Rackspace Interview Questions in San Antonio, TX

Updated Apr 10, 2015
Updated Apr 10, 2015

3.4

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX).

Interview

I had a phone interview to pre-screen, then they had me come in to their office for interviews with key individuals related to the open position. They put me in an office and had the interviewers come in to talk to me one after the other.
    Everyone was friendly and nice, but not sure why they called me in. They did not seem to be serious about it.

Interview Questions

• They did ask me specifically about relocating to San Antonio TX.   Answer Question

Windows Administrator Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

I am very disappointed with the professionalism of our local Rackspace recruiters (San Antonio, TX). There have been two times where I was scheduled to have a phone interview with one of the recruiters, which required me to take time from my regular work day. BOTH times (these were two separate applications) he did not call at the appointed time, nor did he bother to send at least a professional form letter explaining that we would not be interviewing.

If this is the level of professionalism displayed by Rackspace, I will feel blessed that I have not been able to interview; & will henceforth understand part of the reason why there are always SO many open positions with this company. I just wanted to share in case this is happening often, & someone at Rackspace cares about the level of professionalism shown to potential employees. As for me, I will never again seek to be a 'racker'.

Interview Questions

• None, as interviewer flaked on appointments on two separate occasions.   Answer Question

Intern I Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

The recruiter came and did a presentation on campus and told us to email her our resumes. A few weeks later I was invited to come interview at their headquarters in San Antonio, TX. Once you are there, they give you a tour of the Castle and let you get a feel for the culture. Then we did interviews that was set up similar to speed dating. They had tables for every candidate lain out in a big room. Then we had four, 30 minute interviews with different rackers.

Interview Questions

• The interviews were all behavioral, so it was not too difficult. They just want to get to know you and how you interact with others.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Expense Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

Overall interview process took close to 4 weeks. First step was a quick phone conversation with a recruiter, then a video interview with hiring manager. Then was called for a group interview with 8 people total, 2 an hour. It was a long afternoon but it was insightful to get a feel for the people that work there, the work environment and a brief tour of the work area. It is a large company but everyone is on the same playing field. No one has an office, everyone is in cubes. They are big on having a good work environment and their employees being adaptable to the fast pace work that takes place.

Interview Questions

• most unexpected question was "How will you start out your first week with the group?"   Answer Question

Software Developer III Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

Contact made through a recruiter. Phone interview went well, could tell the interviewer was not very experienced. Couple of questions were confusing because of terminology mix up.

Went into the technical interview, which was a four hour process. Several technical interview questions that were from CS 101 classes, Binary trees, searches, Sorts, Data Structures etc. Second meeting was with managers. They mainly vented about frustration with corporate culture, little unprofessional, but what the heck. Second management meeting, they also vented frustrations about culture and inability for upper management to make decisions. By the third interview, I had decided that this was probably not a great fit for me. The fourth interview was technical and had nothing to do with any experience I had on my resume. Was asked if I knew how memory was mapped by the Java virtual machine. Pretty much looked the interviewer in the eye and said "Nope!". Decided I would not be giving up my day job to make a move to Rackspace.

If you really want to work there, I suggest pulling out your Data Structures book and some go through some algorithm review. Best of luck.

Interview Questions

The corporate culture is a little to chaotic. It felt a little to unstable.

Product Marketing Manager II Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

9 Interviews, pretty simple. They kinda loved me anyway since I came from another *large search company based out of Mountain View*. The interviews were pretty straight forward, very friendly. I was easily able to have a conversation with everyone vs. "Here are 20 questions". Finding a start date was the most difficult part. It HAS to be a Monday, it HAS to be after we clear every minute detail of your background, it HAS to be 70* and sunny.

From the day they made the offer to my start date was about 30 days. If you're in dire straights and looking for quick work, Rackspace may not be an easy cookie to crack. I'm in a pretty senior level position, so maybe it's just me.

Interview Questions

• What's your Go-To-Market for a Microwave in 1950? The time period threw me off a little bit.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiated Base pay only, nothing else was negotiable. Bummer.

Solutions Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

There were several 1 on 1 phone screen interviews, first with the recruiter and then with various hiring managers. Then there was a case study presentation online of a mock solution design, then an in person visit to San Antonio where there were multiple 1 on 1 and group interviews done, followed my even more 1 on 1 interviews afterwards.

Overall the process took too long, over 4 months with long waits between events.

Interview Questions

• The usual, why are you leaving your current job, why do you want to work for Rackspace, etc   Answer Question

Customer Service Technician for Rackspace Email and Applications Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied on line . Went trough two thirty minute phone screens and two weeks later 1:1 interview. The face to face interview consisted of six people. They were in teams of two. There were some technical, situational, and behaviorism questions. The overall interview was nice. All made me feel relaxed. The interview was three hours long all together. I hope they hire me.

Devops Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX).

Interview

Recruiter called me and did a phone screen. She was easily the most professional recruiter that I have worked with. She scheduled an onsite interview and I flew to San Antonio to meet the team.

Got a tour of their mall, it was impressive. Did 3 rounds of interviews, 2 team members each round, then a final interview with their Director.

The large majority of interviewers had worked their way up from Rackspace tech support, and had an impressive number of Redhat certs. Most questions revolved around linux, a few questions about cloud architecture, no programming questions at all. Why? Likely because they all got their start at Rackspace tech support, and earned their Redhat certs from Rackspace U. Not knocking it, but they weren't devops.... just ops.

About half of the interviewers were fairly critical of employees who didn't start at Rackspace, and very critical of 'California' tech workers and companies. They felt that Silicon Valley was overrated. They're entitled to their opinion, but its an odd thing to mention (multiple times) during an interview. It seemed a little hostile, considering that I worked for a Silicon Valley company.

The interview with the Director was very telling. He had also started in tech support at Rackspace, worked his way up to Director in 7 years. Very impressive. Told me about his side business, and how I could purchase travel from him. I thought that was very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Not really any difficult questions, but some fairly stupid ones - mundane linux trivia that wouldn't show up in a real world scenario. If you're only tool is a hammer, you're going to ask a lot of questions about nails.   Answer Question

The offer was ok, and they were willing to go higher. Ultimately, I just couldn't imagine working with that team. Also wondered how many other teams were like that.

Network Security Administrative I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in June 2014.

Interview

The interview process was pretty straightforward. Half of the interview was technical and the other was personal to see if I was a 'fit' for the company. Overall the whole process didn't take long and was went smoothly.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was how to deal with teammates who become problematic and how I would deal with them even though I wasn't a manager.   1 Answer