at RAPP

Interview Details – I had a personal recruiting connection, which is what started the process for me. I thought it was a little odd that no one wanted to phone-screen me first. Anyway, my contact told me the hiring manager(s) thought my resume looked interesting and could make a fit, and I was invited for an in-person.

I showed up and was informed that the recruiter I had been talking with was out that day due to an emergency. I was asked who I was interviewing with - those people were contacted by reception, and I was told one of them would be with me shortly.

A half-hour late, the hiring manager shows up, visibly in a bit of a frantic, distracted state. This person brings me into a conference room, asks a couple of high-level questions, but I saw that the interview was not fruitful at all. The manager apologized for their distraction. I suggested that we meet another time, and that was agreed upon as a good idea.

I showed up for the rescheduled interview. Most of the called-upon panel was not there. A person on the peer level of the role in question interviewed me first. Pleasant, very polite, but obviously unprepared, probably through no fault of their own. They were probably thrown into the room last-minute. They also asked asked an inappropriate question (something not exactly fair-play for job interviews) and said a couple of things that I found to be a little odd.

The senior-level hiring manager then showed up. What followed was the oddest interviewing experience I've ever had. This person (in no particular order): spent a good deal of the time with their face in their iPad, essentially acted like this was the first time they had seen my resume, commented on one of my questions and insinuated that it wasn't relevant (remember that for later...), and, it seemed to me, deliberately twisted questions towards convoluted and inaccurate outcomes. The "Most Difficult or Unexpected Question" is a true gem.

There are two types of interviews. Those led by skilled interviewers there to assess a candidate for the role and company and those led by people either don't know or don't care to assess candidates in a relevant way. There are two types of outcomes - positive (advancing rounds, getting an offer) and negative (the process ends for you).

This didn't go any further - and really, I'm OK with that. No sour grapes here because after this experience, I wouldn't touch the opportunity even if I had been deemed a successful candidate. The lack of preparedness, the somewhat bizarre line of questioning, my disagreement with the outlook on the work, and the rudeness of the lateness, scheduling debacles, and inconsiderate behavior were reasons enough to find a silver lining in the opportunity to keep a distance. My rejection letter even said I was thought to be inexperienced in the very topic that I had asked a question about (which was deemed irrelevant to the position).

Large agencies can be great places to work but it all depends on the people you're interacting with. If you get a bad feeling about the team, probably better to move on.

Interview Question – "I'm having a tough time figuring out why you're in this business..." Not a question, but it was certainly posed in an open-ended, response-seeking way.   View Answer

Office Assistant Interview

Office Assistant
El Segundo, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at RAPP.

Interview Details – After sending an application I was called in for an interview. I was told the position was part-time and there would be duties like emptying the dishwasher and counting broken light bulbs. This is fine.

I interviewed with the Office Manager and told her I have experience filing, faxing, using Microsoft Office, and etc.

Then I interviewed again with Human Resources. Gave the same spiel. I asked about a timeline and when they would make a decision and he said next week. It's been a week and no response so far.

I sent my thank you and follow up letters. No response to those either.

Interview Question – What is your dream job?   View Answer

Strategy Interview

Strategy
New York, NY

The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at RAPP in May 2012.

Interview Details – Very laid back and conversational interviews with HR and three senior executives. The office environment felt a bit quiet, if not sleepy - perhaps because it was the morning. Typical interview questions revolved around discussing background, why the company, and why the position, and well as some case study-type questions to test how one thinks. Overall, interviewers were very friendly individuals who were nice to meet and gave a good impression of the company.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in advertising?   Answer Question
  • If our client wanted to market [new product], how would you go about deciding the best way to approach the assignment?   Answer Question

Worked for RAPP? Contribute to the Community!