Rain Bird

Updated Sep 5, 2014

2.7

Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Rain Bird in December 2011.

The interview process was a little unusual. Because the company is private nearly all of the information you might typically ask about various divisions, number of employees, etc. were either not answered or could not be answered by even senior management. Perhaps one of the most unusual things I learned was that at least 30% of their staff was "on notice" AT ALLL TIMES. They feel that this type of management is most effective. Furthermore, because of the secrecy, they embrace channel conflict and appear to do nothing to enpower synergies.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Rain Bird in October 2011.

I first received a phone call a few months after I applied online. The phone call was brief and described the open position. I then had a face to face interview with the hiring manager. I received a long description of what it’s like to work in a call center, what to expect and how to succeed. After that interview I was able to talk with a few other managers’ one on one so they could get an opinion on me. There was a second interview where I was able to accept the offer and sign some paper work.

Regional Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Rain Bird in September 2011.

The process was lengthy (almost 2 months) and during that period of time I had to conduct several Skype, phone and in person interviews. The company flew me in to their Tucson facilities for 2 day meetings. Their HR department was very helpful and coordinated all the travel arrangements and at the end contacted me to make sure I had a good flight back and to reimburse any missing meal or car rental expenses.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions, except the average, like "explain your strengths and weaknesses", " how did you resolve a dispute or managed a disgruntled co-worker", etc. They did want to know what experience I had in the industry and what was my knowledge on their products and the competitors.   Answer Question
    I was not able to negotiate much since they have already established packages for each position. I was taken back by the initial offer of a company car, but when I was hired they took that off the table explaining that they had just recently changed the company's policy. This was not a good starting point and made the situation a bit aggravating since they did not make any attempt to offer anything else instead.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Rain Bird in August 2011.

it was through a contractor, but the process was fast and easy.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Rain Bird in June 2011.

Interview process relaxed. Flew me in, interviewed with 4 people & the director. A pathetic solidworks test followed conducted by a temp guy who was trying to make it too hard for everyone. They made it seem like they are building Rocket Engines.

Interview Questions
    • Basic HR questions, nothing too complicated.   View Answer
    No negotiations

Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Rain Bird in June 2011.

Interviews consisted of hiring manager, national manager, and vice president. Rain Bird pays all expenses for the travel and tries to be considerate of those individuals who are currently working in another position although it becomes cumbersome to take multiple hours/ days away from your current position to go through the entire interview process.

Interview Questions
    • If we were to ask you how you would grow sales by 50% immediately, what would your plan of action be?   View Answer
    • What would be your action plan for the first six months in the position?   View Answer

Was not a good fit at this time................

Training and Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Rain Bird in April 2011.

Standard contact by email if I was interested, followed by two very thorough phone interviews. Questions were in-depth and focused. This was followed by them flying me to Tucson for a series of interviews which went fantastic, until the last one.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about the company policy of reducing employees by the lowest performing 10% annually?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Azusa, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Rain Bird in April 2011.

Face to face with the manager was fine.

It was the company policies that raised eyebrows. Metal detectors and briefcase searches on the way in and out... Holy intrusiveness: Hair follicle drug test... What the heck for? This company makes sprinklers, not missiles. Declined just on the principle of privacy. Also heard from from employees of episodes such as the company hiring private investigators to trail employees.

Interview Questions
    • You will need to submit to a hair follicle drug screen, are you okay with that?   View Answers (2)

Privacy... there is no reason why some employer should ask for a hair follicle drug test if the position is not sensitive.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Azusa, CA

The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Rain Bird in July 2010.

Initial screening by the recruiter--phone interview with recruiter--phone interview with the hiring manager--1:1 with the hiring manager

Manager Level Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Rain Bird in October 2009.

Multiple interviews with lots of people including VP. Very straight up - with very little humor involved - Use humor sparingly with VP. They do have a list of questions to guide them - some use, some don't.

Interview Questions
    Like any other - as expected