REI Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

2.5

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Santa Barbara, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online, and I got called back a few days later. I had a small interview with the Sales Lead and a store Manager. The interview was very basic with typical questions. The sales lead asked all of the questions and the manager just sat silently. The phone screening process was pretty simple as well, standard questions (availability, experience, etc.).

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxnard, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Oxnard, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

So far, I have done the phone interview. The store manager sounded very nice and asked questions such as what does nature mean to you, why do you want to work for REI, how many hours am I interested in, etc. Then I was invited to partake in a group interview, which I will be attending.

Retail Sales Specialist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at REI.

Interview

Group interview with two admins/managers and 6 candidates all together; questions asked by managers and any candidate could answer (or not). Very casual, just sitting in a circle of chairs within inches of each other in a small room with closed door. This is the smallest store of 10 in the area and they didn't have any other rooms with privacy.

Sales Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at REI (San Diego, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I walked in and asked to speak to a manager or sales lead. I was directed to the sales lead who informed me the company hires by season and they had just finished hiring for the summer season. He asked me for a résumé so he could call me if anything became available in the future, he also recommended I apply online. I gave him my résumé and I received a call about two weeks later during which they briefly screened me over the phone and then scheduled a face-to-face interview at their location.

Interview Questions

• If you were a sales specialist here in the store and you were helping one customer answer a question about a product when suddenly a second, more abrasive/needy, customer comes up to you and demands your attention, how would you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brookfield, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at REI (Brookfield, WI) in March 2015.

Interview

After a phone screening, I was invited to a group interview with about 20 others. We learned about the company itself, then broke into groups and went to 4 stations for different tasks that we were evaluated on.

Interview Questions

• How would you sell this product?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Tustin, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Tustin, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

They called me on the phone for an interview. They asked me what I knew about the company and why I wanted to work for REI. Asked me if I would be available for a week of training. At end of conversation invited me to come the following week for a group interview.

Interview Questions

• The group interview was a good experience, as I have not participated in one prior. They divided the group of 25 into 5 smaller groups. They asked us to show them what customer service looks like. Basically you have 10 minutes to come up with a skit of some sort.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buford, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at REI (Buford, GA) in March 2015.

Interview

REI does group interviews initially for all job openings.There are group exercises and questions related more to finding a fit within the company as a whole rather than any specific job. This process is very informal. Dress was quite casual with applicants who DID dress more formally encouraged not to do so in the future. After the initial group interview, applicants were selected for a second interview or given a job offer. This process was done in the following days after the group interview. Length of process depends on the store and the positions available. Since the group interview can have over 30 people in it, the time between submitting an application or resume and having the interview can be long or short depending on when that gets done. The process after the interview actually is pretty quick. I had submitted my application and resume on Thursday evening, received an email on Friday inviting me to the group interview on Monday, After attending the group interview we were told it would be a week and that they would call applicants they were interested in for a second interview. Instead, I was called the next day with a job offer. I admit, my situation is not typical as I happened to get lucky with the timing.

Interview Questions

• What does good customer service include? ( group question - divided in groups and gave answers as a group)   1 Answer

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arcadia, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at REI (Arcadia, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

submit resume online and got a phone interview. was given a link to an detailed online application and schedule in-person interview the following week. the 1 to 1 interview was conducted on site

Interview Questions

• standard interview questions. why REI, biggest challenge faced.   Answer Question

Accounts Payable Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at REI (Kent, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

This was pretty standard interview. They take you on a tour of the office sit you down in a room ask you questions straight forward. They ask you the typical interview questions. You meet with the HR rep before the interview then 2 ladies came and interviewed me. I t was relaxed atmosphere. Obviously did not do well enough to get the job but oh well.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for our company or what interest you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Boulder, CO) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Was called within a week of applying and interviewed for about 10 minutes before scheduling an in-person interview. I was interviewed by two sales managers during the first interview which was pretty relaxed. They mostly just wanted to know about my experience and my ability to handle customers. The next day, I was called and another interview was scheduled with the hiring manager and another sales manager. This interview was even more relaxed, and the manager asked similar questions as well as asked about my life outside of work. I was offered a position two days after the second interview.

Interview Questions

• Mostly about handling customers, team philosophy, and personal experience in the outdoors. There were no particularly hard questions.   Answer Question