Rackspace Interview Questions in San Antonio, TX

3.5

118 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Developer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Rackspace in September 2014.

Contact made through a recruiter. Phone interview went well, could tell the interviewer was not very experienced. Couple of questions were confusing because of terminology mix up.

Went into the technical interview, which was a four hour process. Several technical interview questions that were from CS 101 classes, Binary trees, searches, Sorts, Data Structures etc. Second meeting was with managers. They mainly vented about frustration with corporate culture, little unprofessional, but what the heck. Second management meeting, they also vented frustrations about culture and inability for upper management to make decisions. By the third interview, I had decided that this was probably not a great fit for me. The fourth interview was technical and had nothing to do with any experience I had on my resume. Was asked if I knew how memory was mapped by the Java virtual machine. Pretty much looked the interviewer in the eye and said "Nope!". Decided I would not be giving up my day job to make a move to Rackspace.

If you really want to work there, I suggest pulling out your Data Structures book and some go through some algorithm review. Best of luck.

Interview Questions

The corporate culture is a little to chaotic. It felt a little to unstable.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Rackspace in March 2014.

Lots of interviews in a single day, most interviewers didn't know why they were there or what they were hiring for. Allegedly harder than Harvard to get in (it's not). SAT's hiring 50-100 people a week so if you've got a pulse you can get a job. Job as described is nothing like the actual job.

Interview Questions
    • None - all very simplistic. (e.g."Tell me two bad things about yourself")   View Answer
    No negotiation.

Customer Service Technician for Rackspace Email and Applications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Rackspace in July 2014.

I applied on line . Went trough two thirty minute phone screens and two weeks later 1:1 interview. The face to face interview consisted of six people. They were in teams of two. There were some technical, situational, and behaviorism questions. The overall interview was nice. All made me feel relaxed. The interview was three hours long all together. I hope they hire me.

Securtiy Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Rackspace in November 2013.

Process was very fast. Expect multiple phone interviews and an all day onsite interview process involving several group panel interviews. You will be quizzed on the company, your resume, skills, and the jobs requirements through Q&A and real-world scenarios. More importantly, personality and charisma represent about 75% of the total interview weight- you must fit into Rackspace's culture and core values.

Interview Questions
    • What is the restoration priority for equipment, systems, services, networks as it pertains to a data center?   Answer Question
    There are several perks to working at Rackspace. To this end, the company is honest about their salaries being slightly under market value.

Network Security Administrative I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Rackspace in June 2014.

The interview process was pretty straightforward. Half of the interview was technical and the other was personal to see if I was a 'fit' for the company. Overall the whole process didn't take long and was went smoothly.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was how to deal with teammates who become problematic and how I would deal with them even though I wasn't a manager.   View Answer

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Rackspace in January 2014.

Submitted an application online. Emailed with a recruiter to set up a phone screen, phone screen with a recruiter, followed by a phone screen with the hiring manager a few days later. After that, I was brought in for a five-hour panel interview with various members of the marketing organization, usually 2 per panel, some in person and others on video conference.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions centered around a "Tell me about a time when you..." type question. One particular panel member was obsessive about every detail of the examples I provided, wrote down exactly what I had said and then quizzed me on my answers again.   Answer Question

Software Developer - Test III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Rackspace in July 2013.

The entire interview process takes about 4-5 hours. You interview with between 8 and 10 people, usually in groups of 2 for an hour each.

Some of the interviews involve actual white boarding of code in the language you pick. The others involve problem solving scenerios. Very few of the interviews discuss you, the are more to demonstrate you skills.

Interview Questions
    • They present you with current or recent issues that they had faced to see how you would address it as compared to the solution that was implemented.   Answer Question
    They called on the phone and extended in offer through the HR rep. You made any counters through that person and settled on your package.

Community Affairs Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Rackspace in August 2013.

Did a phone interview, more of a pre-screen. The wait time between the phone interview and in person interview was about two weeks. The in person interview was two one-hour interviews, back to back, with a panel of three interviewers. I received an offer within one week of the interview.

Linux Systems Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Rackspace in March 2013.

Initial communications were done through LinkedIn where their recruiting staff contacted me. I spoke over the phone with the interviewer several times so that they could get an idea of my general skills and personality. The recruiter was very nice and had an energetic personality.

Afterwards, we arranged for an over-the-phone interview between myself and several members of the group that I would be working with. During this time I was asked some very basic technical questions about automation and configuration management tools and how I use them at my current position.

A couple days later I was offered to be flown to their corporate headquarters for an in-person interview. During that interview, I met with people from their group all day long as they spent time getting to know me. Overall there really were not any technical questions presented. No useless programming challenges, no worthless "give me a list of all the TCP flags" questions, etc. It was primarily a personality interview with technical bits dropped in.

All of the employees in the interview were really cool and down-to-earth. The took me out to lunch during the day and showed me around the building afterwards. Overall it was a great experience

Interview Questions
    • Questions revolving around the config management tool puppet.   Answer Question
    Not much. It was basically here it is and take it or leave it. I was offered stock options and RSUs which I knew were going to be worthless because of vesting periods. My base pay was lower than the position I was coming from. The position I was offered was lower than the one I was coming from. The relocation package was mediocre at best. They didn't relocate my vehicles even after asking. So I had to pack up all my stuff and drive across the country.

Advice to potential candidates; be prepared for a shock. They're not very gung-ho about compensating their employees. Even in the building you have to fight for resources. So it's obvious why they don't have decent options and deals; it permeates the whole company.

Software Developer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Rackspace in December 2013.

I had a very positive interview process but was involved with interviewing other candidates. Some of those interviews were not conducted in what I consider a pleasant manner. This could be because I had a huge portfolio and lots of code sample. We had a hard time finding good candidates.

Interview Questions
    • How would I convert an Array to an Object or vica-versa?   View Answer
    I was told I would have 10 days of vacation upon signing which was not the case. I was offered 10K less than market average and accepted because I was told historically the yearly bonus has been $20-$30K. This year it's $4K.

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!