Rainbow USA

Relevance Date Difficulty

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager
Winter Haven, FL

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Rainbow USA in September 2012.

Interview Details – There is no streamline process to hiring with this company. Upper management is not very professional. Payroll hours are very tight and they absolutely do not tolerate any payroll overages, ever. This is stressed during the Interview. Most stores are at the minimum payroll allowance and they encourage single person morning coverage 7 days a week. The store manager often has to work open-close at least once a week to have double coverage to get tasks done. While you are interviewing, it is important to say if you are willing to do such things, that is what they are looking for. Salary managers are required to work 45-48 hours a week but it works out to more like 54 hours a week. It is a lot of work but it is not very hard. The company itself is not very professional. Their POS system is ancient. Company communication is also very poor and not very professional.

Interview Question – They are very big on shrink, so knowing your numbers does help. Knowing basic LP also helps.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The DM makes the offer and says something along the line of This is as good as it's going to get. They do not negotiate salary. As far as salary retail goes be prepared to not get an offer comparable to other retailers.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Rainbow USA in March 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, received a phone call 2 weeks later for an interview. When I arrived it turned out I was being interviewed by the district manager. She was a nice lady. Some questions included tell me about yourself, if your manager did something wrong would you tell them?, do you mine taking orders from somebody?, what would you do if you could not satisfy an angry customer. She said I needed to leave 2 references because its mandatory that you have 2 good reference checks to get hired. I then received a phone call then next day to have a 2nd interview with the store manager. She told me to bring my id & ss. The 2nd interview was pretty much the same. She asked the some of the same questions as the district manager did no new ones. She also went over the store rules & policies. She also added that I didn't only have to give previous employment references, I could give them a friends number. So, I gave them two of my best friends contact numbers. After the interview was over she said she would call me the next day. I didn't receive a call so I decided to give them a call & she told me I got the job!

Interview Question – basic retail store questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – minimum wage

Ecommerce/Coordinator Copywriter Interview

Brooklyn, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Rainbow USA in July 2012.

Interview Details – I applied for this position in June 2012 via indeed.com and on their company website. The description sounded like something I was very capable of doing and I met the requirements. I didn't get a call back so I reached out to the recruiter via linked in and landed an interview...a month and a half later. The recruiter was very very nice from there on if only everyone else on the team could be this way.

Interview Question – I met with two people one on the marketing team and one on the ecommerce team. The lady in the marketing team seemed to be asking me great questions and really liked the project I put together for my interview. The director of Ecommerce however, came to my interview late and was very unorganized. He began to ask me very rude questions about my résumé such as, why i was only at my past internships for 6 months(internships usually last 3-6 months last time I checked) and if was I fired from my last job ( have some tact and ask me what happened at my last job instead of assuming I was fired.) then he asked me what I liked about Rainbow Shops clothing....seriously. I have a degree and 3 years ecommerce merchandising experience. What do I like about Rainbow Shops clothing shouldn't be a question at this position level. Then he left for a meeting and left me with the marketing manager. The corporate offices are in East NY Brooklyn, not the most safest place to work. With all that being said, this company should've been happier to see someone with my experience, background, and the fact that I hunted them down for an opportunity ready and willing to work for them and eager to help them start up their website. Which by the way still isn't up. The company is completely missing a huge market online by not having an online store, or even a blog when it's competitors have had an online store for years.

I would not recommend any one to apply to the web copywriter & ecommerce positions.
The HR department should train their executives who are conducting interviews. It's a waste of the candidates time as well as the companies time.

You should consider bringing in a new ecommerce manager in order to launch your website and have an online presence. The manager has been there for two years and still doesn't have an online store. His time has expired.
  Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Cashiers Interview

Houston, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Rainbow USA in September 2008.

Interview Details – I was interview by one person, easy question mostly about what you know about the company.

Interview Question – Honestly I can't remember the interviewer she was pretty nice and ask simple question. But It if I must Answere the most difficult question was were do I see my self in 5 years with the company.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It was Pertty much laid out fOr me

Corporate Interview

Brooklyn, NY

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Rainbow USA in September 2011.

Interview Details – I had two interviews and met with the head of HR and with the COO. They didn't ask any difficult questions, listened to what I had to say, and spoke a lot about the company. My only concern was with the COO, who is related to the company founder, and got the job not due to his business acumen, but because of the family relationship. He struggled a bit with the questions, and at times did not understand the common industry terms I was using. My biggest concern about this job was the location - the corporate office is located in one of the poorest and most dangerous neighborhoods in Brooklyn, definitely not the place of your dreams. But I was pleasantly surprised with how nice were all the people that worked there. Overall, even though the company has 1100+ stores nationwide, it still feels like it runs as a small family-owned business, always short on cash and not having a budget for anything. If you decide to work there, expect long hours, mediocre benefits, and lack of opportunities. But I'm sure it's a great place to get experience: if you can make it there, you can make it anywhere.

Interview Question – Tell me about your background   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate Interview

Miami, FL

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Rainbow USA in July 2008.

Interview Details – My first job. I went to turn in my application to the store manager, she looked at it and said " You've never worked before?" I said no, but I'm a fast learner & a hard worker. She looked at me and said, "I think I prefer that so I can mold you into what I need you to be". Then she told me to come back the next day to fill out some paperwork. I guess she just like me though.

Interview Question – You've never worked before?   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Rainbow USA in November 2010.

Interview Details – The initial interview was conducted by the District Manager and lasted approximately 1 hour. I was asked about my past experience in Retail, about my job duties. I had to give the reasons for leaving past employers, and ask what my loss prevention and sales figures where for past employers. After providing reference information from all of my previous employers I was told they would get back to me. After 2 days, I was called and offered the job and given a salary. This salary was not quite what I was expecting, but the District Manager promised that with the potential to make bonuses and their annual salary review and raises it would be equal to my asking salary. I excepted the position and only given 3 days training.

Interview Question – What were your shrink numbers from your past employer when you started with that company and what the shrink numbers were when you left?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Rainbow USA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rainbow USA interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Rainbow USA employees and interview candidates.