RGM Advisors, LLC

Updated Jun 18, 2014
Updated Jun 18, 2014

3.3

Quantitative Researcher Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at RGM Advisors, LLC in May 2014.

Online resume drop, phone interview scheduled by email.

The interview was a brief resume walk through with an extremely friendly recruiter. Seems like they are looking for folks with production experience, ready to bring a strategy over. Overall experience is consistent with the image they project online: technically competent but "laid back".

Interview Questions
    • The only unexpected feature was an absence of technical questions or a follow up problem.   Answer Question

Software Development Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at RGM Advisors, LLC.

I applied on the site, they got back to me within a few days and after a quick 15 minute HR QA session, I was offered an onsite interview.

I drove down at 9 am and went up the 16(!) floors to their gorgeous offices that had a view of everything. After about 10 minutes (upper bound), a developer and the software director. They asked some basic questions (detailed below) and then had me improve upon my solutions given. They also asked standard questions like what do you like about CS, what would you improve about the place you last worked, and what is most important in developing software.

I said I liked CS because of the expressive creativity it gives me, and that I would improve on creating a more programmer-centric environment for programmers, and I talked some about testing and pairing (teamwork).

After that we talked about RGM, and the internship and what they do. They asked about how comfortable I am in a Unix environment (to which I replied "very"). I told them about schoolwork on Linux and Vim. Then came *the* question. How would you find phone numbers in html files. Of course you use grep! So I talked about grep and they asked some weird cases about using grep, ls, and piping, and I did something stupid. They asked how I would ensure I was using grep correctly. And I said look it up online. Use the man page! How could I have been so stupid. Learn from my mistakes.

Interview Questions
    • How would you check that a list of ints contains two numbers that sum to a given x?   View Answer
    • Write a function that returns the parent node of two nodes.   View Answer
    • How would you find phone numbers in html files?   View Answer

Quantitative Research Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at RGM Advisors, LLC in October 2013.

I submitted a resume for the position through the RGM website, and set up a phone interview after being contacted by the recruiter. I never received a call at our agreed-upon time, and my phone call/voicemail and 2 follow-up emails have gone unanswered. Not much else to say, really; pretty unprofessional.

Quantitative Research Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at RGM Advisors, LLC in October 2013.

I submitted my resume on their website and got a phone interview afterwards. The interviewer introduced the company briefly and then asked resume-related questions as well as other questions that might be relevant to the job. Overall it was a great experience. They have a nice office downtown Austin, and the culture is open and friendly, unlike some other companies in this industry.

Interview Questions

Had another opportunity more closely related to what I'm doing right now. I wish I could accept because this really seems like a great place to work.

Senior Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at RGM Advisors, LLC in September 2011.

The interview process was extremely rigorous and methodical, but ultimately fair. I was first phone-screened by the internal recruiter, and then by the hiring manager, who ultimately gave the thumbs-up to fly me out for the face-to-face interview.

After a quick tour and overview by the recruiter, I had several 45-minute rounds with technical staff - always two at a time. They were expected to evaluate me on specific subject matter, and did so affably and professionally. To say that the process was "thorough" would be an understatement. It became clear to me - and certainly to everyone else - that my technical skill set wasn't sufficiently broad or current to meet their standards. I was disappointed, but I reluctantly agree with their assessment.

My only gripe is that the job description on the corporate website gave absolutely no indication that the bar was set so high regarding the breadth of expertise. As a veteran of larger companies, my experience has tended to be more specialized, and in hindsight that clearly put me at a disadvantage.

Interview Questions
    • a) Find the Linux ethernet interface of the e1000e-based card/port
      that is has link - assume there is only one such card, it has more
      than one port, but only one port is plugged in.

b) The first parameter passed to the script is a 802.1q vlan number.
      Assume there is an "ipbroker <vlan>" command that will return a unique
      IP and netmask for that network. Add the vlan to the interface and
      assign it the IP/netmask.

c) Write out RedHat-style ifcfg-* files that will bring this vlan up
      on boot. Save the existing ifcfg files that you are overwriting.

Describe how you would distribute this script and safely run it on
      several hundred machines. If you use a configuration management
      product, write some of the policy you would use to accomplish this.
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at RGM Advisors, LLC in September 2010.

It was a short phone interview with HR manager. Very general questions about my background and experience in machine learning and development. Interviewer gave cold comments on my answers. It took less than 10 minutes. It was obvious that I wouldn't hear back from them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at RGM Advisors, LLC in March 2010.

I had a first round interview with RGM which consisted of a one-on-one phone interview with an HR woman (although I could tell it was on speaker and I believe there may have been others in the room). The interview consisted of a walk through my resume, then a series of five questions. The questions were very simple: one calculus question, one probability question, one statistics question, one *nix question, and one predictive modelling question. I answered all of the questions correctly, then she asked me a bit about my past compensation.

At the end she said that I would hear back from hear next week, and since I answered all of the questions correctly and seemed to be a good fit, I would have a second interview with the head of HR next week. If I didn't hear from her next we, she asked me to send her a follow up email as she was very busy.

The next day, I sent her a thank you note and saying that I looked forward to hearing and reiterating my interest in the firm. I heard nothing from her that next week, so I sent her a follow up email. It has now been two months and I haven't heard anything from them which obviously means that I did not get the position. Overall, a very unprofessional way to handle the hiring process.

Interview Questions
    • How does one find the minima of a function (although she was a bit confused on the difference between the absolute minimum and relative minima)?   View Answer
    • What is stochastic?   View Answer
    • Find the median of a group of six numbers.   Answer Question
    • For what is the "grep" command used?   Answer Question
    • Which is a better predictive model given certain conditions?   Answer Question

Software Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at RGM Advisors, LLC in August 2009.

Fortunately, I didn't interview in person. I was a bit timid of this company after reading another person's interview reveiw. The person from RGM conducting the phone interview rescheduled at the last moment, but I was flexible. Still, since we had a firm time set I found that kind of odd. Nevertheless, the phone interview felt good. I wasn't asked any unusual questions. The questions were about my background and resume. I found it difficult to understand what they did. The interviewer said they have NO customers. So it seems as though RGM Advisors trades stocks using their own company's money through their state-of-the-art automated trading system. But the interviewer did say they are profitable.

The interviewer told me to contact him a few days after our phone interview. I did that, and he said that they were not interested in me. I found that kind of odd because of my extensive background and top-notch resume and also because I felt our phone interview went well. But I would just as well not go in for an onsite interview if the other review I read was accurate. There are so many companies out there that this one seems to be an oddball.

Interview Questions
    • (There were no difficult or unexpected questions asked during the phone interview. The questions asked were about the products I tested, my experiences in different technical roles I had, and why I left my last company. Those questions were quite typical for a phone interview.)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at RGM Advisors, LLC in June 2009.

I was contacted by phone by one of their HR representatives and we went through a normal 20 minute overview of the company, and why I was looking for a new job. They then gave me a coding assignment, with no real deadline. The assignment consisted of reading a text file of records and producing a view of the data records. They give you the option of using the Boost library. But don't use it, its not very efficient at string tokenizing and they will grill you about it later.

After submitting this assignment, they brought me in for an onsite interview. Their office is beautiful. It lasted eight and a half hours, and it was pretty gruelling. It was all technical.
    Some staff were friendly, others seemed pretty distant.

Interview Questions
    • Given a piece of code, find the mistakes, and how would you improve the code.   Answer Question
    • Combinatorics - Find all possible ways of arranging a geometrical object   Answer Question
    • Design patterns - I didn't know the design pattern, so we constructed the pattern from scratch given specifications.   Answer Question
    • A graphics question - How do you fill up a polygon   Answer Question
    • Optimization question - The record viewer application you wrote is really slow, how would you optimize it?   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at RGM Advisors, LLC in October 2007.

RGM Advisors is a private firm that specializes in taking advantage of fluctuations of stock prices through high frequency trading. As an pre-interview screening process they asked me to write a program in C++ that implemented a simple put/get trading scheme giving input from STDIN. Only since that program ran correctly did I get an interview; however, it did not run _fast enough_ for their lead programmers taste, since I had used a library with high overhead to parse the input. I also had not made use of the C++ template library to fulfill their liking. I mistakenly thought coming from a more analytical background that these implementation details were less important than a working product. There were several half hour interviews, all in groups of two. Some people asked relatively simple logic questions, some were more personality focuses, and one wanted to make things as uncomfortable as possible and ask questions that you probably haven't thought about since you were a junior in college. For instance, how are IEEE floating point numbers represented in memory? What is the smallest delta between two floating point numbers that represent time (in unix seconds) in the 1990s? Overall the tone of the interview was very aggressive and some of the less aggressive people seemed miserable (although well paid). I'm rating this interview as "difficult" more because I expect to be treated better when I am interviewing at a company than for the hard questions. I have no doubt that the people who work there are smart, they just have the emotional maturity of high school boys.

Interview Questions
    • What is the Euler representation of complex numbers?   Answer Question
    • How are IEEE floating point numbers represented in memory? What is the smallest time delta for a double that is in units of UNIX seconds that represents a time in the 1990s?   View Answer