Random House

Relevance Date Difficulty

Contract Associate Interview

Contract Associate
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Random House in October 2010.

Interview Details – After applying online, either through the company site or a third party site, you get a initial phone interview from someone in HR. After that, they set up an interview in office within the week. You start off having a 1:1 interview with HR before being escorted to the hiring manager(s). Then there is a 1:1 interview with the people looking to fill the position. Sometimes there are calls back when the pool of candidates is narrowed down. The process is fairly quick, taking about 2 weeks from application to decision.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 3 years?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't much negotiation, though I was given the impression that benefits included a higher rate of salary adjustment than other companies [6% instead of 3%]. Don't be fooled. Get it in writing.

EBook Production Technician Interview

EBook Production Technician
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Random House in August 2011.

Interview Details – Great interview. No BS. "Can you do the job? How would you do the job?" Then a small test. No "what's your greatest weakness" crap.

Interview Question – Nothing. It was all tech questions, which I knew.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Director
New York, NY

I applied through other source and interviewed at Random House.

Interview Details – was transferred over from another company so I didn't have to interview for the position

Interview Question – did not apply to my situation   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was told the new salary, not much negotiating.

Production Associate Interview

Production Associate
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Random House.

Interview Details – I submitted an application online and received a phone call a week later from HR. We had a brief phone interview (why do you want to work here, etc.) and she asked me to come in for a one and one interview with her. Met with the same HR rep, had a brief interview with her and then proceeded to interview with a manager of a department. Then I interviewed with two other departments a few weeks later. I was called back for another interview with the second department I interviewed with, met with the manager and other associates. The interview was very laid back and they just asked me about my college life and internships.

Received a call a two months after the initial interview about an offer.

Interview Question – No difficult questions. Very standard.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no room to negotiate since it was an entry level job and it was my first post college job. All entry level salaries started really low, but was higher than other publishing houses.

Marketing Associate Interview

Marketing Associate
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Random House.

Interview Details – I met with HR first, and then I met with the hiring manager. I met with the hiring manager a second time maybe a week later to go over some more details and talk some more about the position, and then I received an offer a few days later. All in all, it was pretty straightforward and low-key.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in five years? (Hard to answer in a changing industry!)   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Random House.

Interview Details – My direct supervisor reached out directly to my university's career services offices to post a listing. I responded with a cover letter and a resume and within a few days, we had scheduled an interview. The interview was short and rather informal—I had expected something more serious, but it was a good experience. Interviewer was positive and upbeat and receptive to me being honest about the fact I am introverted but interested in publicity work. Hiring manager contacted me a little over a week later offering me the position.

Interview Question – Why are you moving from editorial to publicity work?   Answer Question

Editorial Assistant Interview

Editorial Assistant
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Random House in July 2012.

Interview Details – After sending in my resume, I was contacted by a human resources employee by email for an interview. We set up a time and date for me to interview the next morning (which she ended up changing without telling me, so no one was expecting me when I showed up...a mistake for which she took complete responsibility). Other than the scheduling miscommunication, the interviews (three in a row—first with the HR person, then individuals with the two people I would be working for) seemed to go well. I dressed up but not too much, which worked out—a suit wouldn’t have been out of place, but an outfit approximating one was fine too. I did as much research on the imprint as I could, and it helped that the HR person provided me with a list of the editor’s titles. The people were very nice, and the office was very quiet, and a bit confusing to get around (Random House owns the whole building, which is oddly divided down the center—I think).

Interview Question – Tell me about a difficult decision you had to make. Do you regret it?   Answer Question

Publicity Assistant Interview

Publicity Assistant
New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Random House in June 2010.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview with the HR manager that seemed pretty typical: asked about my favorite books, why I'd like to work in publicity, etc.

When I came in, I had three separate 1:1 interviews with the HR manager and two of the publicists, which seemed grueling. One of the interviews was conversational (with a publicist), the other two were more formal.

Assistant Editor Interview

Assistant Editor
New York, NY

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Random House in June 2009.

Interview Details – Phone interview asked about college, very general. The interviewer, a senior editor seemed distracted (took two calls). Followed in two weeks by a requestion to come in for in-person interview. Met with four people, one HR, other low-level editors. Each completely different. There weren't many tough questions, standard behavioral questions and a few about what I read. It was impressed on me that this job requires lots of "homework."

Interview Question – Why are you interested in working here?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Had offer elsewhere

Publicity Assistant Interview

Publicity Assistant
New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Random House in May 2007.

Interview Details – Effective - I met with the Publicity Director, Associate Director and Senior Publicist all within one hour.

Interview Question – What salary are you looking for?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was offered the job within two hours of the interview, but given only a few days to make my decision

Worked for Random House? Contribute to the Community!