Rackspace

Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Service Technician for Rackspace Email and Applications Interview

Customer Service Technician for Rackspace Email and Applications
San Antonio, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Rackspace in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied on line . Went trough two thirty minute phone screens and two weeks later 1:1 interview. The face to face interview consisted of six people. They were in teams of two. There were some technical, situational, and behaviorism questions. The overall interview was nice. All made me feel relaxed. The interview was three hours long all together. I hope they hire me.

Interview Question – How does email work?   View Answer

Manager Interview

Manager
San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Rackspace in March 2014.

Interview Details – Lots of interviews in a single day, most interviewers didn't know why they were there or what they were hiring for. Allegedly harder than Harvard to get in (it's not). SAT's hiring 50-100 people a week so if you've got a pulse you can get a job. Job as described is nothing like the actual job.

Interview Question – None - all very simplistic. (e.g."Tell me two bad things about yourself")   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Securtiy Analyst II Interview

Securtiy Analyst II
San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Rackspace in November 2013.

Interview Details – Process was very fast. Expect multiple phone interviews and an all day onsite interview process involving several group panel interviews. You will be quizzed on the company, your resume, skills, and the jobs requirements through Q&A and real-world scenarios. More importantly, personality and charisma represent about 75% of the total interview weight- you must fit into Rackspace's culture and core values.

Interview Question – What is the restoration priority for equipment, systems, services, networks as it pertains to a data center?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There are several perks to working at Rackspace. To this end, the company is honest about their salaries being slightly under market value.

Very Difficult Interview

Network Security Administrative I Interview

Network Security Administrative I
San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Rackspace in June 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process was pretty straightforward. Half of the interview was technical and the other was personal to see if I was a 'fit' for the company. Overall the whole process didn't take long and was went smoothly.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was how to deal with teammates who become problematic and how I would deal with them even though I wasn't a manager.   View Answer

Marketing Interview

Marketing
San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Rackspace in January 2014.

Interview Details – Submitted an application online. Emailed with a recruiter to set up a phone screen, phone screen with a recruiter, followed by a phone screen with the hiring manager a few days later. After that, I was brought in for a five-hour panel interview with various members of the marketing organization, usually 2 per panel, some in person and others on video conference.

Interview Question – Most questions centered around a "Tell me about a time when you..." type question. One particular panel member was obsessive about every detail of the examples I provided, wrote down exactly what I had said and then quizzed me on my answers again.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Software Developer - Test III Interview

Software Developer - Test III
San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Rackspace in July 2013.

Interview Details – The entire interview process takes about 4-5 hours. You interview with between 8 and 10 people, usually in groups of 2 for an hour each.

Some of the interviews involve actual white boarding of code in the language you pick. The others involve problem solving scenerios. Very few of the interviews discuss you, the are more to demonstrate you skills.

Interview Question – They present you with current or recent issues that they had faced to see how you would address it as compared to the solution that was implemented.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They called on the phone and extended in offer through the HR rep. You made any counters through that person and settled on your package.

Community Affairs Interview

Community Affairs
San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Rackspace in August 2013.

Interview Details – Did a phone interview, more of a pre-screen. The wait time between the phone interview and in person interview was about two weeks. The in person interview was two one-hour interviews, back to back, with a panel of three interviewers. I received an offer within one week of the interview.

Interview Question – Tell me about your favorite sci-fi movie   Answer Question

Linux Systems Engineer II Interview

Linux Systems Engineer II
San Antonio, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Rackspace in March 2013.

Interview Details – Initial communications were done through LinkedIn where their recruiting staff contacted me. I spoke over the phone with the interviewer several times so that they could get an idea of my general skills and personality. The recruiter was very nice and had an energetic personality.

Afterwards, we arranged for an over-the-phone interview between myself and several members of the group that I would be working with. During this time I was asked some very basic technical questions about automation and configuration management tools and how I use them at my current position.

A couple days later I was offered to be flown to their corporate headquarters for an in-person interview. During that interview, I met with people from their group all day long as they spent time getting to know me. Overall there really were not any technical questions presented. No useless programming challenges, no worthless "give me a list of all the TCP flags" questions, etc. It was primarily a personality interview with technical bits dropped in.

All of the employees in the interview were really cool and down-to-earth. The took me out to lunch during the day and showed me around the building afterwards. Overall it was a great experience

Interview Question – Questions revolving around the config management tool puppet.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much. It was basically here it is and take it or leave it. I was offered stock options and RSUs which I knew were going to be worthless because of vesting periods. My base pay was lower than the position I was coming from. The position I was offered was lower than the one I was coming from. The relocation package was mediocre at best. They didn't relocate my vehicles even after asking. So I had to pack up all my stuff and drive across the country.

Advice to potential candidates; be prepared for a shock. They're not very gung-ho about compensating their employees. Even in the building you have to fight for resources. So it's obvious why they don't have decent options and deals; it permeates the whole company.

Software Developer III Interview

Software Developer III
San Antonio, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Rackspace in December 2013.

Interview Details – I had a very positive interview process but was involved with interviewing other candidates. Some of those interviews were not conducted in what I consider a pleasant manner. This could be because I had a huge portfolio and lots of code sample. We had a hard time finding good candidates.

Interview Question – How would I convert an Array to an Object or vica-versa?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was told I would have 10 days of vacation upon signing which was not the case. I was offered 10K less than market average and accepted because I was told historically the yearly bonus has been $20-$30K. This year it's $4K.

Windows Systems Administrator II Interview

Windows Systems Administrator II
San Antonio, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Rackspace in September 2011.

Interview Details – Straight forward easy interview process. Phone screen followed by in person interviews. The in person was more difficult ( to be expected). There was a lot of SQL and IIS, which most Sys Ads dont get a lot of exposure to before hand (in my opinion)

Interview Question – Lots of IIS and SQL that I was unfamiliar with   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Easy

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!