Rally Software

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Kirkland, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Rally Software in April 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted by Rally while traveling and was unavailable to interview for a few weeks. They were very understanding and patient about it. When I was finally available, I began with a phone call with a recruiter that covered some basic questions. Next up was a phone conversation with a manager there. He mostly asked about my experience with the various tools/libraries they use(and they use a lot of them). I did not have exposure to most of them, but I made it to the next stage.

This was a coding exercise, done at home. There was no due date per se. They use TDD and I was asked to complete the exercise in that format, making frequent code checkins to Github. I passed that exercise as well, and was brought onsite for an hour code review with 2 developers. We examined the code I wrote, talked about my choices for design, etc. They made a couple of valid observations regarding optimization.

I did OK on that part, and was brought onsite again, this time for almost five hours. It began with an hour algorithm session where they had me whiteboard some code to solve a problem. I did OK, they made some suggestions that I was able to follow-up on much better, I think. Then it was a 1.5 hour pair programming exercise. I have only pair-programmed informally, a few times. It went OK but I was out of my experience zone a bit there. Lastly, lunch with 3 of the developers. Lunch with people at a company is a common thing, but don't ever forget- it's still an interview.

Everyone was very nice during the whole process and it seems like a great place to work. I think a developer would really have the opportunity to learn a lot of new things. Their office is completely open- no cubes. You are sitting side by side with your coworkers. If you are the kind of person that wants to put on headphones and work alone all day, it's probably not the right place for you.

Also, they asked for references as part of the online application. Many companies refuse to give references anymore. They'll confirm start and end dates, and last salary- that's it. Be prepared to list references if you pursue a job with Rally.

In the end, I did not get an offer. They were looking for someone with a little more front-end experience, and I would guess, more familiarity with the various tools and libraries they use.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Boulder, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Rally Software in February 2014.

Interview Details – Starts of with a phone screen, followed by a take home coding example, which is then followed by the code review of the coding example (I did not progress past that stage)

Interview Question – They are big into pair programming, so they probe to see if you are a good fit in that area.   Answer Question

Web Applications Developer Interview

Web Applications Developer

Interviewed at Rally Software

Interview Details – I spoke with an employer for about a month before being asked in for an interview. Prior to the interview they had be write a todo app using any language I wanted. When I arrived, I was asked a plethora of "thinking questions" so my interviewers could see how I thought. They asked me things like: "How much would I need to pay you to clean every windows on the empire state building". They then asked me questions regarding my code, and how I tested it, and general technical questions.

Interview Question – "We want to roll back to a previous version of our website. How would you go about moving all of the data from our current site to the previous version?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was just happy to get it.

Inside Sales Manager Interview

Inside Sales Manager
Boulder, CO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Rally Software.

Interview Details – Interviewed by team members and Sr. Management

Interview Question – Test your experience with Agile.   View Answer

Web Applications Developer Interview

Web Applications Developer

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Rally Software.

Interview Details – I made it through the prescreening no problem and was given a list of five problems -- solve one. I chose to solve it in ruby and then a follow up with two people to peer review. I must have made an impression because I was brought onsite. Everyone was very cordial and the environment looked like a lot of fun.

First interview was with two developers, simple 1-on-2 about my background and what happens at Rally. Then I pair programmed with two junior developers and that went well. Next, another two developers took me out to lunch. Finally, a met with a manager and I believe the interview went great. She even said at the end of the interview that she wasn't going to bother with a technical challenge since I had already proven myself with my skill set.

That was it. A day later, I got an email from Rally saying they were going to pass. No explanation, just a "bug off and have a nice day" (nicer words than that). I tried to follow up on figuring out why I was not accepted, but was simply ignored. And that was the end of that.

I got a free lunch out of the deal, but it'd be nice if the company was a bit more transparent on their expectations.

Interview Question – Nothing very difficult.
The first coding problem was to write a string interpolation function.
The pair programming exercise was to translate a number (2508.23) into English currency. e.g. "Twenty five thousand eight dollars and twenty three cents"
  Answer Question

Agile Coach Interview

Agile Coach

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Rally Software in March 2009.

Interview Details – This process has changed over the years as they continue to inspect and adapt how they interview. However, the one thing that has remained constant is having a wide variety of people across the organization interview the coaches. So you may end up interviewing with not only services, but also sales, marketing, some of the exec team and possibly engineering.

Interview Question – How is agile coaching similar to parenting?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Raleigh, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Rally Software.

Interview Details – Interview required implementing a working project of your choice using the agilezen API. Then I was interviewed by the development team Andrade to justify decisions and code for the project.

Interview Question – The project did take about 5 hours to complete.   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Web Developer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Rally Software.

Interview Details – First, I had a 1:1 interview with a manager which went well with basic java questions. After that there was a take home coding challenge and a discussion of the code. Not really knowing what to expect I wrote the program and it worked fine. During the discussion with a different manager and an engineer it then became clear that the expectation was to write this small program with a heavily object oriented approach. Since on interviews you generally try and solve the problem as efficiently as possible I was not expecting this. I talked about why hashing made sense in the approach I took instead of using an array since the lookups were O(1) and the manager clearly didn't understand big O or hashing so he cut me off and immediately changed the subject every time I brought it up. They then asked a lot of the same questions the previous manager asked and didn't really seem interested in any explanation for the answers.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult, mostly questions about Java but not explanation of the answers was required.   Answer Question

Senior SaaS Operations Engineer Interview

Senior SaaS Operations Engineer
Boulder, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Rally Software in March 2012.

Interview Details – I had an initial interview over the phone with the manager of the group, then I was brought back for a face to face panel interview, finally I had my last interview with HR and the manager and was taken out to Lunch buy a big group of people.

Interview Question – How do you measure the "success" of a production feature release?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was given the opportunity to interview and they made sure they offered more then my current salary.

Sales Interview

Sales
Boulder, CO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Rally Software in August 2010.

Interview Details – referred by a friend. Interviewed with EVP. was hired

Interview Question – my experience   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Rally Software

Worked for Rally Software? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rally Software interview questions and advice. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by Rally Software employees and interview candidates.