Raytheon Applied Signal Technology

3.3

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology in August 2014.

I was initially contacted by an external recruiter for this position. Then received an email from an internal recruiter saying to apply at a link provided in the email. I applied then had a phone interview set up. The phone interview questions weren't terribly difficult: "Have you used the STL?" "Describe the STL" "Have you used any of the STL algorithms?" "Describe how you decide which STL container to use?" "What is the difference between a map and a hash map?" "What are the required methods in C++?" "Describe the difference between C and C++" "Have you done multi threaded programming before?" "What is the difference between a process and a thread?"

Within a couple of hours of the phone interview the Raytheon recruiter contacted me and said they wanted to bring me in for an on site interview. Please let her know my availability for the next few weeks, and fill out this job application (another one). A few days later I got an email from their HR rep saying my interview was in 2 weeks, bring my driver's license and my passport to verify citizenship.

I arrived 10 minutes early for my interview. The building wasn't terrible difficult to find. The campus looked pretty nice, the buildings looked modern. The first interviewer was fairly nice, but asked a ton of questions. "Describe inheritance" "What is polymorphism?" "What design patterns have you used?" "What is singleton?" "Have you used the factory design pattern?" "What is the syntax to make a pure virtual function?" "Explain the difference between stack and heap memory?" "Explain the difference between malloc and new vs free and delete" "Describe an interface in java" "In C++ what is difference between a reference and a pointer?" "What about a const reference" "Tell me about copy constructors" "What is overloading?" "What is overriding?" "What is the difference between a struct and a class?" "What development cycles have you used?" "Ever use Agile?" "What do you like to do code-wise?" On paper implement a swap of two integer pointers. Now implement a method that reverses a linked list.

Then the second interviewer came in, and it was like they were playing good interviewer vs bad interviwer. It was like he was interogating me. Everything I said he was like "tell me about that." Eventually he asked interview questions. "What is a heap?" "What is the difference between a char * and a string?" "What are the differences between C++ and Java?" "If Merriam Webster came to you and said 'implement our product', how would you do it?" "On the whiteboard write a code to sum the leaves of a tree" "write code to find the lowest number not in a group of numbers (very confusing question)" "In a unix directory structure search every text file and return me only the phone numbers...searching every file, which may or may not contain a phone number at all" "What do you like to do...codewise?" "Any questions for me?" (thank god that interview was over).

Then the next interviewer walks in and introduces herself as the hiring manager. This is where I got a bad feeling. She barely shook my hand and wouldn't really even look at me. She just sat down facing the door, which means she pretty much had her back to me, and said "I don't have any questions, we had a lot of applicants we are interviewing for this position, we will try to let you know within the next two weeks, leave your badge at the front desk" ...yeah I knew at that point I had wasted a lot of time filling out job applications for one job.

Interview Questions
    • "Write a method to return the lowest number not in a group of numbers"   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology in August 2014.

HR called, casual, not as expected from big company.
    Asked why want to relocate.
    Technical phone call in about a week.
    Asked TCP/DTP, thread communication etc. Basic C and system questions.

Interview Questions
    • C/C++ and basic system level. Be prepared on this level.   Answer Question

Senior Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Raytheon Applied Signal Technology in January 2011.

Internal Interview Process