Rackspace

Updated Feb 23, 2015
Updated Feb 23, 2015

3.3

Linux Systems Administrator I Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Rackspace in January 2015.

Hiring and interview process was easy and everyone seemed really friendly. I felt like I nailed every interview but got denied for the position anyway because someone else was more qualified.

Rackspace recruiters contacted me the first time for a DevOps position and they denied me for that position after getting my hopes up. Then they flew me out a second time the for Linux Administrator position and denied me the second time. I'm not letting this company waste anymore of my time.

Interview Questions
    • During the in person interview they asked some crazy off the wall scenario that I had never experienced before and therefore couldn't answer... nothing a little research wouldn't have solved.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Rackspace in January 2015.

Saw them at university recruiting, got a call from them a couple months later. Phone screen, dev test project, then on-site interview. There were 3 panel-style interview rounds with a mix of technical and behavioral. I thought the questions were generally easy, no real algorithm coding questions or anything. Not quite as technical as a lot of other companies. I thought I killed the interviews overall since I was able to answer most of their questions, but I assume I didn't get the offer due to not being a great 'culture fit'. It seems that people that at Rackspace have part of their identity tied into the company and very strictly abide by some core values. I wasn't terribly intersted in working for the company, so I didn't really do my research on the companies values / current products / etc. I think that's what got me, they care a lot about the non-technical parts, from what it seems.

Software Developer II Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Rackspace.

The first step was on campus screening. Then was given a dev test to complete within 48 hours. After that was invited for interview on site.
    There were several rounds of interview with a mix of technical and behavioral questions. The technical questions were problem solving and object oriented based.

Data Center Operations Tech II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Rackspace.

Panels. Relevant questions. Skill testing. They really want to make sure they're hiring someone that is fully capable of the job. As long as you're experienced in the same field, it should be a no brainer most of the time

Interview Questions
    • Demonstrate from start to finish how you will plan, prep, rack and cable this device.   View Answer

Linux Systems Administrator I Interview

Initial interview, very basic and probably easy for someone with any sort of formal education with Linux command line. The interviewer was very courteous, which made my utter inability to pass the initial interview that much more frustrating. Remember: if working with something becomes reflexive in day-to-day work, you may be unable to answer basic questions about it, similar to how a native speaker of a language doesn't think about the grammatical rules underpinning his or her sentences.

Interview Questions
    • Having worked in a very specific Linux shop for awhile, I couldn't answer basic questions in this interview without having a terminal in front of me. Think for a second before passing on any questions, or you will feel like an idiot.   Answer Question

Software Developer IV Interview

The overall interview process was great. Rackspace works hard to get employees regardless of where they exist in the country. Remote workers are encouraged and the HQ is a great place as well. Expect to answer technical questions and provide some code. Also be prepared to talk about any open source projects you may have been involved in. They are looking for opensource developers, but also don't shy away from experienced professionals who work in closed communities.

Interview Questions
    • If you could fix one thing in all your coding experiences, what would it be and why?   Answer Question
    Negotiation was a little difficult, but professional.

Product Marketing Manager Interview

I interviewed with approximately 8 Marketing leaders. All asked about my experience with Sales enablement, collateral development, and running campaigns. I can't recall the specific questions, but they probed quite a bit on my technical ability. After the first round of interviews, I had lunch with the hiring manager. The offer was for a bit less than I was hoping to receive so I negotiated the salary up roughly 5% and got some stock options.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were fairly routine. No case scenario questions in my case   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

One, hour-long interview, with one semi-difficult question about BSTs.
    Onsite - question about object oriented design.
    Nothing too difficult, but they really want new hires to start out at their HQs which is in San Antonio, TX. :/

Windows Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Rackspace in November 2014.

I am very disappointed with the professionalism of our local Rackspace recruiters (San Antonio, TX). There have been two times where I was scheduled to have a phone interview with one of the recruiters, which required me to take time from my regular work day. BOTH times (these were two separate applications) he did not call at the appointed time, nor did he bother to send at least a professional form letter explaining that we would not be interviewing.

If this is the level of professionalism displayed by Rackspace, I will feel blessed that I have not been able to interview; & will henceforth understand part of the reason why there are always SO many open positions with this company. I just wanted to share in case this is happening often, & someone at Rackspace cares about the level of professionalism shown to potential employees. As for me, I will never again seek to be a 'racker'.

Interview Questions
    • None, as interviewer flaked on appointments on two separate occasions.   Answer Question

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Rackspace in October 2014.

Initial phone screen by Account Manager went well. Per AC, I have all the qualifications and a phone interview has been scheduled with Rackspace. They went on to say that they were not for sure exactly what this position would be responsible for. I asked why have Project Managers left before and who wouldn't be a good fit.