Raytheon Applied Signal Technology Interview Questions

Updated Feb 26, 2015

3.1

Software Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology.

Interview

I recieved a phone screen in November followed by a phone interview with a senior developer in December. The interview went well so they flew me out in January. They covered for your hotel, car, and flight. The onsite interview took place the next day. There were five interviewers, each person interviewed me for about 45 minutes each back to back. You may ask for a break in between each interview if you wish. The interviews were finished in a day time.

Interview Questions

• Questions about database, linux and C++ basic knowledge: What is inheritance? Can an abstract class be instantiated? What's the difference between a class and an object? What is a pointer? Difference between pass by reference and pass by value? Whiteboard coding and you are asked to identify what's wrong with a piece of code given to you.   Answer Question

Software Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology.

Interview

Applied online. Received an email expressing interest 3 days later. Received a phone interview after a week. Phone Interview Questions: How do you define Object-oriented programming? What's the difference between C and C++? What's the difference between TCP and UDP? What is a mutex? (Have you done any parallel programming?) I received an email to set up an on-site interview after one week from the phone interview. In person Interview Questions: swap an int (whiteboard) reverse a linked list (whiteboard) difference between shallow/deep copy byte swap (perform it) "What is a semaphore?" Simple Compression Algorithm (whiteboard. "aaabbcccc" becomes "a3b2c4") Check if string of parenthesis/brackets are well-formed. As in for every open paren/bracket, there is a close paren/bracket (whiteboard) What is blackbox vs. whitebox testing? Explain a use for Linux's "sed". How can a static member data be used? (singletons, etc.)

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Spoke only with a person from HR (not hiring manager, engineers, etc.). Negotiated a ~10% raise in base salary successfully. Bargaining chips: I simply didn't NEED the job and would keep on looking.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology (Sunnyvale, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

I was initially contacted by an external recruiter for this position. Then received an email from an internal recruiter saying to apply at a link provided in the email. I applied then had a phone interview set up. The phone interview questions weren't terribly difficult: "Have you used the STL?" "Describe the STL" "Have you used any of the STL algorithms?" "Describe how you decide which STL container to use?" "What is the difference between a map and a hash map?" "What are the required methods in C++?" "Describe the difference between C and C++" "Have you done multi threaded programming before?" "What is the difference between a process and a thread?" Within a couple of hours of the phone interview the Raytheon recruiter contacted me and said they wanted to bring me in for an on site interview. Please let her know my availability for the next few weeks, and fill out this job application (another one). A few days later I got an email from their HR rep saying my interview was in 2 weeks, bring my driver's license and my passport to verify citizenship. I arrived 10 minutes early for my interview. The building wasn't terrible difficult to find. The campus looked pretty nice, the buildings looked modern. The first interviewer was fairly nice, but asked a ton of questions. "Describe inheritance" "What is polymorphism?" "What design patterns have you used?" "What is singleton?" "Have you used the factory design pattern?" "What is the syntax to make a pure virtual function?" "Explain the difference between stack and heap memory?" "Explain the difference between malloc and new vs free and delete" "Describe an interface in java" "In C++ what is difference between a reference and a pointer?" "What about a const reference" "Tell me about copy constructors" "What is overloading?" "What is overriding?" "What is the difference between a struct and a class?" "What development cycles have you used?" "Ever use Agile?" "What do you like to do code-wise?" On paper implement a swap of two integer pointers. Now implement a method that reverses a linked list. Then the second interviewer came in, and it was like they were playing good interviewer vs bad interviwer. It was like he was interogating me. Everything I said he was like "tell me about that." Eventually he asked interview questions. "What is a heap?" "What is the difference between a char * and a string?" "What are the differences between C++ and Java?" "If Merriam Webster came to you and said 'implement our product', how would you do it?" "On the whiteboard write a code to sum the leaves of a tree" "write code to find the lowest number not in a group of numbers (very confusing question)" "In a unix directory structure search every text file and return me only the phone numbers...searching every file, which may or may not contain a phone number at all" "What do you like to do...codewise?" "Any questions for me?" (thank god that interview was over). Then the next interviewer walks in and introduces herself as the hiring manager. This is where I got a bad feeling. She barely shook my hand and wouldn't really even look at me. She just sat down facing the door, which means she pretty much had her back to me, and said "I don't have any questions, we had a lot of applicants we are interviewing for this position, we will try to let you know within the next two weeks, leave your badge at the front desk" ...yeah I knew at that point I had wasted a lot of time filling out job applications for one job.

Interview Questions

• "Write a method to return the lowest number not in a group of numbers"   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology (Sunnyvale, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

HR called, casual, not as expected from big company. Asked why want to relocate. Technical phone call in about a week. Asked TCP/DTP, thread communication etc. Basic C and system questions.

Interview Questions

• C/C++ and basic system level. Be prepared on this level.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology.

Interview

I visited their booth at my university's career fair. I talked to one of their Senior managers briefly at the booth, he was impressed and skipped the phone interview and told me that they would be in touch to schedule an onsite interview. A week later, I got a call from them and within days I was at their Sunnyvale location for an onsite interview. The interview lasted for 3 hrs, after which there was a lunch. I think they discussed how that went amongst themselves while I was out at lunch. Right after I talked to their HR rep and got an offer the same day.

Interview Questions

• Had 3 interviewers, each one lasting about 45 minutes. Questions weren't too difficult, some algorithm questions, some about logic coding questions. There were questions about OO design/ideas, polymorphism, virtual functions, etc. Most difficult question was about writing a merge sort algorithm (I had to whiteboard it. Got it correct)   Answer Question

Senior Cyber Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Annapolis Junction, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology (Annapolis Junction, MD).

Interview

The interview process was pretty relaxed. I was expecting the typical technical interview with folks asking a series of questions that gauged my technical ability. What I received was a very relaxing conversation. It was friendly, interesting, and still achieved the above in a very indirect manner. Obviously if you're going to support a client you'll also have a client interview that can be technical as well, and those seem to be more traditional.

Interview Questions

• It was very much based on thought process and reasoning, not whether you can provide a definitive and correct answer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation was necessary. AST was extremely generous in their offer, actually exceeding what I asked for by a very generous amount. The downside was my offer was contingent of acceptance to a program, and this took about 8 months since their programs are primarily government focused.

Senior Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

Internal Interview Process

Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology (Salt Lake City, UT) in October 2009.

Interview

Ran into an acquaintance at the RAST booth at job fair, so they skipped the phone screen, I had two 90 minute panel interviews. Explained my resume accomplishments and answered technical test questions to 2 panels of 3 or 4 engineers. They seemed fairly friendly, but also grilled me to see what my knowledge level was.

Interview Questions

• Sorting a Linked list with pros and cons of different implementations   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't really try to negotiate since I didn't have any other offers. Don't make my mistake, you'll only ever get incremental annual raises after.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology in February 2010.

Interview

Got a call from a recruiter. Talked about my background and such. But then told me the position I was applying for was no longer available.

Interview Questions

• If I can obtain a security clearance. That means citizenship is required for me,my spouse, my children, parents, siblings and anyone whom I have close ties.   Answer Question