Rackspace

Updated Dec 14, 2014
Updated Dec 14, 2014

3.3

BI Developer II Interview

Applied through internal referral and got an email the next business day to set up first phone screening. After this call, the recruiter then scheduled me to technical phone screening with the managers of the department I applied for. Lastly, there was a 2-3 hours long rounds of interview with 3 different people - the director of the department, the managers from phone screen and a person that assisted with behavioral interview. Great experience overall. Be prepared to take a SQL assessment.

Interview Questions
    • Be familiar with basic SQL functions. And be honest if you don't know the answer.   View Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Rackspace in December 2013.

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter for a phone interview. After that phone interview, they send you an Excel test which tests you on some advanced Excel functions. After passing that, I was setup for a onsite interview. I reached Rackspace at 9:50 AM for a 10 AM interview. The original room that was assigned for the interview was already occupied and was not expected to be free. So I and the hiring manager walked around that building for nearly 7 minutes before we could find a temporary room.

After a one minute introduction by the manager interviewing me, he straight away started asking me all sorts of logical questions. If I came up with an answer, he would also question my answer and try to make me second guess it. Then after 10 minutes, we were interrupted as the temporary room was assigned to another meeting. Then collected my files and once again walked around that building for 4 minutes before we could find another room. Then once again logical and probability questions were asked. The manager was extremely unfriendly, downright rude and had no respect for my opinions and answers. I felt like he was always trying to trip me up with his follow-up questions.

Next, that second temporary room was booked for a meeting by another party, so once again we were interrupted and had to again walk around for 4 minutes before we found a third interview room. Once again the barrage of logical questions started. After a few minutes another manager joined. He asked me maybe one or two questions, that too the same ones that the previous manager asked. The interview lasted around eight minutes after this second manager joined. I could tell within the first fifteen minutes of the interview that I was going nowhere with this interview.

In summary, this was the most disorganized, distracting, difficult, demeaning and discouraging interview I have ever attended and this Company toots its horn about FANATICAL service! The hiring manager was distracted, rude and disinterested throughout the interview. How about extending some basic courtesy and respect to prospective future employees?

Interview Questions
    • There were no financial questions for a financial analyst position! All crazy logical questions. I understand one or two of these logical questions for a financial role is relevant, but delving only on these for the whole interview is overkill and does not serve any purpose.   Answer Question

Software Developer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Rackspace in December 2013.

I had a very positive interview process but was involved with interviewing other candidates. Some of those interviews were not conducted in what I consider a pleasant manner. This could be because I had a huge portfolio and lots of code sample. We had a hard time finding good candidates.

Interview Questions
    • How would I convert an Array to an Object or vica-versa?   View Answer
    I was told I would have 10 days of vacation upon signing which was not the case. I was offered 10K less than market average and accepted because I was told historically the yearly bonus has been $20-$30K. This year it's $4K.

Contract Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Rackspace in December 2013.

There were numerous phone screens to go through to make sure you knew what you were talking about, then the inevitable drug test.

Interview Questions
    • They asked about some software that I had never heard of that they used in their deployment process.   View Answer
    I had a recruiter doing the negotiation for me. I gave her my bare minimum and she got me an extra $5/hr on top of that. Deacon Recruiting really is top-notch.

Vmware Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Rackspace in December 2013.

The recruiter contacted me and said that they would get me in touch with someone to interview with. However, once they found out that I was not hired for a Linux Administrator job (because I was told they had a bad quarter and wouldn't be hiring anyone) - - the recruiters of this company automatically stop talking to you and ignore you permanently.

Linux Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Rackspace in December 2013.

I first completed two phone interviews upon starting the process. First one seemed to be formalities about myself and some basic work history. Second phone interview was much more technical about working with Linux, some DNS, as well as what other applicable skills I had.

Afterward, I was given a breakfix through the TrueAbility website. This is an automated system that gives you a set number of things to fix and the grades it automatically. HR people can view your recorded session in case there are scoring anomalies. These tests are designed to be hard so it's okay to only get a few things correct; it is used to see where you would best fit in.

Finally, I made it to the in-person interviews. They are as difficult as others here are expressing. I interviewed at the Rackspace offices on three separate occasions spanning a couple of months. Each interview day consisted of at least two smaller interviews. In total, counting phone interviews and each individual interview from the blocks, I was interviewed by the company NINE times.

(A sidenote: I took the job, but I was not offered a Linux Admin role. There was some turbulence with training and placement so I took another position instead. Regardless, I still got a job!)

Interview Questions
    • Many. Generally, they test your knowledge by asking you questions until they get an "I don't know" answer. This lets them know where your skills rest, and then they will ask you to take an educated guess to the "I don't know" based upon what you do know.   Answer Question
    I used averages provided here on Glassdoor to negotiate a salary. Because this would be my first IT job I suggested the average calculated here as my starting income. This was agreeable.

Software Development Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Rackspace.

Met them at a school career fair and was invited to a dinner for potential candidates. A few weeks later, I was invited to an evening of "Rackspace Rush" - essentially a group on-site interview. I had two interviews, one mostly behavioral, the other technical. Both interviewers were engaging and friendly; neither was particularly difficult. Received an offer several weeks after.

Interview Questions

Was offered better opportunities elsewhere.

Network Security Engineer Interview

Went through all the way to final 3-man board at 1 a.m. on a Tuesday. They knew that I lacked the pertinent skill set but had a background in networking. I stumped one of their interviewers during the final interview, but, still didn't get in. Very disappointed with them. That is why I am currently in simultaneously interviews with 2 of their main rivals.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Rackspace in November 2013.

Great experience with the HR team, extremely service-full and with a very humane touch. The interview experience was handled by crafted and talented individuals with honest concerns, interest in my persona and intelligent down to earth questions.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in the company? This question was not unexpected, just believed that the company already new the answer to the question. It is important to be prepared to answer this question in a way that does not jeopardise your candidacy if the company was thinking of using your talent in a different manner.   View Answer

Systems Administrator Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Rackspace.

1st step was a 20 min phone interview. After this mostly personality type interview i was scheduled for a technical phone interview. then i was invited to the castle for a 3 hour panel style interview

Interview Questions
    • Name 5 things you can do with a brick other than build things   Answer Question