Rackspace Interview Questions in London, UK

Updated Apr 9, 2015

Windows Systems Administrator I Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Rackspace (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied on a note UK Job Portal and the same day a recruiter contacted me via Email. After some emails this person gave to follow up my selection to another woman from HR department who was very Junior as profile. She called me once and we agreed a date for the telephone interview, she also left me a message that she did not know what to say. Anyway after some days I did the interview with a 2nd line. The interview involve a lot of prepared questions that they use as template for every technical interview through the phone. Normally you should go there prepared for the most common technologies that they work with, like: IIS, SQL, TCP/IP ecc ecc. It took exactly 1 hour. Basically more questions you answer more point you get. Not sure about my score as nobody let me know anything therefore I sent them an email for info without any answer also if they say feel free to contact me for any queries. However logged on the portal and as every good investigator that works in the IT environment I discovered that my application from "in review" went to "not selected". This my experience with Rackspace, I am a bit disappointed.

Interview Questions

• What Happens When Hard Disk Fails in RAID 5 ?   1 Answer

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Rackspace (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

3 interviews meeting different people at each stage. All interviews had a relaxed feel to them and it was clear they wanted the right personality for the role along with the right skill set. Good feedback was given at each stage. Was made to feel very comfortable so was able to give a true reflection of myself.

Interview Questions

• What plans do you have for your first week in the role?   Answer Question

Senior Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Rackspace (London, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

Multi-interview approach (to be expected for this level, reporting to the country MD) - I progressed through the first 3 rounds of telephone, video / skype calls and a face to face and got down to one of 6 that had a 4th interview - I was not taken forward for the final 2 interview rounds which would have made the process 7 steps altogether.

While the interview process was relatively painless, I was extremely disappointed in the lack of feedback once I dropped out. Having got that far, I (am still) keen to understand if the reason for not taking me forward aligned with my thinking but despite repeatedly contacting the HR recruiter I was simply fobbed off and ignored until I stopped asking - this has left a very negative impression of a company that prides itself on consistently being named by both Sunday Times and Fortune as one of the top 100 companies in the world to work for.

Interview Questions

• "If you were a prospective customer, why would you choose Rackspace?"   2 Answers

Systems Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Rackspace (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied online. Got two face to face interviews: the first one was a technical one where I was shining as I was overqualified for the job. The next interview was with two low level managers which felt awkward as they were quite incompetent. One of them did not seem to know their own core values, luckily his colleague was there to correct him. Later on I was asked the same question twice, and when I pointed it out they were trying to make it look like that I am not listening properly and quickly re-asked the question rephrased. When tearing my CV to pieces they ask me about my past experience and why I am changing my career I just could not resist laughing at them, as I worked in IT all my life. Throughout the interview process while I was answering their questions I had a feeling that they chatting on their laptops with each other and not really care about the meeting. In the end I was told that I will be contacted in a few days. They did not bother contacting me, no mail, no phone call. After 10 days of waiting I had to rang them up to be told that I was unsuccessful. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• how do you list all hidden files?   1 Answer

Data Centre Operations Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Rackspace (Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)) in October 2014.

Interview

I went into the Rackspace building for an interview feeling quite nervous (at least at first), mainly because I feel that the position I am applying for would be a stepping stone to help get me on the path to where I want to get to. It would provide the resources, and hopefully a stable foundation while I work on my own personal aspirations (given the time), also being apart of a company that seems to always strive on getting better, being apart of something that i think is great, feels good too. Even better if they are doing this for their Country, and not just for themselves.

The nerves shortly settled as the two staff members conducting the interview helped provide a relaxing atmosphere, even though it seemed they were constantly reading me, I still felt confortable even if feeling completely transparent and potentially vunerable at times, the staff members showed understanding, curiousity, reassurance and encouragement they were also able to help me understand certain concepts using their skills, through teaching, i learnt (thank you Scott for explaining the RAID in a way I could take on board).

Even though I made some errors in the interview the critism I recieved back I thought was fair, and even though I may have been disapointed with myself at times they helped lift up my mood slightly by complementing me on one of my strenghts during the interview which i feel helped me, understand and move on and not let it hinder the rest of the interview, which i think was a good technique.

All this helped make the interview easier, for me as the person being interviewed.

Interview Questions

• Why I was out of work for so long before applying to Rackspace   1 Answer

Data Centre Operations Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hayes, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Rackspace (Hayes, England (UK)) in August 2014.

Interview

At first I was contacted via e-mail with regards to 2 job opportunities within Rackspace, asking whether I am free to talk about the positions. I replied via e-mail and we exchanged a few e-mail's until we'd finally made a telephone call. During the phone call I took a simple test with regards to my technical knowledge. Unfortunately I'd lacked having a photo ID and so my contact had to speak with their superior's, since it seems they would like me working for their company they decided to give me the privilege of still going through with the interview.

My interview was at 4pm the following week. I had gotten to the interview roughly 20 minutes early. I signed in at reception and asked them to tell my contact that I am there and waiting. After some time my contact arrived and showed me to the interview room, since I was a little early they spoke to me with regards to what I know about Rackspace and their core values, among other things. I had been handed a sheet of paper and a few pen's, and was asked to "draw my interests". I considered this very unorthodox, although I did enjoy the drawing, that way of doing things seemed very effective to someone with some form of social anxiety because vague questions such as "What are your interests?" can put pressure on the interviewee.

After a short while, my interviewers had entered the room, we greeted each other and I noticed that they weren't wearing any formal attire, and thus, felt a little "out of place". It didn't seem to hinder my interview process and after a while I'd felt a little more comfortable. If you're reading this because you're getting ready for an interview with Rackspace, I'd advise you still go in formal attire, but make sure what you're wearing is comfortable. I personally feel uncomfortable wearing a suit.

The first question that was given to me was "Can you list our core values?". Rackspace's core values are very important to their employee's and learning the list proved very helpful for the interview. After answering that to the best of my ability my interviewer's asked what I felt the core values meant to me, I answered as honestly as I could and explained myself thoroughly, luckily, my interviewer's still held interest in what I was talking about.

My interviewer's did seem rather interested in knowing more about me rather than my technical know-how at first. They explained anything that I didn't know and helped me understand everything I could about the job role, including showing me what I will be spending plenty of my time working around/with. After being asked the first few questions of my interview I'd felt like this interview was more of a "chat" than a full-blown interview, I felt comfortable talking about my weaknesses and strengths, and all that are in between.

So in conclusion, the interview was more fun than formal, we still talked about the technical side of things but I felt like I didn't have a problem talking about that. The interviewer's kept a very good balance of comfort and work in the room, they were very friendly and yet still hardworking, and I am very glad to have succeeded in becoming a part of their team.

Interview Questions

• "Do you know much about our competitor's?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

Simply, my contact called me up asking for feedback on how the interview went, and then shocked me with the good news.

Business Development Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hayes, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Rackspace (Hayes, England (UK)) in July 2014.

Interview

The recruiters aren't too clued up on what is going on and I was told that I was not successful with my application, then I was told that I was.
    I got the interview in the end where I had an aggressive sales manager who tried to shoot holes in everything I said, even personal things like why I moved from one area to another which I found odd.
    The second interview was to present on Backspace and was very straight forward and the manager was a lot more relaxed and was pleased to say that he did not try catch me out but wanted to better understand more about me as a person and my achievements and goals.

Interview Questions

• What makes you a good fit for Rakcspace? What do you know about cloud hosting?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I would ensure that your contract is correlates with your offer letter. There isn't much to negotiate as it is a run of the mill compensation matched to a target.

Linux Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Rackspace (London, England (UK)).

Interview

The offer was in a job board, applyed... 2 weeks later i was reached by email. I had a phone interview with the recruiter, with some general questions. All very polite and clear, then setted up a more technical interview.
    In this one the questions were more technical, with basic to harder questions.
    The last one was a face to face interview. I did not had the necessary experience. Overall, the process was very professional with nice persons.

Interview Questions

• The face to face interview is a practical test, where you have to do some tasks in Linux, more specific in Apache and general services.   Answer Question

Lead Infrastructure Engineer, Enterprise Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hayes, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Rackspace (Hayes, England (UK)) in June 2014.

Interview

Spoke to rackspace internal recruitment on a referral from a current employee. Basic background chat with a bit more of an explanation of the role and interview process.
    Had a quiz on a few technical questions nothing too difficult just some tech questions to weed out the blaggers.
    Next was a telephone interview with a member of staff already in the role. Really good interview obvious that they were reading off some scripted questions but showed an interest in some of the more open ended questions like how do you approach is issue or describe interactions with customers that did not go well. Telephone interview lasted an hour and was quite technical and probing. My advice would be to do it outside your working day or on a day off just to be able to distance yourself from your current role.
    Next came the face to face. The internal recruiters were very flexible when it came to when I could interview(I had a prebooked leave day in a couple of weeks that they said was fine to defer it to). They give you a scenario to base a presentation on which has some strategy and tech on it. My advice would be to set up a phased presentation and go to the rackspace site to research products.
    The face to face was with one manager and 2 employees in the same role as I was interviewing for. The format was examined to me in advance and followed a presentation first with technical grilling then a sort of relaxed chat of my experience, what rackspace is and a q&a session on both sides.
    The technical grilling of the presentation was not to give you a hard time but to find out where your gaps are and how you handle yourself when a customer asks you a question outside of your knowledge.
    The face to face lasted 2 hrs which was in the morning.
    Good experience overall. Since joining I have been told it is more difficult to get in to Harvard than rackspace. But seeing the calibre of people here that is not surprising.
    My tip for anyone getting a rejection is to take the feedback and work on it. Try again in a few months time and rackspace will accommodate you. Also strike up a rapport with the recruiter. They will represent you in front of the company.

Interview Questions

• Tele int, ports, subnets, vlan, give an example of fanatical support. How do you measure risk.

SQL, IIS, windows, PCI

Answer Question

Negotiation

By 2pm the recruiter called. First of all asked me for my feedback on the interview and process overall. This gave an opportunity to be honest and that was explained to me first. I was then given constructive comments and made me an offer. The offer was made over and above my current situation, which they had already asked me. The only thing I did not like was that there was some pressure added to accept that offer straight away. I did but I wondered if I had said I need time to think about it what would have happened.

Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Rackspace (London, England (UK)).

Interview

The entire hiring process has been quick, accurate and friendly. The first interview was a phone interview which lasted about one hour. Question were on basic knowledge on a wide area. After passing this interview I had the 1 : 1 interview. This was divided in two parts, the first was to test my technical skills and the second was a general interview made by some technical managers to understand how I was used to work and all the other common question.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember specific questions that stopped during the interview. The guys were all friendly and they made me comfortable.   Answer Question