REI

2.2

18 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at REI in October 2014.

Started with an open house on Saturday with groups of five in ten minute sessions sat down with a manager and sales lead though group Q & A session. All applicants were called back with a yes or no. If yes you were invited back to a second smaller group interview with two others and a store manager with more in depth questions.

Interview Questions
  • What have you done on days when your going into work and you know it's going to be a busy/crazy day? Where there things that helped you get through the day?   Answer Question
  • What is a trip that you would like to go on or would go on again?   View Answer
  • What is your familiarity with the sports and activities we sell gear for?   Answer Question
  • How comfortable are you with the co-op set-up that R.E.I. has and are you comfortable discussing that with customers?   Answer Question
No negotiations and the starting salary was firm

Other Interview Reviews for REI

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at REI.

I filled out an application online and thought I was applying for a specific job, but when I stopped into the store to inquire about positions, management said they were always looking for general help. I said I filled out an application online and handed them a printed resume. I was e-mailed a link to an additional application and then scheduled for an interview within a few days. It was a fairly quick process.

Sales Associate Interview

I only had one other interview experance which was on the spot hiring. REI had two group interviews in my option sort of awakrd.

Interview Questions
    • They had us stand up in the group and sell some things which I didn't even know.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

REI often has group interviews with multiple observers. It is important to memorize the mission statement and think about how it applies to sales situations. You have to be extraverted and friendly, but not domineering or aggressive. REI does extremely thorough background checks to ensure that employees are completely honest, because of the potential for theft in the store.

Interview Questions
    • Sell this product (they hand you something you know nothing about).   View Answer
    Salary is not negotiable.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at REI.

You get a phone interview if your resume is selected by a hiring committee. If you pass the phone interview, you get invited to a group interview. The group interview puts you through exercises that tests your personal/group skills, personality, and leadership skills.
    The people that seem to get hired most are laid back, and friendly. Just about anyone can get hired as a cashier, you don't need outdoor experience for that.

Interview Questions
    • None. It's easy to get hired here, just don't expect a whole lot after you get hired, and you will be happy.   Answer Question
    There are no negotiations in retail at this level.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chula Vista, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chula Vista, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at REI in February 2014.

I applied online, then printed out my resume with a letter of recommendation from an old teach and turned them into the store in person. My resume was as unique as possible to make it stand out, it included pictures of different backpacking trips and summit climbs and went into detail on my small business that I own(its sole purpose is to build my portfolio, not an income). I knew a lot of the things on my resume seemed like a lie(it isn't every day you meet a 19 year old who runs a small production business). The managers I met in person I believer were Jordan and Danny(both great guys). Knew one of them from making frequent visits to the store in the past. I got a good vibe from them and a week later I was called into an interview. It was a group interview, there were about 30-40 people who showed up which was a bit nerve racking sense i knew they had also held another group interview just the Sunday before which meant all of us were competing for one opening. The managers however did a great job on the introduction and soon I wasn't nervous at all. The interview was a very very very fun experience, great people, great conversations. With out a doubt the best interview I have ever been to. I can now see why(when conducted properly) a group interview can be more beneficial to both the candidates and employer. I was extremely confident though out the interview, it didn't take long for me to realize no one there hand the kind of experience I did with the gear REI sells. I was able to prove it in one of the exercises when I went into detail about the differences between down(goose or duck) and synthetics(continuous, or short staple) sleeping bags and how the stitching(box baffles, sown through, shingled, or quilted) was also a factor to think about. I even went further to explain the UN temp rating and the Unit of fill power. I saw my opportunity to show off my knowledge of the gear so I took and could tell the other candidates weren't to happy about that. lol. After the interview I continued to visit the store frequently because I was preparing for a backpacking trip to Kings canyon to produce some 4k HDR timelapses for my small business to sell as stock footage. Because of this I saw many of the managers frequently after the interview and held conversations with them. As always I got a great vibe from them and also got to know them a little more as people rather then potential future managers of mine I was trying to suck up to. I was almost certain I would get the job. However 2 weeks after the interview(that would be today, feb 28) one of the managers gave me a call to inform me they had chosen a different candidate. I was quit shocked but not mad or disappointed. I had gotten to know some of the managers(really great people) so what ever their reasoning was for not picking me, I trusted it and didn't take it personally. In the end I think my down fall was my age, despite being way over qualified for the job(and having turned 20 during the 2 weeks after the interview), I believe the managers knew that someone wouldn't want to take advice on how to pack their bag, which tents to buy, and what sleeping bags they probably needed from someone who looked like a kid(Im a small guy, I am 20 but look 16). So I imagine the candidate they chose was an older(mid or late 20s) person who also had more retail experience, which seems to be a habit of theirs. If you go into the store no employe looks like their younger than 24, and if you start asking them questions you can easily tell they only know specs and have very limited field experience with the equipment(except for the climb at bike guys). But I cant blame them for that, this is REI in the middle of San Diego, no one is going to walk into the store(other than me maybe) asking weather if they knew the nova caps were interchangeable and had the same thread count as MSR fuel caps, or if the water resistant down effected the fill power rating on that 0 degree sleeping bag(all questions I have personally asked... its easy to lose those fuel camps man!!) I plan on apply again in the future, but thats only if the Adventure 16 outdoor store doesn't take me. If they do then to bad REI, you missed out.

Interview Questions
    • What are three words that describe you? How would you sell memberships?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at REI.

the first round interview is a room with a hundred or so people. They give you basic job info and then you have a quick (5 minutes or less) one on one interview with basic questions. they include an example of helping multiple customers, providing customer service, etc. then you get into the second round interview process. they take groups of 6+ people in one room and have you answer questions one after another. Then they have you do role playing with one another, etc while the managers take notes. The focus is obviously on being able to help multiple customers simultaneously and providing great service.

Interview Questions
    • why do you want to work at REI? -don't say you like the outdoors or that you have been a customer forever. those people were not hired.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at REI.

Filled out an online application and received a call in two weeks to set up an interview date and time. The interview was with 2 employees, one upper management and the other a senior sales specialist. The interview lasted for about 30 minutes and happened right before the store opened. I then received a call a couple of days later with a job offer.

Interview Questions
    • If you were going on a backpacking trip, which daypack (presented two options) would you bring?   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at REI.

The interview was with a group of about 10 people. The environment was really fun and relaxed. The questions were pretty easy to answer about customer service and why you want to work at REI.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at REI.

Very pleasant. Questions seemed aimed at determining my personality rather than my abilities.

Interview Questions
    • The usual; "what was one of your most difficult situations at your last employer and how did you handle it?"   View Answer
    No negotiation, either a yes or no.