RBC Capital Markets Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

2.8

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at RBC Capital Markets.

Interview

Straight forward progress. One round interview; behavioral and a couple technical. I would suggest you to know about the company and its rankings. They are really proud of those statistics.

Interview Questions

• Do you rather have a dollar today or tomorrow?   1 Answer

Senior Registered Client Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Parsippany, NJ

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at RBC Capital Markets (Parsippany, NJ) in May 2015.

Interview

Questionable interview, interviewer however was not as thorough as she should have been. Did not ask enough questions regarding prior work experience and spoke mostly about herself and the role she played in the workplace. Did not explain the system they used or the training available, nor did she explain exactly how this company functions. I basically interviewed HER to obtain the information.

Interview Questions

• Did I enjoy working with clients in a fast paced environment?   1 Answer

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at RBC Capital Markets (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied through University.. Got called up for a phone interview which lasted for 30 mins and then had a Super Day at the office wth two 30 minute panel interviews.

Interview Questions

• Difficult technical questions, questions about projects on resume and past experiences, a few brain teasers, why finance etc   Answer Question
    • If you have a calculator with only the number 0 on it instead of all digits, how would you get it to display a 24?   1 Answer

Associate, Global Investment Banking Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at RBC Capital Markets (New York, NY).

Interview

1. Phone Screen for 30 minutes 2. Day 1: Four Interviews, 2 Seniors / 2 Junior Bankers 3. Day 2: Eleven Interviews, 8 Seniors / 3 Junior Bankers - Overall the process was very effective and simple. Received a call/email in 4 day or less notifying about the next stage and results. - Received offer; negotiation was very congenial. Final result: accepted it and now enjoy it.

Interview Questions

• - Walk through: DCF, LBO - Rank by order of Cost of Capital and explain the rationale: Debt vs Equity vs Cash? - How would you value a non-revenue generation business? - What is the difference between NPV and DCF? - Which is higher EBITDAx or NIx, why? - How do you calculate unlevered beta, and why do we care about it usually? - Talk about SOTP valuation analysis - Discuss levered vs unlevered valuation metrics - Why RBC (vs other banks)? - Why Investment Banking (coverage group) vs other coverage / product groups, and also vs other non-IB opportunities out there (e.g. consulting, etc.)? - Where do you see your self in 3 / 5 / long-term? - What is your management style? - Describe a situation in which you had to pacify a situation in a professional setting - Describe a situation where you under-performed - What do you look for in a new job? - Describe a situation where you were under a tight deadline with minimal supervision on something important - What do you do for fun?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at RBC Capital Markets (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

The first round was a phone screening which was very simple. The second round was onsite 2:1 interview at the RBC Capital Markets. Some people had 2 hour interviews, but mine was only 30 minutes. This interview was both behavioral and simple technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Basic shell programming commands.   Answer Question
    • What is object-orientated programming?   Answer Question
    • Basic C programming questions.   Answer Question
    • What is a stack, linked list, binary search tree?   Answer Question
    • There are 2 fathers and 2 sons, they each get an apple from an apple farm, but when they return there are only 3 apples (no one ate them or threw them out). How is this possible?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at RBC Capital Markets (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Two interview: first an easy 30 minute phone interview then a Super Day at the office with two 30 minute interviews with two people each. Difficult questions. Really dissected your resume. Looked down upon you. Also, they were running very late, which is unprofessional

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at RBC Capital Markets (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

I received a phone call from RBC saying that I got an onsite interview. I went to the site and had two separate interviews. Each room had two interviewers. The interviewers were very nice and seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say. Even though I did not have the financial background, there was still opportunity for me to work with RBC.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for an investment bank? This was difficult because of my lack up financial background.   Answer Question

Although it was a great opportunity, it was not within my field and I was unsure if I would truly be happy. Also, it was below the pay that I was willing to accept.

Global Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at RBC Capital Markets (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone Screen, invited to Superday. Superday was three, 30-minute interviews that included: 1) a fit, 2) a technical, and 3) a case (company valuation). The interview was extremely finance heavy and I do not have a finance background. I was surprised by many of the questions and the interviewers focused on trying to intimidate you, but it was a good experience. If you're applying here, I suggest knowing how to value a company, practicing mental math questions, and understanding in depth how the markets work.

Interview Questions

• What is the sum of all of the numbers from 1 to 30, 17^2, calculate the market capitalization were a few of the technical based questions   Answer Question

Project Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at RBC Capital Markets (Minneapolis, MN) in May 2014.

Interview

Applied online, got called a few days later for a phone screen. Set up an interview on site for a few days after that. Interview was very easy. It was one on one with the person who would be my future manager. She mostly told me about the position and asked me about my skills and strengths. Got the offer the next day.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chevy Chase, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at RBC Capital Markets (Chevy Chase, MD) in April 2014.

Interview

The interview was pretty easy because I prepared well and did my research. I also had a friend that had held a similar internship that helped me prepare. I also think that reading at least 5 articles from The Economist is also a good idea so you are able to make sure that your interviewers know that you stay educated on the current market atmosphere.

Interview Questions

• Case question on oil prices?   1 Answer