RBS Global Mainframe Team Lead Interview Questions

1 Interview Review

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Mainframe Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chennai (India)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at RBS Global in January 2011.

The interview started off with myself introducing about my career background. But, when it came to questions by the interviewer, he was throwing in general questions and was expecting a specific answer.

For instance, he asked how I would go about designing a system from scratch. And he wanted me to explain how I would code the programs (what calls in the pgm wud b static, what wud b dynamic).......I need atleast a person month to go from design to coding for a system, for which there is no func spec. Anyways, I explained the best I could...didn't go to the static, dynamic part though (mind it....he didn't get what he was looking for).

And then, he asked what are the ways of attaching to DB2. I said, for online, its thru RCT entries and for batch its through the utility IKJEFT01. He looked confused (well, not as confused as I was) and asked what are plans and packages? O.M.G....is this what he wanted from me? Sigh....he didn't get what he was expecting this time either. Now, I explained about plans and packages though.

Then, he was like, if some abend happens in a live CICS region, how wud u notify the on-call person. I said, write a JCL that wud abend to an extrapartition TDQ and once that JCL gets triggered, the on-call person wud know it. He mentioned that he wud write to the TDQ and then to CICS spool. Whatever....duh!!!

Finally, he concluded that there is a GAP between the level of technical competency that RBS expects and that I posses. That seemed surprisingly ridiculous to me.....this doesn't prove any gap in technical competency....this just proves that I AM NOT A MIND READER of the interview.

Well, well......life is not always fair. I had to say good riddance to the interviewer and good luck to all the poor souls out there who were set to be interviewed by this person.

Interview Questions
  • How would you design a system from scratch? Need technical details.   Answer Question
  • How would you attach to a DB2 system?   Answer Question
  • If an abend happens in a live CICS region, how would you notify the on-call person through a program?   Answer Question

Worked for RBS Global? Contribute to the Community!