Rain Bird

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Sr Project Engineer Interview

Tucson, AZ

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Rain Bird in February 2009.

Interview Details – Long interview process and with many people. No specifics were asked about talent and skills. It seemed mostly the interest was around personality and corporate behavior. I was surprised to learn that the term "Lean" was of no interest to the company nor of "cost savings or optimization". It seemed to go in line with the reviews I find here at Glassdoor that development of new ideas or optimization is disregarded and instead it is management's direction and no other. I was also surprised to hear about the employee performance "ranking" evaluation method where a "lower performing" employee would seem to be "discarded" even though the ranking method would not define such an employee a bad performing one since they are not measured against company or department goals.
I may be wrong, but after the many interviews (and I really mean many...) all seemed to follow the same pattern.

Interview Question – Would you have any issues with firing somebody?   View Answers (6)

Engineer Interview

Melbourne (Australia)

I applied online - interviewed at Rain Bird in May 2012.

Interview Details – 1 round phone interview; 2nd round phone interview by senior technical staff in U.S.; 3rd round face to face interview; 4th round face to face interview;

Interview Question – No difficult questions;   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Salary negotiation. The interviewer will ask your expected salary and they will consider this if they decide to grant offer to you.

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager

I applied online - interviewed at Rain Bird in December 2012.

Interview Details – My first and only interview was with the HR person. It was the typical pre-screening variety.

No one has since contacted me via phone or email, despite a promise to get back to me shortly, whether or not there was interest,

Interview Question – There were no questions that were particularly memorable. If I recall, they involved my interest in the company and the position. Moreover, they may have asked about my approach to acquiring new business.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Irrigation Design Specialist-SEA $ China Interview

Manila, Manila (Philippines)

I applied through other source and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Rain Bird.

Interview Details – I was interviewed through overseas phone call and the next day as promised by Rainbird International, Inc. a personal interview here in the Philippines was done. and I am so blessed for i was hired and report the next day.

Interview Question – How much is your price?   Answer Question

Engineering Manager Interview

Engineering Manager
Godhra (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Rain Bird in September 2011.

Interview Details – it's online on the site of college.

Human Resources Manager Europe Interview

Aix-en-Provence (France)

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Rain Bird in November 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online in september to a LinkedIn add. Very good and complete online questionnaire. I received a mail 2 days later to plan a phone interview with the Global HR Mgr. 2 other phone interveiws (1h30 each) followed within 2 weeks with the HR Mgr covering Europe from Mexico and the Global HR Mgr again. I was then asked to take an IQ and personality online test and invited to meet european management in Aix 3 weeks later. I met 5 mgrs: open people who shared their need for a go-between twix HQ and Europe. i felt a good match. Next, i was invited to meet 1:1 in Paris with the Global HR Mgr who flew from the US, it was a friday. The interview, thorough and open (we discussed the reason of the secrecy policy and she shared the difficulty of applying forced ranking performance in europe), went well enough that she asked me at the end to make myself available to meet the CEO on the next thursday. She was to call me monday or tueday to let me know if breakfast or afternoon meeting could be organized on that thursday. I then asked her if she was ready to discuss package, she said she wasn't and asked me if i had given my current package yet. i told her that this information was part of the initial online questionnaire, feeling she had overlooked it. Monday, no call, tuesday no call even after my attemps to reach her. I didn't fly onthat wednesday evening tio Marseille.
Since then (3 weeks after!!!), not a word from anybody from Rainbird. After having dreamt of this job (litterally), i'm glad tody i didn't join such an unprofessional and unrespectful of people company (i say company as i believe the Global HR person either drives or at least embodies company spirit). I advise anybody who has a minimum self-esteem not to join either.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with firing so-so performers?   Answer Question
  • How would you convince management to adopt forced ranking (illegal in France)?   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Rain Bird in February 2010.

Interview Details – The company recruiter contacted me after viewing my profile on LinkedIn. She completed an initial phone interview and scheduled a phone interview with the VP. The phone interviews were basic "tell me about yourself" interviews. The phone interviews concluded with an invitation for a visit to the company to meet several members of company management. I was on my way to the airport for the flight booked by Rainbird when the VP called my cell phone to see when I would be arriving at her office-she thought I was coming that day. I am not sure what her recruiter had communicated to her but after I asked if we needed to reschedule, I was told to get on the plane and everything would be fine. Upon arriving at their office the next morning, I learned that they already had another candidate arriving at the same time and there was a constant shuffle throughout the day because people were not prepared to interview two people. There did not seem to be any preparation about roles in the interview process and the interview was very one sided. They had questions but did not seem willing to share any information about the company so it was impossible to get a clear picture of their needs. They are a very private company-only 1 or 2 people know how many total employees work at this company (for certain). After a few days, I received 1 email from the company telling me they wanted to book a second visit. About 15 minutes later, I received an email saying they had found a better qualified applicant but thanks for the interest. Overall, the company had a tired feeling-the location where the interview was held was almost empty-it was very quiet. After being in a company that had experienced a lot of difficulty and lay-offs, it did not feel very secure even though the people said they were in good shape. No detail of their financial condition could be shared.

Interview Question – What types of employee surveys have you used and tell me about the process?   Answer Question

Project Engineer Interview

Project Engineer

The process took a day - interviewed at Rain Bird in January 2011.

Interview Details – The phone screening was with a recruiter, that was very thorough and straight to the point. She gave me some insight on the company and their challenges and I was allowed to communicate exactly what I was looking for. My perception of the company was that it has a relaxed and inviting atmosphere.

Interview Question – What is you biggest weakness?   View Answer

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Rain Bird in November 2008.

Interview Details – The process was to involve 2 interviews, but I was told in the 1st interview that the guy who gave the 2nd interview was impossible. He was to be the boss. When leaving I met him and he was a real jerk. I declined the 2nd interview.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected - all job function related. Heavy emphasis on MBA.   View Answer

Engineering Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Rain Bird in January 2008.

Interview Details – Started with phone interview, followed with 2nd phone interview. Then 1 full day of onside interview.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Rain Bird