Rackspace

Relevance Date Difficulty

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Rackspace in March 2014.

Interview Details – I spoke to the HR Generalist over the phone for the initial phone screen then visited on site for a One day interview process. Involved 2 groups (3-5 people each) interviewing you, first group including the hiring manager, second group including team members.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time that you failed miserably?   Answer Question

BDC Interview

BDC
Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Rackspace in December 2012.

Interview Details – Very long process, they have so many people in the interviews that are not trained around interview. They do this for culture but many of the meetings are pointless since you will not be hired directly with these people. However, it gives you a chance to really understand the position when you ask questions.

Interview Question – Give examples of how you work with your team mates in your current position   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Linux Systems Administrator I Interview

Linux Systems Administrator I
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Rackspace in February 2014.

Interview Details – The first interview I had was on the phone, with the recruiter. She asked me basic questions about previous work history, current work experience - Nothing too difficult or technical here. She then bounced me around to another recruiter, who later set me up with another phone interview.

The second phone interview was with a manager from Austin Rackspace. So there was some technical discussion involved - basic Linux / bash, iptables, resource usage troubleshooting, how to find information about the system and so forth. This is not very difficult if you have relevant experience.

The manager, after determining that you are technically proficient enough, will set you up (through the recruiter) for a TrueAbility test. TrueAbility allows you to log onto a server set up exclusively for Rackspace technical questions (traditionally called a "break box" fix or test).

The server was Centos and the questions were mostly about Apache2, Postfix, PHP, and mySQL. Please be expected to identify / edit / fix each service's configuration files. You will also need to utilize basic bash / mysql cli skills in this test (for example, how to place all incoming TCP connections into a file; or, how to import/export databases from mysql cli).

I had one hour to work on this. As you are by yourself, you can Google as needed.

Each follow-up from Rackspace took about a week or a week and a half through the recruiter via email.
My new recruiter let me know that they'd like to see me in person. So, I was set up with my 4th interview in person, in the Austin office. Prior to this, you have to set up a "racker talent" online profile where you essentially fill in another official application.

This interview was by far the most difficult. It was three hours long, and consisted of two 1.5 hour interviews with three people each. The first section of people were all admins, higher tier. They had me sit on a company laptop which was hooked up to a TV in an interviewing office. From there, they had me enter screen and asked me some Linux quiz-like questions; their expectation is to have you display as much as skill as possible. Be prepared for scrutiny. They will ask you additional technical questions, i.e. to elaborate on a particular command, or to explain what something would be used for in a real-life situation.

If you are not familiar with x, but you bring up x anyways, they may prod you to make sure you REALLY understand what it is you're talking about. To some degree, I suspect they are trying to understand technical limits. Do your homework! And if you're really not sure, say so; we are all human, after all. I learned a few things after walking away from this interview for sure.

The second half of the interview was their HR team; they asked about customer relationships, and how you handle yourself in certain environments, as well as what steps you'd take in particular situations. Example: What would you do if you accidentally deleted a customer's database, even if you could restore it in 30 seconds? Or: If you had to reboot a customer's server to resolve an issue, how would you handle that?

I didn't get an offer after this interview - I got a voicemail stating they'd made a decision, and that other candidates were chosen. This was understandable because of some lack of technical knowledge.

Three months later, a recruiter contacted me, inquiring about another phone interview. They wanted to give me a 2nd chance since I'd made a good impression the first time around. The phone interview was nothing special, just re-hashing everything I'd gone through and discussed so far with the team. On the same call, the recruiter set up another in-person interview in the Austin office.

The interview was still three hours. However, this time I had three one-hour sessions with two people each hour. Instead of having technical and relationship questions separated, all three sessions combined the subjects. For some questions there was a whiteboard - "Draw me an example of a basic Apache VirtualHost." "If you had all the money in the world, what kind of servers would you set up and why?"

Other questions that I remember:
"If a customer stated their website was slow, what exact steps would you do to troubleshoot it?"
"If a website was reported as completely 'down', what would you do?"

There are many "stream of consciousness" technical questions like these - they can be very open to interpretation. Don't feel obliged to reply perfectly, just tell them what you'd do, and how you'd do it.
Of course, there are also questions such as, "Are you familiar with our products, and can you explain them to us?" "What do you know about load balancing?" "Have you worked with mySQL replication?"

About a week and a half later, the recruiter called me back with an offer which I accepted.

Interview Question – "If you had all the money in the world, what kind of servers would you set up and why? Draw it for us."   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Marketing
Austin, TX

I interviewed at Rackspace in February 2011.

Interview Details – Recruiter phone screen, hiring manager phone screen, group interviews. Group gathers for feedback sessions. Culture fit is a huge factor and can be the deal breaker. Know about fanatical support and what that means to the positioning of the company. Also know about Cloud computing and managed hosting. know about competitors like AWS and Google.

Interview Question – Strengths - referring to strengthsfinder book and survey   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not much of one. Tons of people trying to get into rackspace

Very Difficult Interview

Program Manager II Interview

Program Manager II
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Rackspace in February 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process was long, tedious and ultimately fruitless. My application for an open position was replied to promptly, but communication was slow for the next five(!) weeks. I was ultimately interviewed by 8-10 people over the course of 3 phone interviews and 2 onsite interviews. The results of the panel interview were said to be positive. One ding against me was one member felt I was too intellectual for the culture. Ultimately, after waiting for 10 days following the final interview I was told that they liked me, but simply had nothing at Rackspace Austin for me.

Interview Question – There was not a singular difficult or unexpected question. The interview questions were not generally not technical in nature, given the position I was interviewing for.   Answer Question

Linux Administrator Interview

Linux Administrator
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Rackspace in October 2013.

Interview Details – Recruiter quickly responded after my application in setting up an initial phone screener in which I was quizzed on things like commands, common ports, DNS, and then I was scheduled to complete an online TrueAbility test. After the test, I was given a phone interview and live break/fix, which I did not do as well on and was not selected for any further interviews.

Interview Question – One difficult question was monitoring incoming pings.   View Answer

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Rackspace in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied to Rackspace via their website, and didn't have any inside connections to the company. After about a week someone at Rackspace requested a phone screening, which happened a few days later.

The phone interview wasn't anything out of the ordinary, I met with 2 Rackers and we spoke for about 30 minutes. Following the interview my initial contact told me that Rackspace would like to have me in for an interview.

The interview was 3 1-hour panels, each with 3 interviewers. Over the course of the three hours I was asked an array of questions about my work history, personality, but nothing out of the ordinary.

The Rackers I met with were all incredibly friendly, and there was nothing intimidating about our conversations. They tried to make me feel as comfortable as possible, and I really enjoyed the experience.

Following the interviews I was given a tour of the office, which looked like a fantastic place to work.

I was contacted by the recruiter a few days later to tell me that I wasn't selected for the job. It was pretty disappointing, as I was incredibly excited for the opportunity and had my fingers crossed.

In the end there were simply people who were better qualified than I was, and there are only so many available positions. I will likely pursue other opportunities at Rackspace in the future.

Interview Question – Standard interview questions, nothing technical.   Answer Question

Marketing Vice President Interview

Marketing Vice President
Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Rackspace in September 2013.

Interview Details – Had a phone screen interview with recruiter and was told that they would be scheduling a phone interview with the hiring manager within the next week. That was 3 weeks ago and several email pings ago - all without so much as a courtesy reply. Pretty shocked that a candidate being considered for an executive position would be treated this way.

Interview Question – Salary brought up by recruiter on first phone interview   Answer Question

Windows Systems Administrator II Interview

Windows Systems Administrator II
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Rackspace in May 2013.

Interview Details – Step 1 was to submit resume to rackspace.com. After that I was contacted by a full time in house recruiter who was very friendly and qualified me for the position by asking 14 tech questions on the position.

After passing the "test" I was contacted by an HR person to schedule a 3 hour interview. This interview process involved six total "rackers", two at a time in back to back to back 1 hour interview sessions.

Hour one was lightly technical, heavy on personality filtering. Tests your arrogance, your ability to work on a team, your communication prowess. I was asked to tell them a dirty joke at the end, just to see how i'd react and what I would be willing to say in an interview situation!

Hour two was entirely technical - Everything from telnet to SAN layout using whiteboards to demonstrate.

Hour three involved meeting the prospective actual team lead & manager to see how the fit might be. Questions like "Do you get enjoyment out of completing 50 tasks in a shift or do you prefer to tackle very difficult projects that take many hours?" Resume was scrutinized, and questions about if hired, where I wanted to be within the company in 5 years type questions.

In the end I was made an offer and declined but the interview process was unique, positive and if the pay were better I would of been excited to accept.

Interview Question – "Tell me a dirty joke right now."   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Very low base salary offered with too many unpredictable bonuses and profit sharing. I was hired by another company a few days later for quite seriously more than DOUBLE what Rackspace offered in base salary. I think this is the rackspace pay policy - offer 4+ weeks of PTO a year, free soda, a positive environment and pay people half industry rate. Didnt appeal to me, but may appeal to many.

Software Developer II Interview

Software Developer II
Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Rackspace in April 2013.

Interview Details – Recruiter missed scheduled phone screen twice. Next technical phone interview with Manager. He was late to the scheduled time by an hour. Bad feeling at this point. Another phone interview with a senior developer. Questions were a mix of technical/behavioral. Onsite was 3 hours. First hour technical with white boarding java and database concepts. Another hour of behavioral with Managers. Last part is tour of facilities and sales pitch on the culture.

Interview Question – Complete partial implementation of code to convert arraylist to linked list.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Rackspace

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!

Rackspace Videos

Rackspace – Why Work for Us?

Rackspace Hosting is the world’s leading specialist in hosting and cloud computing. The San Antonio-based company provides Fanatical Support® to its customers, across a portfolio of IT services, including Managed… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rackspace interview questions and advice in Austin, TX. All 25 interview reviews posted anonymously by Rackspace employees and interview candidates.