Rackspace

Updated Dec 14, 2014
Updated Dec 14, 2014

3.3

Linux Systems Administrator I Interview

Initial interview, very basic and probably easy for someone with any sort of formal education with Linux command line. The interviewer was very courteous, which made my utter inability to pass the initial interview that much more frustrating. Remember: if working with something becomes reflexive in day-to-day work, you may be unable to answer basic questions about it, similar to how a native speaker of a language doesn't think about the grammatical rules underpinning his or her sentences.

Interview Questions
    • Having worked in a very specific Linux shop for awhile, I couldn't answer basic questions in this interview without having a terminal in front of me. Think for a second before passing on any questions, or you will feel like an idiot.   Answer Question

Software Developer IV Interview

The overall interview process was great. Rackspace works hard to get employees regardless of where they exist in the country. Remote workers are encouraged and the HQ is a great place as well. Expect to answer technical questions and provide some code. Also be prepared to talk about any open source projects you may have been involved in. They are looking for opensource developers, but also don't shy away from experienced professionals who work in closed communities.

Interview Questions
    • If you could fix one thing in all your coding experiences, what would it be and why?   Answer Question
    Negotiation was a little difficult, but professional.

Product Marketing Manager Interview

I interviewed with approximately 8 Marketing leaders. All asked about my experience with Sales enablement, collateral development, and running campaigns. I can't recall the specific questions, but they probed quite a bit on my technical ability. After the first round of interviews, I had lunch with the hiring manager. The offer was for a bit less than I was hoping to receive so I negotiated the salary up roughly 5% and got some stock options.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were fairly routine. No case scenario questions in my case   Answer Question

Windows Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Rackspace in November 2014.

I am very disappointed with the professionalism of our local Rackspace recruiters (San Antonio, TX). There have been two times where I was scheduled to have a phone interview with one of the recruiters, which required me to take time from my regular work day. BOTH times (these were two separate applications) he did not call at the appointed time, nor did he bother to send at least a professional form letter explaining that we would not be interviewing.

If this is the level of professionalism displayed by Rackspace, I will feel blessed that I have not been able to interview; & will henceforth understand part of the reason why there are always SO many open positions with this company. I just wanted to share in case this is happening often, & someone at Rackspace cares about the level of professionalism shown to potential employees. As for me, I will never again seek to be a 'racker'.

Interview Questions
    • None, as interviewer flaked on appointments on two separate occasions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

One, hour-long interview, with one semi-difficult question about BSTs.
    Onsite - question about object oriented design.
    Nothing too difficult, but they really want new hires to start out at their HQs which is in San Antonio, TX. :/

Beginning the Interview Process for Senior Project Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Rackspace in October 2014.

Initial phone screen by Account Manager went well. Per AC, I have all the qualifications and a phone interview has been scheduled with Rackspace. They went on to say that they were not for sure exactly what this position would be responsible for. I asked why have Project Managers left before and who wouldn't be a good fit.

Intern I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Rackspace in October 2014.

The recruiter came and did a presentation on campus and told us to email her our resumes. A few weeks later I was invited to come interview at their headquarters in San Antonio, TX. Once you are there, they give you a tour of the Castle and let you get a feel for the culture. Then we did interviews that was set up similar to speed dating. They had tables for every candidate lain out in a big room. Then we had four, 30 minute interviews with different rackers.

Interview Questions
    • The interviews were all behavioral, so it was not too difficult. They just want to get to know you and how you interact with others.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Rackspace in October 2014.

Recruiter contacted me by phone and phone interview was scheduled in less than 3 days. After that I was called for on-site interview in Austin,Tx which is 4 hours interview, split as 4 each with 1 hour and 2 people. First 2 round was technical in Python, Test planning, Test case scenarios, 3rd was managerial - trying to understand the attitude and about my knowledge on Rackspace. 4th was again technical and about rackspace related questions.

Detailed interview process as happened:
    4 hour interview:

1. Reverse a string without using pre-existing methods or functions in Ptyhon.
    2. Given a nxn matrix with conditions
        a. numbers from left to right always increases at any given row.
        b. numbers from top to bottom at any given column.
        c. Have a class for this matrix which has 3 methods, Method A: gives the row count of the matrix, Method B: gives the column count, Method C: takes row index and column index, and grid as input and returns the value in in it.
        Question: Check if the given number is present in the given matrix.
                  how will you use the condition given(points a, b), to avoid iterating through each and every index.
    3. What is Singleton class and how will you implement it in Python.
    4. Given a Google Maps product, how will you write the test exit criteria.
    5. Questions from the product that you worked on like how will you design a automation framework for testing.
    6. What is Rackspace, what are their product, why did you choose Rackspace as your next employer.
    7. Why are you leaving your job?
    8. Challenge that you faced recently in your framework development and how did you fixed it.
    9. What are the things that you would consider before designing a framework.
    10. Given the documentation of a test requirement, how will you interact with team and what steps would you follow to proceed with testing.
    11. Tell about the problem that you had with your co-worker and how did you overcome.
    12. how would you validate which framework(custom designed or the existing framework-TestNG, unitest) is better.
    13. Given an authentication scenario, what are the possible test cases that would write.
    14. What are the steps that you would follow to before testing.
    15. After writing a test case and automating, what are the steps you would do then as a Tester?
    16. As a QE person, what is your objective on the product?
    17. When you found a defect, what will you do then?
    18. You found a defect that is not consistent, how will you convince the developer to fix that defect?
    19. What questions do you have for us?
    20. Python - Given a Class with a constructor and a few methods in it, how will you find the number of hits of a particular method in a class.

Interview Questions
    • It was quite easy with algorithm related questions and nothing was not expected.   Answer Question

Expense Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Overall interview process took close to 4 weeks. First step was a quick phone conversation with a recruiter, then a video interview with hiring manager. Then was called for a group interview with 8 people total, 2 an hour. It was a long afternoon but it was insightful to get a feel for the people that work there, the work environment and a brief tour of the work area. It is a large company but everyone is on the same playing field. No one has an office, everyone is in cubes. They are big on having a good work environment and their employees being adaptable to the fast pace work that takes place.

Interview Questions
    • most unexpected question was "How will you start out your first week with the group?"   Answer Question

Senior Manager/Head Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Rackspace.

Very lengthy process
    genereally 2 phone screens followed by F2F onsite that has pair of interviewers. I have a panel of 5 or 6 pairs of interviewers. People are very polite and respectful. They focus on technical, behavioral aptitude.
    Nothing out of context, pretty much average management interview. They do take you around their San Antonio Campus.

They offered me lower than what I was making. After some negotiation we made it at par.