RBS Global Interview Questions

3.1

Banking Analysis Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at RBS Global (New York, NY) in October 2010.

Interview

Basic behavior questions, Why RBS, Why IB, and how will you transfer your skills to this job?

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at RBS Global in January 2012.

Interview

Online test, tele-interview one month later. Competence-based questions such as teamwork, leadership, motivation and fit questions such as why RBS, why GBM.

Structuring Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at RBS Global in September 2011.

Interview

Basically it took around 30-40 mins on the phone. Consisted of 2 parts: about RBS and division you are applying to, and then about your personal competencies.

1st Part:
    -why RBS
    -what do you know about the division
    -how your degree can support the division
    -what are you doing to develop skills for this division
    -what's your career goal
    -and something like that

2nd part:
    -tell me a time when you need to lead a project
    -and questions like that.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you have limited time to complete a project   Answer Question

Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chennai (India)

Application

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at RBS Global (Chennai (India)) in June 2011.

Interview

4 rounds - Technical/Project Manager/Program Manager/HR

Mainframe Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at RBS Global (Chennai (India)) in January 2011.

Interview

The interview started off with myself introducing about my career background. But, when it came to questions by the interviewer, he was throwing in general questions and was expecting a specific answer.

For instance, he asked how I would go about designing a system from scratch. And he wanted me to explain how I would code the programs (what calls in the pgm wud b static, what wud b dynamic).......I need atleast a person month to go from design to coding for a system, for which there is no func spec. Anyways, I explained the best I could...didn't go to the static, dynamic part though (mind it....he didn't get what he was looking for).

And then, he asked what are the ways of attaching to DB2. I said, for online, its thru RCT entries and for batch its through the utility IKJEFT01. He looked confused (well, not as confused as I was) and asked what are plans and packages? O.M.G....is this what he wanted from me? Sigh....he didn't get what he was expecting this time either. Now, I explained about plans and packages though.

Then, he was like, if some abend happens in a live CICS region, how wud u notify the on-call person. I said, write a JCL that wud abend to an extrapartition TDQ and once that JCL gets triggered, the on-call person wud know it. He mentioned that he wud write to the TDQ and then to CICS spool. Whatever....duh!!!

Finally, he concluded that there is a GAP between the level of technical competency that RBS expects and that I posses. That seemed surprisingly ridiculous to me.....this doesn't prove any gap in technical competency....this just proves that I AM NOT A MIND READER of the interview.

Well, well......life is not always fair. I had to say good riddance to the interviewer and good luck to all the poor souls out there who were set to be interviewed by this person.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a system from scratch? Need technical details.   Answer Question
    • How would you attach to a DB2 system?   Answer Question
    • If an abend happens in a live CICS region, how would you notify the on-call person through a program?   Answer Question

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at RBS Global in November 2010.

Interview

My experience was so strange becasue the hiring manager doesn't like my profile, but his boss-senior manager like my profile very much, may be it's due to I was working as a manager grade previously.

Engineering Interview

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at RBS Global in September 2010.

Interview

first level, but, the pay i asked for was not within their band level

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at RBS Global (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in July 2010.

Interview

One on one interview, mostly competency based questions no right or wrong answer just depends on how well you sell your skills e.g tell me about when u took a risk; tell me about when you did something someone else couldn't do; tell me of a time you didn't meet your deadline; tell me how you can convince someone to see your own point of view. tell me of a time you sold an idea to someone else.

Additional questions; why do you want to leave your current role; what do you know abt rbs; what motivated you to apply to the role.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiation was ok cos I knew about the package before going for the interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at RBS Global in April 2010.

Interview

First consists of a telephone screening intervview followed by a few technical interviews.

Interview Questions

• Explain how the quick sort algorithim works?   1 Answer

Global Banking and Markets Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at RBS Global in April 2010.

Interview

I applied for the internship position online at RBS careers website. You have to fill in a lot of information there, and be as detailed as possible. The next stage will consist of an email directing you to complete an intelligence/mathematical/logic test online. This stage is important, because the scores you get from the tests will determine how highly sought after you will be for HR. After this stage was a phone interview, which was quite basic and easy to pass. After the phone interview, I had three separate face-to-face interviews by different managers from different departments. This determines which department you will be slotted into, and which manager likes you the best/thinks you're the best fit for his/her department.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No. The internship allowance was pretty fixed, but HR was really flexible on when you can commence or end your internship period.