Rackspace Interview Questions in San Antonio, TX

3.5

118 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Developer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Rackspace in September 2014.

Contact made through a recruiter. Phone interview went well, could tell the interviewer was not very experienced. Couple of questions were confusing because of terminology mix up.

Went into the technical interview, which was a four hour process. Several technical interview questions that were from CS 101 classes, Binary trees, searches, Sorts, Data Structures etc. Second meeting was with managers. They mainly vented about frustration with corporate culture, little unprofessional, but what the heck. Second management meeting, they also vented frustrations about culture and inability for upper management to make decisions. By the third interview, I had decided that this was probably not a great fit for me. The fourth interview was technical and had nothing to do with any experience I had on my resume. Was asked if I knew how memory was mapped by the Java virtual machine. Pretty much looked the interviewer in the eye and said "Nope!". Decided I would not be giving up my day job to make a move to Rackspace.

If you really want to work there, I suggest pulling out your Data Structures book and some go through some algorithm review. Best of luck.

Interview Questions

The corporate culture is a little to chaotic. It felt a little to unstable.

Customer Service Technician for Rackspace Email and Applications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Rackspace in July 2014.

I applied on line . Went trough two thirty minute phone screens and two weeks later 1:1 interview. The face to face interview consisted of six people. They were in teams of two. There were some technical, situational, and behaviorism questions. The overall interview was nice. All made me feel relaxed. The interview was three hours long all together. I hope they hire me.

Network Security Administrative I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Rackspace in June 2014.

The interview process was pretty straightforward. Half of the interview was technical and the other was personal to see if I was a 'fit' for the company. Overall the whole process didn't take long and was went smoothly.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was how to deal with teammates who become problematic and how I would deal with them even though I wasn't a manager.   View Answer

Devops Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Rackspace.

Recruiter called me and did a phone screen. She was easily the most professional recruiter that I have worked with. She scheduled an onsite interview and I flew to San Antonio to meet the team.

Got a tour of their mall, it was impressive. Did 3 rounds of interviews, 2 team members each round, then a final interview with their Director.

The large majority of interviewers had worked their way up from Rackspace tech support, and had an impressive number of Redhat certs. Most questions revolved around linux, a few questions about cloud architecture, no programming questions at all. Why? Likely because they all got their start at Rackspace tech support, and earned their Redhat certs from Rackspace U. Not knocking it, but they weren't devops.... just ops.

About half of the interviewers were fairly critical of employees who didn't start at Rackspace, and very critical of 'California' tech workers and companies. They felt that Silicon Valley was overrated. They're entitled to their opinion, but its an odd thing to mention (multiple times) during an interview. It seemed a little hostile, considering that I worked for a Silicon Valley company.

The interview with the Director was very telling. He had also started in tech support at Rackspace, worked his way up to Director in 7 years. Very impressive. Told me about his side business, and how I could purchase travel from him. I thought that was very unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • Not really any difficult questions, but some fairly stupid ones - mundane linux trivia that wouldn't show up in a real world scenario. If you're only tool is a hammer, you're going to ask a lot of questions about nails.   Answer Question

The offer was ok, and they were willing to go higher. Ultimately, I just couldn't imagine working with that team. Also wondered how many other teams were like that.

Product Manager IV Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Rackspace.

Asked to drive down to San Antonio only to find out that I would be interviewing over the phone with folks in Austin which is where I drove down from. All of the interviewers showed up late and I had to wait over 30 minutes just to get escorted to the interview room.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult more based what does IBM's technology look like vs Rackspace   Answer Question

Software Developer In Test II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Rackspace in April 2014.

Applied online through Rackspace jobs site. Contacted by a recruiter about two weeks later. Interview consisted of a technical phone pre-screen with the recruiter, followed by a more in-depth technical phone interview with a lead developer. The final on-site interview was about 4.5 hours, and consisted of technical questions related to testing and software development methodology mixed with typical interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • Given a short (< 10 lines) example function written in Python, "tell me everything that is wrong with this method".   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Rackspace.

They invited us to the Headquarters in San Antonio for a tour and interviews after the tour was finished.

Interview Questions
    • They ask you many questions about how you handled certain situations. They also want you to tell them how you can contribute to the company.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Rackspace in March 2014.

Lots of interviews in a single day, most interviewers didn't know why they were there or what they were hiring for. Allegedly harder than Harvard to get in (it's not). SAT's hiring 50-100 people a week so if you've got a pulse you can get a job. Job as described is nothing like the actual job.

Interview Questions
    • None - all very simplistic. (e.g."Tell me two bad things about yourself")   View Answer
    No negotiation.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Rackspace in March 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter a few days after submitting my resumé. The process was grueling and very, very long (over six weeks), I got almost no feedback, had to sit through a four hour interview and chase my recruiter to get details on upcoming step

Interview Questions
    • The interviews were pretty improvised and a lot of questions were repeated by several interviewers, things like "why would you quit your current job?"   Answer Question
    negotiations went smoothly. Ask a tad high and know they will lower.

Network Security Administrative I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Rackspace.

The interview process for me was very similar to other posts found on this site. 3 interviews, each increasingly more difficult, with the last one being in person.

In talking with other recent hires, I feel it is important to note that all (especially in-person) interviews are different... and almost everyone left feeling that they did horrible and wouldn't get an offer. This is because one of the interviewers' main goal is to find out what you do not know... and how you react to not knowing this information.

So, my advice is to be yourself and be honest about what you do and do not know. Even though the job is pertaining to network security... I was astonished to find out that I was one of the few people who came in with any firewall experience; Especially since over half my interview was related to firewalls. What they care most about is that you are passionate, want to learn / grow, and are someone that coworkers will enjoy working alongside and have great service skills for their customers.

Another thing to mention is the entire process took a very long time, so don't get discouraged if you don't hear back from the recruiter long periods of time - they will usually contact you either way, and long durations between don't necessarily mean negative news.

Also, If you are already in the San Antonio area, and are interested in getting Rackspace job, research Rackspace's Open Cloud Academy. It's a great (fairly inexpensive) program that offers learning / Certification training for Netsec as well as Linux and Windows. After graduating this program, A LOT of student's were chosen for positions.

Chances are, if you get hired, you will be hired into the company's network security training program. This is basically a training program to get you ready for the floor. I saw it as a great opportunity to get some great training (for a few months) while getting paid.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask crazy questions to gauge your personality, anything from "tell me a dirty joke" to "whats your favorite cartoon?"   Answer Question
    I was offered what other new hires told me (i didn't ask) they were offered as well. Nobody was able to get more than the original offer. This website's average salary for this position is close to that offer (55k range before profit sharing). The company probably won't negotiate unless you are a really qualified candidate (i.e. CCNP Security certified), in which case they may offer you to come in as a level II

Side note: pay increase for 2nd shift differential is +10%, 3rd shift (overnight) is +15%. Company also offers unbelievable of benefits (tons of days off, floating holidays, quarterly team outings, paid volunteer days, amazing health plans)