Random House

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Operations Project Leader Interview

Westminster, MD

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Random House in August 2010.

Interview Details – I applied through the main Random House, LLC website. After about a month, I received a call from the HR manager requesting a telephone interview. Set up for another time, two ladies from the Operations section called me. During the telephone interview, I was asked very general questions such as: What interested you in Random House? What is your greatest strength/weakness? The interview was rocky as I was on speaker phone and could not clearly hear the questions. The two young ladies that interviewed me were professional, but could have used a more experience in the interview department.

I was called about a week later for 3 group interviews, scheduled to take place over a 3 hour time period. I met with HR first, who were very professional and organized. I then met with the first group, a V.P. of Operations and one of the young ladies I would be working with. They did not seem to know what they really wanted out of the position. From what it sounded like, they needed someone to coordinate teams to answer very general, knee-jerk reaction questions as to why money was being lost in certain areas. Presented as a scape goat position. Also, V.P. wanted to ensure a lot of "hand-holding" could be expected for other senior management.

Finally, I met with another group. With the exception of the V.P., all of these people, while very nice, could not have been over 22-25, and it showed. Again, very general questions. I had to tell them where I could take the Operations Department, and they seemed less than interested. Questions such as "how do you deal with conflict" and "what is your greatest regret" seemed more like an interview with a psychologist, not a potential employer. I expected questions such as: Tell me about the time you increased profits by ".."% within the first quarter while working at -----.

They still have not hired anyone, even though 6 people interviewed over the telephone, and 3 in person. Who knows how many qualified people even applied.

If the idea of the position is to conduct cost/benefit analysis, streamline operational procedures and cut costs, someone should tell them. I consider it a bullet dodged. I'll take my over-educated over-qualified self somewhere else.

Interview Question – What is your greatest regret?   View Answers (2)

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Random House? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Random House interview questions and advice in Westminster, MD. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Random House employees and interview candidates.