REI Systems Interview Questions in Herndon, VA

3.1

23 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at REI Systems in July 2010.

Easy Phone Interview

Database Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at REI Systems in June 2010.

I have applied online for the job, the interview was set for a Friday. It consisted of a technical interview to test my DB skills for about 1.5 hours and then a one hour interview to test my analytical skills. Monday they contacted me to offer me the position, and by Friday we signed the contract. It was probably one of the most technically-challenging interviews I had to go through, but that was a good indication on the level of expertise that is expected from the employees.

Interview Questions
    • Analytical questions to identify problem solving approaches   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at REI Systems in May 2010.

Had a phone interview initially and another phone interview testing my analytical skills in order to bring me for an onsite round. There were three rounds again at the onsite testing technical, analytical and a HR round

Interview Questions
    • questions like asp.net page life cycle, and other basic .net questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at REI Systems in May 2010.

The company did a presentation at my school. I interviewed with them that afternoon. I had a technical interview first. Then I had a problem solving interview where we discussed both my project experience and some critical thinking problems. They were very friendly and very easy to talk with. When I got stuck with some of the problem solving questions the interviewer gave me some hints to help me discover a better answer.

LAMP Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

interviewed at REI Systems in May 2010.

This was the most unprofessional rude ignorant interview I have ever encountered. First I was interviewed over the telephone. The guy asked me detailed questions about PHP and MySQL, which I answered. For example, what is the default MySQL port? What does myisamchk do? Then at the end of the call he said " I guess you know PHP and MySQL. I will speak to HR to have them set up an in person call." I gave him a pass as he said he was sick and at home doing the interview. While I was taken aback by his comment I just thought he was irritable because he was sick. So, I went there hesitantly. It was the same treatment in person. There was another guy in the room who just kept his head down the entire time and wouldn't make eye contact with me. I don't know if that was out of embarrassment or just his nature. But until the rude guy from the telephone interview showed up the first guy was professional and easy to talk to. Then the rude guy came into the room as he had a conflicting meeting--he was late. He immediately began insulting me with innuendo tacked on to his questions like "Sooooooo now [read emphasis] you say you know design patterns." I was very taken aback by him insinuating that I was lying. I said when did I say I didn't? And I added "As I was saying before . . . " I had used the singleton, mvc, and factory pattern. I reminded him of the examples and why I chose those patterns. But it was the tone in his voice that made it sound like I was lying. Then he would say something like "Are you sure you thought through your answer? That doesn't make any sense." After a pause, I would re-explained my answer, thinking he didn't understand what I was saying.. Then he would just sigh and act bored. I asked him if he understood my explanation. When I questioned him he would cut me off and say "Lets move on". At first I started to doubt myself and was thinking to myself did I just say something stupid? But his questions were just generic simple questions like "How would you secure a database?" or "What is the advantage of parameterized SQL query structures"? Then he said "So you just created forms or something simple like that in your past jobs, not real applications. What makes you think you would be able to work on a team that builds true applications? " I had already gone into detail about the applications and the architecture of some of the applications I had created (and they were not "just forms"), including the average number of classes/library sizes, whether we used a load balancer, etc. So it was as if he wanted to downplay my experience in an insulting way by making up some answer that I never gave. It was almost like a Saturday Night Live skit or something. The weird thing was he didn't even ask any technically specific questions. The first guy was the one who asked those questions and made me write SQL queries on a paper given some database tables he prepared on another, write PHP class code that did XYZ and write UML diagrams for database designs given a situation. And the first guy gave instant feedback, or asked a follow up question. After about 45 minutes of the rude guy just insulting me with his snide remarks about made up information I stood up and buttoned my suit jack and called the interview to a close. The rude guy just pushed his chair back on its hind legs smirking and said "What? We are finished already?" Every consulting agency in this area contacted me about that job afterwards, trying to fill it. And one of them called me up and asked why I said I would never work for that company. I just told her what happened. She thanked me as she had sent a good candidate over there she said and he left early too saying the interview was "unprofessional" without comment. She said she was going back to her manager and tell them not to waste any more consultants time by sending people over there. Fast forward one year. They advertised for a similar position. They contacted me directly again, but by a new person. I told her what happened and said I would never interview or work for them. She forwarded my email to the same HR person from the previous year, as the HR person internally there replied back to me and said that is not how they operate there and she would investigate. I never heard back from her. Again, for months every consulting company from my area to CA was calling me about this job. I declined. But ironically I knew a former coworker who was out of work and was PHP engineer with many years experience. And people send me jobs all the time. So I forwarded one to her not knowing it was for this company. She told me after the interview that that was the most uncomfortable interview she had ever gone to and sarcastically thanked me for the referral. I asked her who it was and she told me. I profusely apologized to her. She said she complained to the consulting company and the HR person at this company explained it away.

Interview Questions
    • The had you write SQL queries, draw database diagrams, and write PHP code.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

The process took a dayinterviewed at REI Systems in March 2010.

With over 15 years of experience building web applications, I was interviewed by a developer just out of college who was barely able to speak English. Further, he was unable to recognize a correct answer to a question about SQL (which I later confirmed to be correct).

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer asked me to craft a SQL statement that would return a specific result set. I had to ask him to repeat himself a number of times because of his inability to properly speak English.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at REI Systems in March 2010.

The career services at my school set up the initial interview overnight (I was told the day before the interview). The interview was a three step process. First: I spoke with with a senior software engineer at the company on the phone, Second: I spoke with an HR representative about my personality, and Last: I spoke with the person who would be my boss for his own knowledge of what kind of person I was.

Interview Questions
    • Given the dimentions of a rubics cube (3x3, 4x4), what is the formula for figuring out the number of cubes that can not be seen on the surface. (If it did have cubes on the inside)   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at REI Systems in March 2010.

The recruiter was very unprofessional in handling the interview process.....advised me of how to carry, present and prepare myself which I felt is not her business and she did not get back and let me know the interview results.

They made me wait in the lobby for quite some time and no apology. The person who interviewed me did not seem to be interested in finding out how I would contribute to their team or organization. Just asked me a bunch of questions most of which were irrelevant to the position I was interviewing. The interview also ended very abruptly, the second person who was supposed to interview me had already left. What a weird experience....Certainly would not want to work with such people.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question - Guess the number I am thinking of which is between 1 and 100 by asking minimal Yes or No questions.   View Answers (2)

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at REI Systems in February 2010.

The initial phone screening was a very bad experience. The way interview was conducted was not professional and they were not ready to listen what I had to say. The questions were very random and after a while I was not sure if they were interviewing to hire for a position or just wanted to test where you break. Even before hearing their feedback, I made up my mind that I will not be accepting this position....afterall it's not only that a company wants talented people to be part of their team but one should enjoy working with the team too

Interview Questions
    • How would you co-ordinate/clarify requirements with off shore dev/testing teams   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at REI Systems in February 2010.

The initial phone screening was a phone interview. I got their phone call after 5 hours of the scheduled time and no apology from the interviewer. After a week, they called me for face to face interview. It was supposed to be 2 hours, but they made it 3 hours. They kept me waiting in the lobby for 30 minutes. Three people interviewed one after another. There were lot of analytical questions like number guessing, pan balance questions and logical puzzles. The HR person did not get back and let me know the interview results. They pay less and expect more work from their employees. Most of the employees work till late nights and also in weekends.

Interview Questions
    • I have 9 coins, out of which 8 coins are identical in weight and one is lighter in weight. Is it possible to find the light weight coin with only two weighings, using pan balance?   View Answers (2)