REI

2.5

54 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD
Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD

I applied online – interviewed at REI.

Group Interview: Very relaxed, snappy casual attire was appropriate. There were about 20 people in my group, 11 ended up hired. We started with a powerpoint introducing us to the company, then had a few minutes to get to know a neighbor and introduce them to the group. They broke us up into 4 smaller groups for a few activities, ie. sell this [insert product of our choosing] as a group and present to everyone what you think makes up excellent customer service. Really they are just seeking out relaxed, fun, outdoorsy people to join their team. It's all about the company culture with REI!

No negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for REI

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at REI in September 2014.

I applied online and got a call about 3 days later (I applied over labor day weekend, and was called the day after labor day). During the phone call, they asked some basic qualifying questions like availibility on a weekly basis, availibility for training, discussed postitions and pay and then set up an in-person interview.

The interview happened about 9 days later because of my availibility. The interview was pretty easy, I was interviewed by two people (one was training to be a manager), they asked questions like do you have experiance working in a team and if so please explain, tell us about a time you had to calm down an angry customer and what was the end result. Then, they asked basic questions about the REI memberships, and continued on about placement in store (cashier, Action Sports, stocking, etc.)

Then about 6 days later, I got a call from them but missed it because I was in class and they left a message saying something about try to call back before 5 but if not we will call you next week, so I thought I got it. When I got ahold of them they told me that my availibilty was the only thing keeping me from getting hired, but that they would like to keep in touch if they have other openings down the road. They even offered to be a reference for me if I applied to a different REI, which I thought was super respectable.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever had to calm down an angry customer and if so, how did it end?   View Answer

Sales Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at REI.

Definitely the weirdest interview I've ever been to. I got an invitation to what I thought was an information session with an interview afterwards, only to find it was in fact a "group interview". Haven't done one of these before? Here's a quick overview: you sit theater-style and watch a Powerpoint on the company. The chairs are moved and everyone is broken into groups. Each group/pair is asked a series of questions regarding sales, customer service, etc. while the store management observes. I can't really get across how awkward and uncomfortable this is. The supervisors/managers circle you like sharks with notepads and exchange hushed conversations about......who knows what (your teeth? that shirt you wore? the way you talked up a tent?). The whole thing took probably two hours but felt like at least eight.

Interview Questions
    • "Think of your ideal piece of camping gear and try to sell it to your partner."   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at REI.

Candidate-group interview. Informal. Small groups are given problem statements and the group's work is observed.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a difficult customer who was very demanding?   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at REI in April 2014.

I applied on Sunday and was contacted by the recruiting team on Wednesday to schedule a group interview. I was very impressed with how efficient and detailed the recruitment was throughout the whole process. Emails included required training dates and specific instructions. They even sent multiple reminder emails for the group interview! In short, very organized, efficient and friendly. The group interview was also a very fun experience, and made it clear they were looking for team players, so stand out, but don't necessarily take over. They really took the time to describe the company's values and details of the position. I was also impressed by how well everyone on the team got along at all levels, and they definitely showed they liked to conduct these interviews (that they were learning from us as well). (Store Manager, Sales Manager, Administrative Specialist and sales associate) After a round robin of "get to know you" questions, the 20-25 of us were split into small groups to work on the group exercises, which were the "questions" of the interview, while members of the team circulated to listen in and take notes. Have not yet heard back, but I hope to; clearly a phenonmenal place to work..

Interview Questions
    • You haven't gone to lunch yet, but you are helping a customer in the store, there is another customer on the phone, and a line is building at the cashwrap. What do you do to make sure everyone gets exceptional customer service? (Oh yeah, and you don't have the option of enlisting the help of your co-workers or managers; they are busy too.)   View Answer

Sales Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at REI.

Phone interview and was invited to group interview soon after.

Hourly pay was announced to the hire group. No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at REI.

group interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at REI in February 2014.

Did application online and got call back 2 days later. Interview was One-On-One and was fairly simple and sat outside for interview with nice lady. Questions were fairly simple. Interviewer said she would set me up for second interview but he wanted to meet me right away so I had my second interview same day 5 minutes later. He was really nice and said he liked me. He even had Awesome Tattoos. we discussed some basic products and both agreed we didn't like Bare-footers and it was set! Told me I got the job and set me Up for training. May 2nd 2014. Start off pay $10.00

Interview Questions
    • What Was the last product you bought here?   View Answer
    He Told me they start off at $10.00 . No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at REI in September 2013.

Applied online and was contacted and given a short phone interview (why do you want to work for REI?, what is your availability?) less than a week later. At the conclusion of the phone interview, I was asked to come in for a group interview.

At the group interview there were 14 people being interviewed (for about 7 positions) by the store manager and about 8 of her employees. There was a presentation about REI, then we had to introduce ourselves and say why we wanted to work at REI. We were put into groups to answer "What is good customer service?" and "What does REI's slogan mean to you?" Then we paired off and had to sell our partner a water bottle.

During these questions, the manager and her employees walked around with clipboards making notes about each one of us.

Two men dressed business casual, myself included. Two women dressed business casual. The other 10 were wearing casual clothes. Better safe than sorry when it comes to dressing for an interview, in my humble opinion.

Just remember to be as outgoing and positive as possible. Smile! Also, keep in mind that REI wants to educate its customers, so use personal experience to educate and inform when selling the water bottle. Make sure you know something about REI and the products they sell.

none. Part-time seasonal. On the plus side, most management started in PT seasonal.

Sales Specialist Interview

Application online via rei.com/jobs. Next step was a 20 minute phone screening interview. Asking about retail experience, my availability for work, customer service focus. This was followed by an interactive group interview of approximately two hours. Very informative as to the company. All dates and expectations were clearly defined. Was an enjoyable experience, showcasing the high caliber of all applicants.

Interview Questions
    • I did not expect to be paired up with other applicants for activities, but was very enjoyable for a job interview.   Answer Question