Random House Interview Questions

Updated Jun 14, 2015

2.6

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Random House (New York, NY) in December 2014.

Interview

I met with the publisher one on one and was told about the job and company and what both entailed. I then prepared a sample reader's report on a manuscript.

Assistant Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Random House (New York, NY).

Interview

I was interviewed in the Human Resources Dept. I was fifteen minutes early and I had a few extra moments to prepare for the interview. The interviewer asked me what I knew about Random House. She also asked me what I thought about the future of publishing. I was glad that I had done some research before the interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you see the publishing industry in ten years, and what will your place be in it?   Answer Question

Events Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Random House.

Interview

Applied online - was contacted by phone a week later. Had a short (30 mins) phone interview, then was invited to an in-person interview (2 hrs) at headquarters. Overall a good interview process.

Editorial Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Random House.

Interview

Random House, the world's largest trade book publisher, has countless imprints all around the world. I was surprised but glad to see an imprint located in California. I applied online on the Random House website on a Sunday afternoon and on Wednesday afternoon (West Coast Time), I check my phone and see a voicemail from New York City. As someone with no personal connections here, I was pretty surprised about the quick response, especially after an automated email had said the process would take a while. It's from a Random House recruiter/HR person, and she wants to speak with me about the Editorial Assistant position. She's very calm and polite. I call her back within the hour and there is no response, so I leave a quick voicemail. 24 hours, I still haven't heard back, so I decide to call again. This time, she quickly answers the phone and is very glad that I called her back. She opens my resume and we talk for about 10 minutes, although it feels longer because a lot of information on my part gets crammed in. The questions aren't difficult to answer, especially if you have your own resume open on your computer as well (as you should). You basically update about what you've been up to and what environment you work well in, and what your favorite or most notable job experience has been. It felt difficult to not do well over the phone screening. However, I sensed that competition is fierce so there is a lot going on (as in, being considered) outside of the phone call. She said they were taking the week to call finalists and then would decide by Friday afternoon or Monday of those they wanted to come in to interview. I didn't get a call back by Monday so I wait until Tuesday afternoon to call her again. She answers the phone and said that she meant to call me on Monday, but was sick. She says that the Hiring Manager (of the imprint) has made a list of the applicants she wants to see, and I'm not on that list. However, I would be called in if they decided they wanted to see more people. It's unfortunate that the person screening didn't seem to be the person making the in-person interview decisions, but that's not too surprising considering she and the RH Headquarters are all the way in NYC while the imprint is in CA. It's hard to say what the Hiring Manger based her decisions off of, other than simply the resume submitted. I suspect that in this case, the screener had very little say in the matter, even if she was the one to speak with the top applicants.

Interview Questions

• The questions were all pretty straightforward. Consider your resume and the work environments you work the best in.   Answer Question

Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Random House.

Interview

Applied online. Received interview request about a month later. First met with HR, then with the person(s) I would be assisting. Called in for a second interview to meet with another director. Hired within a week of the process.

Interview Questions

• Favorite product from the department, where you see yourself in 5 years.   1 Answer

Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Random House.

Interview

Applied online on their web site. Got a phone call to come in to chat with HR, it was very informal. Then met with the hiring manager the same day. She sent me a minor copy test just to make sure I'm not an idiot then was hired the next week.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Non-negotiable entry level salary. Your promotions are where you negotiate

Editorial Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Random House.

Interview

I was an intern in a different imprint at RH children's. I applied for the position and asked my supervisors to speak to the hiring editors on my behalf, which they did. I then had a brief initial interview with one editor. Two weeks or so later, I had a second round of interviews with all three editors I'd be working with. Maybe two weeks later, I was hired.

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Random House (New York, NY).

Interview

was transferred over from another company so I didn't have to interview for the position

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was told the new salary, not much negotiating.

Production Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Random House (New York, NY).

Interview

I submitted an application online and received a phone call a week later from HR. We had a brief phone interview (why do you want to work here, etc.) and she asked me to come in for a one and one interview with her. Met with the same HR rep, had a brief interview with her and then proceeded to interview with a manager of a department. Then I interviewed with two other departments a few weeks later. I was called back for another interview with the second department I interviewed with, met with the manager and other associates. The interview was very laid back and they just asked me about my college life and internships. Received a call a two months after the initial interview about an offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no room to negotiate since it was an entry level job and it was my first post college job. All entry level salaries started really low, but was higher than other publishing houses.

Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Random House (New York, NY).

Interview

I met with HR first, and then I met with the hiring manager. I met with the hiring manager a second time maybe a week later to go over some more details and talk some more about the position, and then I received an offer a few days later. All in all, it was pretty straightforward and low-key.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in five years? (Hard to answer in a changing industry!)   Answer Question