REI Retail Sales Interview Questions

Updated Jun 11, 2015

2.5

Retail Sales Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at REI.

Interview

Easy and care free. The process was very easy and very carefree. The manager was friendly and nice and made the whole process very easy. Typical questions were asked by the manager

Interview Questions

• not really anything. Questions were standard questions regarding retail sales and their products   Answer Question

another opportunity

Other Interview Reviews for REI

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at REI (Sacramento, CA).

Interview

Group Interviews. You have to stand out from the crowd or you will never get hired. Don't just say "what he said." Come up with an original answer.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a few pretty ridiculous questions in my interviews, so be ready for the unexpected. I was asked "how would you weigh a baby elephant if you didn't have a scale big enough for the job?" not joking.   Answer Question

Negotiation

there is no negotiation. you either take what they offer or not.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at REI (Denver, CO) in September 2011.

Interview

I turned in a barebones application that didn't list any of my work or educational experience that didn't connect to retail (which means I didn't list most of my work and educational experience). What I did include was a kickin' cover letter that talked about my lifelong relationship with the outdoors and travel, and how REI has been with me every step of the way. From there, they called and asked me to interview. Before the interview I was asked to complete some online surveys and personality assessment tools. The interview itself was group based with two interviews and about 20 of us in each interview. We were asked to give a brief bio as one stage, and then had two small group activities along with a role play following each. The whole experience was very much in tune with who REI is and it's a fantastic way to find those who will fit well in the REI culture.

Interview Questions

• There was only one that I can recall. It was a multi-part. What is your name, what one outdoor activity are you wanting to start doing, and why do you want to work at REI?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at REI (Santa Clara, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

The interviewer was really nice and laid back but made me feel like i didn't belong there. He definitely didn't think I was the outdoorsman type and made it obvious.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at REI (Atlanta, GA) in January 2011.

Interview

The interview process is relaxed. They are putting less emphasis on your actual knowledge of the outdoors and seem to be hiring more and more for diversity only. All REI employees want diversity in the workplace, but it's frustrating when people are being hired who don't know anything about the outdoors.

Retail Sales Interview

Interview

Phone interview. He said it would take about 15 minutes but we talked for over 30. I was able to ask a lot of questions and he was really friendly. He told me what to expect, which was nice. They want to make sure you will be available for the entire time it takes to open a new store up through the holiday season.