Rackspace Interview Questions in Austin, TX

Updated Jul 30, 2015

3.5

Manager, Fanatical Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rackspace (Austin, TX).

Interview

The interview process started with applying to the internal post. Hr then contacted to speak to me. Once this piece of was done, I moving into the interview rounds a few weeks later. The interviews consisted of 3 panels, with 3 people in each. The hiring Director, a couple Manger peers, and then direct personnel on the prospective teams. Once this 3 hour block was done, it took about 1 week for HR to get the offer out.

Interview Questions

• describe your 30,60,90. what type of manager methodology would you say describes you.   1 Answer

Exchange Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rackspace (Austin, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

Rackspace doesn't send an email they just flat out call you unexpectedly and ask if you have time to do a technical interview on the spot. They don't really give you a heads up on anything just be prepared to interview right away.

Interview Questions

• Not In particular order: Name SSL Port Name POP3 Port Name IMAP Port Describe items used within IIS What are some components that are used in IIS Describe the steps of installing Exchange Describe the four parts of an Exchange server   Answer Question

Technical Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rackspace (Austin, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

First I applied to a posting I had seen. About 3 days later I received an invitation to participate in a digital interview through a website called HireVue. This is a different process because you do not actually video conference with a manager, rather respond to pre-loaded questions in a timed environment being recorded through webcam. The managers then review your video responses at a later time to conclude whether you should be passed on to the next interview step (phone, in-person.)

Interview Questions

• What are some creative, out of the box ways that you source/recruit candidates?   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rackspace (Austin, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me by phone and phone interview was scheduled in less than 3 days. After that I was called for on-site interview in Austin,Tx which is 4 hours interview, split as 4 each with 1 hour and 2 people. First 2 round was technical in Python, Test planning, Test case scenarios, 3rd was managerial - trying to understand the attitude and about my knowledge on Rackspace. 4th was again technical and about rackspace related questions. Detailed interview process as happened: 4 hour interview: 1. Reverse a string without using pre-existing methods or functions in Ptyhon. 2. Given a nxn matrix with conditions a. numbers from left to right always increases at any given row. b. numbers from top to bottom at any given column. c. Have a class for this matrix which has 3 methods, Method A: gives the row count of the matrix, Method B: gives the column count, Method C: takes row index and column index, and grid as input and returns the value in in it. Question: Check if the given number is present in the given matrix. how will you use the condition given(points a, b), to avoid iterating through each and every index. 3. What is Singleton class and how will you implement it in Python. 4. Given a Google Maps product, how will you write the test exit criteria. 5. Questions from the product that you worked on like how will you design a automation framework for testing. 6. What is Rackspace, what are their product, why did you choose Rackspace as your next employer. 7. Why are you leaving your job? 8. Challenge that you faced recently in your framework development and how did you fixed it. 9. What are the things that you would consider before designing a framework. 10. Given the documentation of a test requirement, how will you interact with team and what steps would you follow to proceed with testing. 11. Tell about the problem that you had with your co-worker and how did you overcome. 12. how would you validate which framework(custom designed or the existing framework-TestNG, unitest) is better. 13. Given an authentication scenario, what are the possible test cases that would write. 14. What are the steps that you would follow to before testing. 15. After writing a test case and automating, what are the steps you would do then as a Tester? 16. As a QE person, what is your objective on the product? 17. When you found a defect, what will you do then? 18. You found a defect that is not consistent, how will you convince the developer to fix that defect? 19. What questions do you have for us? 20. Python - Given a Class with a constructor and a few methods in it, how will you find the number of hits of a particular method in a class.

Interview Questions

• It was quite easy with algorithm related questions and nothing was not expected.   Answer Question

NAS Engineer-After Hours Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rackspace (Austin, TX) in July 2014.

Interview

I researched a lot about rackspace, & decided to apply online process took less than two weeks(very fast) Initial contact from HR (went well) & forwarded my resume to hiring manager Scheduled for technical phone screening interview phone screen(high level technical questions, interviewers-two senior engineers)(went well) Scheduled for In-person interview flown in for in person interview(previous experience, behavioral, situational, high level technical questions)(Interviewers - two hiring managers, two senior engineers) Awesome recruiter Awesome interviewers overall Loved the experience Feedback within one week of in person interview Recruiter said team loved me but for the lack of some of the technical skills will pursue with other candidate at this time and will contact me if a new position relevant to my experience opens up.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions as I am still in learning phase of my career   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Rackspace (Austin, TX) in March 2014.

Interview

I spoke to the HR Generalist over the phone for the initial phone screen then visited on site for a One day interview process. Involved 2 groups (3-5 people each) interviewing you, first group including the hiring manager, second group including team members.

Linux Systems Administrator I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Rackspace (Austin, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

The first interview I had was on the phone, with the recruiter. She asked me basic questions about previous work history, current work experience - Nothing too difficult or technical here. She then bounced me around to another recruiter, who later set me up with another phone interview. The second phone interview was with a manager from Austin Rackspace. So there was some technical discussion involved - basic Linux / bash, iptables, resource usage troubleshooting, how to find information about the system and so forth. This is not very difficult if you have relevant experience. The manager, after determining that you are technically proficient enough, will set you up (through the recruiter) for a TrueAbility test. TrueAbility allows you to log onto a server set up exclusively for Rackspace technical questions (traditionally called a "break box" fix or test). The server was Centos and the questions were mostly about Apache2, Postfix, PHP, and mySQL. Please be expected to identify / edit / fix each service's configuration files. You will also need to utilize basic bash / mysql cli skills in this test (for example, how to place all incoming TCP connections into a file; or, how to import/export databases from mysql cli). I had one hour to work on this. As you are by yourself, you can Google as needed. Each follow-up from Rackspace took about a week or a week and a half through the recruiter via email. My new recruiter let me know that they'd like to see me in person. So, I was set up with my 4th interview in person, in the Austin office. Prior to this, you have to set up a "racker talent" online profile where you essentially fill in another official application. This interview was by far the most difficult. It was three hours long, and consisted of two 1.5 hour interviews with three people each. The first section of people were all admins, higher tier. They had me sit on a company laptop which was hooked up to a TV in an interviewing office. From there, they had me enter screen and asked me some Linux quiz-like questions; their expectation is to have you display as much as skill as possible. Be prepared for scrutiny. They will ask you additional technical questions, i.e. to elaborate on a particular command, or to explain what something would be used for in a real-life situation. If you are not familiar with x, but you bring up x anyways, they may prod you to make sure you REALLY understand what it is you're talking about. To some degree, I suspect they are trying to understand technical limits. Do your homework! And if you're really not sure, say so; we are all human, after all. I learned a few things after walking away from this interview for sure. The second half of the interview was their HR team; they asked about customer relationships, and how you handle yourself in certain environments, as well as what steps you'd take in particular situations. Example: What would you do if you accidentally deleted a customer's database, even if you could restore it in 30 seconds? Or: If you had to reboot a customer's server to resolve an issue, how would you handle that? I didn't get an offer after this interview - I got a voicemail stating they'd made a decision, and that other candidates were chosen. This was understandable because of some lack of technical knowledge. Three months later, a recruiter contacted me, inquiring about another phone interview. They wanted to give me a 2nd chance since I'd made a good impression the first time around. The phone interview was nothing special, just re-hashing everything I'd gone through and discussed so far with the team. On the same call, the recruiter set up another in-person interview in the Austin office. The interview was still three hours. However, this time I had three one-hour sessions with two people each hour. Instead of having technical and relationship questions separated, all three sessions combined the subjects. For some questions there was a whiteboard - "Draw me an example of a basic Apache VirtualHost." "If you had all the money in the world, what kind of servers would you set up and why?" Other questions that I remember: "If a customer stated their website was slow, what exact steps would you do to troubleshoot it?" "If a website was reported as completely 'down', what would you do?" There are many "stream of consciousness" technical questions like these - they can be very open to interpretation. Don't feel obliged to reply perfectly, just tell them what you'd do, and how you'd do it. Of course, there are also questions such as, "Are you familiar with our products, and can you explain them to us?" "What do you know about load balancing?" "Have you worked with mySQL replication?" About a week and a half later, the recruiter called me back with an offer which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• "If you had all the money in the world, what kind of servers would you set up and why? Draw it for us."   Answer Question

Program Manager II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Rackspace (Austin, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

The interview process was long, tedious and ultimately fruitless. My application for an open position was replied to promptly, but communication was slow for the next five(!) weeks. I was ultimately interviewed by 8-10 people over the course of 3 phone interviews and 2 onsite interviews. The results of the panel interview were said to be positive. One ding against me was one member felt I was too intellectual for the culture. Ultimately, after waiting for 10 days following the final interview I was told that they liked me, but simply had nothing at Rackspace Austin for me.

Interview Questions

• There was not a singular difficult or unexpected question. The interview questions were not generally not technical in nature, given the position I was interviewing for.   Answer Question

Linux Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Rackspace (Austin, TX) in October 2013.

Interview

Recruiter quickly responded after my application in setting up an initial phone screener in which I was quizzed on things like commands, common ports, DNS, and then I was scheduled to complete an online TrueAbility test. After the test, I was given a phone interview and live break/fix, which I did not do as well on and was not selected for any further interviews.

Interview Questions

• One difficult question was monitoring incoming pings.   1 Answer

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Rackspace (Austin, TX) in September 2013.

Interview

I applied to Rackspace via their website, and didn't have any inside connections to the company. After about a week someone at Rackspace requested a phone screening, which happened a few days later. The phone interview wasn't anything out of the ordinary, I met with 2 Rackers and we spoke for about 30 minutes. Following the interview my initial contact told me that Rackspace would like to have me in for an interview. The interview was 3 1-hour panels, each with 3 interviewers. Over the course of the three hours I was asked an array of questions about my work history, personality, but nothing out of the ordinary. The Rackers I met with were all incredibly friendly, and there was nothing intimidating about our conversations. They tried to make me feel as comfortable as possible, and I really enjoyed the experience. Following the interviews I was given a tour of the office, which looked like a fantastic place to work. I was contacted by the recruiter a few days later to tell me that I wasn't selected for the job. It was pretty disappointing, as I was incredibly excited for the opportunity and had my fingers crossed. In the end there were simply people who were better qualified than I was, and there are only so many available positions. I will likely pursue other opportunities at Rackspace in the future.