Rakuten

Updated Dec 12, 2014
Updated Dec 12, 2014

2.9

Sales/Marketing Interview

prior to a brief skype interview, you must take a challenging web test. the test takes abut 40 mins and is difficult. Must be bilingual. after three rounds of interviews, you get a face to face interview with the manager. be open minded and don't be nervous!

Technical Lead Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Rakuten in November 2014.

Applied through Job Portals. First round with HR over phone to check on Interest and Basic Skill Sets.

4 Rounds Onsite - 1 Written Test 2 Technical rounds and 1 Generic round to check on problem Solving Skills

Business New Grad Interview

I saw them at the LA Career Forum and really loved their presentation and thought I could contribute to this rapidly growing company. I opted to be interviewed as a walk-in immediately after the presentation. The interview was the day after with a young HR staff and we had a nice talk. She was very nice. We related by having similar background--we are both trilingual.

For those of you moved on further in the process, the booth next door with a sign saying "second round" interview had a different aura to it-multiple staff members (HR managers perhaps?) interviewing a candidate in Japanese, with questions roughly translating to "what is the most important thing as a member of society, as a Rakuten employee?" They sounded bossy and overbearing even to me waiting right outside the curtains of the booth.

I could not access the web assessment test just as I was about to ask them, I received a generic email saying they are not interested in pursuing my candidacy. Since I haven't taken the aptitude test I presume they didn't see me as a good fit--I don't have a strong business background/experience.

Tax Director Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Rakuten in October 2014.

The interview process was a bit involved since the human resource department is located in Boston but the US headquarters is in NY. The controller was a pleasant well seasoned professional. He was honest and direct regarding his concerns and what he was seeking from a tax director.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions but references to subordinates with quirky personality traits.   Answer Question

Business Position Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Rakuten in October 2014.

I applied through the Boston Career Forum, specifying that I was interested in a business position at the company. The process was extremely straightforward. I applied through the Forum's site, after which I was made to make an account on the Rakuten recruiting site. I then took an online proficiency test, watched an online presentation about the company, and wrote an essay covering my thoughts on a topic from the company's CEO. After completing these steps, I was allowed to schedule an interview via Skype in either English and Japanese. I was contacted on Skype exactly at my scheduled time. The interviewer was very friendly and her questions were straightforward, basic interview questions. If you've prepared you will have no trouble at all. The interview took about 20 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty basic, but I was caught off-guard when the interviewer asked me to just begin speaking in Japanese without any sort of topic. Not really sure of what I should say, I chose to do a self-introduction. This was extremely basic Japanese and probably did not particularly impress the interviewer.   Answer Question

New Grad Business Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Rakuten in October 2014.

Apply online get automated email to take aptitude test. It was really tough, not the questions but the time limit. Don't read instructions, just do the problems. After that automated email to tell you to set up Skype interview. Did that. Failed 1st interview. Was applying for more interviews at the career forum so the process was all done in under a week. Super quick.

Sales Consultant Interview

Applied online. Made a profile, took the tests. Interviewed once through skype (bilingual - English and Japanese) and once on site at Boston Career Forum (English). Wrote essay based on the CEO's book.

Interview Questions
    • What principles in the CEO's book did you identify the most with and why?   Answer Question

Business Entry Level Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Rakuten in February 2014.

I had my first and second interview at NYCF. The first round is a young HR, and the second round is a much more experienced manager, but the questions are pretty much similar. Both the interviews are in English, except a little bit of Japanese level test. All the questions are expected, like why you want to join Rakuten, why work in Japan, what's your biggest strength and etc. They had a dinner party after the second interview, and I had a chance to meet with other candidates there. I feel a little insecure because they all speak fluent Japanese. I'm still waiting for the second round result.

Entry-Level Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Rakuten in November 2013.

I applied through the Boston Career Forum website and after completing the web assessments, I had a Skype interview with an HR person. The questions were easy and were mostly about my background and experiences. The interview was conducted mostly in English, but I was asked a couple of vary basic questions in Japanese (the most surprising thing about Japan, favorite food, etc). It went for about 30 minutes.

I passed that round and set up an interview at the Boston Career Forum. My interview was in the morning with another HR person. The questions were very much like my Skype interview. It was all in English.

An hour later, I received a call from someone at Rakuten, saying that they were interested in interviewing me again that afternoon. I was taken aback, but promptly set up a time.

This time I interviewed with a more senior-level exec. I think he managed like 6 different departments. The questions were more of the same, yet he asked some questions that were more in-depth. We switched over into Japanese mid-interview. I think we got along well. He was a bigshot, but not intimidating at all. He seemed impressed by my work experiences in both America and Japan.

I found out late November through the Rakuten recruiting portal that I didn't get the job. The message was very generic, so I don't know exactly why I was rejected.

Ganbare to everyone applying!

Interview Questions
    • (In Japanese) What would you say is the most important thing for a company to keep in mind when expanding globally?   Answer Question

General New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online – interviewed at Rakuten in November 2013.

7 times 4 times skype and others in LA and Boston