Rackspace
www.rackspace.com San Antonio, TX 5000+ Employees

Rackspace Interview Questions & Reviews in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Data Centre Technician Interview

Data Centre Technician
Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Rackspace in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Rackspace in November 2013,
Interview Details – Preliminaries:

I was looking for my first entry level role in the IT industry after many years of experience in retail. I initially applied for the position of Windows Systems Administrator on the Rackspace Careers website. Although I was proactively seeking certification during this time (had already passed the first of two exam of Comptia A+), I wasn't expecting a response back as most jobs it seemed required 'x' years of experience and a multitude of qualifications, thought I may get a standard generic email like all the other companies send out.

What Happened Next:

I received a call a day or two later from HR explaining that my current level of skills, qualifications and experience didn't match the requirements that they were looking for, which I entirely agreed with. However, he then proceeded to tell me that they had a more entry level position working in their data centre that I may be interested in applying for. I expressed my interest in this data centre role and then was asked if I could participate in a technical telephone assessment there and then, which I agreed to.

The telephone assessment comprised of many questions related to Windows, Linux, hardware (troubleshooting) and networking. I managed to pass this assessment and was then invited for an interview the next week.

Interview Preparation:

I visited the Rackspace Careers website to get a deeper understanding of the company; I research its roots, products and services, especially there core values etc. There were a great load of resources on the website including videos which impressed me a lot.

The Interview:

I had one interviewer on the day, who was very friendly, honest and easy to talk to. I was offered a cold drink before proceeding to the interview room. It was very relaxed; something that I wasn't used to from past interviews. I was asked a series of questions relating to my past experience, current interests and goals. I was then asked technical and scenario based questions which tested how I would react to particular situations. Overall, I thought it was a very well rounded interview; I felt like they actually wanted to get to know me as an individual in addition to testing for my technical competency. Was shown around the data centre and was asked if I had any ideas on how to improve the data centre.
Overall experience was amazing have I never been to an interview which made me feel very welcome and really took interest in my character and personal values and not just what I had achieved academically.

Was given plenty of constructive and positive feedback which was great.

Interview Question – Interview Question – You are currently in the data centre and the phone rings and an email appears at the same time. You are alone (no other staff nearby). What do you do?   View Answer

Data Centre Operations Technician Level I Interview

Data Centre Operations Technician Level I
Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Rackspace in April 2013.

Interview Details – Preliminaries:

I was looking for my first entry level role in the IT industry after many years of experience in retail. I initially applied for the position of Windows Systems Administrator on the Rackspace Careers website. Although I was proactively seeking certification during this time (had already attained entry level MTAs in Windows 7 Operating System Fundamentals, HTML5 Application Development Fundamentals and Networking Fundamentals through self study), I wasn't expecting a response back as most jobs it seemed required 'x' years of experience and a multitude of qualifications.

What Happened Next:

I received a call a day or two later from HR explaining that my current level of skills, qualifications and experience didn't match the requirements that they were looking for, which I entirely agreed with. However, he then proceeded to tell me that they had a more entry level position working in their data centre that I may be interested in applying for. I expressed my interest in this data centre role and then was asked if I could participate in a technical telephone assessment there and then.

Interview Preparation:

I visited the Rackspace Careers website to get a deeper understanding of the company; I research its roots, products and services, core values etc. There were a great load of resources on the website including videos and CloudU which impressed me a lot.

The Interview:

I had two interviewers on the day; both of whom were very friendly, honest and easy to talk to. It was very sunny and hot outside and because I didn't want to be late, I ran for a bit of my journey there. Consequently, I was sweating a fair bit when I got in (not good especially just before the interview!). However, I was offered a cold drink which cooled me down quite a bit before proceeding to the interview room. It was very relaxed; something that I wasn't used to from past interviews. I was asked a series of questions relating to my past experience, current interests and goals. I was then asked technical and scenario based questions which tested how I would react to particular situations. Overall, I thought it was a very well rounded interview; I felt like they actually wanted to get to know me as an individual in addition to testing for my technical competency.

Interview Question – You are currently talking to a customer on the phone, dealing with a technical issue. All of a sudden, you hear the other phone ring. You are alone (no other staff nearby). What do you do?   Answer Question

DCOPS Interview

DCOPS
Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Rackspace in September 2010.

Interview Details – Initial Communication:
I was called 2 days after submitting my application to ask if I was available for a telephone interview, or if not when would be a good time. This was a series of questions about: Networking; Hardware; OS (Windows & Linux);

Planning:
I prepped up on the Company itself; its Employee Values; Business trending etc

Interviews:
There were 2 interviews for me; the 1st was the technical phone assessment and secondly there was an assessment day testing on Team Building; Technical Skills; Personality profiling etc.

Perception:
The Assessers were friendly and open; no overt pressure. During the Interview phase itself there was a panel of 3 all of whom worked in an 'Interogation style' to ask choice / personality questions more than anything else. They described the job I was working for; asked me what the minimum Salary I would work for was, then asked me if they offered me less would I take it etc; the key focus, from their end, was what would I bring to the table - they knew what they were offering and were happy to tell me, but they wanted to know why I was the right candidate. They were open saying that if they didn't find anyone that made them go 'wow' in the assessment day they would decline all and just start again - the quality of the hire was more important that filling the spots on an interim basis.

The office and work culture were extremely personalised; everyone was having a great time and no one held back from introducing themselves or helping out. Everybody was keen to set the right expectation when talking to the interviewees and showing them around.

Interview Question – If I was to give you the job right now, who would you want to work for Me or [GUY NEXT TO HIM']   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!

Rackspace Videos

Rackspace – Why Work for Us?

Rackspace Hosting is the world’s leading specialist in hosting and cloud computing. The San Antonio-based company provides Fanatical Support® to its customers, across a portfolio of IT services, including Managed… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rackspace interview questions and advice in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by Rackspace employees and interview candidates.