REI

Updated Dec 2, 2014
Updated Dec 2, 2014

2.5

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at REI.

You get a phone interview if your resume is selected by a hiring committee. If you pass the phone interview, you get invited to a group interview. The group interview puts you through exercises that tests your personal/group skills, personality, and leadership skills.
    The people that seem to get hired most are laid back, and friendly. Just about anyone can get hired as a cashier, you don't need outdoor experience for that.

Interview Questions
    • None. It's easy to get hired here, just don't expect a whole lot after you get hired, and you will be happy.   Answer Question
    There are no negotiations in retail at this level.

Manager Interview

First interview was very informal and more like a screening. The interviewer asked very basic questions about general background.
    Second interview was also very informal, more like a conversation. General and broad questions rather than specifics.

Interview Questions
    • Gave me a practical issue he is dealing with and asked me what ideas I have about this.   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at REI.

Quick easy process.

Interview Questions
    • How did you manage another person's shortcomings on the project?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chula Vista, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chula Vista, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at REI in February 2014.

I applied online, then printed out my resume with a letter of recommendation from an old teach and turned them into the store in person. My resume was as unique as possible to make it stand out, it included pictures of different backpacking trips and summit climbs and went into detail on my small business that I own(its sole purpose is to build my portfolio, not an income). I knew a lot of the things on my resume seemed like a lie(it isn't every day you meet a 19 year old who runs a small production business). The managers I met in person I believer were Jordan and Danny(both great guys). Knew one of them from making frequent visits to the store in the past. I got a good vibe from them and a week later I was called into an interview. It was a group interview, there were about 30-40 people who showed up which was a bit nerve racking sense i knew they had also held another group interview just the Sunday before which meant all of us were competing for one opening. The managers however did a great job on the introduction and soon I wasn't nervous at all. The interview was a very very very fun experience, great people, great conversations. With out a doubt the best interview I have ever been to. I can now see why(when conducted properly) a group interview can be more beneficial to both the candidates and employer. I was extremely confident though out the interview, it didn't take long for me to realize no one there hand the kind of experience I did with the gear REI sells. I was able to prove it in one of the exercises when I went into detail about the differences between down(goose or duck) and synthetics(continuous, or short staple) sleeping bags and how the stitching(box baffles, sown through, shingled, or quilted) was also a factor to think about. I even went further to explain the UN temp rating and the Unit of fill power. I saw my opportunity to show off my knowledge of the gear so I took and could tell the other candidates weren't to happy about that. lol. After the interview I continued to visit the store frequently because I was preparing for a backpacking trip to Kings canyon to produce some 4k HDR timelapses for my small business to sell as stock footage. Because of this I saw many of the managers frequently after the interview and held conversations with them. As always I got a great vibe from them and also got to know them a little more as people rather then potential future managers of mine I was trying to suck up to. I was almost certain I would get the job. However 2 weeks after the interview(that would be today, feb 28) one of the managers gave me a call to inform me they had chosen a different candidate. I was quit shocked but not mad or disappointed. I had gotten to know some of the managers(really great people) so what ever their reasoning was for not picking me, I trusted it and didn't take it personally. In the end I think my down fall was my age, despite being way over qualified for the job(and having turned 20 during the 2 weeks after the interview), I believe the managers knew that someone wouldn't want to take advice on how to pack their bag, which tents to buy, and what sleeping bags they probably needed from someone who looked like a kid(Im a small guy, I am 20 but look 16). So I imagine the candidate they chose was an older(mid or late 20s) person who also had more retail experience, which seems to be a habit of theirs. If you go into the store no employe looks like their younger than 24, and if you start asking them questions you can easily tell they only know specs and have very limited field experience with the equipment(except for the climb at bike guys). But I cant blame them for that, this is REI in the middle of San Diego, no one is going to walk into the store(other than me maybe) asking weather if they knew the nova caps were interchangeable and had the same thread count as MSR fuel caps, or if the water resistant down effected the fill power rating on that 0 degree sleeping bag(all questions I have personally asked... its easy to lose those fuel camps man!!) I plan on apply again in the future, but thats only if the Adventure 16 outdoor store doesn't take me. If they do then to bad REI, you missed out.

Interview Questions
    • What are three words that describe you? How would you sell memberships?   Answer Question

Hardgoods Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairbanks, AK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairbanks, AK

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at REI in February 2014.

The online job application for this was pretty straightforward. (although I accidentally applied for the wrong position the first time. The manager called me and instructed me on how to fix it.) I got called back later and scheduled for a group interview. The interview was very fun and interactive. It started out with meeting a couple of the managers and then watching a slideshow presentation on the company. We then went around (there were 10-12 people) introducing ourselves and stating why we wanted to work at REI. After that we split into smaller groups - one station was a discussion on what customer service means to us, another had us talking about the REI motto and which parts of it were most and least important, and yet another station was where we had to pick random items from a table and "sell" them to another person. I grabbed a flashlight and talked about it. When I was playing the "customer" a guy grabbed a rolled up hammock but actually had no clue what it was, but he just went with it when I said I wanted to buy a hammock. (He got hired as a cashier.) They just want to see how you interact with people.
    I wore just nice pants and a sweater. Some people showed up looking very unprofessional (t-shirts, sweatshirts, jeans) and if I remember correctly most of them were not the ones who were hired. I remember one guy who had never been to an REI, didn't know what it was, and just wanted a job for the sake of having a job. He is an example of who was NOT hired. The managers just want to see a passionate person with an interest in the company. They want people who WANT to work at REI, not just someone who needs any old job. Since I was in the group of employees hired for a new store that was opening, 40-50 of us total were hired from the several different group interviews that were done.

Interview Questions
    • When 12 people in a row have to answer "why do you want to work at REI?", you'd better come up with something original.   View Answer
    No negotiation

Sales Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at REI.

group interview

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at REI.

the first round interview is a room with a hundred or so people. They give you basic job info and then you have a quick (5 minutes or less) one on one interview with basic questions. they include an example of helping multiple customers, providing customer service, etc. then you get into the second round interview process. they take groups of 6+ people in one room and have you answer questions one after another. Then they have you do role playing with one another, etc while the managers take notes. The focus is obviously on being able to help multiple customers simultaneously and providing great service.

Interview Questions
    • why do you want to work at REI? -don't say you like the outdoors or that you have been a customer forever. those people were not hired.   Answer Question

Sales Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at REI in February 2014.

Did application online and got call back 2 days later. Interview was One-On-One and was fairly simple and sat outside for interview with nice lady. Questions were fairly simple. Interviewer said she would set me up for second interview but he wanted to meet me right away so I had my second interview same day 5 minutes later. He was really nice and said he liked me. He even had Awesome Tattoos. we discussed some basic products and both agreed we didn't like Bare-footers and it was set! Told me I got the job and set me Up for training. May 2nd 2014. Start off pay $10.00

Interview Questions
    • What Was the last product you bought here?   View Answer
    He Told me they start off at $10.00 . No negotiation.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at REI in January 2014.

Odd experience. Clearly culture is above all, which is fine, but interviewers each asked personal questions about my "lifestyle" and what I like to do outdoors under the guise of assessing culture fit. Seemed inappropriate. Workplace was described as democratic, slow paced, and focused on culture rather than results. Some situational questions but mainly hypotheticals ("how would you solve for...?").

Interview Questions
    • People here tend to take care of themselves. Like, eating well and active lifestyles. Not everyone does, but most do. What do you do outdoors?   Answer Question

Seasonal Contact Center Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sumner, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sumner, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at REI.

Phone interview at first after submitting the initial application. Pretty standard job interview questions. The person I spoke was friendly and professional. I got called back for a group interview. It was an interesting experience. It was my first group interview as well. We introduced ourselves and did some group work. The group work basically asked some general questions dealing with the job and scenarios. It was easy and must less stressful than a regular interview. I would advise being very active in this process as I think it helped me get the job.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing hard, very generic customer service based questions. Some brain storming in the groups which helps keep the spotlight off any one person for any length of time.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. You got what they offered.