Rackspace

3.3

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Rackspace in October 2014.

Recruiter contacted me by phone and phone interview was scheduled in less than 3 days. After that I was called for on-site interview in Austin,Tx which is 4 hours interview, split as 4 each with 1 hour and 2 people. First 2 round was technical in Python, Test planning, Test case scenarios, 3rd was managerial - trying to understand the attitude and about my knowledge on Rackspace. 4th was again technical and about rackspace related questions.

Detailed interview process as happened:
    4 hour interview:

1. Reverse a string without using pre-existing methods or functions in Ptyhon.
    2. Given a nxn matrix with conditions
        a. numbers from left to right always increases at any given row.
        b. numbers from top to bottom at any given column.
        c. Have a class for this matrix which has 3 methods, Method A: gives the row count of the matrix, Method B: gives the column count, Method C: takes row index and column index, and grid as input and returns the value in in it.
        Question: Check if the given number is present in the given matrix.
                  how will you use the condition given(points a, b), to avoid iterating through each and every index.
    3. What is Singleton class and how will you implement it in Python.
    4. Given a Google Maps product, how will you write the test exit criteria.
    5. Questions from the product that you worked on like how will you design a automation framework for testing.
    6. What is Rackspace, what are their product, why did you choose Rackspace as your next employer.
    7. Why are you leaving your job?
    8. Challenge that you faced recently in your framework development and how did you fixed it.
    9. What are the things that you would consider before designing a framework.
    10. Given the documentation of a test requirement, how will you interact with team and what steps would you follow to proceed with testing.
    11. Tell about the problem that you had with your co-worker and how did you overcome.
    12. how would you validate which framework(custom designed or the existing framework-TestNG, unitest) is better.
    13. Given an authentication scenario, what are the possible test cases that would write.
    14. What are the steps that you would follow to before testing.
    15. After writing a test case and automating, what are the steps you would do then as a Tester?
    16. As a QE person, what is your objective on the product?
    17. When you found a defect, what will you do then?
    18. You found a defect that is not consistent, how will you convince the developer to fix that defect?
    19. What questions do you have for us?
    20. Python - Given a Class with a constructor and a few methods in it, how will you find the number of hits of a particular method in a class.

Interview Questions
    • It was quite easy with algorithm related questions and nothing was not expected.   Answer Question

Expense Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Overall interview process took close to 4 weeks. First step was a quick phone conversation with a recruiter, then a video interview with hiring manager. Then was called for a group interview with 8 people total, 2 an hour. It was a long afternoon but it was insightful to get a feel for the people that work there, the work environment and a brief tour of the work area. It is a large company but everyone is on the same playing field. No one has an office, everyone is in cubes. They are big on having a good work environment and their employees being adaptable to the fast pace work that takes place.

Interview Questions
    • most unexpected question was "How will you start out your first week with the group?"   Answer Question

Senior Manager/Head Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Rackspace.

Very lengthy process
    genereally 2 phone screens followed by F2F onsite that has pair of interviewers. I have a panel of 5 or 6 pairs of interviewers. People are very polite and respectful. They focus on technical, behavioral aptitude.
    Nothing out of context, pretty much average management interview. They do take you around their San Antonio Campus.

They offered me lower than what I was making. After some negotiation we made it at par.

Software Developer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Rackspace in September 2014.

Contact made through a recruiter. Phone interview went well, could tell the interviewer was not very experienced. Couple of questions were confusing because of terminology mix up.

Went into the technical interview, which was a four hour process. Several technical interview questions that were from CS 101 classes, Binary trees, searches, Sorts, Data Structures etc. Second meeting was with managers. They mainly vented about frustration with corporate culture, little unprofessional, but what the heck. Second management meeting, they also vented frustrations about culture and inability for upper management to make decisions. By the third interview, I had decided that this was probably not a great fit for me. The fourth interview was technical and had nothing to do with any experience I had on my resume. Was asked if I knew how memory was mapped by the Java virtual machine. Pretty much looked the interviewer in the eye and said "Nope!". Decided I would not be giving up my day job to make a move to Rackspace.

If you really want to work there, I suggest pulling out your Data Structures book and some go through some algorithm review. Best of luck.

Interview Questions

The corporate culture is a little to chaotic. It felt a little to unstable.

Product Marketing Manager II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Rackspace in September 2014.

9 Interviews, pretty simple. They kinda loved me anyway since I came from another *large search company based out of Mountain View*. The interviews were pretty straight forward, very friendly. I was easily able to have a conversation with everyone vs. "Here are 20 questions". Finding a start date was the most difficult part. It HAS to be a Monday, it HAS to be after we clear every minute detail of your background, it HAS to be 70* and sunny.

From the day they made the offer to my start date was about 30 days. If you're in dire straights and looking for quick work, Rackspace may not be an easy cookie to crack. I'm in a pretty senior level position, so maybe it's just me.

Interview Questions
    • What's your Go-To-Market for a Microwave in 1950? The time period threw me off a little bit.   Answer Question
    Negotiated Base pay only, nothing else was negotiable. Bummer.

Software Development Engineer and Test Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Rackspace.

I did pretty well in the phone interview. I thought I would be called for Onsite but when I checked with them after a week , they said not fit for the position.

Interview Questions
    • What is your career goal? This is not difficult per say but didn't expect it to be asked by other tester.   Answer Question

Channel Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Rackspace.

You will be interviewing for less senior roles unless you know someone. Senior roles are typically filled by the hiring manager’s unqualified friends who will not have to go through the same number of interviews nor interview process. You will start with a recruiter phone interview, then with a panel of ‘know-it-all’ managers (who don’t manage anyone) and ask surprisingly illegal questions, and if you already know the hiring manager then you will speak to them. Sad waste of time. Expect nearly all interviewers to be late or not show. There’s a reason there are so many openings...

Interview Questions
    • Far from scripted and the interviewers will be unprepared.   Answer Question
    Everything is negotiable. Everything. Know what you want and counter offer.

Intern II Interview

I saw Rackspace at a career fair last spring, and decided to talk to one of their recruiters. Things went well and I was asked to do an interview the next day. It was pretty short, no more than 15 minutes. Mostly behavioral questions and technical questions were asked. A few more interviews followed after that.

Latin America Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Rackspace.

I had one phone interview and the person who interviewed me was nice and it had a good flow but they never contacted me back. I should have prepared better anyways. I might have gotten in trouble when I walked them through my resume.

Interview Questions
    • If you could pick one stock today, which one would it be?   Answer Question

Account Management Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Rackspace.

One round so far - a phone call. Pretty friendly experience directly with the group manager. I expected to talk to an HR/recruiting rep. Process is still ongoing. When I admitted that I might not be a fully-qualified candidate, manager seemed grateful and honest when stating that it has generally been a tough process on their end to find someone who meets all the requirements.

Interview Questions
    • None - it was a pretty casual conversation. I was pleasantly surprised when manager asked me for my reaction to his sales strategy.   Answer Question