Rakuten

Updated Feb 17, 2015
Updated Feb 17, 2015

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Rakuten.

The first round is a Programming test and an Online interview. The programming test was an easy array problem on codility. It started with a small tutorial teaching you how to use the tool. Then you have 60 min to complete. It took me 20 minutes to finish (I finished in 5 min and took 15 to test my code..) The online interview asked three questions which were included in previous emails. Right now I am waiting for second round interview.

Interview Questions
    • In the email, I was told that you have 2 min to answer each of the questions during the online interview. But in fact you have 5 min...   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Process- online code assessment, then a 30-minute interview session with two people in the department.
    Interview- the interview was standard, basically questions about past projects and skills. As well as a few behavioral questions. What would you do if you disagreed with the leader? Why do you want to live in Japan?

Shared Infrastructure Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Rakuten in January 2015.

I was contacted by a recruiter company offering me a possition in Rakuten. Initially they send me a link where it shows you 5 videos of an HR employeed making you (5) questions. On that same link, you have to record your answers, be prepare to have your webcam and mic properly working, and no delays in the internet connection. After that I waited for several days. The recruiter contacted me and told me that they (Rakuten) liked my profile and wanted to make an interview with me through Skype (I'm a foreigner living outside Japan), but once I provided the tentative days and times when we could set up the interview, the Rakuten's hiring manager changed his decision and wanted to make a presencial interview instead of Skype, which automatically stopped the process and left me no option to apply for any possition there.

Interview Questions
    • Could we have your name and the reason why you are interested in Rakuten?

Please tell us your technical background and how you will be able to contribute to the success of the company.
      If you already have work experience, please share that as well.

What is your greatest strength and how you leverage your strength for peak performance?
      Please give us an example.

Have you ever changed your job? or are you trying to change your job?
      Please tell us why.

What are your career goal and career plans?
      How does this job fit into your career plans?

Answer Question

Sales/Marketing Interview

prior to a brief skype interview, you must take a challenging web test. the test takes abut 40 mins and is difficult. Must be bilingual. after three rounds of interviews, you get a face to face interview with the manager. be open minded and don't be nervous!

Technical Lead Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Rakuten in November 2014.

Applied through Job Portals. First round with HR over phone to check on Interest and Basic Skill Sets.

4 Rounds Onsite - 1 Written Test 2 Technical rounds and 1 Generic round to check on problem Solving Skills

Business New Grad Interview

I saw them at the LA Career Forum and really loved their presentation and thought I could contribute to this rapidly growing company. I opted to be interviewed as a walk-in immediately after the presentation. The interview was the day after with a young HR staff and we had a nice talk. She was very nice. We related by having similar background--we are both trilingual.

For those of you moved on further in the process, the booth next door with a sign saying "second round" interview had a different aura to it-multiple staff members (HR managers perhaps?) interviewing a candidate in Japanese, with questions roughly translating to "what is the most important thing as a member of society, as a Rakuten employee?" They sounded bossy and overbearing even to me waiting right outside the curtains of the booth.

I could not access the web assessment test just as I was about to ask them, I received a generic email saying they are not interested in pursuing my candidacy. Since I haven't taken the aptitude test I presume they didn't see me as a good fit--I don't have a strong business background/experience.

Tax Director Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Rakuten in October 2014.

The interview process was a bit involved since the human resource department is located in Boston but the US headquarters is in NY. The controller was a pleasant well seasoned professional. He was honest and direct regarding his concerns and what he was seeking from a tax director.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions but references to subordinates with quirky personality traits.   Answer Question

Business Position Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Rakuten in October 2014.

I applied through the Boston Career Forum, specifying that I was interested in a business position at the company. The process was extremely straightforward. I applied through the Forum's site, after which I was made to make an account on the Rakuten recruiting site. I then took an online proficiency test, watched an online presentation about the company, and wrote an essay covering my thoughts on a topic from the company's CEO. After completing these steps, I was allowed to schedule an interview via Skype in either English and Japanese. I was contacted on Skype exactly at my scheduled time. The interviewer was very friendly and her questions were straightforward, basic interview questions. If you've prepared you will have no trouble at all. The interview took about 20 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty basic, but I was caught off-guard when the interviewer asked me to just begin speaking in Japanese without any sort of topic. Not really sure of what I should say, I chose to do a self-introduction. This was extremely basic Japanese and probably did not particularly impress the interviewer.   Answer Question

New Grad Business Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied online – interviewed at Rakuten in October 2014.

Apply online get automated email to take aptitude test. It was really tough, not the questions but the time limit. Don't read instructions, just do the problems. After that automated email to tell you to set up Skype interview. Did that. Failed 1st interview. Was applying for more interviews at the career forum so the process was all done in under a week. Super quick.

Sales Consultant Interview

Applied online. Made a profile, took the tests. Interviewed once through skype (bilingual - English and Japanese) and once on site at Boston Career Forum (English). Wrote essay based on the CEO's book.

Interview Questions
    • What principles in the CEO's book did you identify the most with and why?   Answer Question