RBS Global

Relevance Date Difficulty

Mainframe Team Lead Interview

Mainframe Team Lead
Chennai (India)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at RBS Global in January 2011.

Interview Details – The interview started off with myself introducing about my career background. But, when it came to questions by the interviewer, he was throwing in general questions and was expecting a specific answer.

For instance, he asked how I would go about designing a system from scratch. And he wanted me to explain how I would code the programs (what calls in the pgm wud b static, what wud b dynamic).......I need atleast a person month to go from design to coding for a system, for which there is no func spec. Anyways, I explained the best I could...didn't go to the static, dynamic part though (mind it....he didn't get what he was looking for).

And then, he asked what are the ways of attaching to DB2. I said, for online, its thru RCT entries and for batch its through the utility IKJEFT01. He looked confused (well, not as confused as I was) and asked what are plans and packages? O.M.G....is this what he wanted from me? Sigh....he didn't get what he was expecting this time either. Now, I explained about plans and packages though.

Then, he was like, if some abend happens in a live CICS region, how wud u notify the on-call person. I said, write a JCL that wud abend to an extrapartition TDQ and once that JCL gets triggered, the on-call person wud know it. He mentioned that he wud write to the TDQ and then to CICS spool. Whatever....duh!!!

Finally, he concluded that there is a GAP between the level of technical competency that RBS expects and that I posses. That seemed surprisingly ridiculous to me.....this doesn't prove any gap in technical competency....this just proves that I AM NOT A MIND READER of the interview.

Well, well......life is not always fair. I had to say good riddance to the interviewer and good luck to all the poor souls out there who were set to be interviewed by this person.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a system from scratch? Need technical details.   Answer Question
  • How would you attach to a DB2 system?   Answer Question
  • If an abend happens in a live CICS region, how would you notify the on-call person through a program?   Answer Question

Worked for RBS Global? Contribute to the Community!