Randalls Interview Questions

1.9

Night Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Round Rock, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Round Rock, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Randalls in June 2014.

Single interview with Assistant Store Director only, No double interview, no District Manager approval, not even an interview with the Chief Store Director.

Questions were idiot proof, this is a Department Manger position, no thorough discussion on managing a Department is covered.

Interview Questions
    • None, should note there was an sales solicitation question/exercise which is very atypical for grocery.   Answer Question
    Just a call, I was told when I'd start and the pay I would receive

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Randalls in July 2013.

Well you apply, then you constantly annoy the hiring manager with one to two phone calls a week, wait one to two weeks, get called in for an interview, ace interview because it is easy, pass drug test (it's the cotton swab in the mouth one) and if you somehow pass this test, they'll make you an offer and then you get hired.

Interview Questions
    Well, we're going to offer you this position with a starting pay of 7.75 an hour.

Bakery Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Randalls.

Contacted by a company recruiter for a phone interview . A second interview was set up,in the store with the,recruiter and the regional bakery coordinator. I was offered the job and and a drug test was required prior to,the final offer.

Interview Questions
    I was offered one wage and when I asked for something higher, they asked if I would decline the offer if,they did not meet my expectation.in retrospect, I would say I would not accept the offer unless they met my wage expectation.

Deli Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Randalls in October 2012.

The head manager calls and sets up an interview with you and they show you all of the things that you have to do and ask you if you would be able to do it without difficulty. Interview questions include: Why do you think you can do this job? What is a good thing that you have done? How would your old employees/teachers describe you? Do you think you can talk to the customers and sell an item, give me an example of something that you would try to sell. They ask you if you would be fine fulfilling all of the requirements of the job. I was hired on the spot, I had to submit paperwork , had a drug test, and a background check done that same day.

Interview Questions
    • What is the best thing you have done?
      What is the most negative thing about you?
      How would you do this?
      Why do you think you would be an appropriate fit for this company?
      Would you be willing to work weekends/holidays? (required)
        Answer Question
    They gave me a set pay, there was no negotiating.

Checker/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellaire, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellaire, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Randalls in March 2011.

I went to the customer service booth , was told to put an applciation online and come back the next day cause they would be doing the hiring in person. ask for a certain manager. It was a
    rushed interview. it only took 20 mintues in the manager's office. ask me Did I have cashering experience?, did I know basic math? ask me why did I leave my other employer? Do I reliable transportion? Can i work a flexible schedule?

Interview Questions
    • where do you see your self in the next five years?   View Answer
    no real negotiation unless you have 10 years or so in Grocery retail, anything less than in the cashiering area gets basic mininum wage

Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Randalls in January 2011.

I was contacted by an in- store recruiter who had seen my resume on line. Over the phone, there was a brief explanation of the job followed by a few confirming questions. An interview was scheduled for a week later which consisted of the recruiter/ HR person and the regional department merchandiser. It was fairly standard questions- why did you leave your job, etc. and there was a focus on customer service issues.

Interview Questions
    • In your previous role, you appear to have had little interaction with customers. At Randalls we pride ourselves on our customer service. How do you feel you will do in a retail setting?   View Answer
    They made me an offer the day after the interview. I asked for more money and we met in the middle. At the appointment to fill out new hire paperwork, I was given an oral drug test ( surprise, surprise) and made to sit in an office for 10 minutes with a huge Q-tip in my mouth. Humiliating and uncomfortable, to say the least.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Randalls in September 2010.

Didnt really have an interview I just apply online and got hire on spot.

No negotiations

Deli Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Randalls in August 2010.

There was a single interview. The questions where pretty general. Eg: what experience did I have in retail. Would I be able to do x,y,z? The manager interviewing me seemed to be nice. They as well asked about basic skills in the sense of can you do math, read and write etc.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have any experience in a deli? At the time I was interviewing for a cashier job and had not thought about interviewing for a deli position.   View Answer
    Not really the salaries according to the manager are set by the parent company (Safeway).

Baker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at Randalls in May 2010.

Applied on line and sent resume. They sent a note and requested I call and set up interview time. I had 1-1 interview with Store manager and head baker. The people were professional and friendly. They asked about teamwork, taking directions and committment to a 4:00 am start time. I surprised them asking them questions about how they handled situations on teams when they arose, what they would do differently given the opportunity and how open they were to suggestions for improvement. I think those questions put them off of me as a selection. They wanted someone just to be a baker but not much else.