REI Interview Questions in Kent, WA

2.4

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at REI.

I had a great interview with the hiring manager. He then had me do a phone screen with the lead dev. to be sure it was a good fit. The woman gave me a bad review and said I did not answer the questions fully. She had a very thick accent and did not seem to understand some of my responses. When I asked her to rephrase or repeat a question, she seemed annoyed. I attempted to ask a few questions at the end of the interview and she said, "this interview is over, I do not have time to answer your questions, I am the one to ask questions." Honestly, I have no idea what goes on over there, maybe the manager was on vacation. This lady clearly didn't get how interviews work, that it's a 2 way street. Despite the great rapport with the manager, knowing I would have to deal with this lady on a daily basis made this an easy choice for me. I just can't imagine why they would have someone like this as part of the screening process. I learned nothing more about the job or company from her. It was just a very odd experience.

Interview Questions
    • None, the person seemed like she was interviewing me for the wrong job.   Answer Question

I had so much trouble on the phone with the lead dev, I could not imagine having to work with her on a daily basis. I told the hiring manager my reason. It's too bad, as it seemed like it would have been a good opportunity, but it was not worth 40+ hours of dealing with that lady.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at REI in January 2014.

Odd experience. Clearly culture is above all, which is fine, but interviewers each asked personal questions about my "lifestyle" and what I like to do outdoors under the guise of assessing culture fit. Seemed inappropriate. Workplace was described as democratic, slow paced, and focused on culture rather than results. Some situational questions but mainly hypotheticals ("how would you solve for...?").

Interview Questions
    • People here tend to take care of themselves. Like, eating well and active lifestyles. Not everyone does, but most do. What do you do outdoors?   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at REI in November 2013.

Recruiting was very nice, definitely had the selling points down--work/life balance being the big one. There was a lot of focus on the "reverse commute" as if that was a good thing; in actuality, the location is simply inconvenient. There is no "easy" way to get to the campus. The interview process was as expected, pretty casual environment, easygoing interview team, predictable behavioral questions, and a couple of weird questions. Interviewers were very casual, and put a huge amount of focus on being on time--almost to the point where it was uncomfortable. I was left in the interview room--alone--for at least a few minutes in between interviews so the interviewer could get to their next meeting. Lots of focus on collaboration and questions about attending meetings, which seems to be a popular use of time based on the interview questions and answers to my questions. Most of the interviewers had something negative to say about my current employer, which was a little uncomfortable as an interviewee; I have no interest in talking trash about my current employer in an interview setting, and the questions/statements came across as unprofessional. I got a good sense of the company and the team and had plenty of time to ask questions of interviewers, which was useful in assessing whether the company would be a good fit for me (it isn't).

Interview Questions
    • "What sort of sports or outdoors activities do you like to do in your spare time?"   Answer Question

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA

I applied online – interviewed at REI in February 2013.

Phone screen interview followed by in-person interview with 3 people

Interview Questions
    • why have you been unemployed for several month   View Answer
    there wasn't really any

Site Merchant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at REI in October 2012.

I applied for the Site Merchant role online through LinkedIn, and was contacted fairly quickly by the REI HR Recruiter. Initial phone screen was informative - she was very forthcoming about the culture, salary, etc and the direct questions I had about the position she was able to research and return to me via email.
    I was scheduled for a half day of interviews shortly thereafter, as I was told they needed to hire for the position quickly and wanted to get their finalists in, interviewed, and a decision made in the next week to 10 days.
    The in-person interviews went well; a very engaging, interesting and diverse group of people obviously passionate about what they do. The campus, though not on any public transpo route, is beautiful.
    I was very interested in the position, and expressed that both in person and in follow up cards to thank them for their time.
    Then I heard.....nothing. I reached back out to the HR Recruiter to see if there were any additional questions or issues I could address, and got no response. Frankly - it was the height of rudeness to not at least contact your finalist candidates and tell them you had moved on with someone else - which obviously I assume they did.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't actually find any of the questions difficult - all were within the job scope - particularly if you have several years of experience.   Answer Question

Recruiting Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at REI in May 2012.

In order to qualify for the interview, I was required to fill out an essay via email. Then, there was a first phone interview with the person responsible for the hire as well as a videoconference interview with the same individual. Both of these experiences were extremely positive (though the essay requirement was a bit unusual). The company flew me in for a one hour panel interview with three HR individuals. Only one of the three panelists had reviewed my profile on LinkedIn in advance. When asked, none of the three read my essay material. This was a bit disconcerting since the essay was detailed and covered extensive detail about the very same questions they were asking me. Their team missed the opportunity to go deeper, create greater engagement, appear invested in my candidacy, and create a positive overall experience based on lack of preparation and seeming lukewarm interest during the interview.

The interview was, in my opinion, way too short based on giving up three days to fly in for the interview. The lack of depth and engagement in the panel interview was extremely disappointing. When the results were provided (I was not going to be hired), the reasons for not hiring me were plastic and superficial. As a result, not only did the organization lose a potentially strong contributor, but they also lost a previously very satisfied store customer.

I have no doubt REI fully deserves the fine reviews it consistently receives for being one of the best places to work. The Director I would have worked under was truly inspirational. Unfortunately, the panel of HR OD and Shared Service professionals came off as very protective of their sandbox and less than inspirational, though they were all very pleasant during the short interview session.

Print Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at REI in January 2012.

They offered the position, I accepted, I quit my existing job, and the day before I was to begin, they withdrew the offer!!! It seems that legally they have no liabilities, since all this happened through a staffing agency.

I was interviewed originally in October 2011 and the job was offered to another candidate. In January I was called by the staffing agency and informed that the hiring manager has asked for me and requests a final phone interview to make an offer for a 4 month long contract. I spoke with the hiring manager and told her that I was on a long term contract with another company, however I would resign and join REI because it was my #1 target employer to work for. My references were checked, REI made the offer and I was supposed to begin on Monday. I resigned from my other position, which BTW did pay more. On Friday prior to start of my contract, at 3: REI contacted the staffing agency claiming that an internal person has put a stop on my hiring and that they are withdrawing the offer.

So, here I am, NO JOB!! Thank you REI for being such a good employer!

Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at REI in January 2011.

Very standard, but not standardized. Come to the office a few times. Spend hours talking to different groups of people.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at REI in February 2010.

Still in process- two phone interviews. They were very professional and well organized. They asked good questions about my background and experince and gave me detailed answers to my questions about the job. My impresssion is that they are smart and capable company and can pick and choose to find the best people.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to manage change on your team.   View Answer