REI

2.5

Sales Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eugene, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eugene, OR

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at REI in September 2014.

I applied online for this position when I saw an opening. I did not hear anything from REI until a few days later, and not until after I had gone into the store with my resume to introduce myself. I met a sales manager there, and he said they would give me a call, maybe the following week. The store manager called me within two hours of my visit to complete a phone interview, and scheduled an in-person interview right away. My in-person interview was with two managers, not in a group setting. The interview was pretty easy and conversational, and the managers were both very pleasant. They asked a lot of questions off of an interview form of sorts, but most of their questions ended up being follow-up questions to my answers. They advised they were wrapping up interviews that day, and that I would likely hear from them by the end of the week. I got a call two days later with a job offer.

Interview Questions
    The first thing mentioned in both interviews was the starting pay. I suspect this is because of the retail environment, in which many corporate stores do not have the flexibility to negotiate. As such, I did not negotiate and I find the starting pay (along with benefits) to be quite satisfactory.

Sales Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at REI in September 2014.

I applied online and got a call about 3 days later (I applied over labor day weekend, and was called the day after labor day). During the phone call, they asked some basic qualifying questions like availibility on a weekly basis, availibility for training, discussed postitions and pay and then set up an in-person interview.

The interview happened about 9 days later because of my availibility. The interview was pretty easy, I was interviewed by two people (one was training to be a manager), they asked questions like do you have experiance working in a team and if so please explain, tell us about a time you had to calm down an angry customer and what was the end result. Then, they asked basic questions about the REI memberships, and continued on about placement in store (cashier, Action Sports, stocking, etc.)

Then about 6 days later, I got a call from them but missed it because I was in class and they left a message saying something about try to call back before 5 but if not we will call you next week, so I thought I got it. When I got ahold of them they told me that my availibilty was the only thing keeping me from getting hired, but that they would like to keep in touch if they have other openings down the road. They even offered to be a reference for me if I applied to a different REI, which I thought was super respectable.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever had to calm down an angry customer and if so, how did it end?   View Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

I went into the downtown Seattle location and asked if they were hiring and they said yes and also informed me that there were regular interview sessions weekly. This was a group interview and all I had to do was show up at one of the weekly sessions. There was no internet application to fill out. When I showed up to the interview, there were easily 100 people there in their big conference room. There was a general introduction where each person was asked to stand and tell everyone their name and one interesting fact about yourself that you think others might find interesting or unique. Then, we broke into groups and were given the assignment to find the best way to sell an item to a customer. After having been given some time to think about how to do that, each group did a role play in front of the rest of the other interviewees. It was actually a pretty fun experience. Then, a manager came around to each of the groups to talk to us and take notes about us.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult and unexpected task was getting up and speaking and role-playing in front of the rest of the interviewees, but all of the other people were very nice and positive and it made the experience fun despite that little bit of anxiety and awkwardness. I didn't really know what one interesting thing to say about myself when it came my turn to do so, but I did find something   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at REI.

I filled out an application online and thought I was applying for a specific job, but when I stopped into the store to inquire about positions, management said they were always looking for general help. I said I filled out an application online and handed them a printed resume. I was e-mailed a link to an additional application and then scheduled for an interview within a few days. It was a fairly quick process.

Sales Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at REI.

Definitely the weirdest interview I've ever been to. I got an invitation to what I thought was an information session with an interview afterwards, only to find it was in fact a "group interview". Haven't done one of these before? Here's a quick overview: you sit theater-style and watch a Powerpoint on the company. The chairs are moved and everyone is broken into groups. Each group/pair is asked a series of questions regarding sales, customer service, etc. while the store management observes. I can't really get across how awkward and uncomfortable this is. The supervisors/managers circle you like sharks with notepads and exchange hushed conversations about......who knows what (your teeth? that shirt you wore? the way you talked up a tent?). The whole thing took probably two hours but felt like at least eight.

Interview Questions
    • "Think of your ideal piece of camping gear and try to sell it to your partner."   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at REI.

I was contacted by a recruiter and had a half hour phone interview with her. A few weeks later, I had a phone interview with the store manager. This is for a new store and I never met the store manager.

Interview Questions
    • The store manager asked what I do with my time off.   View Answer

Sales Specialist - Soft Goods Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at REI in August 2014.

The whole hiring and interview process is very laid back, much like the company itself. I applied through the website by dropping a resume and answering a few questions about my availability. They were currently hiring at the time so I was contacted the next day over the phone for a brief phone interview. As I recall, they just asked basic questions about my availability, what area of the store interested me most, whether I personally shopped at REI, etc. I doubt anyone was weeded out at this stage. They offered me a chance to come the next week for a group interview.

The group interview was not like a typical one where you have to compete with each other for speaking time - overall it felt more like a focus group. We sat in a circle and for the first question we just went around the room introducing ourselves, explaining what aspect of the outdoors interested us, and whether or not we had any previous experience in the industry (either in retail sales or otherwise in the outdoor industry). Then we paired up with the person next to us and had to pick an item to sell to our partner (and vice versa). After taking turns doing that, we got back together in the circle and we had to take turns selling our *partner's* item to the rest of the group (i.e., you had to have paid attention to details, even if you had no idea what the gear did prior to them selling it to you). Next, we broke off into 3 groups of about 4 people and went to separate rooms. The interviewer then asked the group as a whole several questions, but with only a few other people in the room it wasn't a challenge to get speaking time. I think they asked something like "What does good service look like to you?" and "How would you describe the experience of shopping at REI?". Finally they gave each of us a scenario to work through, all of which were pretty simple. It would be something like "You're helping someone pick out a tent, but you see someone looking for help in the department next to yours, and you just got paged about a phone call on line 1. What do you do?" (If you can't come up with something to say to that, don't work in retail...)

This took place on a Wednesday and as I recall they called us the next Friday with our results.

Interview Questions
    • All pretty typical questions - the only surprising one was when we had to sell a product that someone else had just sold to us. Requires you to focus quite a bit, as the item they sold you may be something you previously knew nothing about.   View Answer
    They told us the offer was for 10 an hour, and I didn't attempt to negotiate. There were way more experienced people hired alongside me, so I didn't feel that I had any bargaining power.

Sales Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellingham, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellingham, WA

I applied online – interviewed at REI.

Phone interview which was a very basic screening type interview. He asked about my previous work history and why I wanted to work at REI.

The interviewer asked to set up an in-person interview with himself and another manager right away.

The two that interviewed me seemed very uninterested and distracted upon meeting them.

Questions were read from a piece of paper and the whole process seemed rushed. Only one question about previous work experience. Neither of the interviewers even looked at my resumé. Mostly situational type questions about how you would handle certain situations on the sales floor. All of the questions were very basic for this type of interview so nothing caught me off guard. The majority of the interview was spent by them talking about the position and about their own careers at REI.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a problem that you have faced and what was your solution. Also talk about how you implemented this solution.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at REI.

If you are being referred by a friend, DO NOT apply until they send you an email invitation to apply or you wont' be considered a referral. Being a referral is good for you and them, so follow the invitation to apply email, and don't get in REI's database first. You'll be contacted by phone and invited to a group interview. The group interviews have lots of applicants (maybe 30) and lots of interviewers (maybe 10). They're fun and silly, and REI is looking to see your personality and communication style. Dress in clean, well maintained casual or outdoorsy clothing.

Interview Questions
    • "If you were a piece of outdoor gear, what would you be and why?"
      OR "Sell me this pencil."

View Answer
    They offered me a wage. I said I was sorry, and I really wanted to work there, but I was worth more money to REI than that. They'd still find me a great value at a dollar more, and it would be unwise of me to give them my abilities for less. They met my request.

Product Specialist Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at REI in May 2014.

Group interview beginning with introducing yourself. You group up and present a product. You group up again to present best and worst customer service experiences. The Store management observes you interacting with the group and how you present yourself.