RAPP

Updated Oct 1, 2014

2.6

Recruiting Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at RAPP in January 2011.

Received an inquiry on LinkedIn, was brought in for two rounds of interviews

Straight forward

Senior Information Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at RAPP in May 2010.

I have to say that Rapp isn't geared towards online media. This was repeated during the interviews. I came across as someone who had many years experience working with other ad agencies and this is not what they 'really' wanted. They have their own ways of doing things at the Irving office. User-experience is not exactly a great career ladder at Rapp as was seen that the UX director who had initially phone screened had left the company before I even got a chance to interview.

The interview consisted of an account manager who had 'her own idea' as to how the user-experience architect should work on. Outdated processes, unrealistic expectations was pretty much status quo from everything she was talking about. That's the problem with ad agencies... lots of ego, little real world experience.

The Creative Director was cool and told me I'd be running into problems with the creative team if I hired on as an IA, as they rarely saw eye to eye with the UX team.

So if you really want a career where your going to have to fight for your existence every day in an ad agency more geared towards junk mail than website creative work, feel free to take the job. I wouldn't be happy there.

Interview Questions
    • What processes did you usually deal with?   View Answer

Account Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at RAPP in November 2009.

RAPP came to my college to recruit, they brought an alum as well as the VP of hiring services. Initially they asked us to come with a presentation prepared about a brand that we had worked on. After this presentation, they asked me some questions about the brands that I had done work with and some technical aspects of the job.

Post this, I had 2 phone interviews with senior management - one VP and another Director. The HR person was great at keeping me in the loop, however, as soon as these 2 interviews were over, she fell off the planet and refused to keep in touch with me. I had no idea what had happened, if the job was still on the plate or not. A month later I let it go.

The experience was largely a negative one for me, since all the interviews went well, however HR didnt keep me in the loop about their plans. Additionally, they didnt give me any idea about how long the process would be, the number and kind of people involved, or any steps in the selection process.

Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at RAPP in July 2009.

My first interview consisted of a random group of people (who I would not wind up working with) asking me specific technical questions that had nothing at all to do with the job. By the end of the interview, the group admitted that none of them knew what kind of position I was applying for. This didn't seem to bother them, particularly. My second interview consisted of several sessions, two with people who would be reporting to me in the position. These two were basically complaint sessions where I just listened to them talk about everything they disliked about their job and the company. Another session was with a random employee who asked me generic "how do you work with people" questions and seemed fairly unpleasant.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were unexpected. They were totally generic and you'd find them on any list of interview questions.   Answer Question
    When I countered their salary offer with my salary requirements, they demanded to see a W2 from my previous employer before they would discuss it. The hiring process was so painfully slow that I didn't negotiate anything else. In the two months following their initial offer, one recruiter quit and another was fired. Nobody picked up their workload, and their phones and voicemail were left active. My frequent calls wound up in voicemail boxes that were unmonitored. At six weeks, I wasn't sure whether the job would actually materialize, but through the company switchboard I was able to follow up with the hiring manager who assured me that the hiring process was moving forward (which, for the majority of the time, it wasn't because HR had totally forgotten about the offer they extended to me).

Planning/Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at RAPP in July 2009.

Though the recruiters and the manager I interviewed with were very friendly, they were very slow to get back to me at every stage. Perhaps this was because I was applying from a different state but it was more difficult to stay on their radar screen throughout the process.

Information Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at RAPP in May 2009.

My interview experience at RAPP was fairly easy. Overall it felt more like the people I met with were more interested in meeting me and getting a feel for what I would be like as an employee / co-worker than a serious assessment of my skills. I assume this had a lot to do with the way the recruiter represented me and the strength of my resume.

The recruiter arranged an initial interview. I met first with the Creative team manager who introduced me to the Creative V.P. The conversations were short and professional, yet I also got a feel for the down-to-earth, "work hard / play hard" atmosphere that is a big part of the RAPP culture. I also met briefly with the manager over the digital technology team (web developers).

I was asked questions about my work history and a few probing questions meant to probe my knowledge and skill set. I was offered ample opportunity to ask my own questions, which I took advantage of, turning these meetings into good conversations.

Unfortunately, the senior I.A. -- the person whom this position reports to directly -- was out of the office that day. This was an unforeseen absence, not any kind of oversight or scheduling error. It did require that I return a few days later for a second interview directly with this person, but I didn't mind. Again, the conversation seemed brief - I think about 15 minutes - and done. From this conversation I got a better understanding of the day-to-day realities of the position and left with a good feeling. Which turned out to be correct, as I received an offer just a few days later.

Interview Questions
    There was no real negotiating -- I discussed my needs with the recruiter prior to the interview. He presented them to the company and all conditions were met. Nice and easy. :)

Senior Interactive Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at RAPP in February 2009.

I came through a recruiter (after I was there I found the quality of candidates from this recruiter to be subpar - not sure what that says about me). I was interviewed by a group of people around a conference table, with several of them coming and going throughout the interview. This was pretty much standard after I was on the other side, as well. After getting through this step there may be a more detailed conversation with the actual hiring manager, but not always. The offer will come from HR.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were general in nature and related to specific experience and motivations around the subject matter at hand. There really wasn't a difficult question. When asked about subjects I was unfamiliar with I was honest and it didn't hurt my chances.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at RAPP in January 2009.

First there was a phone call, calling me in to have the interview. I met with six or eight employees, all of which were from different departments. Most of them gave advice versus asking questions. It was very relaxed, didn't feel like an interview.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult team project you have endured?   Answer Question
    • What was the best experience you had in your internship?   Answer Question

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at RAPP.

Usually search by recommendations, get to know someone from inside. Or the other way is to enter direct from the college (some colleges are more recommended than other - first line of colleges in São Paulo); previous experience and personal and profissional recommendations are very necessary.

Interview Questions
    Easy because I understand the market parameters.

Intern Interview

The process took a weekinterviewed at RAPP in March 2012.

contacted by HR for internship, easy to schedule interview. laid back environment with lots of opportunities to network within employees from other parent company brands. everyone seemed really friendly and enjoyed what they were doing. interviewed by 3 more senior employees, for 2 positions.

Interview Questions
    • why should we hire you?   Answer Question
    • what's your the most interesting class that you've taken in your current program. why?   Answer Question