Rackspace Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2015

3.3

Network Security Administrative I Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Rackspace.

Interview

Received message from Rackspace on LinkedIn in regards to an open position, exchanged e-mails with Rackspace. Sent my contact information to Rackspace as per their request. The interview was extremely technical, they throw the kitchen sink at you (metaphorically) to gauge your level of networking knowledge and how you react under pressure.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any experience with firewalls or load balancing protocls?   Answer Question

Exchange Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Rackspace (Austin, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

Rackspace doesn't send an email they just flat out call you unexpectedly and ask if you have time to do a technical interview on the spot. They don't really give you a heads up on anything just be prepared to interview right away.

Interview Questions

• Not In particular order:

Name SSL Port
      Name POP3 Port
      Name IMAP Port
      Describe items used within IIS
      What are some components that are used in IIS
      Describe the steps of installing Exchange
      Describe the four parts of an Exchange server

Answer Question

Software Developer III Interview

Interview

It was not too difficult. Had to go through 3 interviews. First one involved delivery managers interview. Next involved talking to the team. Team was mostly focused on algorithms.

Interview Questions

• It was not too difficult. Had to go through 3 interviews. First one involved delivery managers interview. Next invovled talking to the team. Team was mostly focused on algorithms.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Rackspace in May 2015.

Interview

First part was the phone interview.
    Know your basic AD functions, TCP ports, DNS, Windows Web hosting essentials, MSSQL essentials (ports, files, extensions, administrator usernames).

Second part was the break fix scenario, you will be monitored for how useful you are at searching for information as the test is an open book test. This picks up and adds more things from the phone interview, think of the phone interview as a table of contents of all things to come after the phone interview.

Third part of the process is face to face interviews with members of the team and managers.
    Members of the team will test you on all topics discussed on the phone interview.
    Be ready to explain your butt off. If you want to make good money, know more than the essentials, know all there is about all topics covered on the phone interview:
    DNS
    AD (FSMO roles, functions)
    Server Roles
    MSSQL
    Ports
    Terminal Servers
    Networking (ports, NAT, sub-netting, Firewalls, static routes, VPN)
    Clustering
    Storage (HBA, SAN, DAS, NAS, RAID)

The Manager's interview process like others have said is to see how you will fit with the team and how your customer service is.

Overall, if you are a system administrator or are familiar with the tools in your day to day, it is a piece of cake, study all you can, and you can land a high position. If, however you are new to this, study the best you can, practice what you can and you will land at least a level 1 position.

Connect with everyone and you will get a call back!
    Also, customer service needs to be top notch, as Rackspace looks for "Fanatical Support" candidates.
    If you have the customer service skills, they will teach you as long as you are honest and know the basics of a system administrator.

Interview Questions

• What is a heartbeat in a cluster?   1 Answer

Customer Service Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

It was an online interview using Hirevue. 15 Pre-recorded questions are given to you and you are given 3 min each to respond which is then recorded. You are given 1 retry per question so you can use the first try to practice your answer and then perfect it with the second retry. There were also 2 'Essay" questions that require you to type in your answer, be prepared! I had my laptop set further away for the recorded interview questions and had to quickly adjust laptop closer to type which led to me losing about a min to type answer, there are no retry for these.

Interview Questions

• If you accidentally deleted a customers email account and knew there was no way you could get any information back how would you handle it and what would you do?   1 Answer

Partner Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

The whole process took about 2 weeks. I first had a phone interview with the recruiter and then a phone interview with the hiring manager. Then I was brought into the office for a panel interciew with various members of the Channel team. The recruiter communicated extremely well with me through the entire process.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Yes, I was able to negotiate and was made a very fair offer.

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Rackspace.

Interview

I applied and after 6 weeks was emailed by a recruiter. I scheduled to talk over the phone, and I never heard back from the recruiter. Very disappointed with Rackspace's recruiting effort.

Intern I Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Rackspace.

Interview

Was contacted for an interview rather quickly by HR. It was a phone interview and it was pretty basic in questions. Nothing particularly stood out. They went through my resume pretty much line by line and asked normal questions.

Interview Questions

• What did you learn from / can you tell me more about this on resume?   Answer Question

Windows Systems Administrator II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter within 9 hours of applying with my resume. Ended up taking four interviews total.[5 weeks] So if you are browsing here like I was mid-process, HAVE HOPE! Interviews will differ from position to position so make sure and focus on your core-area. They will drill your arsehole in the area which you are applying for(..expectedly) so prep as if it were an exam. However, do not script answers like a door-knob. Nobody likes that.

Interview Questions

• If we handed you the remote and we asked you to put something on the TV, what would you put on?   1 Answer

Software Developer In Test II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

There were two phone screens followed by a 5 hour onsite panel style interview. The panels consisted of 2-3 people per hour. The first few panels explore the depth of one's technical knowledge and the last panel is with managers. Managers ask the typical situational questions.

Interview Questions

• Given two strings how would you write a function to determine if string a is in string b and order matters? How would you test that function?   Answer Question
    • What's the difference between smoke and regression tests?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate.