Rain Bird

Updated Sep 5, 2014

2.7

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Rain Bird in May 2008.

Spoke to recruiter, then to hiring manager. Flew in for interviews with 1) Hiring manager, 2) her manager (was only on the job for 4 days), 3) Director of Commercial. The interview was a sales pitch, very little useful information gained on my part.

Perception of work culture
    - silence in the cubical areas - no meetings in offices, discussions/brainstorming, laughter

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Rain Bird in May 2008.

I was contacted and interviewed by a corporate recruiter.

I had a first round interview with the Senior Product Manager over the phone, and was invited to Tucson to meet with the Marketing Manager, SBU director, and a fellow product manager.

Job offer came pretty quick with two weeks to decide.

The place gave me a strange feeling from the beginning. Way too serious for a company that makes plastic tubing and valves. The metal detector and bag inspection at the front desk raised a red flag. I used to work for a high tech communications company and we had less security at the front desk.

Interview Questions
    • What would be your goals for the first 90 days?   View Answer
    I was between jobs, the offer was fair so I didn't negotiate.

I should have pushed for more vacation.

Service Manager Europe Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aix-en-Provence (France)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aix-en-Provence (France)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Rain Bird in August 2013.

It was through a Head Hunter. Followed by some interviews with European Managers (not very professional ones). Finally a skype call with US Top Managers and that was all. The Head Hunter and the General Manager shared company with me some years ago and the General manager was my boss during 2 years at that company.

Interview Questions
    If it´s a position that it took very long to cover (as a company policy they have 60 days) push to get more salary, company car and most important (depending on your level) a blindage of the contract.

Account Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Rain Bird in December 2012.

My first and only interview was with the HR person. It was the typical pre-screening variety.

No one has since contacted me via phone or email, despite a promise to get back to me shortly, whether or not there was interest,

Interview Questions
    • There were no questions that were particularly memorable. If I recall, they involved my interest in the company and the position. Moreover, they may have asked about my approach to acquiring new business.   Answer Question

Irrigation Design Specialist-SEA $ China Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manila, Manila (Philippines)
    Anonymous Employee in Manila, Manila (Philippines)

I applied through other source. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Rain Bird.

I was interviewed through overseas phone call and the next day as promised by Rainbird International, Inc. a personal interview here in the Philippines was done. and I am so blessed for i was hired and report the next day.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

I applied online – interviewed at Rain Bird in May 2012.

1 round phone interview; 2nd round phone interview by senior technical staff in U.S.; 3rd round face to face interview; 4th round face to face interview;

Interview Questions
    Salary negotiation. The interviewer will ask your expected salary and they will consider this if they decide to grant offer to you.

Directeur Ressources Humaines Europe Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aix-en-Provence (France)
    Anonymous Employee in Aix-en-Provence (France)

(Translated from English)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Rain Bird in November 2011.

J'ai postulé en ligne en septembre via une offre sur le site Linkedln, et répondu à un questionnaire qui était assez complet et de bonne qualité. Deux jours plus tard, j'ai reçu un mail pour prévoir un entretien par téléphone avec la DRH. Au cours des 2 semaine suivantes j'ai eu 2 autres entretiens par téléphone (d'1h30 chacun) : avec le responsable RH du département Europe et Mexique et à nouveau avec la DRH. On m'a ensuite demandé de faire un test de Q.I et un test de personnalité en ligne, puis on m'a invité à rencontrer les managers européens 3 semaines plus tard à Aix. J'ai rencontré 5 responsables : des gens assez ouverts, qui m'ont fait part de leur désir de trouver un intermédiaire avec l'Europe. L'interaction était assez bonne. J'ai ensuite été convié à rencontrer la DRH à Paris en tête à tête, elle arrivait des Etats-Unis. C'était un vendredi. L'entretien, ouvert et approfondi (nous avons abordé leur politique de confidentialité et elle m'a expliqué les difficultés d'appliquer la méthode du classement forcé en Europe), s'est suffisamment bien passé pour qu'elle conclue en me demandant de me rendre disponible pour rencontrer le directeur le jeudi suivant. Elle devait me rappeler le lundi ou le mardi pour me dire si un RDV pouvait être organisé le jeudi matin ou l'après midi. Je lui ai ensuite demandé si elle était disposée à discuter du salaire, elle m'a répondu par la négative et m'a demandé si j'avais déjà renseigné mon salaire actuel. Je lui ai répondu que cette information était indiquée dans le questionnaire que j'avais rempli en ligne, en ayant l'impression qu'elle l'avait seulement survolé. Pas d'appel le lundi ni le mardi malgré mes tentatives pour la joindre. Je n'ai donc pas pris mon avion pour Marseille le mercredi.

Depuis ( semaines plus tard!!!), pas de nouvelles de qui que ce soit de chez Rainbird. Après avoir rêvé de ce poste, je suis finalement satisfait de ne pas faire partie de cette entreprise qui n'est pas respectueuse et manque de professionnalisme (j'emploie le terme "entreprise" parce-que pour moi le DRH est celui qui construit ou du moins représente l'esprit de l'entreprise) . Je conseille à tous ceux qui ont un minimum d'estime de soi de ne pas postuler.

I applied online in september to a LinkedIn add. Very good and complete online questionnaire. I received a mail 2 days later to plan a phone interview with the Global HR Mgr. 2 other phone interveiws (1h30 each) followed within 2 weeks with the HR Mgr covering Europe from Mexico and the Global HR Mgr again. I was then asked to take an IQ and personality online test and invited to meet european management in Aix 3 weeks later. I met 5 mgrs: open people who shared their need for a go-between twix HQ and Europe. i felt a good match. Next, i was invited to meet 1:1 in Paris with the Global HR Mgr who flew from the US, it was a friday. The interview, thorough and open (we discussed the reason of the secrecy policy and she shared the difficulty of applying forced ranking performance in europe), went well enough that she asked me at the end to make myself available to meet the CEO on the next thursday. She was to call me monday or tueday to let me know if breakfast or afternoon meeting could be organized on that thursday. I then asked her if she was ready to discuss package, she said she wasn't and asked me if i had given my current package yet. i told her that this information was part of the initial online questionnaire, feeling she had overlooked it. Monday, no call, tuesday no call even after my attemps to reach her. I didn't fly onthat wednesday evening tio Marseille.
    Since then (3 weeks after!!!), not a word from anybody from Rainbird. After having dreamt of this job (litterally), i'm glad tody i didn't join such an unprofessional and unrespectful of people company (i say company as i believe the Global HR person either drives or at least embodies company spirit). I advise anybody who has a minimum self-esteem not to join either.

Interview Questions
    • Avez-vous déjà eu l'expérience de renvoyer des employés aux compétences moyennes ?   What is your experience with firing so-so performers?   Answer Question
    • Comment procéderiez-vous pour convaincre la direction d'adopter la méthode du classement forcé (illégale en France) ?   How would you convince management to adopt forced ranking (illegal in France)?   Answer Question

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Godhra (India)
    Anonymous Employee in Godhra (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Rain Bird in September 2011.

it's online on the site of college.

Project Engineer Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Rain Bird in January 2011.

The phone screening was with a recruiter, that was very thorough and straight to the point. She gave me some insight on the company and their challenges and I was allowed to communicate exactly what I was looking for. My perception of the company was that it has a relaxed and inviting atmosphere.

General Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Rain Bird in March 2010.

Initial contact was made through a fellow business school alum. He explained that my background was perfectly suited for both the company culture and the specific job opening. Four telephone interviews then took place with hiring managers, HR and my initial insider contact. A visit to their HQ followed with another round of in person 1:1 interview sessions.

Interview Questions
    • How do you deal with problem employees?   View Answer
    • Describe a time when you defied your manager?   View Answer

Concern about the company culture. I am not a command-and-control manager preferring to provide my reports with resources and clear direction and then allowing them to do their jobs and grow in the process. Rain Bird clearly communicated to me that they define management as a far more ridgid heirarchical function where people in junior roles are to do what they are told on a daily basis. I explained the pros and cons of same from where I sit with more cons than pros. It seemed as if this cue to a bad fit was lost in the need to fill the position with someone with my background. I did not expect to hear back from the company let alone receive an offer.