Rain Bird Interview Questions

2.7

Field Sales Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied through other source. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Rain Bird in September 2009.

The interview process was long, and offered no definite end.

The process consisted of:

1) A phone interview.
    2) An in-person interview.
    3) A day long ride-along with a potential colleague in the company.

All pretty normal stuff, right? As far as I could tell, I progressed well through the first three phases. I even received an email confirmation that things had gone well after the ride-along.

After that time, the interviewer, the company, and my advocate within the company all went silent simultaneously for a period of weeks. When I say silent, I mean that no further feedback save one call back indicating that an internal candidate from the home office was in the lead. "You're all in a state of limbo" I was told.

Me: "Okay, I understand that your time is valuable, when do you think it would be appropriate to call back and follow-up, I'm still very interested in this role..."

Interviewer: "Sure, please give me until the end of the month" (September)

So I did. My two calls at the beginning of October went completely un-returned. My advocate/friend inside the company also seems uninterested in speaking to me either.

I fully understand that new jobs are hard to come by these days. I would have accepted a no, a no thank you, or even a get lost.

I want to be clear that I did not pester the interviewer, but did follow-up diligently about one time every two weeks. I sent thank you cards to all those I interacted with in the company. I did everything that was professional and expected of a high caliber interviewee.

What I don't understand is why the company decided to not say anything at all to me. They seemingly chose to ignore any form of professional manners or protocol and simply say nothing. Not a "no thank you" form letter, no call, no email, no nothing.

Is it too much to ask that if I follow up, that they follow up? I though that was pretty standard.

Finally, (for the record) I am employed now at the same job I've had for some time.

What can you say about a company who can't even spend the time to say "no thanks" when a candidate has gone this far into the process? Would you want to work for them?

Interview Questions
    • Will you rewrite/reword your resume to suit the needs of our company's leadership?   Answer Question

Manufacturing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Rain Bird in August 2009.

Personal enterviews with operations management team members, fluid and converstional, went through my resume and chat about the key experiences as manager in previous experiences

Interview Questions
    • How should I have to proceed with under performing personnel   View Answer
    • Why decided to leave the fomer companies   View Answer

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Rain Bird in July 2009.

Hour long phone interview followed up by an interview at the company. Interviewed one on one with various member of the engineering department and the group manager. About a six hour process. Asked about background, skills, how I'd fit with the company. Manager was stiff any very business focused - company culture did not look like much fun. Everyone but managers in cubicles, place was silent and nobody seemed to interact, and the front door had no receptionist but a guard and metal detector.

Interview Questions
    • If I gave you a new product concept to design and take to manufacture, what steps would you take to accomplish that?   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Rain Bird in July 2009.

I had a terrible interview process and was wondering how others felt about their experiences interviewing with this company. The hiring manager was too busy talking about himself to really attempt to understand my qualifications. I also felt there was no real team leadership culture at the company.

Interview Questions
    • What in your educational background qualifies you for this position?   View Answer

Sr Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Rain Bird in February 2009.

Long interview process and with many people. No specifics were asked about talent and skills. It seemed mostly the interest was around personality and corporate behavior. I was surprised to learn that the term "Lean" was of no interest to the company nor of "cost savings or optimization". It seemed to go in line with the reviews I find here at Glassdoor that development of new ideas or optimization is disregarded and instead it is management's direction and no other. I was also surprised to hear about the employee performance "ranking" evaluation method where a "lower performing" employee would seem to be "discarded" even though the ranking method would not define such an employee a bad performing one since they are not measured against company or department goals.
    I may be wrong, but after the many interviews (and I really mean many...) all seemed to follow the same pattern.

Sales Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Rain Bird in January 2009.

Overall good interview experience. Hiring Mangers were enthusistic about Rain Bird and very thorough in screening candidates. I was able to get a good honest perspective of the "ups and downs" of the position. They will definitely repeat they only hire "the best of the best". I am obvioulsly not currently working for Rain Bird, but I look at the interviewing opportunity as a positive experience moving through several levels of a tough interview process. They know what questions to ask and will fire through them interview quickly, so be prepared to have solid answers which can transition into the next question.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to use specific situation based problems form past experience and your solution to the sales issue. They will then want to know how you could apply that to a Rain Bird setting.   Answer Question

General Production Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Rain Bird in January 2009.

Individual interviews by the entire management team.
    The only shift initially offered is thrid shift.

Interview Questions
    • Every interviewer asked if i had any issues firing people. I found out in my final interview that the reason they ask this question is becaue they erminate their labor force after x number of months to avoid paying benefits. The employee is not allowed to reapply for x nuymber of months.   View Answer

Did not want to fire people or work thrid shift.

Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Rain Bird in December 2008.

All of the people were very friendly and open. Questions were readily answered, and a short, somewhat limited tour of the facility was provided. I met one on one with a number of staff in the department at various levels, getting a good idea of how things were run. The initial reception was odd, as there was no receptionist just a security guard and metal detectors - not too inviting, though other parts of the facility were better.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a project which is an example of one of your recent failures.   View Answers (2)

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Rain Bird in October 2008.

Interview process is pretty standard. Questions like describe background and project work.

Interview Questions
    Negotiation was done with head hunter.
    My advice is do not work here if you do not want to sell your soul. It is a burn and churn place where employees are expected to leave their dignity and respect at the metal detector door.

Senior Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Rain Bird in September 2008.

1. Phone interview screening
    2. Second phone interview with hiring manager.
    3. Face to Face interview with 8 different people on site.
    4. Tour of facility.
    5. Offer, 2 weeks to decide
    6. Drug testing, college screening, background check.
    They want management background however if you don't fir the rainbird why you won't fit in and or be considered.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle rejection from upper management on ideas you present.   View Answer
    No negotiation was allowed, basically was presented as best offer being made.