Rackspace

207 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Representative Interview

San Antonio, TX

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Rackspace in March 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter a few days after submitting my resumé. The process was grueling and very, very long (over six weeks), I got almost no feedback, had to sit through a four hour interview and chase my recruiter to get details on upcoming step

Interview Question – The interviews were pretty improvised and a lot of questions were repeated by several interviewers, things like "why would you quit your current job?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – negotiations went smoothly. Ask a tad high and know they will lower.

Product Manager IV Interview

San Antonio, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Rackspace.

Interview Details – Asked to drive down to San Antonio only to find out that I would be interviewing over the phone with folks in Austin which is where I drove down from. All of the interviewers showed up late and I had to wait over 30 minutes just to get escorted to the interview room.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult more based what does IBM's technology look like vs Rackspace   Answer Question

Front End Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Rackspace in February 2014.

Interview Details – Within 24 hours of submitting my resume, a recruiter contacted me and asked me a couple of feeder questions such as "What is jQuery?" and what my strongest programming languages were.

Approximately 24 hours passed and I received an e-mail from the recruiter stating that they would like to set up a phone interview with the hiring manager.

I spoke with the hiring manager who asked me several questions about my personality and work style / habits. Overall, I felt that the conversation was friendly, inviting and lighthearted. I finished the phone interview feeling very positive about the process.

After the phone interview, I was sent a homework assignment, due in 24 hours that stressed things such as string manipulation, matrix traversal and overall programming ability. These questions were clearly defined and had a clearly-defined specification. I completed the homework assignment using Python and supplied a full unit-testing suite for each question I answered based upon the data given and a few corner cases that I thought of and submitted it approximately 4 hours ahead of it's due time.

I was scheduled for a two-hour Google Hangout interview with no fewer than 5 people present. I was asked about my thoughts on unit-testing, about some of the applications I’ve worked on and even down to what my favorite text editor was. After the interview, the hiring manager asked if I had any samples of my most recent work available. I told them that my most recent work is covered under a non-disclosure agreement with my current employer. In lieu of this, they asked if I’d be willing to complete a second homework assignment as a prerequisite to an onsite full-panel interview. I agreed and was given my choice of two scenarios, one of which would take 24 hours to complete and one which would take 48 hours to complete.

I chose the 24-hour scenario which was to implement a basic checklist application. Approximately 24 hours later, I had implemented the scenario according to the specifications given on the homework assignment. In retrospect, my implementation could have been better from an aesthetic perspective and could have used one or two more enhancements. However, my application was functional and I later discovered through conversation with the hiring manager, that many other candidates solutions didn’t actually work and several just copy/pasted solutions without understanding how they work.

Approximately 48 hours after I submitted the assignment, I received an e-mail from the recruiter saying that they were going to pass. The recruiter also provided a list of reasons why, which was unexpected, yet welcome. The reasons listed were that I had not fulfilled some invisible requirements such as providing an architectural diagram. There was no mention nor requirement of this on the specification given.

I e-mailed the recruiter and the hiring manager to thank them for their time. I also pointed out that if those unmentioned deliverables and aspects were desired, they should have been in the specification given to candidates to avoid ambiguity.

Approximately 24 hours later, the hiring manager contacted me and offered me the opportunity to complete the second scenario in the homework assignment as the prerequisite to the full-panel interview. I declined because I felt like I had already invested a significant amount of time and energy in the hiring process and that the level of ambiguity for the second assignment was just as high as the first, if not more so. In short, I felt that if they were still interested, I should have advanced to onsite interview.

Pros:
- I felt respected throughout the process.
- Everyone I spoke with at Rackspace was cordial, friendly, upfront and made me feel good about applying there.
- At no point did I ever feel like I was “just another applicant”.
- Overall, the process was very fast.
- I liked that I was told the reasons for rejection rather than just the boilerplate, “You’re not a good fit for this role.” It is such a rarity in this industry.

Cons:
- The level of ambiguity for the second homework assignment was too high. Being rejected for unmentioned yet required deliverables is definitely a “gotcha”, despite being told that there are no gotchas.
- The idea of a homework assignment left me feeling like I was in college again and applying for an entry-level position.
- Being asked to do two separate homework assignments as a prerequisite to a full-panel interview seems like overkill.

Interview Question – Create a web-baesd application that allows a user to:
- Create a list of items
- Check items on the list as 'Complete'.
  Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Senior Manager
Blacksburg, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Rackspace in March 2014.

Interview Details – Very well run interview. Coordination of travel and expenses handled well. New location in Blacksburg is extremely impressive. Interview was well organized and good length. Included executive management, peers, and individual contributors.

Interview Question – Really nothing very difficult or unexpected. You need to know what is needed to make both Rackspace and yourself successful.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Straight forward and very professional. Give and take on both sides.

Intern Interview

Intern
San Antonio, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Rackspace.

Interview Details – They invited us to the Headquarters in San Antonio for a tour and interviews after the tour was finished.

Interview Question – They ask you many questions about how you handled certain situations. They also want you to tell them how you can contribute to the company.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Program Manager II Interview

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Rackspace in February 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process was long, tedious and ultimately fruitless. My application for an open position was replied to promptly, but communication was slow for the next five(!) weeks. I was ultimately interviewed by 8-10 people over the course of 3 phone interviews and 2 onsite interviews. The results of the panel interview were said to be positive. One ding against me was one member felt I was too intellectual for the culture. Ultimately, after waiting for 10 days following the final interview I was told that they liked me, but simply had nothing at Rackspace Austin for me.

Interview Question – There was not a singular difficult or unexpected question. The interview questions were not generally not technical in nature, given the position I was interviewing for.   Answer Question

Data Center Operations Technician Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Rackspace.

Interview Details – First step was over the phone with a Rackspace Recruiter. Next was hiring event with multiple candidates.

Senior Manager Interview

San Antonio, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Rackspace in April 2013.

Interview Details – Recruiting and the interview coordination was incredibly professional and candidate friendly. Communication was top notch from initial travel arrangements to follow up. The entire staff was polite and cordial. They were very accommodating and shared a high level of detail about the process before my arrival. I was pretty calm based on the information that they provided up front, as there weren't any surprises.

Interview Question – What would I do to make Rackspace a better place?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The process was pretty straight forward. I had already done my homework to calculate the decrease in cost-of-living and weight that against my situation. The recruiter was straight forward and let me know there wasn't much 'wiggle' room, but they did make a concession and meet my request half way. I was very pleased. My advice is to be careful with the amount of the 'ask'. Ask a tad high, knowing they will come down a bit.

Network Security Engineer Interview

Network Security Engineer

Interviewed at Rackspace

Interview Details – Received phone interview then was brought it for a face to face interview.

Interview Question – I did not receive an unexpected question   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Rackspace in December 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter for a phone interview. After that phone interview, they send you an Excel test which tests you on some advanced Excel functions. After passing that, I was setup for a onsite interview. I reached Rackspace at 9:50 AM for a 10 AM interview. The original room that was assigned for the interview was already occupied and was not expected to be free. So I and the hiring manager walked around that building for nearly 7 minutes before we could find a temporary room.

After a one minute introduction by the manager interviewing me, he straight away started asking me all sorts of logical questions. If I came up with an answer, he would also question my answer and try to make me second guess it. Then after 10 minutes, we were interrupted as the temporary room was assigned to another meeting. Then collected my files and once again walked around that building for 4 minutes before we could find another room. Then once again logical and probability questions were asked. The manager was extremely unfriendly, downright rude and had no respect for my opinions and answers. I felt like he was always trying to trip me up with his follow-up questions.

Next, that second temporary room was booked for a meeting by another party, so once again we were interrupted and had to again walk around for 4 minutes before we found a third interview room. Once again the barrage of logical questions started. After a few minutes another manager joined. He asked me maybe one or two questions, that too the same ones that the previous manager asked. The interview lasted around eight minutes after this second manager joined. I could tell within the first fifteen minutes of the interview that I was going nowhere with this interview.

In summary, this was the most disorganized, distracting, difficult, demeaning and discouraging interview I have ever attended and this Company toots its horn about FANATICAL service! The hiring manager was distracted, rude and disinterested throughout the interview. How about extending some basic courtesy and respect to prospective future employees?

Interview Question – There were no financial questions for a financial analyst position! All crazy logical questions. I understand one or two of these logical questions for a financial role is relevant, but delving only on these for the whole interview is overkill and does not serve any purpose.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Rackspace

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!

Rackspace Videos

Rackspace – Why Work for Us?

Rackspace Hosting is the world’s leading specialist in hosting and cloud computing. The San Antonio-based company provides Fanatical Support® to its customers, across a portfolio of IT services, including Managed… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rackspace interview questions and advice. All 207 interview reviews posted anonymously by Rackspace employees and interview candidates.