REI Interview Questions

Updated Aug 2, 2015

2.5

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at REI.

Interview

I filled out an application online and thought I was applying for a specific job, but when I stopped into the store to inquire about positions, management said they were always looking for general help. I said I filled out an application online and handed them a printed resume. I was e-mailed a link to an additional application and then scheduled for an interview within a few days. It was a fairly quick process.

Sales Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at REI.

Interview

Definitely the weirdest interview I've ever been to. I got an invitation to what I thought was an information session with an interview afterwards, only to find it was in fact a "group interview". Haven't done one of these before? Here's a quick overview: you sit theater-style and watch a Powerpoint on the company. The chairs are moved and everyone is broken into groups. Each group/pair is asked a series of questions regarding sales, customer service, etc. while the store management observes. I can't really get across how awkward and uncomfortable this is. The supervisors/managers circle you like sharks with notepads and exchange hushed conversations about......who knows what (your teeth? that shirt you wore? the way you talked up a tent?). The whole thing took probably two hours but felt like at least eight.

Interview Questions

• "Think of your ideal piece of camping gear and try to sell it to your partner."   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at REI.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and had a half hour phone interview with her. A few weeks later, I had a phone interview with the store manager. This is for a new store and I never met the store manager.

Interview Questions

• The store manager asked what I do with my time off.   1 Answer

Sales Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at REI (San Jose, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

The interviewing process was not arduous at all. It was with a manager and a sales lead. They wanted to know how I dealt with difficult situations. They also began to brief me on the perks of working there. They wanted to get a sense of how I think too. So they threw in a few curve balls, but nothing too insane.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There were no negotiations.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Huntington Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at REI (Huntington Beach, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

Apply on line, group interview and unwilling to accommodate stutters like myself as group interviews can greatly put us at a disadvantage. Unwillingness to work with me to accommodate for my stutter makes me question to even support them as company after being a long time customer and member from my experience especially as they have a competitor directly across the street from them.

Interview Questions

• As a stutter the whole interview because it was a group interview. When asked if possible to have a 1 on 1 interview to accommodate for my stutter I was told it was not an option.   1 Answer

Sales Specialist - Soft Goods Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at REI (Austin, TX) in August 2014.

Interview

The whole hiring and interview process is very laid back, much like the company itself. I applied through the website by dropping a resume and answering a few questions about my availability. They were currently hiring at the time so I was contacted the next day over the phone for a brief phone interview. As I recall, they just asked basic questions about my availability, what area of the store interested me most, whether I personally shopped at REI, etc. I doubt anyone was weeded out at this stage. They offered me a chance to come the next week for a group interview. The group interview was not like a typical one where you have to compete with each other for speaking time - overall it felt more like a focus group. We sat in a circle and for the first question we just went around the room introducing ourselves, explaining what aspect of the outdoors interested us, and whether or not we had any previous experience in the industry (either in retail sales or otherwise in the outdoor industry). Then we paired up with the person next to us and had to pick an item to sell to our partner (and vice versa). After taking turns doing that, we got back together in the circle and we had to take turns selling our *partner's* item to the rest of the group (i.e., you had to have paid attention to details, even if you had no idea what the gear did prior to them selling it to you). Next, we broke off into 3 groups of about 4 people and went to separate rooms. The interviewer then asked the group as a whole several questions, but with only a few other people in the room it wasn't a challenge to get speaking time. I think they asked something like "What does good service look like to you?" and "How would you describe the experience of shopping at REI?". Finally they gave each of us a scenario to work through, all of which were pretty simple. It would be something like "You're helping someone pick out a tent, but you see someone looking for help in the department next to yours, and you just got paged about a phone call on line 1. What do you do?" (If you can't come up with something to say to that, don't work in retail...) This took place on a Wednesday and as I recall they called us the next Friday with our results.

Interview Questions

• All pretty typical questions - the only surprising one was when we had to sell a product that someone else had just sold to us. Requires you to focus quite a bit, as the item they sold you may be something you previously knew nothing about.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They told us the offer was for 10 an hour, and I didn't attempt to negotiate. There were way more experienced people hired alongside me, so I didn't feel that I had any bargaining power.

Sales Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellingham, WA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at REI (Bellingham, WA).

Interview

Phone interview which was a very basic screening type interview. He asked about my previous work history and why I wanted to work at REI. The interviewer asked to set up an in-person interview with himself and another manager right away. The two that interviewed me seemed very uninterested and distracted upon meeting them. Questions were read from a piece of paper and the whole process seemed rushed. Only one question about previous work experience. Neither of the interviewers even looked at my resumé. Mostly situational type questions about how you would handle certain situations on the sales floor. All of the questions were very basic for this type of interview so nothing caught me off guard. The majority of the interview was spent by them talking about the position and about their own careers at REI.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a problem that you have faced and what was your solution. Also talk about how you implemented this solution.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at REI (Arlington, VA) in June 2014.

Interview

Applied online and heard back a few days later. The interview staff were very friendly and welcoming. A phone interview took place initially with questions like why do you want to work at REI? What interests you about the outdoors? After the phone interview, an in person interview took place with more in depth questions. All of the staff appeared friendly and the environment seemed non intimidating. The interview process was a great first impression of the company.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at REI.

Interview

If you are being referred by a friend, DO NOT apply until they send you an email invitation to apply or you wont' be considered a referral. Being a referral is good for you and them, so follow the invitation to apply email, and don't get in REI's database first. You'll be contacted by phone and invited to a group interview. The group interviews have lots of applicants (maybe 30) and lots of interviewers (maybe 10). They're fun and silly, and REI is looking to see your personality and communication style. Dress in clean, well maintained casual or outdoorsy clothing.

Interview Questions

• "If you were a piece of outdoor gear, what would you be and why?" OR "Sell me this pencil."   1 Answer

Negotiation

They offered me a wage. I said I was sorry, and I really wanted to work there, but I was worth more money to REI than that. They'd still find me a great value at a dollar more, and it would be unwise of me to give them my abilities for less. They met my request.

Product Specialist Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at REI in May 2014.

Interview

Group interview beginning with introducing yourself. You group up and present a product. You group up again to present best and worst customer service experiences. The Store management observes you interacting with the group and how you present yourself.