Rain Bird Interview Questions & Reviews

2.7

Business Development Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Rain Bird in June 2011.

Interviews consisted of hiring manager, national manager, and vice president. Rain Bird pays all expenses for the travel and tries to be considerate of those individuals who are currently working in another position although it becomes cumbersome to take multiple hours/ days away from your current position to go through the entire interview process.

Interview Questions
    • If we were to ask you how you would grow sales by 50% immediately, what would your plan of action be?   View Answer
    • What would be your action plan for the first six months in the position?   View Answer

Was not a good fit at this time................

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Azusa, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Azusa, CA

The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Rain Bird in July 2010.

Initial screening by the recruiter--phone interview with recruiter--phone interview with the hiring manager--1:1 with the hiring manager

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Tucson, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Rain Bird in July 2009.

Hour long phone interview followed up by an interview at the company. Interviewed one on one with various member of the engineering department and the group manager. About a six hour process. Asked about background, skills, how I'd fit with the company. Manager was stiff any very business focused - company culture did not look like much fun. Everyone but managers in cubicles, place was silent and nobody seemed to interact, and the front door had no receptionist but a guard and metal detector.

Interview Questions
    • If I gave you a new product concept to design and take to manufacture, what steps would you take to accomplish that?   Answer Question

Senior Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Rain Bird in September 2008.

1. Phone interview screening
    2. Second phone interview with hiring manager.
    3. Face to Face interview with 8 different people on site.
    4. Tour of facility.
    5. Offer, 2 weeks to decide
    6. Drug testing, college screening, background check.
    They want management background however if you don't fir the rainbird why you won't fit in and or be considered.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle rejection from upper management on ideas you present.   View Answer
    No negotiation was allowed, basically was presented as best offer being made.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Rain Bird in October 2008.

Interview process is pretty standard. Questions like describe background and project work.

Interview Questions
    Negotiation was done with head hunter.
    My advice is do not work here if you do not want to sell your soul. It is a burn and churn place where employees are expected to leave their dignity and respect at the metal detector door.

Field Sales Role Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I interviewed through other source. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Rain Bird in September 2009.

The interview process was long, and offered no definite end.

The process consisted of:

1) A phone interview.
    2) An in-person interview.
    3) A day long ride-along with a potential colleague in the company.

All pretty normal stuff, right? As far as I could tell, I progressed well through the first three phases. I even received an email confirmation that things had gone well after the ride-along.

After that time, the interviewer, the company, and my advocate within the company all went silent simultaneously for a period of weeks. When I say silent, I mean that no further feedback save one call back indicating that an internal candidate from the home office was in the lead. "You're all in a state of limbo" I was told.

Me: "Okay, I understand that your time is valuable, when do you think it would be appropriate to call back and follow-up, I'm still very interested in this role..."

Interviewer: "Sure, please give me until the end of the month" (September)

So I did. My two calls at the beginning of October went completely un-returned. My advocate/friend inside the company also seems uninterested in speaking to me either.

I fully understand that new jobs are hard to come by these days. I would have accepted a no, a no thank you, or even a get lost.

I want to be clear that I did not pester the interviewer, but did follow-up diligently about one time every two weeks. I sent thank you cards to all those I interacted with in the company. I did everything that was professional and expected of a high caliber interviewee.

What I don't understand is why the company decided to not say anything at all to me. They seemingly chose to ignore any form of professional manners or protocol and simply say nothing. Not a "no thank you" form letter, no call, no email, no nothing.

Is it too much to ask that if I follow up, that they follow up? I though that was pretty standard.

Finally, (for the record) I am employed now at the same job I've had for some time.

What can you say about a company who can't even spend the time to say "no thanks" when a candidate has gone this far into the process? Would you want to work for them?

Interview Questions
    • Will you rewrite/reword your resume to suit the needs of our company's leadership?   Answer Question

Manufacturing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Rain Bird in August 2009.

Personal enterviews with operations management team members, fluid and converstional, went through my resume and chat about the key experiences as manager in previous experiences

Interview Questions
    • How should I have to proceed with under performing personnel   View Answer
    • Why decided to leave the fomer companies   View Answer

Sales Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Rain Bird in January 2009.

Overall good interview experience. Hiring Mangers were enthusistic about Rain Bird and very thorough in screening candidates. I was able to get a good honest perspective of the "ups and downs" of the position. They will definitely repeat they only hire "the best of the best". I am obvioulsly not currently working for Rain Bird, but I look at the interviewing opportunity as a positive experience moving through several levels of a tough interview process. They know what questions to ask and will fire through them interview quickly, so be prepared to have solid answers which can transition into the next question.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to use specific situation based problems form past experience and your solution to the sales issue. They will then want to know how you could apply that to a Rain Bird setting.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Rain Bird in July 2009.

I had a terrible interview process and was wondering how others felt about their experiences interviewing with this company. The hiring manager was too busy talking about himself to really attempt to understand my qualifications. I also felt there was no real team leadership culture at the company.

Interview Questions
    • What in your educational background qualifies you for this position?   View Answer

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Rain Bird in May 2008.

Spoke to recruiter, then to hiring manager. Flew in for interviews with 1) Hiring manager, 2) her manager (was only on the job for 4 days), 3) Director of Commercial. The interview was a sales pitch, very little useful information gained on my part.

Perception of work culture
    - silence in the cubical areas - no meetings in offices, discussions/brainstorming, laughter