REI

Updated Dec 29, 2014

2.5

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Applied online. Was called for a phone interview that went over the dates I would be expected to work, base pay and general customer service related questions (eg. How would you handle a difficult customer?) After about a 15 minute conversation, I was given two dates to choose from to do a group interview. The interview consisted of a series of exercises relating to customer service, the co-op's history, product knowledge and team work.

Interview Questions
  • The mission of the co-op was presented: "REI is meant to inspire, educate and outfit for a lifetime of adventure" and I was given markers and sheet paper to "show" what this meant to me. Abstract question. Gave abstract answer. I drew pictures.   Answer Question
None. Base pay was base pay.

Other Interview Reviews for REI

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northridge, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at REI.

I applied online to REI.com/careers. The application process was very simple and easy. I was called for an interview around two weeks after I had submitted my application. They called me and we set up a time for a group interview. I showed up to the interview wearing casual attire. I do however, recommend wearing business casual attire because I was the only one wearing super casual clothing. There were 12 of us at the group interview so do be prepared. We were sent to the back and began the process. We were split into three groups of four and went around to different managers answering questions such as: What does customer service mean to you, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Overall the interview was very laid back and all of the present managers made us feel really good about us being there. I ended up getting an offer!

Interview Questions
    • Here is an item. We would like for you to sell it to us.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. They called me a day after the interview and offered me the job. It was quick and easy. They were extremely kind about it as well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at REI in November 2014.

I applied online for a seasonal position and was contacted a few days later to schedule an in-person interview. The interview lasted about 30 minutes with a store manager. I think they really needed seasonal workers quickly and thus did not go through the group interview process. They asked a lot of questions for a retail store, but it does make sense—REI is a great place to work that pays above average and has benefits for part-time workers. I was asked many "tell me a time when" type questions. I was then asked to send them references.

Interview Questions

I didn't not accept as I found a full-time job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cranston, RI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cranston, RI

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at REI.

applied online and it took about 2 days to get back to me. Very nice and friendly, laid back people. The interview was 1 on 1 and some basic questions about experience, why I want to work at REI and what my passions are.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever had experience handling large amounts of valuables or money before?   View Answer
    no negotiation on payment

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northridge, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at REI in April 2014.

I was pretty nervous at first but it really wasn't bad at all. It was actually fun. You'll be around a bunch of people maybe 20-30 who are all in the same boat as you. My only advice would be to show passion. Doesn't even have to be in the outdoors. But you must show passion or you will never get hired. Just make sure they know that here's something out there you love, but preferably in the outdoors,

Interview Questions
    • You have to sella product towards to end. But still, no worries, you have time to think and plan.   Answer Question

Customer Service Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at REI.

First I submitted a resume and application online. I then had a phone interview. I was then called back to come to a group interview where a good 30-40 people were. I dressed pretty casually. Most people were in jeans, nice shoes (no heels) and a nice blouse/shirt. Also in this room were many of the managers (all taking notes and paying close attention to how each person interacted.) We then went around the room introducing ourselves and one sport that we really enjoyed. We joined small teams, were given questions/qualities to expand upon (I can't remember what they were but they were pretty easy to answer) and were told to work together to come up with our answer. We then had one member present our answer in front of the group. Once we did that we were given a pen and had to partner up and take turns selling the pen to the other person. We would then switch partners. All the while they were carefully watching us. I noticed that the shy, nervous, un-confident people didn't get hired. I also noticed that the people who struggled to name a sport they liked also were not hired. The people who were hired were friendly, were eager to do the activities and were energetic. I think that was the gist of it... I was hired after that and went to training.

Interview Questions
    • Honestly, that was the most enjoyable interview I've ever been to--nothing about it was difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Fe, NM
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Fe, NM

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at REI in October 2012.

Group Interview- Don't Do It. "Authenticity, integrity, team-work, quality", etc., their mantra words, do not apply to these contrived, phony, competitive, and Lufwasse-ish, dogmatism-laced "group interviews."
    If you have a heart, or know anything about right-livelihood and caring about others you will stay clear of this organization. Corporatocracy.
    The group of 13 interviewees are split into mini-groups to collaborate on the question,
    "What does great customer service look like to you?"
    The Observers will be moving around the room, sitting next to you, then getting up to move to another spot.
    One guy in my mini-group was a return interviewee (one of four others). He was quite wiley,
    and had a prepared little sermon ready when the Reviewers sat next to us.
    The other return-interviewees were working it hard; identifying others' comments before adding their own, having pre-set responses, a mini-"passion" bio, or emphasizing the key words in the mission statement in their discussions.
    Their behavior came across as quite rehearsed, but the Observers were eating it up.
    There was obvious competitive energy, yet on the surface everyone was acting relaxed and cooperative.
    The saying, "would throw someone under the bus if they could get the job," came to mind.

Interview Questions
    • They rely heavilly on your speaking to a large group of people on the spot, after a mini-group "team-work" exercise.   View Answer
    • REI's Mission Statement and how you would reflect those values (?).   View Answer

I'm not a zombie.

Customer Service Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at REI in August 2012.

I first applied online, at multiple locations. Then I visited the locations I was most keen about and introduced myself to the hiring manager, or general manager if available. During the interview, I spoke about my previous experiences. Especially in my previous volunteer experiences. They were very friendly and interested in having an interview with me. The difficulty would be medium to high. Reason being is because, generally, people who work at REI have a strong sense of confidence and have particular traits on understanding people. You must be confident with yourself and have experience or so yourself experience the great outdoors and spark that passion with other.

Interview Questions
    • What would I do regarding a Return?

(Consider REI's hassle free return)

Answer Question

I found a better paying opportunity, although I feel I probably would have enjoyed REI better than the job I chose.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Happy Valley, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Happy Valley, OR

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at REI in October 2011.

I applied online and then I got a phone call from the manager where he asked me about my availability, my interests, my work experience, etc. Then we scheduled a group interview for a few weeks out. My interview was today. There were 7 of us and around 8 REI employees as well. We started off by telling the group about our passions and why we chose REI. Then we did an icebreaker where we talked about our most memorable outdoor experience. Then we split into two groups. My group was myself, 2 other applicants, and 2 associates. The questions were pretty easy. They asked us what we would do to ensure good customer service if we were hired on. They asked us what customer service meant to us, and if we could think of a specific time that we encountered good/bad customer service. They did pull out a bag of products for us to"sell" to our partner. That was the scary part for me but it actually went really smoothly. They don't expect you to know everything about product. I chose a fleece vest, there were also some wool socks, a backpack, a water bottle, and a few other things in there. Overall, it was a really fun experience. I was nervous but everyone was laid back and really friendly. It was more of a discussion than an interview. If you're scared, don't be!

Interview Questions
    • How does REI's motto contribute to the way we do business?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at REI in October 2011.

Group Interview

Interview Questions
    Everyone is paid the same starting out. So no negotiations went on.