REI Interview Questions

Updated Sep 11, 2014
Updated Sep 11, 2014

2.5

Sales Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at REI in April 2010.

It was a phone interview with the head store manager and another manager. The interview lasted about 45 minutes, with many questions and subquestions about work history, leadership style, examples asked of "situation-action-result" type questions.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between a manager and a leader?   Answer Question

Sales Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at REI.

Phone interview and was invited to group interview soon after.

Hourly pay was announced to the hire group. No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied in-person - interviewed at REI in June 2010.

Phone interview first, group interviews next

Retail Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at REI.

Group Interviews. You have to stand out from the crowd or you will never get hired. Don't just say "what he said." Come up with an original answer.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked a few pretty ridiculous questions in my interviews, so be ready for the unexpected. I was asked "how would you weigh a baby elephant if you didn't have a scale big enough for the job?" not joking.   Answer Question
    there is no negotiation. you either take what they offer or not.

Sales Associate Interview

REI often has group interviews with multiple observers. It is important to memorize the mission statement and think about how it applies to sales situations. You have to be extraverted and friendly, but not domineering or aggressive. REI does extremely thorough background checks to ensure that employees are completely honest, because of the potential for theft in the store.

Interview Questions
    • Sell this product (they hand you something you know nothing about).   View Answer
    Salary is not negotiable.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kent, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 months - interviewed at REI in January 2014.

Odd experience. Clearly culture is above all, which is fine, but interviewers each asked personal questions about my "lifestyle" and what I like to do outdoors under the guise of assessing culture fit. Seemed inappropriate. Workplace was described as democratic, slow paced, and focused on culture rather than results. Some situational questions but mainly hypotheticals ("how would you solve for...?").

Interview Questions
    • People here tend to take care of themselves. Like, eating well and active lifestyles. Not everyone does, but most do. What do you do outdoors?   Answer Question

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kent, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA

I applied online - interviewed at REI in February 2013.

Phone screen interview followed by in-person interview with 3 people

Interview Questions
    • why have you been unemployed for several month   View Answer
    there wasn't really any

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chula Vista, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chula Vista, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at REI in February 2014.

I applied online, then printed out my resume with a letter of recommendation from an old teach and turned them into the store in person. My resume was as unique as possible to make it stand out, it included pictures of different backpacking trips and summit climbs and went into detail on my small business that I own(its sole purpose is to build my portfolio, not an income). I knew a lot of the things on my resume seemed like a lie(it isn't every day you meet a 19 year old who runs a small production business). The managers I met in person I believer were Jordan and Danny(both great guys). Knew one of them from making frequent visits to the store in the past. I got a good vibe from them and a week later I was called into an interview. It was a group interview, there were about 30-40 people who showed up which was a bit nerve racking sense i knew they had also held another group interview just the Sunday before which meant all of us were competing for one opening. The managers however did a great job on the introduction and soon I wasn't nervous at all. The interview was a very very very fun experience, great people, great conversations. With out a doubt the best interview I have ever been to. I can now see why(when conducted properly) a group interview can be more beneficial to both the candidates and employer. I was extremely confident though out the interview, it didn't take long for me to realize no one there hand the kind of experience I did with the gear REI sells. I was able to prove it in one of the exercises when I went into detail about the differences between down(goose or duck) and synthetics(continuous, or short staple) sleeping bags and how the stitching(box baffles, sown through, shingled, or quilted) was also a factor to think about. I even went further to explain the UN temp rating and the Unit of fill power. I saw my opportunity to show off my knowledge of the gear so I took and could tell the other candidates weren't to happy about that. lol. After the interview I continued to visit the store frequently because I was preparing for a backpacking trip to Kings canyon to produce some 4k HDR timelapses for my small business to sell as stock footage. Because of this I saw many of the managers frequently after the interview and held conversations with them. As always I got a great vibe from them and also got to know them a little more as people rather then potential future managers of mine I was trying to suck up to. I was almost certain I would get the job. However 2 weeks after the interview(that would be today, feb 28) one of the managers gave me a call to inform me they had chosen a different candidate. I was quit shocked but not mad or disappointed. I had gotten to know some of the managers(really great people) so what ever their reasoning was for not picking me, I trusted it and didn't take it personally. In the end I think my down fall was my age, despite being way over qualified for the job(and having turned 20 during the 2 weeks after the interview), I believe the managers knew that someone wouldn't want to take advice on how to pack their bag, which tents to buy, and what sleeping bags they probably needed from someone who looked like a kid(Im a small guy, I am 20 but look 16). So I imagine the candidate they chose was an older(mid or late 20s) person who also had more retail experience, which seems to be a habit of theirs. If you go into the store no employe looks like their younger than 24, and if you start asking them questions you can easily tell they only know specs and have very limited field experience with the equipment(except for the climb at bike guys). But I cant blame them for that, this is REI in the middle of San Diego, no one is going to walk into the store(other than me maybe) asking weather if they knew the nova caps were interchangeable and had the same thread count as MSR fuel caps, or if the water resistant down effected the fill power rating on that 0 degree sleeping bag(all questions I have personally asked... its easy to lose those fuel camps man!!) I plan on apply again in the future, but thats only if the Adventure 16 outdoor store doesn't take me. If they do then to bad REI, you missed out.

Interview Questions
    • What are three words that describe you? How would you sell memberships?   Answer Question

Customer Service Specialist Interview

I applied online - interviewed at REI.

First I submitted a resume and application online. I then had a phone interview. I was then called back to come to a group interview where a good 30-40 people were. I dressed pretty casually. Most people were in jeans, nice shoes (no heels) and a nice blouse/shirt. Also in this room were many of the managers (all taking notes and paying close attention to how each person interacted.) We then went around the room introducing ourselves and one sport that we really enjoyed. We joined small teams, were given questions/qualities to expand upon (I can't remember what they were but they were pretty easy to answer) and were told to work together to come up with our answer. We then had one member present our answer in front of the group. Once we did that we were given a pen and had to partner up and take turns selling the pen to the other person. We would then switch partners. All the while they were carefully watching us. I noticed that the shy, nervous, un-confident people didn't get hired. I also noticed that the people who struggled to name a sport they liked also were not hired. The people who were hired were friendly, were eager to do the activities and were energetic. I think that was the gist of it... I was hired after that and went to training.

Interview Questions
    • Honestly, that was the most enjoyable interview I've ever been to--nothing about it was difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at REI in February 2014.

Did application online and got call back 2 days later. Interview was One-On-One and was fairly simple and sat outside for interview with nice lady. Questions were fairly simple. Interviewer said she would set me up for second interview but he wanted to meet me right away so I had my second interview same day 5 minutes later. He was really nice and said he liked me. He even had Awesome Tattoos. we discussed some basic products and both agreed we didn't like Bare-footers and it was set! Told me I got the job and set me Up for training. May 2nd 2014. Start off pay $10.00

Interview Questions
    • What Was the last product you bought here?   View Answer
    He Told me they start off at $10.00 . No negotiation.