Rapid7 Business Development Representative Interview Questions

Updated Sep 11, 2014

2.8

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Business Development Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Rapid7.

Applied through a reference, then spoke with a recruiter for about 15 minutes over the phone. The phone screening was relatively straight forward - they run through your resume. I would recommend trying to turn it into a conversation as best you can. I was then asked to fill out a personality test online and come into the office for four 30 minute interviews with members of the sales team. It's not a very technical process, they're looking to see if you're motivated and easy to talk to - technical knowledge is teachable.

I'd like to note that a lot of the crazy reviews on this site from several years ago are true (from what people have told me), but also extremely outdated. The company made an enormous shift about 2 years ago by bringing in new management and changing the sales model entirely. The training program is unparalleled, they truly invest in you for the first month (about 5 hours of training per day for 4 weeks).

Interview Questions
No negotiation - it's an entry-level position

Other Interview Reviews for Rapid7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online - interviewed at Rapid7 in January 2013.

First step was a phone screen by someone in HR. I went onsite for 2 hours and met with three people. I thought it went really well - seemed like a great group of people, but they never returned any of my calls or email to give me feedback.

Interview Questions
    • If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Rapid7 in July 2013.

I had a phone interview for this position on a Friday and was asked my availability to come for an in-person interview for the following Monday or Tuesday. I said it had to be in the afternoon because I had another job still. On Monday, I get an email with my scheduled interview at 8:45 am the next day. Annoyed by the total disregard of my availability (why bother asking), I rearranged my schedule to attend. I got to the office building at 8:30 to find my name was not registered at the security desk. I called my point of contact twice with no answer. I used the phone at security to call the main office line. No answer. I emailed my point of contact asking what I should do. With no answer, at 9:00am I left. I was in complete shock as my first time slot was supposed to be with the exact woman who was blowing me off. At 9:05 I sent another email to let them know I was no longer interested and that they had completely wasted my time. Fifteen minutes later, I get an email -an EMAIL, not a phone call - apologizing for the miscommunication. Apparently, she was "tied up" in a meeting during my interview slot and didn't realize she had screwed up with security. I responded to her half-hearted email saying I would like to time to think about whether I wanted to interview at a different date. She never even responded to that email. I have not heard from anyone at this company since. This is by far the most unprofessional firm I have ever dealt with and if this is any indication of how they treat their employees, it is definitely not a place I would ever want to work.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected questions in the phone interview - I never had an in person interview after the first disaster.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Rapid7 in January 2012.

I interviewed for a business development representative in the Boston office. The interview consisted of two parts in which I met with two regional managers. They asked me several questions, and it seemed like they were seeing if my personality and skills matched up with those desired of someone in the position. I left the interview on a good note. They called me back a few days later to schedule another interview.

Interview Questions
    • Describe an accomplishment that you had to work really hard for, and how did you make sure you accomplished that goal?   Answer Question
    • Tell me the last thing byou bought. Sell it to me.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Rapid7 in January 2011.

I first received a phonecall from an upper-level sales manager during which I was asked several questions regarding my resume then asked to describe myself openly. The manager responded that Rapid7 was interviewing and wanted me to come in that afternoon.

At the interview I was greeted by an empty receptionist's desk and a sign asking me to proceed into another room, where I was greeted by a very friendly employee who offered me a refreshment. This room, by the way, was full of what seemed to be the entire sales staff - roughly 30 individuals playing around in an apparently very easy going yet competitive office environment. It looked very fun and they were bumping pop and techno music. I waited with another candidate for the same position and chatted as we were put on a hold of roughly 20 minutes until the hiring rep met us both and we sat down to further go over the interview questions. Dialogue consisted of ordinary questions lasting roughly 15 minutes. I then waited for the next interviewer, who kept me waiting for at least 15 minutes. This section went over the day-to-day activities, the product, and the pay structure, during which I did less than 10% of the talking. I really liked both interviewers, although I was skeptical of how much they promised was likely, and how much was the pitch of a trained, tactical salesperson. I am wary that their descriptions of the job were leaving out some key variables.

I was impressed by the transparent structure of the office and the attractive pay scale for a recent college grad amidst a recession. I think this company is excellent for anyone willing to dedicate himself to a subject that is really not that appealing. Rapid7's business model is simple: it can take an average Joe with a college degree and (if he wills) turn him into a successful salesman. Do I think their training program and day-to-day work is demaning? Yes. Is this an ultra-competitive work environment? Yes. But if you are a personable competitor want to really hone a sales skill and make a decent, and most important steady, salary with options for commissions, this is an great place for you.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Rapid7 in May 2010.

I was called by a recruiter who was really energetic and seemed very passionate about the company, so I agreed to go in for an in person interview after a brief phone interview.

When I got to the office, I was definitely surprised, and I must admit intimidated, by the sales team and the energy on the sales floor. However, that did not last long at all.... Because I arrived early to the interview, I sat in the lobby/waiting area for about 10 minutes and At least 5 or 6 people walking by asked me if I was being helped or if I needed anything. I definitely felt better after seeing and meeting some of the Rapid 7 people.

I endedup meeting with a few sales managers who asked me to talk about myself and my goals and what I was looking for in a new career. Everyone I mthe had so much passion for what they did and for the company, that I left my 1st interview really excited and eager to get started. After an interview meeting with a couple more Sales people, I was offered the job and accepted.

My only words of wisdom are not to hold back. I did not truly realize until the 2nd interview that I needed to loosen up a bit and that they were truly trying to get to know me as a person. I would also say that If you are a shy or quiet person, the Business Development Rep position might not be the best fit.

Interview Questions
    • What do you feel could be a potential challenge that might prevent you from being successful in Sales?   Answer Question
    This was an entry level job out of college, so I didn't think I was really supposed to negotiate salary.

Worked for Rapid7? Contribute to the Community!