REI

Relevance Date Difficulty

Frontline Associate Interview

Frontline Associate
Santa Ana, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at REI in August 2010.

Interview Details – First is a telephone interview then two group interviews. Last interview they asked us to give a mini presentation and sell a product; may or may not get to choose what type.

Negotiation Details – No

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at REI.

Interview Details – You get a phone interview if your resume is selected by a hiring committee. If you pass the phone interview, you get invited to a group interview. The group interview puts you through exercises that tests your personal/group skills, personality, and leadership skills.
The people that seem to get hired most are laid back, and friendly. Just about anyone can get hired as a cashier, you don't need outdoor experience for that.

Interview Question – None. It's easy to get hired here, just don't expect a whole lot after you get hired, and you will be happy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There are no negotiations in retail at this level.

Manager Interview

Manager

Interviewed at REI

Interview Details – First interview was very informal and more like a screening. The interviewer asked very basic questions about general background.
Second interview was also very informal, more like a conversation. General and broad questions rather than specifics.

Interview Question – Gave me a practical issue he is dealing with and asked me what ideas I have about this.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Web Developer Interview

Web Developer
Herndon, VA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at REI.

Interview Details – Quick easy process.

Interview Question – How did you manage another person's shortcomings on the project?   Answer Question

Sales Specialist Interview

Sales Specialist
Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at REI.

Interview Details – group interview

Interview Question – be honest and get along with peers in group   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at REI.

Interview Details – the first round interview is a room with a hundred or so people. They give you basic job info and then you have a quick (5 minutes or less) one on one interview with basic questions. they include an example of helping multiple customers, providing customer service, etc. then you get into the second round interview process. they take groups of 6+ people in one room and have you answer questions one after another. Then they have you do role playing with one another, etc while the managers take notes. The focus is obviously on being able to help multiple customers simultaneously and providing great service.

Interview Question – why do you want to work at REI? -don't say you like the outdoors or that you have been a customer forever. those people were not hired.   Answer Question

Seasonal Contact Center Representative Interview

Seasonal Contact Center Representative
Sumner, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at REI.

Interview Details – Phone interview at first after submitting the initial application. Pretty standard job interview questions. The person I spoke was friendly and professional. I got called back for a group interview. It was an interesting experience. It was my first group interview as well. We introduced ourselves and did some group work. The group work basically asked some general questions dealing with the job and scenarios. It was easy and must less stressful than a regular interview. I would advise being very active in this process as I think it helped me get the job.

Interview Question – Nothing hard, very generic customer service based questions. Some brain storming in the groups which helps keep the spotlight off any one person for any length of time.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. You got what they offered.

Supervisor Interview

Supervisor
Saratoga, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at REI in January 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was entirely over the phone. I never met the store manager or even saw the store before my first day of work. Who does that??? Warning flags from day 1!

Interview Question – Name a challenge you have overcome.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None. There was no negotiation. Take it or leave it. They have 10 other people they would offer the job to, so they don't care if you want different terms.

Call Center Representative Interview

Call Center Representative
Sumner, WA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at REI in November 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process is long and your seasonal gig is really an extended interview.

Interview Question – Sorry, no difficult questions.   Answer Question

Information Technology Interview

Information Technology
Kent, WA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at REI in January 2011.

Interview Details – Very standard, but not standardized. Come to the office a few times. Spend hours talking to different groups of people.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions. No tricks or games.   Answer Question