REI

2.5

Sales Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellingham, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellingham, WA

I applied online – interviewed at REI.

Phone interview which was a very basic screening type interview. He asked about my previous work history and why I wanted to work at REI.

The interviewer asked to set up an in-person interview with himself and another manager right away.

The two that interviewed me seemed very uninterested and distracted upon meeting them.

Questions were read from a piece of paper and the whole process seemed rushed. Only one question about previous work experience. Neither of the interviewers even looked at my resumé. Mostly situational type questions about how you would handle certain situations on the sales floor. All of the questions were very basic for this type of interview so nothing caught me off guard. The majority of the interview was spent by them talking about the position and about their own careers at REI.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a problem that you have faced and what was your solution. Also talk about how you implemented this solution.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at REI.

If you are being referred by a friend, DO NOT apply until they send you an email invitation to apply or you wont' be considered a referral. Being a referral is good for you and them, so follow the invitation to apply email, and don't get in REI's database first. You'll be contacted by phone and invited to a group interview. The group interviews have lots of applicants (maybe 30) and lots of interviewers (maybe 10). They're fun and silly, and REI is looking to see your personality and communication style. Dress in clean, well maintained casual or outdoorsy clothing.

Interview Questions
    • "If you were a piece of outdoor gear, what would you be and why?"
      OR "Sell me this pencil."

View Answer
    They offered me a wage. I said I was sorry, and I really wanted to work there, but I was worth more money to REI than that. They'd still find me a great value at a dollar more, and it would be unwise of me to give them my abilities for less. They met my request.

Product Specialist Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at REI in May 2014.

Group interview beginning with introducing yourself. You group up and present a product. You group up again to present best and worst customer service experiences. The Store management observes you interacting with the group and how you present yourself.

Sales Associate Interview

I only had one other interview experance which was on the spot hiring. REI had two group interviews in my option sort of awakrd.

Interview Questions
    • They had us stand up in the group and sell some things which I didn't even know.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at REI.

Candidate-group interview. Informal. Small groups are given problem statements and the group's work is observed.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a difficult customer who was very demanding?   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at REI in April 2014.

I applied on Sunday and was contacted by the recruiting team on Wednesday to schedule a group interview. I was very impressed with how efficient and detailed the recruitment was throughout the whole process. Emails included required training dates and specific instructions. They even sent multiple reminder emails for the group interview! In short, very organized, efficient and friendly. The group interview was also a very fun experience, and made it clear they were looking for team players, so stand out, but don't necessarily take over. They really took the time to describe the company's values and details of the position. I was also impressed by how well everyone on the team got along at all levels, and they definitely showed they liked to conduct these interviews (that they were learning from us as well). (Store Manager, Sales Manager, Administrative Specialist and sales associate) After a round robin of "get to know you" questions, the 20-25 of us were split into small groups to work on the group exercises, which were the "questions" of the interview, while members of the team circulated to listen in and take notes. Have not yet heard back, but I hope to; clearly a phenonmenal place to work..

Interview Questions
    • You haven't gone to lunch yet, but you are helping a customer in the store, there is another customer on the phone, and a line is building at the cashwrap. What do you do to make sure everyone gets exceptional customer service? (Oh yeah, and you don't have the option of enlisting the help of your co-workers or managers; they are busy too.)   View Answer

Frontline Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at REI in April 2014.

Applied for an HQ job but got an invitation to a group hiring event instead at the Flagship Seattle store. These events are held with large groups of people (mine was about 125) and each person is paired with an employee for a 15 minute screening interview. If you get through that, you may be invited back to talk more in depth with another employee on a different date. The process is fast and efficient. Most people were dressed very casually in keeping with the REI culture. Although the process is fairly low-stress, REI has high expectations of its employees and they are definitely looking for outdoor saavy people, often extroverts with a diverse background and many interests, outdoors and otherwise, regardless of position.

Interview Questions
    • While I don't recall a specifically difficult question, you must fill out a form upon arrival in which you detail your level of experience with certain activities and equipment. This can be a challenge for those new to the outdoors or those who are only casually involved in outdoor activities.   Answer Question
    There was no opportunity for negotiation. The salary is what is offered.

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northridge, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northridge, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at REI in April 2014.

I was pretty nervous at first but it really wasn't bad at all. It was actually fun. You'll be around a bunch of people maybe 20-30 who are all in the same boat as you. My only advice would be to show passion. Doesn't even have to be in the outdoors. But you must show passion or you will never get hired. Just make sure they know that here's something out there you love, but preferably in the outdoors,

Interview Questions
    • You have to sella product towards to end. But still, no worries, you have time to think and plan.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at REI in April 2014.

It took one full year to be asked to interview. Then there was a Sunday interview, and we were told it had to be that day only. It was a group interview of about 25 people, and half were hired. A few days later, I got a call asking if I wanted the job.

Interview Questions
    • No hard questions. Basically the hardest part was standing in front of everyone else and saying why you wanted to work there.   Answer Question
    We were all told up-front what the salary was and that they could not guarantee keeping anyone past the summer temp job needs.

Sales Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at REI.

Phone interview and was invited to group interview soon after.

Hourly pay was announced to the hire group. No negotiation.