Rackspace

Relevance Date Difficulty

Network Security Engineer Interview

Network Security Engineer

Interviewed at Rackspace

Interview Details – Went through all the way to final 3-man board at 1 a.m. on a Tuesday. They knew that I lacked the pertinent skill set but had a background in networking. I stumped one of their interviewers during the final interview, but, still didn't get in. Very disappointed with them. That is why I am currently in simultaneously interviews with 2 of their main rivals.

Interview Question – Wanted a detail breakdown of packet headers.   Answer Question

Senior Enterprise Account Executive Interview

Senior Enterprise Account Executive
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Rackspace in October 2013.

Interview Details – Was introduced for the role through a personal recommendation, initially had 2 telephone discussions with people within the role I was applying for before meeting several in an informal environment. I was then invited (at Rackspace expense) to fly to San Antonio for a series of interviews. This where things stepped up a gear. Had 4 hours of back to back interviews, most where 2 on 1. It was very much a behavioral interview process and they are looking to ensure that you are a great fit for Rackspace, its clear they are very careful and selective about the Rackspace Culture etc - lots of company play lip service to this term but Rackspace live it. From the moment I walked through the door at reception to the last person who walked me out - its clear the passion and energy of the place.

Interview Question – Nothing major challenging - as I said mainly behavioral questions - make sure you have some war stories to discuss, client examples etc. and make sure you have done the usual interview preparation - linkedin backgrounds, Read Annual and Quarterly reports etc as talking points. (surprising how many people don't!!!) Generally, I would say it was a difficult interview, clearly had to think about it, if you aren't prepared this would be very difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – negotiation was a really fair process - clearly pleased with the final offer as I accepted.

Support Interview

Support
San Antonio, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Rackspace in October 2013.

Interview Details – The process took about 2 weeks from initial HR contact (I was moving to SA at the time). The first process was actually for a higher paying job I did a TrueAbility screen to test my abilities and I feel I did pretty well but the next phase of interview didn't go so well. Then I was interviewed for the next position which consisted of a 2 hour long panel of questions about DNS, and basic web server errors and such.

The interview went really well they did a lot to make me feel like I could joke and have a good time. They seemed to handle my "Um idk" answer well because I tried to explain what I thought I knew just in case. There was no "I don't know" without at least an attempt to try to answer. Some of my answer were way more complex than I even studied to give. I just felt right in the moment and I think it all went fantastically.\

Had about a 30 minute long joking conversation before any question were even asked about my resume or for the job.

Interview Question – List at least one linux command for each letter of the alphabet and explain what it does.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They told me what my Yearly salary would be if I worked 40 hours a week (I'm hourly). It was a bit more than I expected for entry level so I was happy.

Systems Administrator Interview

Systems Administrator

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Rackspace.

Interview Details – 1st step was a 20 min phone interview. After this mostly personality type interview i was scheduled for a technical phone interview. then i was invited to the castle for a 3 hour panel style interview

Interview Question – Name 5 things you can do with a brick other than build things   Answer Question

Network Security Administrative I Interview

Network Security Administrative I
San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Rackspace in August 2013.

Interview Details – Apply through LinkedIn and get an email scheduling a phone screen. These were ~20 technical questions most entry people should be able to answer save 2 or 3. I pass that and my recruiter tells me to study up on F5 load balancing, IPSec VPN, and Cisco firewalls. I go hardcore studying these spending hours upon hours. The technical phone comes and I was asked virtually nothing about these and basically all about VLANs and switching. Ok... but I managed to pass it and get invited to an on site interview to their San Antonio HQ. However instead of the Netsec I positions, I was now told I was being considered for their "TNT" program which is basically a 6 month probation period but with the same pay. Ok, very well I can prove myself.

I figured they would at least give me a rental car or pay for my gas since I live nearly 200 miles away (380 mile round trip). But nope, I had to pay out of my own dime and use my dad's car!!! That is so cheap I had a hard time comprehending that. I get two interviews that are 2:1 after a very short tour around their "Castle" which is basically an old mall converted into a giant call center as one member put it. Anyways I add switching and switchport security to my studying and study all 5 topics now. First interview they ask me loads of routing questions!! I couldn't believe it, my recruiter and the job description misled me so hard. I managed to do so-so but left feeling that my long hours of studying were wasted and I was asked on topics that I could have been studying on.

I get a call back saying that I didn't even get selected for the TNT probation period but got an offer for a Systems Support position with significantly lower pay and bonus and which is basically a frontline call center position. I told them in a nice way "no", not with my credentials. If I can't even get into their probation Network Security I position I won't accept.

Interview Question – Questions are based on your resume in my experience and NOT what any recruiter tells you its going to be about!!   Answer Question

Windows Systems Administrator II Interview

Windows Systems Administrator II
San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Rackspace in October 2013.

Interview Details – Cold application online. Had phone contact within a week. One phone interview with a Recruiter that was of a technical nature. Second phone interview with a Lead Tech that was pure technical. Brought in for a face to face which consists of 3 rounds of 2 interviewers with varying levels of technical content. All the typical stuff to feel you out as a person, as an employee and as an purveyor of IT skills.

**Important item to note, in the end they place people based on test results. You will be quizzed on knowledge items from a script that is directly related to their environment and to which position you are applying. The environment is quite well segmented so the line of questioning will be very specific. The point being there are defined metrics used to place a new hire in a position rather than using intuitiveness and conversation to find out if a person has the knowledge and isn't communicating it or has the ability to produce said information without requiring a month long training course. An example that didn't happen to me but I could see occurring would be if you were asked to rattle off a sql select statement to delete records older than X days in a table. Not being a DBA this isn't usually on the tip your tongue but if an individual was able to communicate the general structure of a statement or even describe the administration interface for SQL, default databases and their use, default accounts and some permissions, tables, setting up jobs, any of that I would consider them knowledgeable enough to solve the issue in short order. At RS that would be anywhere from a 50-0% because the question was not answered and that could mean the difference between you getting a Level4, Level 3 or Level 2 position.

This seems to work out well though for RS. Tons of applicants, tons of jobs, tons of growth. But something else you need to ask about during the interview process is the promotion process. You have to test up into the next level. Testing opens 2x a year in the summer and winter. But you aren't necessarily allowed to test, you have to be granted the opportunity. You also have to be in a position for a year before you can test up even though the officially they say 6 months. No-one I have spoken with knows of anyone doing it in less than a year. Depending on on your hire date you could be in a position for nearly 1.5 years before being able to promote. Not good to start low just to get in the door.

Interview Question – Sell yourself. Sell Sell Sell. They ask all the typical q's about bad customer support, good customer support, difficult coworkers or customers, etc etc. A lot of "why should we hire you?" "why do you want to work here?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Very Corporate so salaries are scaled to job titles. IE: If you qualify for a Linux Admin 3 slot but feel you deserve $100k be prepared to not get that as a base salary. So shoot for the stars, find out your job title, then work it from there.

Linux Administrator Interview

Linux Administrator
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Rackspace in October 2013.

Interview Details – Recruiter quickly responded after my application in setting up an initial phone screener in which I was quizzed on things like commands, common ports, DNS, and then I was scheduled to complete an online TrueAbility test. After the test, I was given a phone interview and live break/fix, which I did not do as well on and was not selected for any further interviews.

Interview Question – One difficult question was monitoring incoming pings.   View Answer

Business Development Associate Interview

Business Development Associate
San Antonio, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Rackspace.

Interview Details – Went thru the Rackspace recruiter, he asked typical questions (Behavioral type)
THe did a mock call with Sales managers, it was role play.

Interview Question – Not too difficult, if you are prepared for a behavioral interview   View Answer

Windows Systems Administrator I Interview

Windows Systems Administrator I
San Antonio, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Rackspace in November 2012.

Interview Details – Interview process is thorough and somewhat tough -- but designed to insure that qualified candidates are placed in the correct jobs for which they are applying.

Interview Question – In-depth IIS knowledge is a plus.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – SImple -- I took the job!

Software Engineer III Interview

Software Engineer III
San Antonio, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Rackspace in May 2013.

Interview Details – Very rigorous interview process. Communications with HR was very good, with fast responses. Workplace environment was very casual, but seemed focused and busy. Technical interviews with staff were more involved than expected, with logic and coding questions asked.

Interview Question – Logic question about 9 marbles, 1 weighs more than others. With a standard balance scale, and only 3 measurements, how can you find the heavier marble?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Rackspace