Rapleaf

Rapleaf Interview Questions

3.3

Amazing Software Engineering Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Rapleaf in January 2012.

Absolutely the most impersonal interviewing process I've ever been through. I added one of their infosessions at UCLA and dropped off a resume. The presentation was so so and the recruiter was boring. If it wasn't for the free food, I would have left after the first 5 mins.
    A few days later, I got an email with a link to an online quiz that they do instead of an initial phone interview. Given that I was a first year computer science major, the quiz was somewhat difficult. They asked questions about database, algorithms, probability etc. and the most bizzarre one, why you would want to work at a company like Rapleaf?
    I'm sorry, Rapleaf is not Google or Apple, asking that question seems a little overconfident.
    Basically, all the questions were irrelevant and probably irrelevant on the job as well. The disappointing part is that I actually expected them to be hiring someone with a personality since their job description wanted "fun, outgoing, team worker", etc.

Interview Questions
    • Your best friend Betty thinks IMDB (www.imdb.com) is too complicated and challenges you to create a simple movie web site. One page will display movies (with movie name, date it was released, and list of actors). Click on an actor and you’re taken to the actor page (with actor name, birthday, bio, and list of movies actor has been in). Please outline the relational table structure of the database for this.   Answer Question
    • Bubble sort is O(n) at best, O(n^2) at worst, and its memory usage is O(1) . Merge sort is always O(n log n), but its memory usage is O(n). Explain which algorithm you would use to implement a function that takes an array of integers and returns the max integer in the collection, assuming that the length of the array is less than 1000. What if the array length is greater than 1000?   Answer Question
    • If you roll 5 standard six-sided dice, what’s the probability that you get at least two 4s?

Also: you were offered the following bet: we pay you $1000 if you roll at least two 4s but you have to pay Rapleaf $1000 if you don't. Would you take the bet? Why or why not?

View Answer
    • We’re excited that you’re interested in a position here at Rapleaf. Why are you interested in working at Rapleaf in particular? What about Rapleaf excites you? Please limit yourself to 1-2 paragraphs.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Rapleaf in January 2012.

I went through my schools employee database to find this internship. I applied and they responded in a quick manner with a quiz that I needed to complete. I feel like I did well on the quiz (it had questions that related to databases, data structures, and trees.) But they responded and said that I did not get the internship.

Interview Questions
    • I only remember the question about sql of how to set up a database that they provided info for...   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Rapleaf in September 2011.

I got a online test, and it is very easy. It is like the problems posted on this website, I did them very quickly and I think the answers are all accurate. I finished and after a short time they send me a email about that my background is not very fit to the position but they will maintain my data, and notify me if there's a fit.

Ok, it seems that they never see the resume before, if they think I am not fit, why sending me the online test and waste my time to do those stupid problems? This company is so un-proffessional and I have never seen a company like this before.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Rapleaf in June 2011.

I submitted my resume via their website. After waiting a while for someone to respond, I decided to call them and get some feedback. I managed to convince the receptionist to put me in touch with the person who posted the job (the link mentioned the person's name). I talked to her for a few minutes and realized that even though she was the recruiter, she had no idea who I was or where I was in the system.

A short time later, I got the boilerplate "thank you but no thank you letter" - I laughed and tossed it because it was riddled with spelling and grammar errors.

Epilogue: After getting the e-Mail, I decided to dig deeper into Rapleaf and saw what they had to offer. Considering that I have been in their industry for a VERY long time (a lot longer than their CEO for that matter), I was unable to see how they differentiate themselves from the others in their space. Looking deeper, I decided to look at the executive staff and found blogs written by the CEO. Needless to say, I was not impressed. While Auren could be a nice guy in person, one thing is for sure -- he definitely loves himself and thinks he's infallible. I checked out his LinkedIn profile and confirmed why that was the case -- he happened to be at the right place and at the right time with a few companies and dumped them making a tidy profit along the way.

Avoid this place like the plague unless you perceive yourself as a "type A" personality who is willing to deal with a younger version of Larry Ellison, Marc Beninoff and the like but without the experience or class that they have.

Director of Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Rapleaf in March 2011.

Process consisted of 3 interviews, one initial phone screen with an HR recruiter, then an interview with the Head of Business Development and then an interview with the Head of Strategy. Interviews consisted of the standard "walk me through your resume" questions, as well as some brain teasers, which one interviewer didn't think was necessary but the other seemed to relish (my last interview).

Interview Questions
    • On a standard wall clock, if the time is 3:15, what is the angle between the minute and hour hands?   View Answer

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Rapleaf in January 2011.

I started my application online. After a few days, I got an e-mail with a link to an online screening test. There were five questions, four of which were technical. There was one probability question, one computer science theory question, one coding question, and one database question. The last question was "Why RapLeaf?" I get the impression that your answer to this question is pretty important, because it was revisited at every step in the interview. The technical questions weren't too challenging, but required a pretty secure knowledge of basic computer science and math.

I get the impression that the online test is pretty important to the entire interview process. It's more than just a filter.

A few days after I took the test, I got an e-mail saying "I passed", and the recruiter set up a phone interview. My interviewer was one of the founders of the company. It definitely seems like a small work environment! The interview was mostly a review of how I answered my questions on the online test. It focused on one especially open-ended question in which an optimization to my answer could be made.

After the first phone interview, I had another phone interview with the VP of engineering. He also touched on my answers to the questions of the online test and asked a few more technical questions, mostly involving probability.

Lastly, I was asked to implement Blackjack in Ruby. I was only given three days to do this (I hadn't used Ruby at all before), and it was at a pretty inconvenient time. Nevertheless, I had a lot of fun doing it. Ruby's a pretty neat language.

In less than 12 hours, I had an e-mail with an unofficial offer.

There aren't any in-person interviews for internships. I'm sure it's different for full time employees.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Rapleaf in December 2010.

Took the online test and setup a phone interview a couple days later. While my test answers were correct I found myself stumbling a bit when asked to elaborate on them. Specifically the question regarding the Kevin Bacon degrees. Be sure to know BFS and how to implement it in code.

Interview Questions
    • Design a database scheme for a basic version of IMDB, ie. Actors, movies, etc.   View Answer

Amazing Software Engineer - Generalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Rapleaf in June 2010.

First, I was asked to take a five-question online exam consisting of the following topics: coming up with a simple database schema, discussing an algorithm to find a path between two nodes, comparing two sorting algorithms, finding a probability, and talking about why you want to work at Rapleaf.

Then, I talked with the Vice President of Engineering for about an hour, during which I was given a probability-like question and a more in-depth question about finding the "lowest common duplicate" between two arrays.

After that, I was asked to write a simple blackjack game in Ruby.

Lastly, I was flown out for about eight hours of interviews including lunch and a presentation on a topic of my choice. I stumbled on several of the algorithmic questions and pretty much knew by the end of it that I was not going to receive an offer. I only thought that one of them was out of my reach even after a hint, but your mileage may vary.

All communications were quick, including the bad news at the end. Everybody was nice, but seemed very focused on academics/computing at, perhaps, the expense of a well-rounded life -- I did not get any sense of what anybody did outside of work or for fun (outside of programming, of course). The office is very open. Other than that, there are several conference rooms along the sides of the building.

Interview Questions
    • Why Rapleaf?   View Answer
    • You're given a string and a constant k -- (efficiently) return the substring of length k that is repeated *consecutively* most often.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Rapleaf in May 2010.

Online screener test with 5 questions which had to be completed in an hour. Questions included the design of simple database schema, suggestion of an algorithm to solve a common issue, a probability question, a why you want to join the firm question.

Interview Questions
    • Design a database schema for a simple movie listing website, showing movies and their actors.   Answer Question
    • In 5 rolls of a six sided dice, what is the probability that you will get more than 2 4s.   Answer Question

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Rapleaf in April 2010.

Communicates well, very professional HR staff. I had a 5 question email screen asking some Linux questions and a brief 2 paragraph story on something you've worked on. Then I had a phone screen with mostly linux sysadmin questions and some basic networking. Then was brought in for two interviews with 2 people each, all were developers but two of the developers also handle the current sysadmin responsibilities. Fun company culture, lots of bright people seem to be working there. Be prepared to answer developer questions, or be a developer as much as you are an administrator. If you come from a similar webapp company and did everything there, you probably have the skills that they are looking for.

Interview Questions
    • How would you build twitter?   Answer Question
    • How would you load balance and provide fail-over between their webapp located between two co-lo's?   View Answer
    • How would you approach building an application like tail to output the last 10 lines of a file?   View Answer
    • If twitter sent us a 4xx HTTP error code to back-off our queries to their API, how could we go about stopping our queries without re-coding anything?   View Answer