REI Systems

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior QA Engineer Interview

Senior QA Engineer
Herndon, VA

I applied online - interviewed at REI Systems in September 2011.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by 3 different people,with analytical,technical questions.the level of interview questions were good

Interview Question – Do you have kids?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – BAD.Program Manager was bargaining for 1000$

Salesforce Developer Interview

Salesforce Developer
Herndon, VA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at REI Systems.

Interview Details – Had 3 rounds of interview. First interview was with a senior developer who asked everything about programming and database questions followed by some puzzles. The second interview was with an architect who asked general puzzle based questions. The final was with a resource manager who asked if I had to start a restaurant, what are the factors that i would take into consideration.

Interview Question – Regarding external libraries   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Principal Software Engineer
Herndon, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at REI Systems in August 2011.

Interview Details – Very lengthy. It was 4 hours for me without any prior notification. It was clear sign for me that they don't take into account your personal time and value, but I didn't pay attention that time.

Interview Question – They ask a lot of questions not related to your experience, but rather showing how you think. At the same time all questions they ask can be easily found in internet. What is their own input then?   Answer Question

Salesforce Team Lead Interview

Salesforce Team Lead
Herndon, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at REI Systems in December 2012.

Interview Details – Their Talent Acquisition team contacted me in response to my resume on Monster, they said the role was open and I seemed to be a great match for their Saleforce Practice in Herndon, a position within the CRM solutions team. The recruiter was courteous and knowledgeable. She scheduled a phone interview. I was asked to speak with a SF developer who asked me standard questions on my experience. Next I waited for a week and finally they said they will call me in for a face to face. The interview time and date was set, I was asked to show 15 minutes before the interview and bring with me some "necessary and important" employment application forms. I show up at the interview and the main door is locked, no one at the reception. After waiting for 10 minutes I call the recruiter, she informed that someone will let me in. After a brief wait I was let in by the guy who did the phone interview. I was led to one of the conference rooms with a very noisy neighboring conference room.

After a brief wait I was interviewed by the CRM solutions team Manager, I gathered he was related to the owner of the company with same last name. He looked highly unprofessional with unbuttoned shirt, gold chain etc. He took business casual to a new level. At this point I was wondering how professional this interview was going to be. After asking about my background he informed me he wasn’t sure of the role he wanted me to play whether it was a BA or CRM solutions Team lead. On hearing my background and flexibility he said he will have couple more people interview me. At this point I wasn’t given any timeline or any hint of how long the process will take.

Next two Saleforce developers casually walk in, the interview continued. The two interviewers were one from the phone interview and the other a Technical Architect. After a while I realized the interviewers were unnecessarily arguing with me on my interview responses and were having some fun on the side posing gotcha questions to me and smirk with each other. Slowly I realized a departure from a professional interview environment; instead it was similar to something like a casual college frat house interview. The two CRM solutions developers seemed fresh from India and kept asking meaningless questions about my CRM solutions experience, frequently interrupting and arguing with me during my responses. Finally they realized they were going over time (almost an hour) and let in another interviewer. This time the interviewer was a CRM solutions PM, I assumed, never stated what he really did. He was courteous and listened intently to my response to his questions and provided feedback.

So far I was interviewing for 2 hours, suddenly the CRM solutions team Manager quickly walks in and says they have conference call to attend and they will get back to me through the recruiter. On the second day after the interview I emailed the CRM solutions team Manager a “Thank you” note, no response. I contacted the recruiter, she informed me she will find out and get back to me. After a week I still don’t hear from them, I called the recruiter again. After a few days I was emailed a note that they didn’t find me to be a match for their team. These people seriously have no value for other people’s time and lack professional courtesy during and after interview. The interview can be easily classified as unprofessional due to the way it was handled and the sheer waste of time. I was two steps away from calling off the interview and heading out if it weren’t for my situation of being between jobs.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult to answer, just standard Saleforce experience questions.Difficult part was when they nitpick the answer, in order to provoke a reaction. You are trying to maintain the professionalism.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Herndon, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at REI Systems.

Interview Details – Hiring manager was too busy to receive (understandable). Made me wait for a long time. Two people showed up after a long time, interviewed and asked me to wait for the hiring manager. Again the gentleman doesn't show up. I wait until the receptionist suggest me that it is way past office time. Finally I leave around 8 PM on my commute back (Out of town 4 hours commute). No respect for a job applicant.

LAMP Developer Interview

LAMP Developer
Herndon, VA

I interviewed at REI Systems in May 2010.

Interview Details – This was the most unprofessional rude ignorant interview I have ever encountered. First I was interviewed over the telephone. The guy asked me detailed questions about PHP and MySQL, which I answered. For example, what is the default MySQL port? What does myisamchk do? Then at the end of the call he said " I guess you know PHP and MySQL. I will speak to HR to have them set up an in person call." I gave him a pass as he said he was sick and at home doing the interview. While I was taken aback by his comment I just thought he was irritable because he was sick. So, I went there hesitantly. It was the same treatment in person. There was another guy in the room who just kept his head down the entire time and wouldn't make eye contact with me. I don't know if that was out of embarrassment or just his nature. But until the rude guy from the telephone interview showed up the first guy was professional and easy to talk to. Then the rude guy came into the room as he had a conflicting meeting--he was late. He immediately began insulting me with innuendo tacked on to his questions like "Sooooooo now [read emphasis] you say you know design patterns." I was very taken aback by him insinuating that I was lying. I said when did I say I didn't? And I added "As I was saying before . . . " I had used the singleton, mvc, and factory pattern. I reminded him of the examples and why I chose those patterns. But it was the tone in his voice that made it sound like I was lying. Then he would say something like "Are you sure you thought through your answer? That doesn't make any sense." After a pause, I would re-explained my answer, thinking he didn't understand what I was saying.. Then he would just sigh and act bored. I asked him if he understood my explanation. When I questioned him he would cut me off and say "Lets move on". At first I started to doubt myself and was thinking to myself did I just say something stupid? But his questions were just generic simple questions like "How would you secure a database?" or "What is the advantage of parameterized SQL query structures"? Then he said "So you just created forms or something simple like that in your past jobs, not real applications. What makes you think you would be able to work on a team that builds true applications? " I had already gone into detail about the applications and the architecture of some of the applications I had created (and they were not "just forms"), including the average number of classes/library sizes, whether we used a load balancer, etc. So it was as if he wanted to downplay my experience in an insulting way by making up some answer that I never gave. It was almost like a Saturday Night Live skit or something. The weird thing was he didn't even ask any technically specific questions. The first guy was the one who asked those questions and made me write SQL queries on a paper given some database tables he prepared on another, write PHP class code that did XYZ and write UML diagrams for database designs given a situation. And the first guy gave instant feedback, or asked a follow up question. After about 45 minutes of the rude guy just insulting me with his snide remarks about made up information I stood up and buttoned my suit jack and called the interview to a close. The rude guy just pushed his chair back on its hind legs smirking and said "What? We are finished already?" Every consulting agency in this area contacted me about that job afterwards, trying to fill it. And one of them called me up and asked why I said I would never work for that company. I just told her what happened. She thanked me as she had sent a good candidate over there she said and he left early too saying the interview was "unprofessional" without comment. She said she was going back to her manager and tell them not to waste any more consultants time by sending people over there. Fast forward one year. They advertised for a similar position. They contacted me directly again, but by a new person. I told her what happened and said I would never interview or work for them. She forwarded my email to the same HR person from the previous year, as the HR person internally there replied back to me and said that is not how they operate there and she would investigate. I never heard back from her. Again, for months every consulting company from my area to CA was calling me about this job. I declined. But ironically I knew a former coworker who was out of work and was PHP engineer with many years experience. And people send me jobs all the time. So I forwarded one to her not knowing it was for this company. She told me after the interview that that was the most uncomfortable interview she had ever gone to and sarcastically thanked me for the referral. I asked her who it was and she told me. I profusely apologized to her. She said she complained to the consulting company and the HR person at this company explained it away.

Interview Question – The had you write SQL queries, draw database diagrams, and write PHP code.   Answer Question

Linux Systems Administrator Interview

Linux Systems Administrator
Herndon, VA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at REI Systems in March 2012.

Interview Details – Contacted by a staffing recruiter who was very pleasant through the whole process. The recruiter forwarded my resume to REISystems who was immediately interested and called the recruiter back to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview went well and they setup an in-person interview for the next week. The In-person interview only lasted about 30 mins which consisted of mostly scenario questions and there was very little feedback and an overall lack of enthusiasm on their part.. a few days later the recruiter said they didn't want to move forward.

Interview Questions

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Herndon, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at REI Systems in March 2012.

Interview Details – REI sys is a growing company in the area. They seem to have a good process in place as far as recruitment is concerned. What I did not like was the amount of time they take between each communication. It feels like forever. It could be a result of a heavy volume of applications but from a candidate's perspective, it's a painful wait. Advice for REI is to somehow speed up the process. Advice for candidates is to just be patient and don't rule out anything just because they did not get back quickly.

Interview Question – If an employee in your team is lacking motivation, how would you address that?   Answer Question

Testing Interview

Testing
Herndon, VA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at REI Systems in February 2012.

Interview Details – 1

Interview Question – Tell me the difficult situation you faced while testing?   Answer Question

Associate Business Analyst Interview

Associate Business Analyst
Herndon, VA

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at REI Systems in August 2011.

Interview Details – I got a call from the HR and she asked me why do you want to work for REI, my background, BA exp type questions. Later, after a week, a phone interview was scheduled which lasted for like an hour.. two weeks from then a 1:1 was scheduled. Waiting for the final result. I don't know if they are going to call me for the next round.

Overall, the interview was fun because the entire process was in the form of an exercise.. I enjoyed interviewing for REI Systems... though it is not a piece of cake, you would definitely learn a lot out of this interview experience.

Interview Question – Difference between inner joints and outer joints ?   View Answer

Worked for REI Systems? Contribute to the Community!