Random House

Getting the Interview

2 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Editorial Assistant Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Random House.

Interview Details – I was an intern in a different imprint at RH children's. I applied for the position and asked my supervisors to speak to the hiring editors on my behalf, which they did. I then had a brief initial interview with one editor. Two weeks or so later, I had a second round of interviews with all three editors I'd be working with. Maybe two weeks later, I was hired.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Editorial Assistant Interview

Editorial Assistant
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Random House in July 2012.

Interview Details – After sending in my resume, I was contacted by a human resources employee by email for an interview. We set up a time and date for me to interview the next morning (which she ended up changing without telling me, so no one was expecting me when I showed up...a mistake for which she took complete responsibility). Other than the scheduling miscommunication, the interviews (three in a row—first with the HR person, then individuals with the two people I would be working for) seemed to go well. I dressed up but not too much, which worked out—a suit wouldn’t have been out of place, but an outfit approximating one was fine too. I did as much research on the imprint as I could, and it helped that the HR person provided me with a list of the editor’s titles. The people were very nice, and the office was very quiet, and a bit confusing to get around (Random House owns the whole building, which is oddly divided down the center—I think).

Interview Question – Tell me about a difficult decision you had to make. Do you regret it?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Random House? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Random House Editorial Assistant interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Random House employees and interview candidates.