Rackspace Interview Questions

Updated Oct 13, 2014
Updated Oct 13, 2014

3.4

Systems Administrator Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Rackspace.

1st step was a 20 min phone interview. After this mostly personality type interview i was scheduled for a technical phone interview. then i was invited to the castle for a 3 hour panel style interview

Interview Questions
    • Name 5 things you can do with a brick other than build things   Answer Question

Securtiy Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Rackspace in November 2013.

Process was very fast. Expect multiple phone interviews and an all day onsite interview process involving several group panel interviews. You will be quizzed on the company, your resume, skills, and the jobs requirements through Q&A and real-world scenarios. More importantly, personality and charisma represent about 75% of the total interview weight- you must fit into Rackspace's culture and core values.

Interview Questions
    • What is the restoration priority for equipment, systems, services, networks as it pertains to a data center?   Answer Question
    There are several perks to working at Rackspace. To this end, the company is honest about their salaries being slightly under market value.

Business Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Rackspace.

Went thru the Rackspace recruiter, he asked typical questions (Behavioral type)
    THe did a mock call with Sales managers, it was role play.

Interview Questions
    • Not too difficult, if you are prepared for a behavioral interview   View Answer

Windows Systems Administrator II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Rackspace in October 2013.

Cold application online. Had phone contact within a week. One phone interview with a Recruiter that was of a technical nature. Second phone interview with a Lead Tech that was pure technical. Brought in for a face to face which consists of 3 rounds of 2 interviewers with varying levels of technical content. All the typical stuff to feel you out as a person, as an employee and as an purveyor of IT skills.

**Important item to note, in the end they place people based on test results. You will be quizzed on knowledge items from a script that is directly related to their environment and to which position you are applying. The environment is quite well segmented so the line of questioning will be very specific. The point being there are defined metrics used to place a new hire in a position rather than using intuitiveness and conversation to find out if a person has the knowledge and isn't communicating it or has the ability to produce said information without requiring a month long training course. An example that didn't happen to me but I could see occurring would be if you were asked to rattle off a sql select statement to delete records older than X days in a table. Not being a DBA this isn't usually on the tip your tongue but if an individual was able to communicate the general structure of a statement or even describe the administration interface for SQL, default databases and their use, default accounts and some permissions, tables, setting up jobs, any of that I would consider them knowledgeable enough to solve the issue in short order. At RS that would be anywhere from a 50-0% because the question was not answered and that could mean the difference between you getting a Level4, Level 3 or Level 2 position.

This seems to work out well though for RS. Tons of applicants, tons of jobs, tons of growth. But something else you need to ask about during the interview process is the promotion process. You have to test up into the next level. Testing opens 2x a year in the summer and winter. But you aren't necessarily allowed to test, you have to be granted the opportunity. You also have to be in a position for a year before you can test up even though the officially they say 6 months. No-one I have spoken with knows of anyone doing it in less than a year. Depending on on your hire date you could be in a position for nearly 1.5 years before being able to promote. Not good to start low just to get in the door.

Interview Questions
    • Sell yourself. Sell Sell Sell. They ask all the typical q's about bad customer support, good customer support, difficult coworkers or customers, etc etc. A lot of "why should we hire you?" "why do you want to work here?"   View Answer
    Very Corporate so salaries are scaled to job titles. IE: If you qualify for a Linux Admin 3 slot but feel you deserve $100k be prepared to not get that as a base salary. So shoot for the stars, find out your job title, then work it from there.

Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Rackspace in October 2013.

The process took about 2 weeks from initial HR contact (I was moving to SA at the time). The first process was actually for a higher paying job I did a TrueAbility screen to test my abilities and I feel I did pretty well but the next phase of interview didn't go so well. Then I was interviewed for the next position which consisted of a 2 hour long panel of questions about DNS, and basic web server errors and such.

The interview went really well they did a lot to make me feel like I could joke and have a good time. They seemed to handle my "Um idk" answer well because I tried to explain what I thought I knew just in case. There was no "I don't know" without at least an attempt to try to answer. Some of my answer were way more complex than I even studied to give. I just felt right in the moment and I think it all went fantastically.\

Had about a 30 minute long joking conversation before any question were even asked about my resume or for the job.

Interview Questions
    • List at least one linux command for each letter of the alphabet and explain what it does.   View Answer
    They told me what my Yearly salary would be if I worked 40 hours a week (I'm hourly). It was a bit more than I expected for entry level so I was happy.

Linux Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Rackspace in October 2013.

Recruiter quickly responded after my application in setting up an initial phone screener in which I was quizzed on things like commands, common ports, DNS, and then I was scheduled to complete an online TrueAbility test. After the test, I was given a phone interview and live break/fix, which I did not do as well on and was not selected for any further interviews.

Interview Questions
    • One difficult question was monitoring incoming pings.   View Answer

Senior Enterprise Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Rackspace in October 2013.

Was introduced for the role through a personal recommendation, initially had 2 telephone discussions with people within the role I was applying for before meeting several in an informal environment. I was then invited (at Rackspace expense) to fly to San Antonio for a series of interviews. This where things stepped up a gear. Had 4 hours of back to back interviews, most where 2 on 1. It was very much a behavioral interview process and they are looking to ensure that you are a great fit for Rackspace, its clear they are very careful and selective about the Rackspace Culture etc - lots of company play lip service to this term but Rackspace live it. From the moment I walked through the door at reception to the last person who walked me out - its clear the passion and energy of the place.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing major challenging - as I said mainly behavioral questions - make sure you have some war stories to discuss, client examples etc. and make sure you have done the usual interview preparation - linkedin backgrounds, Read Annual and Quarterly reports etc as talking points. (surprising how many people don't!!!) Generally, I would say it was a difficult interview, clearly had to think about it, if you aren't prepared this would be very difficult.   Answer Question
    negotiation was a really fair process - clearly pleased with the final offer as I accepted.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Rackspace in September 2013.

I applied to Rackspace via their website, and didn't have any inside connections to the company. After about a week someone at Rackspace requested a phone screening, which happened a few days later.

The phone interview wasn't anything out of the ordinary, I met with 2 Rackers and we spoke for about 30 minutes. Following the interview my initial contact told me that Rackspace would like to have me in for an interview.

The interview was 3 1-hour panels, each with 3 interviewers. Over the course of the three hours I was asked an array of questions about my work history, personality, but nothing out of the ordinary.

The Rackers I met with were all incredibly friendly, and there was nothing intimidating about our conversations. They tried to make me feel as comfortable as possible, and I really enjoyed the experience.

Following the interviews I was given a tour of the office, which looked like a fantastic place to work.

I was contacted by the recruiter a few days later to tell me that I wasn't selected for the job. It was pretty disappointing, as I was incredibly excited for the opportunity and had my fingers crossed.

In the end there were simply people who were better qualified than I was, and there are only so many available positions. I will likely pursue other opportunities at Rackspace in the future.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Rackspace in September 2013.

I was contacted the same day I submitted by resume and asked to answer more questions. I was then contacted one day later to set up an interview. The interview was one hour long and consisted of reviewing my resume and then answer a lot of behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of behavioral questions. Make sure you can back up questions with examples.   Answer Question

Marketing Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Rackspace in September 2013.

Had a phone screen interview with recruiter and was told that they would be scheduling a phone interview with the hiring manager within the next week. That was 3 weeks ago and several email pings ago - all without so much as a courtesy reply. Pretty shocked that a candidate being considered for an executive position would be treated this way.

Interview Questions
    • Salary brought up by recruiter on first phone interview   Answer Question