REI

Updated Nov 24, 2014
Updated Nov 24, 2014

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at REI.

Candidate-group interview. Informal. Small groups are given problem statements and the group's work is observed.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a difficult customer who was very demanding?   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at REI in April 2014.

I applied on Sunday and was contacted by the recruiting team on Wednesday to schedule a group interview. I was very impressed with how efficient and detailed the recruitment was throughout the whole process. Emails included required training dates and specific instructions. They even sent multiple reminder emails for the group interview! In short, very organized, efficient and friendly. The group interview was also a very fun experience, and made it clear they were looking for team players, so stand out, but don't necessarily take over. They really took the time to describe the company's values and details of the position. I was also impressed by how well everyone on the team got along at all levels, and they definitely showed they liked to conduct these interviews (that they were learning from us as well). (Store Manager, Sales Manager, Administrative Specialist and sales associate) After a round robin of "get to know you" questions, the 20-25 of us were split into small groups to work on the group exercises, which were the "questions" of the interview, while members of the team circulated to listen in and take notes. Have not yet heard back, but I hope to; clearly a phenonmenal place to work..

Interview Questions
    • You haven't gone to lunch yet, but you are helping a customer in the store, there is another customer on the phone, and a line is building at the cashwrap. What do you do to make sure everyone gets exceptional customer service? (Oh yeah, and you don't have the option of enlisting the help of your co-workers or managers; they are busy too.)   View Answer

Frontline Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at REI in April 2014.

Applied for an HQ job but got an invitation to a group hiring event instead at the Flagship Seattle store. These events are held with large groups of people (mine was about 125) and each person is paired with an employee for a 15 minute screening interview. If you get through that, you may be invited back to talk more in depth with another employee on a different date. The process is fast and efficient. Most people were dressed very casually in keeping with the REI culture. Although the process is fairly low-stress, REI has high expectations of its employees and they are definitely looking for outdoor saavy people, often extroverts with a diverse background and many interests, outdoors and otherwise, regardless of position.

Interview Questions
    • While I don't recall a specifically difficult question, you must fill out a form upon arrival in which you detail your level of experience with certain activities and equipment. This can be a challenge for those new to the outdoors or those who are only casually involved in outdoor activities.   Answer Question
    There was no opportunity for negotiation. The salary is what is offered.

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northridge, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northridge, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at REI in April 2014.

I was pretty nervous at first but it really wasn't bad at all. It was actually fun. You'll be around a bunch of people maybe 20-30 who are all in the same boat as you. My only advice would be to show passion. Doesn't even have to be in the outdoors. But you must show passion or you will never get hired. Just make sure they know that here's something out there you love, but preferably in the outdoors,

Interview Questions
    • You have to sella product towards to end. But still, no worries, you have time to think and plan.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at REI in April 2014.

It took one full year to be asked to interview. Then there was a Sunday interview, and we were told it had to be that day only. It was a group interview of about 25 people, and half were hired. A few days later, I got a call asking if I wanted the job.

Interview Questions
    • No hard questions. Basically the hardest part was standing in front of everyone else and saying why you wanted to work there.   Answer Question
    We were all told up-front what the salary was and that they could not guarantee keeping anyone past the summer temp job needs.

Sales Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at REI.

Phone interview and was invited to group interview soon after.

Hourly pay was announced to the hire group. No negotiation.

Retail Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at REI.

Group Interviews. You have to stand out from the crowd or you will never get hired. Don't just say "what he said." Come up with an original answer.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked a few pretty ridiculous questions in my interviews, so be ready for the unexpected. I was asked "how would you weigh a baby elephant if you didn't have a scale big enough for the job?" not joking.   Answer Question
    there is no negotiation. you either take what they offer or not.

Sales Associate Interview

REI often has group interviews with multiple observers. It is important to memorize the mission statement and think about how it applies to sales situations. You have to be extraverted and friendly, but not domineering or aggressive. REI does extremely thorough background checks to ensure that employees are completely honest, because of the potential for theft in the store.

Interview Questions
    • Sell this product (they hand you something you know nothing about).   View Answer
    Salary is not negotiable.

Customer Service Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at REI.

First I submitted a resume and application online. I then had a phone interview. I was then called back to come to a group interview where a good 30-40 people were. I dressed pretty casually. Most people were in jeans, nice shoes (no heels) and a nice blouse/shirt. Also in this room were many of the managers (all taking notes and paying close attention to how each person interacted.) We then went around the room introducing ourselves and one sport that we really enjoyed. We joined small teams, were given questions/qualities to expand upon (I can't remember what they were but they were pretty easy to answer) and were told to work together to come up with our answer. We then had one member present our answer in front of the group. Once we did that we were given a pen and had to partner up and take turns selling the pen to the other person. We would then switch partners. All the while they were carefully watching us. I noticed that the shy, nervous, un-confident people didn't get hired. I also noticed that the people who struggled to name a sport they liked also were not hired. The people who were hired were friendly, were eager to do the activities and were energetic. I think that was the gist of it... I was hired after that and went to training.

Interview Questions
    • Honestly, that was the most enjoyable interview I've ever been to--nothing about it was difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at REI.

You get a phone interview if your resume is selected by a hiring committee. If you pass the phone interview, you get invited to a group interview. The group interview puts you through exercises that tests your personal/group skills, personality, and leadership skills.
    The people that seem to get hired most are laid back, and friendly. Just about anyone can get hired as a cashier, you don't need outdoor experience for that.

Interview Questions
    • None. It's easy to get hired here, just don't expect a whole lot after you get hired, and you will be happy.   Answer Question
    There are no negotiations in retail at this level.