REI Sales Specialist Interview Questions

2.5

53 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  College Park, MD
Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD

I applied online - interviewed at REI.

Group Interview: Very relaxed, snappy casual attire was appropriate. There were about 20 people in my group, 11 ended up hired. We started with a powerpoint introducing us to the company, then had a few minutes to get to know a neighbor and introduce them to the group. They broke us up into 4 smaller groups for a few activities, ie. sell this [insert product of our choosing] as a group and present to everyone what you think makes up excellent customer service. Really they are just seeking out relaxed, fun, outdoorsy people to join their team. It's all about the company culture with REI!

No negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for REI

Sales Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at REI.

Definitely the weirdest interview I've ever been to. I got an invitation to what I thought was an information session with an interview afterwards, only to find it was in fact a "group interview". Haven't done one of these before? Here's a quick overview: you sit theater-style and watch a Powerpoint on the company. The chairs are moved and everyone is broken into groups. Each group/pair is asked a series of questions regarding sales, customer service, etc. while the store management observes. I can't really get across how awkward and uncomfortable this is. The supervisors/managers circle you like sharks with notepads and exchange hushed conversations about......who knows what (your teeth? that shirt you wore? the way you talked up a tent?). The whole thing took probably two hours but felt like at least eight.

Interview Questions
    • "Think of your ideal piece of camping gear and try to sell it to your partner."   Answer Question

Sales Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at REI in January 2011.

After a brief phone interview, I was invited for an in-person meeting with 2 interviewers. Prior to hire, I met with upper management of my store location. Once selected, I was hired. If given a chance to spend more time being interviewed directly by the store manager, that would have been better for me because shortly after being hired, the hiring party left the company and I had no advocate for my talent coming into the new position. This made elements of my onboarding more difficult.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a fellow employee stealing from the store?   Answer Question
    Negotiation was not an option since the competition for jobs was so high during that post Recession period.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at REI in April 2014.

I applied on Sunday and was contacted by the recruiting team on Wednesday to schedule a group interview. I was very impressed with how efficient and detailed the recruitment was throughout the whole process. Emails included required training dates and specific instructions. They even sent multiple reminder emails for the group interview! In short, very organized, efficient and friendly. The group interview was also a very fun experience, and made it clear they were looking for team players, so stand out, but don't necessarily take over. They really took the time to describe the company's values and details of the position. I was also impressed by how well everyone on the team got along at all levels, and they definitely showed they liked to conduct these interviews (that they were learning from us as well). (Store Manager, Sales Manager, Administrative Specialist and sales associate) After a round robin of "get to know you" questions, the 20-25 of us were split into small groups to work on the group exercises, which were the "questions" of the interview, while members of the team circulated to listen in and take notes. Have not yet heard back, but I hope to; clearly a phenonmenal place to work..

Interview Questions
    • You haven't gone to lunch yet, but you are helping a customer in the store, there is another customer on the phone, and a line is building at the cashwrap. What do you do to make sure everyone gets exceptional customer service? (Oh yeah, and you don't have the option of enlisting the help of your co-workers or managers; they are busy too.)   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days - interviewed at REI.

Candidate-group interview. Informal. Small groups are given problem statements and the group's work is observed.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a difficult customer who was very demanding?   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied in-person - interviewed at REI in June 2010.

Phone interview first, group interviews next

Sales Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at REI.

Phone interview and was invited to group interview soon after.

Hourly pay was announced to the hire group. No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at REI in February 2014.

Did application online and got call back 2 days later. Interview was One-On-One and was fairly simple and sat outside for interview with nice lady. Questions were fairly simple. Interviewer said she would set me up for second interview but he wanted to meet me right away so I had my second interview same day 5 minutes later. He was really nice and said he liked me. He even had Awesome Tattoos. we discussed some basic products and both agreed we didn't like Bare-footers and it was set! Told me I got the job and set me Up for training. May 2nd 2014. Start off pay $10.00

Interview Questions
    • What Was the last product you bought here?   View Answer
    He Told me they start off at $10.00 . No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at REI in March 2013.

Email to come in. Discussion of prior experience in personal outdoor adventure, retail sales, trips taken, ability to relate to customer, and comfort level with irate or discontented customers.

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at REI.

group interview

Interview Questions

Worked for REI? Contribute to the Community!