REI

6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Fresno, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at REI in August 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and got called in for an in-person interview. Met with two supervisors for the interview. Very easy customer service based questions, nothing at all out of the ordinary. Was called back a few days later for a second interview with one of the sake supervisors and a second new one. Same thing for this one as well.

They are now doing group interviews at this location instead.

Interview Question – Nothing challenging at all; explain a time where a customer was irritated and what you did to make them happy, etc.   Answer Question

Bozeman, MT

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at REI in July 2011.

Interview Details – Apply Online, Phone interview, Group interview

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at REI in November 2011.

Interview Details – I was one of 150 applicants for 15 cashier positions that opened up for holiday sales. I made the first cut to the second round of roughly 50 candidates. The job posting appeared on Craig's List. The instructions were confusing and it was difficult to find the right steps to take to fulfill all the application requirements.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here (and not somewhere else)?   Answer Question

Fort Collins, CO

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at REI in April 2011.

Interview Details – I was contacted about a week after I applied online by a store associate and asked some basic screening questions. At the end of the call, she set me up for a group interview about a week later. Maybe it was the store's location in a "progressive" area (read: emphasizing teamwork over competition so no one's precious self esteem is hurt), but the group interview was pretty ridiculous. No direct questions were asked and I felt like I was doing a silly high school group project... Even for a cashier position (the interview included candidates for cashiers and sales associates), they seemed to expect expertise on a range of outdoor sports. That seems to bias it toward people who have money to spend on these things, which doesn't include me. On the plus side, they outlined the company's values clearly and did contact me before the latest date they gave at the interview.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you provided excellent customer service.   View Answer
  • Define what customer service means to you.   View Answer
  • Define what REI's mission statement and core values mean to you and how you would incorporate them into your work life.   View Answer

Cashier Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at REI.

Interview Details – Applied online. Phone interview. Group interview. Very laid back and fun atmosphere. Must stand out from the crowd.

Interview Question – Design a tent and sell it.   Answer Question

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at REI in November 2012.

Interview Details – Submit your resume and cover letter online and answer a series of questions regarding your knowledge of equipment.

If you pass the aforementioned part you will then be called. During this phone interview they will ask you why you want to work at REI. Next step, group interview.

The group interview tests is to see how you interact with others and to test your customer service skills. They do this by a series of exercises.

Exercise 1: "ice breaker"

Name, favorite outdoor hobby, why do you want to work at REI.

Exercise 2: (In groups) what does good customer service mean to you?

Answers: Friendly--> say hello when people come in the door

Make sure to be available to the customer. Fast and easy checkout. Knowledgeable, no pressure, sincere.

Exercise 3: Build your ideal tent in a team

Exercise 4: sell an item to a customer.

They want you to talk about it from experience. Read the label

Interview Question – Selling an item to a customer in an environment that is foreign to how they conduct business   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Interviews for Top Jobs at REI

Worked for REI? Contribute to the Community!

REI Videos

REI – Why Work for Us?

We Think It's Important to Feel Good About Where You Work People love working at REI because it's a place where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while enjoying a work-life balance. Another reason is that… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at REI Cashier interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by REI employees and interview candidates.