REI

122 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at REI.

Interview Details – Very pleasant. Questions seemed aimed at determining my personality rather than my abilities.

Interview Question – The usual; "what was one of your most difficult situations at your last employer and how did you handle it?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, either a yes or no.

Madison, WI

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at REI in September 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and was contacted and given a short phone interview (why do you want to work for REI?, what is your availability?) less than a week later. At the conclusion of the phone interview, I was asked to come in for a group interview.

At the group interview there were 14 people being interviewed (for about 7 positions) by the store manager and about 8 of her employees. There was a presentation about REI, then we had to introduce ourselves and say why we wanted to work at REI. We were put into groups to answer "What is good customer service?" and "What does REI's slogan mean to you?" Then we paired off and had to sell our partner a water bottle.

During these questions, the manager and her employees walked around with clipboards making notes about each one of us.

Two men dressed business casual, myself included. Two women dressed business casual. The other 10 were wearing casual clothes. Better safe than sorry when it comes to dressing for an interview, in my humble opinion.

Just remember to be as outgoing and positive as possible. Smile! Also, keep in mind that REI wants to educate its customers, so use personal experience to educate and inform when selling the water bottle. Make sure you know something about REI and the products they sell.

Negotiation Details – none. Part-time seasonal. On the plus side, most management started in PT seasonal.

Very Easy Interview

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Fresno, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at REI in August 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and got called in for an in-person interview. Met with two supervisors for the interview. Very easy customer service based questions, nothing at all out of the ordinary. Was called back a few days later for a second interview with one of the sake supervisors and a second new one. Same thing for this one as well.

They are now doing group interviews at this location instead.

Interview Question – Nothing challenging at all; explain a time where a customer was irritated and what you did to make them happy, etc.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Tustin, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at REI in August 2011.

Interview Details – They first called to do a telephone screening. After that I went to the store for a group interview. There were 400 people divided up into 40 groups. We had to answer questions and interact with each other.

Interview Question – We were given a scenario, which was for me to sell a purple, woman's shirt to a guy.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations.

Sales Associate
Saratoga, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at REI.

Interview Details – applied online through email and heard back from them in about a week. There are no applications in-store from what I have seen.

Interview Question – if you had multiple things to do at once how would you handle them   Answer Question

Interviewed at REI

Interview Details – Application online via rei.com/jobs. Next step was a 20 minute phone screening interview. Asking about retail experience, my availability for work, customer service focus. This was followed by an interactive group interview of approximately two hours. Very informative as to the company. All dates and expectations were clearly defined. Was an enjoyable experience, showcasing the high caliber of all applicants.

Interview Question – I did not expect to be paired up with other applicants for activities, but was very enjoyable for a job interview.   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at REI in June 2009.

Interview Details – In person application. I walked in during a hiring period (beginning of the summer) and filled out an application. They had a hiring meeting going on where people were asked to take part in a big conference room. It was very laid back and informative. Was interviewed in person by a manager and hired a few days later.

Interview Question – How would you handle a difficult customer; How would you handle conflict among your peers.   Answer Question

Encinitas, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at REI in March 2009.

Interview Details – Attended a job fair for when the store was very new. Informal interview process, was given a random item from the floor and asked to sell it to the interviewers (one manager, one full-time employee), I got a pair of socks. Asked basic questions about where my passions in the outdoors lie. Few days later, got a call saying I was hired.

Interview Question – There really wasn't anything that was too unexpected, other than having to sell a random item then and there. They want to make sure your values match those of the company, so learn what REI is all about, and be prepared with what you like to do outdoors.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Wasn't really able to negotiate, as this was my first real job.

Interviewed at REI

Interview Details – REI wants to hire employees who have a strong customer focus. They want people who are committed to offering exceptional customer service, not people who work at REI "for the deals." Make sure all your answers are in line with this vision.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you failed at a job in the past and how you learned from it.   Answer Question

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Customer Service Specialist
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at REI in October 2011.

Interview Details – Group Interview

Interview Question – Nothing was unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Everyone is paid the same starting out. So no negotiations went on.

Interviews for Top Jobs at REI