REI Sales Specialist Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

2.5

Sales Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI.

Interview

It starts out as a group interview/meeting. Then each individual has a panel interview. This takes place in two phases. Start as a group, then meet individually. finally a small group of us were chosen and we began the training together.

Interview Questions

• They created a scenario where a customer would be looking at an item. They asked me to sell them the item as if they were the customer.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for REI

Sales Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI.

Interview

I applied online at rei.com to several positions and locations. REI promotes retail leadership from within, so I was mostly interested in the Sales Specialist position. I received a phone call for a screening about six weeks after applying and was invited to an in person interview, which was conducted with a department manager and an admin assistant. At the end of the interview, I was offered a position, although often an offer is send a day or two after the interview.

Sales Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at REI in June 2015.

Interview

Was invited to a group interview. There were about 7 of us. The began by asking a few questions and asking us to discuss them as a group. Then they asked us to pick an item off of a table and mingle around "selling" it to the other interviewees while they observed. It was a pretty casual, relaxed atmosphere but it was important to jump in/ speak up to set yourself apart from the group.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for REI? If you had to take one piece out of the mission statement, what would it be and why? What makes good customer service/shopping experience? "Practice selling an item (from this table) to your peers."   1 Answer

Sales Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at REI in June 2015.

Interview

Was called on the phone and asked a few questions. Then I went to a Group Interview. We were Asked a few questions about customer service and a small role play on how you would handle a customer service situation. It was a good process and I thought a very positive one.

Sales Specialist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at REI.

Interview

I applied online and then dropped off my resume in person and asked for a manager. i got a call 2 weeks later for an in-person interview. I interviewed with two managers in a small office. They were very polite and took notes. They asked questions from printed interview guides.

Interview Questions

• "Imagine that you are the sales person in the department and you are helping a customer. A second, rather pushy customer keeps interrupting you and demanding assistance. You notice a third customer waiting for help. How do you handle this situation?"   1 Answer

Sales Specialist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at REI.

Interview

Easy and engaging. Was lucky enough to get a one on one interview with a department manager. With my wide breadth of relevant experience and my recent adventures I was offered a job on the spot. Many candidates have to work through a group interview process to obtain a job offer. I feel very fortunate!

Interview Questions

• How would you approach selling a product?   1 Answer

Sales Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at REI in April 2015.

Interview

After some warm-up exercises, they split the entire group (about 20 people) into 3 smaller groups and had us each go to 3 different stations. The first station my group went to had us creating a tent together out of office supplies and we had to present a 1-minute pitch in front of everyone (this happened at the very end of the interview). The second station had us pairing up and picking a product out of a box. We then had to give a one minute pitch about the product to our partner. The last station had us telling each other a bit about ourselves (what's your favorite activity) and also why we wanted to work for REI. All in all, it was an easy interview and actually pretty fun. It's been about 5 days and I have yet to hear from them though.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at REI (San Diego, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I walked in and asked to speak to a manager or sales lead. I was directed to the sales lead who informed me the company hires by season and they had just finished hiring for the summer season. He asked me for a résumé so he could call me if anything became available in the future, he also recommended I apply online. I gave him my résumé and I received a call about two weeks later during which they briefly screened me over the phone and then scheduled a face-to-face interview at their location.

Interview Questions

• If you were a sales specialist here in the store and you were helping one customer answer a question about a product when suddenly a second, more abrasive/needy, customer comes up to you and demands your attention, how would you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in College Park, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI (College Park, MD).

Interview

Group Interview: Very relaxed, snappy casual attire was appropriate. There were about 20 people in my group, 11 ended up hired. We started with a powerpoint introducing us to the company, then had a few minutes to get to know a neighbor and introduce them to the group. They broke us up into 4 smaller groups for a few activities, ie. sell this [insert product of our choosing] as a group and present to everyone what you think makes up excellent customer service. Really they are just seeking out relaxed, fun, outdoorsy people to join their team. It's all about the company culture with REI!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at REI (Englewood, CO) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online and got a call about 3 days later (I applied over labor day weekend, and was called the day after labor day). During the phone call, they asked some basic qualifying questions like availibility on a weekly basis, availibility for training, discussed postitions and pay and then set up an in-person interview. The interview happened about 9 days later because of my availibility. The interview was pretty easy, I was interviewed by two people (one was training to be a manager), they asked questions like do you have experiance working in a team and if so please explain, tell us about a time you had to calm down an angry customer and what was the end result. Then, they asked basic questions about the REI memberships, and continued on about placement in store (cashier, Action Sports, stocking, etc.) Then about 6 days later, I got a call from them but missed it because I was in class and they left a message saying something about try to call back before 5 but if not we will call you next week, so I thought I got it. When I got ahold of them they told me that my availibilty was the only thing keeping me from getting hired, but that they would like to keep in touch if they have other openings down the road. They even offered to be a reference for me if I applied to a different REI, which I thought was super respectable.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had to calm down an angry customer and if so, how did it end?   1 Answer