Rackspace Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2014

3.4

Linux Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Rackspace in December 2013.

I first completed two phone interviews upon starting the process. First one seemed to be formalities about myself and some basic work history. Second phone interview was much more technical about working with Linux, some DNS, as well as what other applicable skills I had.

Afterward, I was given a breakfix through the TrueAbility website. This is an automated system that gives you a set number of things to fix and the grades it automatically. HR people can view your recorded session in case there are scoring anomalies. These tests are designed to be hard so it's okay to only get a few things correct; it is used to see where you would best fit in.

Finally, I made it to the in-person interviews. They are as difficult as others here are expressing. I interviewed at the Rackspace offices on three separate occasions spanning a couple of months. Each interview day consisted of at least two smaller interviews. In total, counting phone interviews and each individual interview from the blocks, I was interviewed by the company NINE times.

(A sidenote: I took the job, but I was not offered a Linux Admin role. There was some turbulence with training and placement so I took another position instead. Regardless, I still got a job!)

Interview Questions
    • Many. Generally, they test your knowledge by asking you questions until they get an "I don't know" answer. This lets them know where your skills rest, and then they will ask you to take an educated guess to the "I don't know" based upon what you do know.   Answer Question
    I used averages provided here on Glassdoor to negotiate a salary. Because this would be my first IT job I suggested the average calculated here as my starting income. This was agreeable.

Linux Systems Administrator I Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Rackspace in June 2013.

It was very difficult. I had to do a phone interview which was to see if I was a good fit for the company. Then I had to do a break fix so they can see what I possess skill wise. Break fix is very hard and is not meant for you to complete or ace.

Interview Questions
    • They had me stand up and write on the white board the Linux ABC's in 60 seconds and specify what each command does in a terminal window.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Rackspace in August 2011.

Had three interviews of two people each. About an hour long. There was a technical, culture, and management interview.
    The technical was fun, detailed, the interviewers were all very clever, but casual. We laughed a bit.
    The management interview was a little more straight laced, going over the resume etc.
    Culture talked about what I was like to work with, things I liked doing out side of work. I really enjoyed that they discussed what the work culture was like, and how we bring our full selves into the company, rather than just our work.

Interview Questions
    • In perspective, the hardest question Rackspace asks is "What makes a good culture?"
      I think the company believes that you should hire smart, good people first, and empower them to make the company better. If you can't imagine how you want to work, and what a good culture is, you probably won't be a good fit.
        Answer Question

Vmware Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Rackspace in December 2013.

The recruiter contacted me and said that they would get me in touch with someone to interview with. However, once they found out that I was not hired for a Linux Administrator job (because I was told they had a bad quarter and wouldn't be hiring anyone) - - the recruiters of this company automatically stop talking to you and ignore you permanently.

Windows Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Rackspace in March 2012.

I was referred by a friend, and then I had a phone screening that focused on some items that a windows administrator should be familiar with. Finally, I had a long technical interview that covered Windows in detail as well as networking, hardware, and hosting company technologies.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't familiar with all of the devices they used, but I understood their basic functions.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months - interviewed at Rackspace in July 2012.

Initial e-mail contact first to request an interview. Follow up phone call from HR scheduling an interview. The interview process is grueling and takes 4 - 5 hours in person. I had a total of 3 interviews over a span of 3 months before I finally received an offer. The teams doing the interview had no idea what the position entailed and did not ask the right questions IMO. It's the worst interview process ever.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to explain the strategy for the project.   View Answer
    Definitely negotiate a higher wage. Also, do NOT lowball yourself when they ask you what salary range you're looking for. I was told after I got hired that my 'salary range' was laughed at by the HR recruiter and he didn't feel I was qualified because of the number that I gave.

Account Manager III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Rackspace.

I had one phone interview and one in person interview. Interview process professional but light hearted. It was an efficient interview to get to know who I am as a person and if I was a good fit for the culture.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, I'd take anything just to work at Rackspace at that time.

DCOps Technician I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through other source - interviewed at Rackspace.

Awesome, long, somewhat boring. Great people. They REALLY drill your resume so be prepared

Interview Questions
    • Nothing entirely difficult to answer, if you know what you're applying for, you shouldn't have a problem anyways.   Answer Question

BI Developer II Interview

Applied through internal referral and got an email the next business day to set up first phone screening. After this call, the recruiter then scheduled me to technical phone screening with the managers of the department I applied for. Lastly, there was a 2-3 hours long rounds of interview with 3 different people - the director of the department, the managers from phone screen and a person that assisted with behavioral interview. Great experience overall. Be prepared to take a SQL assessment.

Interview Questions
    • Be familiar with basic SQL functions. And be honest if you don't know the answer.   View Answer

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Rackspace in November 2013.

Great experience with the HR team, extremely service-full and with a very humane touch. The interview experience was handled by crafted and talented individuals with honest concerns, interest in my persona and intelligent down to earth questions.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in the company? This question was not unexpected, just believed that the company already new the answer to the question. It is important to be prepared to answer this question in a way that does not jeopardise your candidacy if the company was thinking of using your talent in a different manner.   View Answer