REI

Getting the Interview

48 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Houston, TX

I applied in-person - interviewed at REI in June 2010.

Interview Details – Phone interview first, group interviews next

Interview Question – Convince me to buy this water bottle   Answer Question

Sales Specialist Interview

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at REI.

Interview Details – Phone interview and was invited to group interview soon after.

Negotiation Details – Hourly pay was announced to the hire group. No negotiation.

Dublin, CA

I applied online and interviewed at REI.

Interview Details – I received a call for a phone interview.

The person asked questions to see how you perceive customer service. They asked what department in the store you would be interested in working. And they asked what activities you participate in. They also asked if you would be available on certain dates if you were selected to participate.

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at REI in February 2014.

Interview Details – Did application online and got call back 2 days later. Interview was One-On-One and was fairly simple and sat outside for interview with nice lady. Questions were fairly simple. Interviewer said she would set me up for second interview but he wanted to meet me right away so I had my second interview same day 5 minutes later. He was really nice and said he liked me. He even had Awesome Tattoos. we discussed some basic products and both agreed we didn't like Bare-footers and it was set! Told me I got the job and set me Up for training. May 2nd 2014. Start off pay $10.00

Interview Question – What Was the last product you bought here?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – He Told me they start off at $10.00 . No negotiation.

Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at REI in March 2013.

Interview Details – Email to come in. Discussion of prior experience in personal outdoor adventure, retail sales, trips taken, ability to relate to customer, and comfort level with irate or discontented customers.

Interview Question – It was cake.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at REI.

Interview Details – group interview

Interview Question – be honest and get along with peers in group   Answer Question

Las Vegas, NV

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at REI in November 2012.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by two managers. The questions were mainly based on my resume and since I only have a year of experience, it's easy for me to recall specific situations. They're looking for proactive people that can work on numerical goals, especially in selling memberships. I also told them about my hobby of hiking and we talked a lot about it. So liking outdoors will be an advantage.

Interview Question – Here's a pen. Sell it to me.   Answer Question

Sales Specialist

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at REI in April 2012.

Interview Details – My interview was a group interview that started with about 15-20 people. They called back about 10 of us for the position. The interview itself was pretty laid back. It began with all of the interviewees in a room with a panel of upper-level employees and management asking questions and breaking off into groups to do projects. It felt more like an audition than an interview. It was a fun way to interact with established employees and interviewees alike. To my understanding, they are now hiring on an individual basis, and the training has gone downhill since I started, at least at my store.

Interview Question – In one of the group exercises we were supposed to design a piece of gear that would be innovative and new to the industry.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The starting pay was much higher than I expected. In general, negotiations are really not supposed to be accepted.

Madison, WI

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at REI in September 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and was contacted and given a short phone interview (why do you want to work for REI?, what is your availability?) less than a week later. At the conclusion of the phone interview, I was asked to come in for a group interview.

At the group interview there were 14 people being interviewed (for about 7 positions) by the store manager and about 8 of her employees. There was a presentation about REI, then we had to introduce ourselves and say why we wanted to work at REI. We were put into groups to answer "What is good customer service?" and "What does REI's slogan mean to you?" Then we paired off and had to sell our partner a water bottle.

During these questions, the manager and her employees walked around with clipboards making notes about each one of us.

Two men dressed business casual, myself included. Two women dressed business casual. The other 10 were wearing casual clothes. Better safe than sorry when it comes to dressing for an interview, in my humble opinion.

Just remember to be as outgoing and positive as possible. Smile! Also, keep in mind that REI wants to educate its customers, so use personal experience to educate and inform when selling the water bottle. Make sure you know something about REI and the products they sell.

Negotiation Details – none. Part-time seasonal. On the plus side, most management started in PT seasonal.

Interviewed at REI

Interview Details – Application online via rei.com/jobs. Next step was a 20 minute phone screening interview. Asking about retail experience, my availability for work, customer service focus. This was followed by an interactive group interview of approximately two hours. Very informative as to the company. All dates and expectations were clearly defined. Was an enjoyable experience, showcasing the high caliber of all applicants.

Interview Question – I did not expect to be paired up with other applicants for activities, but was very enjoyable for a job interview.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at REI

Worked for REI? Contribute to the Community!

REI Videos

REI – Why Work for Us?

We Think It's Important to Feel Good About Where You Work People love working at REI because it's a place where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while enjoying a work-life balance. Another reason is that… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at REI Sales Specialist interview questions and advice. All 48 interview reviews posted anonymously by REI employees and interview candidates.