REI

Updated Dec 2, 2014

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at REI.

Filled out an online application and received a call in two weeks to set up an interview date and time. The interview was with 2 employees, one upper management and the other a senior sales specialist. The interview lasted for about 30 minutes and happened right before the store opened. I then received a call a couple of days later with a job offer.

Interview Questions
    • If you were going on a backpacking trip, which daypack (presented two options) would you bring?   View Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at REI in November 2013.

Recruiting was very nice, definitely had the selling points down--work/life balance being the big one. There was a lot of focus on the "reverse commute" as if that was a good thing; in actuality, the location is simply inconvenient. There is no "easy" way to get to the campus. The interview process was as expected, pretty casual environment, easygoing interview team, predictable behavioral questions, and a couple of weird questions. Interviewers were very casual, and put a huge amount of focus on being on time--almost to the point where it was uncomfortable. I was left in the interview room--alone--for at least a few minutes in between interviews so the interviewer could get to their next meeting. Lots of focus on collaboration and questions about attending meetings, which seems to be a popular use of time based on the interview questions and answers to my questions. Most of the interviewers had something negative to say about my current employer, which was a little uncomfortable as an interviewee; I have no interest in talking trash about my current employer in an interview setting, and the questions/statements came across as unprofessional. I got a good sense of the company and the team and had plenty of time to ask questions of interviewers, which was useful in assessing whether the company would be a good fit for me (it isn't).

Interview Questions
    • "What sort of sports or outdoors activities do you like to do in your spare time?"   Answer Question

Call Center Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sumner, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sumner, WA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at REI in November 2013.

The hiring process is long and your seasonal gig is really an extended interview.

Computer Production Artist Interview

I had a very positive experience interviewing for a position with REI. I was directed to the position on their website by a friend and started the initial process there. I was called in for an interview a week later. The interview was conducted by an HR representative and then I was interviewed by the Art Director. I had to present my portfolio and answer some questions. I also had to take a test using the software that would be used in that position.

Interview Questions
    I felt that the salary offered to me along with the benefits were fair so I didn't need to negotiate. It would certainly be acceptable though to do so.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at REI.

The interview was with a group of about 10 people. The environment was really fun and relaxed. The questions were pretty easy to answer about customer service and why you want to work at REI.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at REI.

Very pleasant. Questions seemed aimed at determining my personality rather than my abilities.

Interview Questions
    • The usual; "what was one of your most difficult situations at your last employer and how did you handle it?"   View Answer
    No negotiation, either a yes or no.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at REI in October 2013.

Interview process was with 2 people, the SM and another sales manager. The interview process was extremely poor, neither one of them could ask an original question as they just read word for word off of a scripted HR sheet. But on the other side of that, it made for answering the questions really easy. Just be detailed in your examples.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time you had to coach a difficult team member.   Answer Question

The pay was not where I wanted it to be for the position and volume of the store. The management seemed unprofessional in the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saratoga, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saratoga, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at REI.

applied online through email and heard back from them in about a week. There are no applications in-store from what I have seen.

Interview Questions
    • if you had multiple things to do at once how would you handle them   Answer Question

Sales Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at REI in September 2013.

Applied online and was contacted and given a short phone interview (why do you want to work for REI?, what is your availability?) less than a week later. At the conclusion of the phone interview, I was asked to come in for a group interview.

At the group interview there were 14 people being interviewed (for about 7 positions) by the store manager and about 8 of her employees. There was a presentation about REI, then we had to introduce ourselves and say why we wanted to work at REI. We were put into groups to answer "What is good customer service?" and "What does REI's slogan mean to you?" Then we paired off and had to sell our partner a water bottle.

During these questions, the manager and her employees walked around with clipboards making notes about each one of us.

Two men dressed business casual, myself included. Two women dressed business casual. The other 10 were wearing casual clothes. Better safe than sorry when it comes to dressing for an interview, in my humble opinion.

Just remember to be as outgoing and positive as possible. Smile! Also, keep in mind that REI wants to educate its customers, so use personal experience to educate and inform when selling the water bottle. Make sure you know something about REI and the products they sell.

none. Part-time seasonal. On the plus side, most management started in PT seasonal.

Sales Specialist Interview

Application online via rei.com/jobs. Next step was a 20 minute phone screening interview. Asking about retail experience, my availability for work, customer service focus. This was followed by an interactive group interview of approximately two hours. Very informative as to the company. All dates and expectations were clearly defined. Was an enjoyable experience, showcasing the high caliber of all applicants.

Interview Questions
    • I did not expect to be paired up with other applicants for activities, but was very enjoyable for a job interview.   Answer Question