REI Customer Service Specialist Interview Questions

2.6

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Northridge, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northridge, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at REI in April 2014.

I was pretty nervous at first but it really wasn't bad at all. It was actually fun. You'll be around a bunch of people maybe 20-30 who are all in the same boat as you. My only advice would be to show passion. Doesn't even have to be in the outdoors. But you must show passion or you will never get hired. Just make sure they know that here's something out there you love, but preferably in the outdoors,

Interview Questions
  • You have to sella product towards to end. But still, no worries, you have time to think and plan.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for REI

Customer Service Specialist Interview

I applied online - interviewed at REI.

First I submitted a resume and application online. I then had a phone interview. I was then called back to come to a group interview where a good 30-40 people were. I dressed pretty casually. Most people were in jeans, nice shoes (no heels) and a nice blouse/shirt. Also in this room were many of the managers (all taking notes and paying close attention to how each person interacted.) We then went around the room introducing ourselves and one sport that we really enjoyed. We joined small teams, were given questions/qualities to expand upon (I can't remember what they were but they were pretty easy to answer) and were told to work together to come up with our answer. We then had one member present our answer in front of the group. Once we did that we were given a pen and had to partner up and take turns selling the pen to the other person. We would then switch partners. All the while they were carefully watching us. I noticed that the shy, nervous, un-confident people didn't get hired. I also noticed that the people who struggled to name a sport they liked also were not hired. The people who were hired were friendly, were eager to do the activities and were energetic. I think that was the gist of it... I was hired after that and went to training.

Interview Questions
    • Honestly, that was the most enjoyable interview I've ever been to--nothing about it was difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at REI in October 2011.

Group Interview

Interview Questions
    Everyone is paid the same starting out. So no negotiations went on.

Customer Service Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at REI in August 2012.

I first applied online, at multiple locations. Then I visited the locations I was most keen about and introduced myself to the hiring manager, or general manager if available. During the interview, I spoke about my previous experiences. Especially in my previous volunteer experiences. They were very friendly and interested in having an interview with me. The difficulty would be medium to high. Reason being is because, generally, people who work at REI have a strong sense of confidence and have particular traits on understanding people. You must be confident with yourself and have experience or so yourself experience the great outdoors and spark that passion with other.

Interview Questions
    • What would I do regarding a Return?

(Consider REI's hassle free return)
        Answer Question

I found a better paying opportunity, although I feel I probably would have enjoyed REI better than the job I chose.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Santa Fe, NM
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Fe, NM

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at REI in October 2012.

Group Interview- Don't Do It. "Authenticity, integrity, team-work, quality", etc., their mantra words, do not apply to these contrived, phony, competitive, and Lufwasse-ish, dogmatism-laced "group interviews."
    If you have a heart, or know anything about right-livelihood and caring about others you will stay clear of this organization. Corporatocracy.
    The group of 13 interviewees are split into mini-groups to collaborate on the question,
    "What does great customer service look like to you?"
    The Observers will be moving around the room, sitting next to you, then getting up to move to another spot.
    One guy in my mini-group was a return interviewee (one of four others). He was quite wiley,
    and had a prepared little sermon ready when the Reviewers sat next to us.
    The other return-interviewees were working it hard; identifying others' comments before adding their own, having pre-set responses, a mini-"passion" bio, or emphasizing the key words in the mission statement in their discussions.
    Their behavior came across as quite rehearsed, but the Observers were eating it up.
    There was obvious competitive energy, yet on the surface everyone was acting relaxed and cooperative.
    The saying, "would throw someone under the bus if they could get the job," came to mind.

Interview Questions
    • They rely heavilly on your speaking to a large group of people on the spot, after a mini-group "team-work" exercise.   View Answer
    • REI's Mission Statement and how you would reflect those values (?).   View Answer

I'm not a zombie.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Happy Valley, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Happy Valley, OR

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at REI in October 2011.

I applied online and then I got a phone call from the manager where he asked me about my availability, my interests, my work experience, etc. Then we scheduled a group interview for a few weeks out. My interview was today. There were 7 of us and around 8 REI employees as well. We started off by telling the group about our passions and why we chose REI. Then we did an icebreaker where we talked about our most memorable outdoor experience. Then we split into two groups. My group was myself, 2 other applicants, and 2 associates. The questions were pretty easy. They asked us what we would do to ensure good customer service if we were hired on. They asked us what customer service meant to us, and if we could think of a specific time that we encountered good/bad customer service. They did pull out a bag of products for us to"sell" to our partner. That was the scary part for me but it actually went really smoothly. They don't expect you to know everything about product. I chose a fleece vest, there were also some wool socks, a backpack, a water bottle, and a few other things in there. Overall, it was a really fun experience. I was nervous but everyone was laid back and really friendly. It was more of a discussion than an interview. If you're scared, don't be!

Interview Questions
    • How does REI's motto contribute to the way we do business?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Concord, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at REI in August 2011.

I applied online and got a call about a week later from the manager stating they were interested in me and asked a couple questions such as why I wanted to work there, my experience, and availability. I was then told I would be contacted for a group interview in a couple days. The group interview consisted of 10 applicants, myself included, all of whom were very nice and friendly. We introduced ourselves and what our hobbies were. We watched a power point presentation about REI's history then divided into about 4 groups and had to define what customer service meant, what REI's mission statement meant to us, and had to sell a number of REI's products that were laid out on a table to a partner. At the end we summarized what we learned and were told we would hear back within a week. I got a phone call later that night for a 1:1 interview w/ both supervisors who were very friendly and asked basic questions such as why I wanted to work there, what I would do about and upset customer, my experience, if I'm comfortable selling memberships, etc. I received another phone call 4 days later from the manager offering me the position which I happily accepted

Interview Questions
    There wasn't a negotiation process when the manager called me offering me the position she stated what the hourly wage was which I was already told earlier and just double checked my availability.

Customer Service Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at REI in April 2012.

I applied online at the REI website. I submitted my application to a store that was currently hiring, but a closer store to where I lived called me 3 days later even though at the time they weren't hiring. I just happened to apply right before they were doing their spring hiring.

I spoke with a supervisor over the phone. Questions were about availability for orientation, knowing that I'd have to been open to working some evenings/weekends, if/when I had any vacations planned, if I was a member, if I did any outdoor activities, and to set up an in store 1:1 interview for two days later.

I was interviewed by an Assistant Manager who was really upbeat and was someone I could easily talk to. I was asked some of the same questions that the supervisor asked in addition to what the REI mission and customer service mean to me, any issues working with customers in past retail jobs, and what department I would like to work in and why. I asked some questions as well.

I was basically offered the job at the end, but they sent me an online Employment Application so I had to fill out some of the same info again but also had to agree to a background check and I gave them references.

Interview Questions

Worked for REI? Contribute to the Community!