Rackspace

3.3

26 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Systems Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Rackspace.

Applied online. Got two face to face interviews: the first one was a technical one where I was shining as I was overqualified for the job. The next interview was with two low level managers which felt awkward as they were quite incompetent. One of them did not seem to know their own core values, luckily his colleague was there to correct him. Later on I was asked the same question twice, and when I pointed it out they were trying to make it look like that I am not listening properly and quickly re-asked the question rephrased. When tearing my CV to pieces they ask me about my past experience and why I am changing my career I just could not resist laughing at them, as I worked in IT all my life. Throughout the interview process while I was answering their questions I had a feeling that they chatting on their laptops with each other and not really care about the meeting. In the end I was told that I will be contacted in a few days. They did not bother contacting me, no mail, no phone call. After 10 days of waiting I had to rang them up to be told that I was unsuccessful. Very unprofessional.

Data Centre Operations Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Rackspace in October 2014.

I went into the Rackspace building for an interview feeling quite nervous (at least at first), mainly because I feel that the position I am applying for would be a stepping stone to help get me on the path to where I want to get to. It would provide the resources, and hopefully a stable foundation while I work on my own personal aspirations (given the time), also being apart of a company that seems to always strive on getting better, being apart of something that i think is great, feels good too. Even better if they are doing this for their Country, and not just for themselves.

The nerves shortly settled as the two staff members conducting the interview helped provide a relaxing atmosphere, even though it seemed they were constantly reading me, I still felt confortable even if feeling completely transparent and potentially vunerable at times, the staff members showed understanding, curiousity, reassurance and encouragement they were also able to help me understand certain concepts using their skills, through teaching, i learnt (thank you Scott for explaining the RAID in a way I could take on board).

Even though I made some errors in the interview the critism I recieved back I thought was fair, and even though I may have been disapointed with myself at times they helped lift up my mood slightly by complementing me on one of my strenghts during the interview which i feel helped me, understand and move on and not let it hinder the rest of the interview, which i think was a good technique.

All this helped make the interview easier, for me as the person being interviewed.

Interview Questions
    • Why I was out of work for so long before applying to Rackspace   View Answer

Data Centre Operations Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hayes, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hayes, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Rackspace in August 2014.

At first I was contacted via e-mail with regards to 2 job opportunities within Rackspace, asking whether I am free to talk about the positions. I replied via e-mail and we exchanged a few e-mail's until we'd finally made a telephone call. During the phone call I took a simple test with regards to my technical knowledge. Unfortunately I'd lacked having a photo ID and so my contact had to speak with their superior's, since it seems they would like me working for their company they decided to give me the privilege of still going through with the interview.

My interview was at 4pm the following week. I had gotten to the interview roughly 20 minutes early. I signed in at reception and asked them to tell my contact that I am there and waiting. After some time my contact arrived and showed me to the interview room, since I was a little early they spoke to me with regards to what I know about Rackspace and their core values, among other things. I had been handed a sheet of paper and a few pen's, and was asked to "draw my interests". I considered this very unorthodox, although I did enjoy the drawing, that way of doing things seemed very effective to someone with some form of social anxiety because vague questions such as "What are your interests?" can put pressure on the interviewee.

After a short while, my interviewers had entered the room, we greeted each other and I noticed that they weren't wearing any formal attire, and thus, felt a little "out of place". It didn't seem to hinder my interview process and after a while I'd felt a little more comfortable. If you're reading this because you're getting ready for an interview with Rackspace, I'd advise you still go in formal attire, but make sure what you're wearing is comfortable. I personally feel uncomfortable wearing a suit.

The first question that was given to me was "Can you list our core values?". Rackspace's core values are very important to their employee's and learning the list proved very helpful for the interview. After answering that to the best of my ability my interviewer's asked what I felt the core values meant to me, I answered as honestly as I could and explained myself thoroughly, luckily, my interviewer's still held interest in what I was talking about.

My interviewer's did seem rather interested in knowing more about me rather than my technical know-how at first. They explained anything that I didn't know and helped me understand everything I could about the job role, including showing me what I will be spending plenty of my time working around/with. After being asked the first few questions of my interview I'd felt like this interview was more of a "chat" than a full-blown interview, I felt comfortable talking about my weaknesses and strengths, and all that are in between.

So in conclusion, the interview was more fun than formal, we still talked about the technical side of things but I felt like I didn't have a problem talking about that. The interviewer's kept a very good balance of comfort and work in the room, they were very friendly and yet still hardworking, and I am very glad to have succeeded in becoming a part of their team.

Interview Questions
    • "Do you know much about our competitor's?"   View Answer
    Simply, my contact called me up asking for feedback on how the interview went, and then shocked me with the good news.

Linux Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Rackspace.

The offer was in a job board, applyed... 2 weeks later i was reached by email. I had a phone interview with the recruiter, with some general questions. All very polite and clear, then setted up a more technical interview.
    In this one the questions were more technical, with basic to harder questions.
    The last one was a face to face interview. I did not had the necessary experience. Overall, the process was very professional with nice persons.

Interview Questions
    • The face to face interview is a practical test, where you have to do some tasks in Linux, more specific in Apache and general services.   Answer Question

Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Rackspace.

The entire hiring process has been quick, accurate and friendly. The first interview was a phone interview which lasted about one hour. Question were on basic knowledge on a wide area. After passing this interview I had the 1 : 1 interview. This was divided in two parts, the first was to test my technical skills and the second was a general interview made by some technical managers to understand how I was used to work and all the other common question.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember specific questions that stopped during the interview. The guys were all friendly and they made me comfortable.   Answer Question

Senior Infrastructure Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Rackspace in December 2013.

Telephonic quick fire technical round followed by written test and in person interview.

Data Centre Technician Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Rackspace in November 2013.

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Rackspace in November 2013,
    Interview Details – Preliminaries:

I was looking for my first entry level role in the IT industry after many years of experience in retail. I initially applied for the position of Windows Systems Administrator on the Rackspace Careers website. Although I was proactively seeking certification during this time (had already passed the first of two exam of Comptia A+), I wasn't expecting a response back as most jobs it seemed required 'x' years of experience and a multitude of qualifications, thought I may get a standard generic email like all the other companies send out.

What Happened Next:

I received a call a day or two later from HR explaining that my current level of skills, qualifications and experience didn't match the requirements that they were looking for, which I entirely agreed with. However, he then proceeded to tell me that they had a more entry level position working in their data centre that I may be interested in applying for. I expressed my interest in this data centre role and then was asked if I could participate in a technical telephone assessment there and then, which I agreed to.

The telephone assessment comprised of many questions related to Windows, Linux, hardware (troubleshooting) and networking. I managed to pass this assessment and was then invited for an interview the next week.

Interview Preparation:

I visited the Rackspace Careers website to get a deeper understanding of the company; I research its roots, products and services, especially there core values etc. There were a great load of resources on the website including videos which impressed me a lot.

The Interview:

I had one interviewer on the day, who was very friendly, honest and easy to talk to. I was offered a cold drink before proceeding to the interview room. It was very relaxed; something that I wasn't used to from past interviews. I was asked a series of questions relating to my past experience, current interests and goals. I was then asked technical and scenario based questions which tested how I would react to particular situations. Overall, I thought it was a very well rounded interview; I felt like they actually wanted to get to know me as an individual in addition to testing for my technical competency. Was shown around the data centre and was asked if I had any ideas on how to improve the data centre.
    Overall experience was amazing have I never been to an interview which made me feel very welcome and really took interest in my character and personal values and not just what I had achieved academically.

Was given plenty of constructive and positive feedback which was great.

Interview Questions
    • Interview Question – You are currently in the data centre and the phone rings and an email appears at the same time. You are alone (no other staff nearby). What do you do?   View Answer

Linux Systems Administrator I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Very nice over the phone, wide scope of tech questions but personality plays a big role as well. Few questions from senior tech at the HQ, same goes for management and tour around the office.

sv mooth

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Rackspace in May 2013.

Initial phone interview, technical phone interview.
    Face to face interview in three parts (discussing background and carrer path, SysAdm, Development), about 6 hours.

Data Centre Operations Technician Level I Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Rackspace in April 2013.

Preliminaries:

I was looking for my first entry level role in the IT industry after many years of experience in retail. I initially applied for the position of Windows Systems Administrator on the Rackspace Careers website. Although I was proactively seeking certification during this time (had already attained entry level MTAs in Windows 7 Operating System Fundamentals, HTML5 Application Development Fundamentals and Networking Fundamentals through self study), I wasn't expecting a response back as most jobs it seemed required 'x' years of experience and a multitude of qualifications.

What Happened Next:

I received a call a day or two later from HR explaining that my current level of skills, qualifications and experience didn't match the requirements that they were looking for, which I entirely agreed with. However, he then proceeded to tell me that they had a more entry level position working in their data centre that I may be interested in applying for. I expressed my interest in this data centre role and then was asked if I could participate in a technical telephone assessment there and then.

Interview Preparation:

I visited the Rackspace Careers website to get a deeper understanding of the company; I research its roots, products and services, core values etc. There were a great load of resources on the website including videos and CloudU which impressed me a lot.

The Interview:

I had two interviewers on the day; both of whom were very friendly, honest and easy to talk to. It was very sunny and hot outside and because I didn't want to be late, I ran for a bit of my journey there. Consequently, I was sweating a fair bit when I got in (not good especially just before the interview!). However, I was offered a cold drink which cooled me down quite a bit before proceeding to the interview room. It was very relaxed; something that I wasn't used to from past interviews. I was asked a series of questions relating to my past experience, current interests and goals. I was then asked technical and scenario based questions which tested how I would react to particular situations. Overall, I thought it was a very well rounded interview; I felt like they actually wanted to get to know me as an individual in addition to testing for my technical competency.

Interview Questions
    • You are currently talking to a customer on the phone, dealing with a technical issue. All of a sudden, you hear the other phone ring. You are alone (no other staff nearby). What do you do?   Answer Question