REI Interview Questions

Updated Jul 2, 2015

2.5

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at REI (Saint Louis, MO) in October 2014.

Interview

Started with an open house on Saturday with groups of five in ten minute sessions sat down with a manager and sales lead though group Q & A session. All applicants were called back with a yes or no. If yes you were invited back to a second smaller group interview with two others and a store manager with more in depth questions.

Interview Questions

• What have you done on days when your going into work and you know it's going to be a busy/crazy day? Where there things that helped you get through the day?   Answer Question
    • What is a trip that you would like to go on or would go on again?   1 Answer
    • What is your familiarity with the sports and activities we sell gear for?   Answer Question
    • How comfortable are you with the co-op set-up that R.E.I. has and are you comfortable discussing that with customers?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations and the starting salary was firm

Retail Sales Specialist-Overland Park, KS Interview

Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at REI (Overland Park, KS) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied online. Recieved a call for a group interview with 2 days notice. Was unable to make interview due to being out of town but was told I would be able to interview as soon as I came back to town. Called to schedule interview as soon as I returned, 4 days later. Unable to contact hiring manager. Continued to attempt to contact manager by phone once a week for 5 weeks and finally recieved a call after asking a friend who works there to have manager call me. Interviewed in person a week and a half later with hiring manager and store manager. When hiring manager brought me into interview room, store manager was on the phone. Once she was off the phone, the hiring manager asked her to join us. Store manager was caught off-guard and said that she was unaware of an interview today. Interview took about an hour. Thought it went well. Heard nothing for 2 1/2 weeks so I called store. Managers do not have voicemail so sales associate took note (again) saying manager was not present. Received a generic rejection letter through email about 5 minutes after hanging up the phone.

Interview Questions

• Senario: You are working with a customer when an impatient/demanding customer tries to but in. How do you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at REI (Kent, WA).

Interview

I had a great interview with the hiring manager. He then had me do a phone screen with the lead dev. to be sure it was a good fit. The woman gave me a bad review and said I did not answer the questions fully. She had a very thick accent and did not seem to understand some of my responses. When I asked her to rephrase or repeat a question, she seemed annoyed. I attempted to ask a few questions at the end of the interview and she said, "this interview is over, I do not have time to answer your questions, I am the one to ask questions." Honestly, I have no idea what goes on over there, maybe the manager was on vacation. This lady clearly didn't get how interviews work, that it's a 2 way street. Despite the great rapport with the manager, knowing I would have to deal with this lady on a daily basis made this an easy choice for me. I just can't imagine why they would have someone like this as part of the screening process. I learned nothing more about the job or company from her. It was just a very odd experience.

Interview Questions

• None, the person seemed like she was interviewing me for the wrong job.   Answer Question

I had so much trouble on the phone with the lead dev, I could not imagine having to work with her on a daily basis. I told the hiring manager my reason. It's too bad, as it seemed like it would have been a good opportunity, but it was not worth 40+ hours of dealing with that lady.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD

Application

I applied online – interviewed at REI (College Park, MD).

Interview

Group Interview: Very relaxed, snappy casual attire was appropriate. There were about 20 people in my group, 11 ended up hired. We started with a powerpoint introducing us to the company, then had a few minutes to get to know a neighbor and introduce them to the group. They broke us up into 4 smaller groups for a few activities, ie. sell this [insert product of our choosing] as a group and present to everyone what you think makes up excellent customer service. Really they are just seeking out relaxed, fun, outdoorsy people to join their team. It's all about the company culture with REI!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Sales Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eugene, OR

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at REI (Eugene, OR) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online for this position when I saw an opening. I did not hear anything from REI until a few days later, and not until after I had gone into the store with my resume to introduce myself. I met a sales manager there, and he said they would give me a call, maybe the following week. The store manager called me within two hours of my visit to complete a phone interview, and scheduled an in-person interview right away. My in-person interview was with two managers, not in a group setting. The interview was pretty easy and conversational, and the managers were both very pleasant. They asked a lot of questions off of an interview form of sorts, but most of their questions ended up being follow-up questions to my answers. They advised they were wrapping up interviews that day, and that I would likely hear from them by the end of the week. I got a call two days later with a job offer.

Interview Questions

• Sell me an REI membership.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The first thing mentioned in both interviews was the starting pay. I suspect this is because of the retail environment, in which many corporate stores do not have the flexibility to negotiate. As such, I did not negotiate and I find the starting pay (along with benefits) to be quite satisfactory.

Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at REI (Englewood, CO) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online and got a call about 3 days later (I applied over labor day weekend, and was called the day after labor day). During the phone call, they asked some basic qualifying questions like availibility on a weekly basis, availibility for training, discussed postitions and pay and then set up an in-person interview.

The interview happened about 9 days later because of my availibility. The interview was pretty easy, I was interviewed by two people (one was training to be a manager), they asked questions like do you have experiance working in a team and if so please explain, tell us about a time you had to calm down an angry customer and what was the end result. Then, they asked basic questions about the REI memberships, and continued on about placement in store (cashier, Action Sports, stocking, etc.)

Then about 6 days later, I got a call from them but missed it because I was in class and they left a message saying something about try to call back before 5 but if not we will call you next week, so I thought I got it. When I got ahold of them they told me that my availibilty was the only thing keeping me from getting hired, but that they would like to keep in touch if they have other openings down the road. They even offered to be a reference for me if I applied to a different REI, which I thought was super respectable.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had to calm down an angry customer and if so, how did it end?   1 Answer

Sales Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at REI in September 2014.

Interview

Applied for open positions via rei.com in the Chicago area. Received a call from a Sales Manager at the Lincoln Park location--the manager who is the supervisor of the department I now work in. The initial phone interview went well, including standard questions ranging from details about my past experience and my ideas about good customer service. We also discussed my hobbies and interests and I was given an opportunity to ask preliminary questions about the position and the company.

I was told then on the phone during this conversation that I was invited to a hiring seminar. Two weeks later, this seminar took place. It was essentially a group interview (a group of roughly 12 individuals) that included presentations by the store's management team, including the Store Manager, followed by 15-20 minute individual interviews with another Sales Manager and a Sales Lead. This individual interview was comfortable and straightforward and I felt that I was given ample opportunity to learn about the store and the company.

Less than a week later, I received a phone call from the manager with whom I had originally spoken on the phone and was informed that I was a new REI employee and would begin less than two weeks hence. A very positive experience from beginning to end.

Interview Questions

• What's the one piece of gear you can't leave the house without?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very little negotiation at this phase.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Interview

I went into the downtown Seattle location and asked if they were hiring and they said yes and also informed me that there were regular interview sessions weekly. This was a group interview and all I had to do was show up at one of the weekly sessions. There was no internet application to fill out. When I showed up to the interview, there were easily 100 people there in their big conference room. There was a general introduction where each person was asked to stand and tell everyone their name and one interesting fact about yourself that you think others might find interesting or unique. Then, we broke into groups and were given the assignment to find the best way to sell an item to a customer. After having been given some time to think about how to do that, each group did a role play in front of the rest of the other interviewees. It was actually a pretty fun experience. Then, a manager came around to each of the groups to talk to us and take notes about us.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult and unexpected task was getting up and speaking and role-playing in front of the rest of the interviewees, but all of the other people were very nice and positive and it made the experience fun despite that little bit of anxiety and awkwardness. I didn't really know what one interesting thing to say about myself when it came my turn to do so, but I did find something   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at REI.

Interview

I filled out an application online and thought I was applying for a specific job, but when I stopped into the store to inquire about positions, management said they were always looking for general help. I said I filled out an application online and handed them a printed resume. I was e-mailed a link to an additional application and then scheduled for an interview within a few days. It was a fairly quick process.

Sales Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at REI.

Interview

Definitely the weirdest interview I've ever been to. I got an invitation to what I thought was an information session with an interview afterwards, only to find it was in fact a "group interview". Haven't done one of these before? Here's a quick overview: you sit theater-style and watch a Powerpoint on the company. The chairs are moved and everyone is broken into groups. Each group/pair is asked a series of questions regarding sales, customer service, etc. while the store management observes. I can't really get across how awkward and uncomfortable this is. The supervisors/managers circle you like sharks with notepads and exchange hushed conversations about......who knows what (your teeth? that shirt you wore? the way you talked up a tent?). The whole thing took probably two hours but felt like at least eight.

Interview Questions

• "Think of your ideal piece of camping gear and try to sell it to your partner."   Answer Question